Graphic Hannibal Lecter retread is compelling and dark.

Teen, 16 years old Written byRussianSn1per June 1, 2013

A Masterpiece!

Hannibal is one of the best shows on television. The cast is amazing and every scene is beautifully shot and a work of art. This show is an incredible new take on the classic story of Hannibal lecter. However, due to the nature of this story, it is very bloody and not for squeamish viewers. The subject matter may also be very disturbing to some viewers. However, don't let this stop you from enjoying this masterpiece. Additionally there is one review giving this show a 1 star rating and a review saying "don't even watch it". This is the kind of stupidity I hate to see on this website because it turns people away from amazing shows like this for the simple reason that they object to something depicted in the program. If you can't handle the show then don't watch it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSoularcher May 26, 2013

Gripping, but Violent

Hannibal was recommended to me in various occasions through the internet, and after finishing my last series, I decided to give it a try. I'm not up to date yet, but this is what I have to say so far: It's really good. The plotline is extremely interesting, and it's hard to get bored watching this. Also, the show itself has amazing cinematography, and the characters are well-thought and three-dimensional. But there's a reason I haven't recommended it so much until now: it's graphic. It's probably the most violent thing I've ever watched. But I'm mature for my age, and I'm not easily freaked out by these sort of things. Still, I'd leave it up to the teen to judge if they feel comfortable watching it. If after the ending of the first episode they're up to it, then it's okay. But don't have anybody younger than fourteen or thirteen watch it.
Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2013

dont even watch it

not at all apropriate for children
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byTsion December 27, 2013

Deep, Dark, and Disgusting

Hannibal is one of the classiest, most artistic TV shows I've ever seen. In addition to building the Hannibal Lecter legend from the ground-up in an impressively realistic and sinister manner, this show supersedes its entertaining plot and becomes a thoughtful meditation on the horrific emotional and psychological effects of violence on everyone it touches, from victims and law enforcement to perpetrators. The show is a slow burn at first, but as it gains steam through the season it becomes absolutely riveting and mind-blowing. Mads Mikkelsen's performance as Lecter is smolderingly sinister and frightening but also occasionally alluring and sympathetic. His understated emotion and quiet physical cues make Anthony Hopkins' legendary portrayal seem cheesy in contrast. The rest of the cast is also uniformly excellent, especially regulars Laurence Fishbourne and Hugh Dancy as well as guest stars Eddie Izzard, Raul Esparza, and Gillian Anderson. All of this praise comes with a very important caveat, however: this show is absolutely not for children of any age. It's certainly the most graphic, gory program I've ever seen on television (including TV-MA cable offerings like American Horror Story), and how it manages to skim by with a TV-14 is absolutely beyond me. Every type of gratuitous violent act, from cannibalism to dismemberment, is shown onscreen. The most alarming visuals come from the aftermaths of horrific crimes, where corpses are seen after immolation, skinning, decomposition, etc. The DVDs are even more graphic, containing "Producer's Cuts" of episodes that are too bloody for TV. All of this sounds terribly unnecessary and appalling, but in actuality the show is very conscious of the way it portrays violence, even removing one episode from airing because of recent headlines-making violence. I'm traditionally more upset by violence than I am with sex or profanity in TV and movies, but Hannibal is one of my favorite shows. All of the violence it shows has a point, and is never, ever glamorized or idealized in the least. It's explicit and monstrous, but is meant to have a negative effect on the audience and characters. Kids and teens won't be able to appreciate the context surrounding the gore; they'll just be overwhelmed by it. But for discerning adults who think they're able to stomach it, Hannibal is one of the most contemplative, mature shows to grace primetime television.
Teen, 14 years old Written byErin grad17 April 27, 2013

It's great

This is a really great show but it is a little creepy because of the murder theme.
Teen, 13 years old Written byStrawberry100 May 17, 2013

Its Great!!!

Im 13 and I watch hannibal every week I think its great!!! It really exciting and made really well I highly recommend watching it. It is not much scarier than a show like CSI
Adult Written bychristian2011 May 6, 2013

Great show. Compelling, dark, disturbing and brilliant. Too intense for young teens.

The new TV series Hannibal is a major success in my book. The plot, storyline and the characters (acting) is great. It's about a psychopathic cannibalistic serial killer (Hannibal Lecter) who works as a psychiatrist and he works with a gifted criminal investigator who can see flashbacks of how the murder took place, which he somehow takes advantage of. For a TV-14 rated show, the violence is very graphic with blood and gore shown quite explicitly - with grisly scenes of murdered, decomposed and cannibalized victims, plus people whom are killed in their own home (a mother and daughter have their throats slit with a realistic feel). The language and drug use is minimal, nothing to be concerned about, but there's some brief nudity with mild sexual themes, but infrequent. Due to the intense dark and eerie atmosphere and the theme about a sadistic cannibal killer can easily disturb most viewers, even adults. I'd say at least 16+ if they're very mature.
Parent Written byJudith365 February 19, 2015

Great show, Some Gore

Though it is violent in nature, Hannibal is not excessively gory. The violence is also different from most violent shows, and the actual killings are not shown; only the aftermath, which is why this show is ok for most kids. Only concern is there are some swear words. Otherwise, should be ok for most kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJeffrey9789 January 21, 2014

A very good show that has alot of gore

if your a fan of silence of the lambs or a fan of Hannibal lector in general you"ll like this show even if you haven't seen those film like me you"ll also like Hannibal it is a very interesting show that keeps you on the edge of your seat until the end of every episode it is also very violent, brutal and creepy its everything that will keep a person interested for the entire show so go watch the show you will love it
Teen, 14 years old Written byHannibal-Graham221 June 1, 2013

Brilliant show, acting, writing, and scenery.

I have always been a fan of the books and movies, and at first I was hesitant because I thought the show wouldn't be as good. It's brilliant! People make a big deal about the gore and violence, but one can name 100 other shows more violent than this. They do not show Hannibal eating someone alive. The dishes are prepared to look delicious, which is even more interesting. Acting is great. The violence is graphic but not overdone, because the plot in its entirety focuses more on the characters. Recommended for teens and up, or anyone who isn't squeamish. The thing people should be careful about is feeling horrible or Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter's manipulation skills. The show seems to manipulate the viewers' emotions as well, so watch out.
Adult Written byhamstergurl09 May 4, 2013

Very Good

I love this show. It's ridiculously compelling. I can remember some instances where I shouted stuff at the screen because I got so into it. I watch all the episodes religiously (including the one not aired in the USA, which I had to find online). I'm really into dark themes, and I'm looking to major in forensics when I get to college (I'm 15 and in grade ten right now), so this stuff is right up my alley. All of the actors are phenomenal, particularly Hugh Dancy as Will Graham and Mads Mikkelsen as Hannibal Lecter. I like the psychological angle of the show. It does a lot of in-depth and interesting exploration of relationships between characters. In particular I'm fascinated by the relationship between Hannibal Lecter and Abigail Hobbes. After seeing "Silence of the Lambs," with Lecter in prison mostly just giving cryptic hints, it's cool to see what he's like in the outside world, interacting with others prior to his incarceration. Will Graham has a strange form of empathy, which allows him to put himself in the shoes of the killer and assist with criminal investigation. He possesses that trait partly due to his autism. I like the portrayal of an autistic person fighting crime; it's something seldom seen in media. The show often displays scenes through the (sort of) eyes of Will Graham, which is really cool. If you are particularly freaked out by murder, you shouldn't watch this. But I encourage mature teens and adults who like suspense to watch this show.
Adult Written byA. Wing August 20, 2016

Gripping psychological thriller (not for the faint of heart!)

Hannibal is a very violent show (even though much of the violence is implied), and for every person I've personally recommended this show to, they always have something to say about the blood and gore (it can be hard to watch at some times.) However, the violence is often done artistically, and Hannibal is an extremely beautiful and an expertly-shot show overall. I particularly like Hannibal because of the deeply intellectual conversations between characters, and its critical exploration of mental health and psychopathy. The manipulation Hannibal exerts over other characters (especially Will Graham) is so brilliant (in the way I just want to yell at the screen sometimes!) I also admire how Hannibal is a very good chef, and all of his meals are exquisite masterpieces (even for a vegetarian like myself)...no victims are eaten raw! Definitely a perfect show for mature teens like myself who can handle all of the blood. :)
Kid, 12 years old June 9, 2013

Great show but dark and violent

Great dark and compelling but know your child with this can be great so some but horrible and imprintable for others.
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byJohnnygator May 27, 2013

Intense yet enjoyable

Skip thru the gory murders ( less than 5 minutes total spent on screen perepisod) and you will find a compelling thrilling nail biting story. Can't wait for next weeks episode. Not for children. But for mature audiences.
Kid, 12 years old November 15, 2016

modern masterpiece not for the squeamish

ubiquitous violence but a bloody masterpiece, beautifully shot and crafted, compelling and dark. be warned, graphic imagery such as a man and a woman with their back skinned with the excess skin strung from their shoulders to look like wings. mural made of dead corpses with someone still alive sewed together with the other bodies. mushrooms grown over numerous carcasses. man shoves his thumbs in to both of a womans eyes, distressing on numerous levels. cannibalism and frequent murder is prevalent. but still wonderfully acted, noteworthy ensemble cast, gripping and intense but stil worth the watch.
Parent Written byroxanne20 February 19, 2015

Great Show, Artistic Violence

Not what you would expect from a serial-killer based show. This show is a very good show, and is very compelling. In my opinion, it is less violent than other shows. This is because the violence is almost artistic. Just like in art. There are some scary scenes, but most violence is implied. I let my 10 yr old watch alone, she loves this show. Only issue is there are some swear words, but it isn't too graphic.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZarastella June 22, 2014

Hannibal review

I adore hannibal it's currently the best thing on tv. I get scared and have nightmares very easily but this doesn't happen with hannibal it's so well shot and isn't all about murder it's about the pschylogical side of things and how hannibal is manipulating everyone including you. It's action packed but be warned quite gory but honestly not that bad at all as long as you can handle the gore you can watch this and I recommend it highly. It also has a huge online hilarious funny fandom of fannibals.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBeth Wiesinger June 9, 2013

Maturity Level

Viewer discretion is there for a reason. Hannibal is a show with frequent gore but great story lines and plots. The age to watch really depends on the maturity level of the viewer. I am a 13 year old female and can handle gore and violence without flinching. If you think you or your child is up for it, go for it. Hannibal is a great show. (Hugh Dancy!! :D)
Teen, 14 years old Written byFunkypigeon2 April 23, 2014

Read this

People complain that this is too gory, mainly because they are under the legal age limit, they shouldn't be watching it. The legal age is 15 and that sounds about right. There is hardly any swearing, sex or use of drugs, just plain old killing which can be quite bloody.
Parent Written bykvturner July 12, 2013

Watch it after bed time.

Not for kids. Please, don't let them watch this. I can barely handle certain scenes, and I'm in my twenties and a horror movie fanatic. I'm pretty sure that even older teens need to hold off on this one. there are plenty of other shows they can watch. Save this one to watch when all of the kids are in bed.