No-frills sitcom is lackluster in every way.

Adult Written byHasana April 9, 2008

Jim Crow hits a new low

I tried a couple of times to sit down and watch TPHP and couldn't get past the first commercial break. This is show depicts cooning at its finest. I am embarassed to see black people huff, shuck n' jive on national tv. The worst part is the jokes aren't funny at all and the storyline is unoriginal and not to mention the acting is a bit "iffy". I discourage any from watching this modern day black face comedy.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySilverSnake July 16, 2010

I don't see whats wrong with it..

Wow, THIS show got bad ratings yet The Suite Life on Deck got better ones? I think the actings really good, the lessons are good, its funny and relatable. The characters have their own attitude and ARE interesting, the plots are a little scrambled, but really good. Just give it a shot. Its better than soaps!
Adult Written byEyewitness December 8, 2008

Poor Writing

Unfortunately, this is some of the worst writing I have ever been exposed to. The plot is non-existent. There is no definable story line. The character development is shallow leading one to believe that the story is being written by sixth graders. The humor is juvenile, the scenes are choppy, the dialogue is fragmented, the actors do not come across as real characters and the soundtrack is weak and incongruent with the imagery of the filming.
Adult Written bybqma April 9, 2008

House of Payne is Painful to Watch

I am totally disappointed with this show. The father is LOUD and not funny. The jokes are stale and predictable. Terry Perry plays and movies are much better than this obnoxious show.
Adult Written bymahilana July 28, 2010

Don't waste your time

The show could have some good messages to the viewer, however, it seems like they're trying too hard to be funny. The show touches on subjects that don't really come around children unless they're living under a bridge in Compton. The language of the characters isn't bad but it's basically ghetto slang that I feel will only make someone look uneducated if they spoke that way. I've watched this show a few times to give it a shot plus love Tyler Perry movies so I thought the show would be good but I didn't laugh once and it was hard to stay interested. Overall, bad show with bad comedy and bad topics. Only watch it if there is absolutely nothing else on.
Adult Written byMissKatea April 9, 2008

Step up or ship out

House of Payne has one good actor Alan Payne. The rest of the cast is not able to keep up with his ability as an actor. Either step up or ship out!
Adult Written bymwright0622 April 9, 2008

I laughed!

First of all, i don't understand why there's so many negative comments about this show. Tyler Perry has come up with so many great movies,plays and now tv show. My husband and I watch the show every week and we tape it so that my kids can watch it the next day. This is a show that gets people (and families) to discuss issues. The one with the young boy talking to someone on the internet and the trouble that came with that started a real discussion in our home with the kids who now understand why we watch over everything they do online. I think Tyler Perry is doing a great job and i'll continue to support his work! BTW.. from every show i've watched of House of Payne.. CJ and the kids live with his Uncle..not father ?! the boy in college is the son..just a little tidbit of info :O)
Parent Written byCriticalBug June 21, 2012

CSM doesn't have the common sense to update it's review.

Do not read the review from this site because it is old & outdated. The show has actually made a lot of decent changes. The "What parents need to know" section is outdated as well because Janine has recovered and is now a PR rep for the city's fire department. The "What's the story?" section is also outdated as the series has moved waaaay past that now. CJ & Janine are married again and they now have 4 kids and a brand new house. It's a shame CSM only chose to review the negative & never bothered to update it's review; still leaving people think HOP is still like it used to be. Very misleading.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bydaKillah1979 August 28, 2010

THIS MY JUNT!!!!

Best series ever, my man Tyler Perry does it again. None like a Payne man!
Adult Written bychauna5779 April 9, 2008

I love Madea

I thought the first two episodes were great! I love Madea and Brown. I have seen all the plays, movies and read the book and I have never been disappointed yet. It's something the whole family can look at. My kids love Madea and thinks she's really funny! It's better TV for television without all the bad language and sex scenes that they have on every other channel now days.
Adult Written byglect22 April 9, 2008

Re-Run

this show is a copy of past hit shows(Roc, Family Matters, cosby's, etc). only difference is the main character is a non-factor(Payne). story lines are old and not fresh.
Adult Written bynate2 April 9, 2008

My Review

I believe Tyler Perry did an excellant job. I didn't at first enjoy his previous movies, but after siting down viewing some of them for myself, I look forward to watching more of his shows coming to a theater near me.
Adult Written byinmydreems April 9, 2008

Tired writing, poor acting - Must Not See TV

I've only seen one Madea movie and it was mildly entertaining. I was hoping the TV show would be a little tighter and work on family relationships. The canned laugh track is stupid, ill-used and has to go. Get an audience like Perry has at his plays and you might have something. But then again, the audience just might not laugh . . . or cry . . . they just might sit there bored like my family did.
Adult Written byjcb30093 April 9, 2008

TIRED FORMULA

Where do I begin? Poor writing, stale sets, insulting laugh track, low energy, sub-mediocre acting, uninteresting characters...all of it needs work. I admire his success elsewhere in the industry but Tyler Perry may consider getting some help with the writing, filming in front of a live audience to elevate the energy level and allowing his characters to become more fully realized by having them interact with non-principal characters.
Adult Written bynita April 9, 2008

I didn't like it at all

I first want to say that I'm a fan of Tyler but this sitcom I'm not to thrilled with the first to sitcom I was waiting for it to get funny and it didn't, so I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt and watch again this past week and it was just as dry. I'm really not feeling it. Not at all what I expected. Hopefully the following shows will get better.
Adult Written byDIAMOND D April 9, 2008

Come On Tyler!!! You are suppose to be the new Cosby!!!

Dear Mr. Perry Let me say this as a true fan!!!! This is your first sitcom, and I support a brother!!!! BUT YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS!!!! For me the characters are to shallow!!!! The show is popcorny at best. In you films you really touched on the issue in the black community.!!! You need to find your innerself and do that again!!!! Black America needs another Cosby, an your it Bruh!!!! I'll keep you in prayer. We need you!! Sincerely Damon W. Bethel
Adult Written bytammylo1229 April 9, 2008

Finnaly

This is a great family show that we al needed.
Teen, 13 years old Written byVeronique148 February 15, 2012

Sorry t.p.

this show was good at first but now dont even waste your time on it.Jazmine and Malik arent there cause they're both with disney calvin is on some other show time to time and the emotions in the show now are dull and way overreacting.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycooljay78 December 21, 2010

a bombsand d bombs

and also curtis and ella dont actualy sa the word sexbut the refreces are ovious like thy say '' whi is the ;last tme yo youknowed but overall this shou is funnyy!lol rofl and lmao
Parent of a 13 year old Written bytoocool October 22, 2009
the show is not funny,very dated.The acting sucks,i can really direct and write this show,and make it 100% better. I knows wath it needs.