All member reviews for How I Met Your Mother

Clever sitcom about love features sex talk, drinking.

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byheather.parker October 6, 2012

Sex

I watched 5 minutes of this show and all they talked about was sex.
Kid, 10 years old January 1, 2011

funny

very funny but has some inapropreite moments
Teen, 15 years old Written bybobbeta30 January 23, 2011

Awesome!

I love this show! It's great for most ages and it's funny. Trust me, the stuff they hear on T.V. is sterile clean compared to stuff at school.
Parent Written bySam Thomas August 5, 2012

Very good programme and suitable for older children

This is fine for children 11 and up in my opinion. Its a really good show and parents should let there children of 11 to watch it, its harmless.
Teen, 14 years old Written byauroraisgaming May 20, 2016

How I Met Your Mother Is Really Good!

I have watched all 9 seasons 2 times, and I am currently watching it the 3rd time round. There is quite a bit of sexual talk, and occasional light swearing, but the overall messages are really good. I am not going to ruin it for anyone who hasn't yet seen it, but the show is amazing and I even prefer it to Friends!
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written by01 man February 15, 2011

well

one of my dauters came home from school one day tellying me that her friend watched this and thought it was so funny so i thought i would try it wow im glad i lisened to my daughter on this one me and her where in the floor laughing the whole time
Parent of a 8 year old Written bytamar14 March 15, 2011

Mature 13+ should be fine for this excellent sitcom

This is a great show (though it's definitely been sliding since s4) that's probably okay for some 12-13 year olds. Everyone 13+ is probably fine. Some episodes can mention sex quite a bit (the absolute worst episodes ever are probably the three where orgies involving 10 and 12 partners and a vibrator are mentioned, all in season 2). Just make sure your kids know what sex is. Otherwise... yeah, no.
Adult Written byFancyChristine15 October 7, 2010

Great for teens and adults

The only thing negative about the show is how much they talk about sex. This show is hilarious. I love it. I want to be best friends with Marshal, Lily, Ted, Robin, and Barney.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLoveOwenWilson September 16, 2010

teens....older

LOL...love Barney....his jokes are sooo funny!!!! hahhahaha!! it's way tooo dirty but its' one heck of a laugh! for sarcastic humor and peeing in ur pants...u'd better sneak this in ur room and watch it!!
Parent Written byhahaIhaveanaccount March 13, 2016

just like friends!!! :)

despite this having a few inappropriate moments, this show has a wonderful message for people.
Parent Written bynewdoc April 11, 2015

It's all about sex.

Not sure how you could even think about letting any pre-pubertal child watch this show. There is no subtlety about the sexual content and it is pervasive across the episodes. This is actually a well written show for adults and possibly older teens based on your parental choices.
Adult Written byMichaelfromsalem January 23, 2015

Not as it seems

I understand that some people might think this show is very inappropriate because of the bad influences (Barney). However, 4 of the 5 main characters are exceptionally good influences proving to Barney how bad his personality is. I have 3 children who all started watching this show at a young age. At first I was worried, but than I found out that this show accually teaches about how BAD it is to be like these "influences". Which demonstrates all along not terrible ideas
Parent Written bymycaricature January 22, 2014

Clever and witty comedy for adults, not children

A personal favorite. This is a wonderfully clever and witty comedy for adults. It is just not for children or tweens. The comedy is set largely in a bar. R-rated sex discussion is a major factor in the show. There are positive relationships, but largely they make themselves clear over a span of time and can easily be lost in an occasional-episode-viewing.
Kid, 12 years old August 18, 2012

Hilarious and Slightly Suggestive

This show is all about how Ted Mosby tells his teenage children how I met their mother. Sex plays a major role in the comedy as there is a serial womanizer among a group of 5 very close friends. Bad things are replaced with everyday activities. Things such as smoking, having loud sex, and pointed the middle finger were replaced with "eating a sandwich," playing bagpipes," and "giving a thumbs up" respectively. Th charaters always find their ways out of things, and relationships are strong. Parts of this show are not believable, but they are amusing. Character outlines: Ted Mosby: A architecture professor who is looking for "the one." Robin Scherbatsky: A news anchor who was against marriage earlier, but marries (spoiler alert!) Barney Stintson, the womanizer. Barney Stintson: The serial womanizer who often speaks of his sexual conquests to his friends. His character changes into a caring one and her marries (spoiler alert) Robin Scherbatsky. Marshall Erikson: A lawyer who is very naive. He is Lily's wife. Lily Aldrin: Marshall's wife, a kindergarten teacher. She is a good cook and is often sought out for advice.
Parent Written byFrankinf May 28, 2012

okay for kids over 8

funny and well that is it
Teen, 13 years old Written byBook_lover98 April 21, 2011

How I Met Your Mother Taught Me How To Be Hilarious!

I completely love this show! Yes there is some explicit sexual references, and Barney is completely and utterly a horrible rolemodel, the humor is perfect for tweens! And the fact that Ted is looking for a real relationship says something.
Kid, 12 years old November 6, 2010
kids are hearing this stuff at school 2 they might as well hear it on tv
Kid, 12 years old August 27, 2010

One of the best series ever!

I am inlove with HIMYM it's just so funny!. Sometimes an episode can be funny, emotional and inappropriate. But its too long to get to the point where they actually show who Ted marries (The Mother) on HIMYM, so that kinda puts a lot of suspense into it. Ted is a sweet and kind guy he's awesome. Barney on the other hand is a sex addict, he always talks about girls and sex. In some of the episodes he falls inlove with Robin which i thought was sooo sweet. But they wouldnt make a cute couple. Robin is one of the characters i dont like so much :| (I dont know why). Marshall&Lily are like the best characters!!! I was so sad in those episodes where they broke up and they cancelled their wedding! Im really hoping to see more of the episodes and finally figure out who the mother is!!
Adult Written byclarence August 4, 2015
Parent Written bymattbruns3 February 27, 2015

Entertaining but not for kids.

This show has content that's for teens and adults. It has sexual content, strong language and some drinking.