All member reviews for iCarly

Interactive show raises social media issues for tweens.

Parent of a 7, 7, 8, 11, and 14 year old Written byChrist-Lover April 24, 2011

No good role models.

I find my children watching this all the time (Except my fourteen year old) and it is not appropriate. There are terrible role models. My younger daughters are always acting like Sam. I agree with ilovecookiez, Carly is a spoiled brat, always asking Spencer (who usually does get what she wants) what she wants. I've caught an episode where Spencer decides to actually act like a parental guardian and not let Carly go to a wrestling game. Then Carly goes on a rage, and chases Spencer around trying to attack him in some sort of way. Including bowling balls. How ridiculous. I thought Carly was fifteen or sixteen and this is how she acts? And Freddy's mom gets treated very poorly. Freddy moved out just because she was being overprotective. Now this I know will get my kids attention. Thanks, to this show, whenever I say "no" to my daughter (a 7-year-old) she acts just like Carly did in that one episode. There is no such thing as being overprotective, there are a lot of dangerous things out there. Freddy's mom is probably the only good role model that the show is promoting to be the bad guy. Another thing is that they CONSTANTLY use God's name in vein. They also talk about boobs a lot (but not as much now it's just bra). Still not age appropriate. I recommend not watching this until your twelve or thirteen unless they take role models. Also, did you notice how ungrateful they were in iDo? Goodness! Instead of being happy for getting invited to a wedding and even becoming BRIDESMAIDS (and the special man, or whatever it's called) they start whining like they have nothing good in their life and start complaining about singing or how the outfits were ugly, which, by the way, were very nice clothes, and I'm pretty sure were very expensive. I swear, if people acted like that at my wedding, I would've told them how much money I spent on this, and I would've told them to get out without a doubt. Gosh, this show makes me want to cuss a paragraph, and I never cuss! Also, those girls cyberbully. Every single time someone treats them badly (which they don't seem to notice that they're treating even WORST) they talk trash about them on their popular web show. Just let it go for crying out loud. I'm sorry this world isn't filled with rainbows and butterflies. What? Do you want Spencer to fix that too? Unbelievable! Also, 8-year-olds are not tweens. 10-12 year olds are. Sorry for the misspellings before, I type way too fast!
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byhintonrae August 9, 2009

Okay for older kids, absurd for 8 yr olds

I'm very concerned about the amount of kissing, the bra waving, and boob references that occur in this show for tweens, and think that the preponderence of such is definitely sending the wrong message. Already in middle school kids are feeling very pressured to explore their sexual sides in negative ways; this just emphasizes the necessity for doing so. The idea that it's okay for 8 yr olds to start watching and getting these ideas at this age is absurd.
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byconnielove93 February 8, 2010

Grow up parents!

Grow up parents, a little sexy stuff won't hurt your kids. I've seen worse in commercials. If anything you can use it as a teaching tool so they don't ask their friends at school. I'm sure a six year old won't understand what a hobknocker is. You can just tell them not to repeat it and teach them something about bad language. Sam may be a little violent but she does stand up for herself, and in this world you can't be a pushover. Parents tend to overlook the good aspects of things, this show is funny and teaches kids about expressing themselves in various ways.I let my child watch it because I watch it with her and explain to her like this, if you do these things in the real world you will get real world consequences. :)
Kid, 12 years old September 21, 2009

Crude, Rude, And Too Much Attitude

Personally, as I child, I have many issues with this show. Sure, Carly is a girl who can stick up for herself. The show gets one point for that. Sam is VIOLENT and spontaneously teases and hurts a boy named Gibby in their school. They use Sam's meanness toward him for humor, and I find that very disturbing. About the 'ROMANTIC' factor: I think everyone should be comfortable with the human body, and romance definitely is not a bad thing. In this show, they talk about too much 'love', though. They jump from one boy to another, and say things like 'hot'. Kids should know that to have a successful relationship you can't do that. LANGUAGE: The site says it's not an issue, but it is. It seems the writer's have a lack of vocabulary, because they don't know what a hobo is. They continuously use the word for humor, when it is an actual career. Some people choose to hobo, and others are forced to. A hobo travels and does manual labor. Miranda Cosgrove, they wouldn't have a neighborhood hobo, it would be a neighborhood bum. They use other terms like 'skunkbag'. They aren't considered cursewords, but they are hurtful and should not be used. CONSUMERISM: The show itself has become very popular and is making a lot of money off of its crude humor. In the show, in one episode the iCarly crew is paid money to advertise for a shoe on the show and goes all out in a spending spree. Consumerism=bad. They also DO NOT MAKE GOOD ROLE MODELS. People often show an extreme preference for Carly over the others. However, Carly gossips, uses innapropriate language, and is unkind toward Freddie. One may think that is Sam, but they both are. They tend to tease him, and sometimes they seem like they are being condescending toward him. They influence children in a bad way when the child watching is not mature enough. THE MESSAGES AREN'T GOOD: On occasion, you'll see a lesson in morals in the fine print, but otherwise no. They once go to a man's funeral just to get his pie recipe and stall so they can hack his computer and search it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byblah86397 August 16, 2011

Calm Down

all of you need to loosen up honestly your kids are not going to be influenced by iCarly and if you think the show is making them disrespectful then you should teach them manners and not to pay attention to what FICTIONAL characters do on TV
Adult Written byRaistian77 April 11, 2009

No Consequences for bad behaviour

After watching a whole episode with my step daughters I have to admit this is the worst kids show on the network. First the personal information the icarly team realease onto the net is staggering. Id bet that alot of sexual predators hope that more children would follow in the icarly footsteps. Second and most important is the fact that there are never any consequences for the bad things the kids do. No lessons learned or im sorrys or anything In one episode the kids want to see a figting match and are told no by the adults so they sneak out and do so anyway. When they get caught the older brother is beaten up by one of the fighters, the lesson its ok no one gets in trouble and there are lots of laughing about the situation. The fighter gets to be on the icarly show and never apologises for the fact he beat up the adult when the adult tried to take the kids back home. Third is sam she beats up on alot of kids and is played off for laugs and is shown to be cool so this show teaches kids to give out personal info, disrespect adults and misbehave and be bullies to others, sorry but it show be pulled from the air its not fit for human consumption.
Adult Written bygsdrock August 8, 2011

iCarly rocks

Come on people! It's a TV show! There is kissing and stuff, but it is NOT real!
Educator and Parent Written byStephanie1234wuzhere November 9, 2010

Inapproprite for young kids

Too much sexy stuff! They mention boobies,sex,kissing and inappropriate clothing. Sam is also super mean to Freddie. Shes gotten out of control. My six year old was watching zoey 101 and then icarly came on. The next morning she came down and asked "Whats sex?" And i said"Where did u hear that word?" and she said "Icarly they said it and i don't know what it means". I then watched the episode on demand and was appalled. this is a good show for 12+ but not for younger kids. really not.
Adult Written byEven God Laughs January 15, 2012

Stop being lazy!

Honestly, if parents take the time to watch the WHOLE dynamic of the show and not just one episode, an intelligent person can come to notice the sarcasm and hidden positive messages in iCarly. Not all material is meant to be taken seriously and yes we all know "but children do not understand sarcasm"...so as parents we are going to put our kids in boxes? Protect them away, bound to never see light and the natural honesty of the world? Stop being lazy! If there is a topic that you find sarcastic (meant to be a joke and not an actual real world act that is acceptable), find the time to actually talk to your children! Explain why that certain behavior is meant to be taken as a joke in that tv show but not to be done in real life. It's quite insulting when I read how parents here decided to discriminate the show based on duties that a PARENT should do. Another point, is that if you see the development of character between Carly, Sam, and Freddie...you find the connection to teaching kids how a person grows. Yes Carly was practically spoiled, but look how her character grows...she actually decided to take action and get a job to better her room. Sam, she is constantly being crushed by ignorant parents on here. Number one, she represents a girl who had a hard life: a father who left her, a mother who doesn't care or is even there for her half her life, and being shunned to the side by a "popular" "better" sister. Of course many of her age would take out their frustrations in impulsive ways as she does. You have to be understanding. A bully is a bully but have you given the time to understand why the bully acts that way? What drove them to that low point? Abuse? Rape? Number two, Sam has grown as a character as well..she found out that it's okay to open up once in awhile, not be afraid to show true feelings and fall in love, to take chances when the going gets tough, to endure those hard life moments in order to learn to better one self in the future. Notice how much of a good friend she is when she sees that her friends are truly in trouble. She always comforts Carly and does the same for Freddie (now that she is more open with him) She is by far the most complex, yet brilliant character in this show. To those that missed it, I feel sorry for. I ask that you take notice of that complex character and explain to your children that there are people in the world that can be mean, but also have a reason behind their actions. Don't ignore a character like that parents, if you do, then you are ignoring the child in the classroom that comes from an abusive home: the child that can one day turn to suicide because of people like us that don't take the time to notice them. They are not invisible, do not be the silent bully parents. Having no actions and keeping our mouths shut will only distance ourselves from a powerful connection we could have with our kids. TALK TO THEM! P.S - Enjoy laughing with them while you are watching the show, we all need a laugh.
Teen, 16 years old Written byzoogoesrawr September 13, 2010

Even as a 16 year old, I hurt for humanity every time I watch an iCarly episode. There have been shows like this before that used the same witty and innovative humor that iCarly has, like Drake and Josh, for instance. But iCarly is pushing its appropriateness to the edge as it progresses. Not enough to be totally outrageous, but just enough to get away with it. Let's start off with violence, shall we? Yes, it is in Sam's character to be aggressive and sarcastic, but sometimes it gets to the point where all she's doing is yelling like a maniac and beating someone up with a random object. I don't find much humor in violence once it crosses this line. Second, does Carly seem a little bit too "active" to you? I know it's natural for tweens to like each other, and it's cute how Freddie is persistant with Carly, but there's way too much sexuality in this show for it to be a kids show. I just don't like thinking about how 8-year-olds all across America are sitting on their couches and watching Carly make out with some guy everytime the commercial breaks are off. Thirdly, language. I don't have a problem with made up words like "jank" and "chizz." I think it's funny and original. :) However, iCarly has used a lot of words most kids shows would never have had the guts to say before. Words like "boobs, crap, panties, and bra." I know these words may seem simple and harmless, because really, we hear worse when we go to school. But I think that crossing this line might just be the start for crossing a whole other line when it comes to what can be said on kid's TV. Another thing, I'm not a strict Christian, but I just don't like it when the characters say phrases like "Oh my god;" taking the lord's name in vain. And believe me, they say it alot. As for product placement, I don't mind it at all. Their spoofs on popular products like the iPod, Shamwow, and the Snuggie are what give iCarly the witty sense of humor we all know and love. While, yes, iCarly is entertaining, it also has its moments where it can be just too much for a child audience. There are no good parental role models, and hardly any child role models for that matter. Personally I think Carly is just a bit too open with her sexuality and Sam goes a bit to far with violence. It's a given to say that 8-year-olds shouldn't be watching this, and I might even push it to say tweens shouldn't either. At least not until 13 +, because by then, inappropriate behavior is hardly surprising anymore.
Kid, 12 years old August 27, 2010

Honest Portrayal of Teens-- Dumbed down for tweens.

This is another kid show generated to appeal to kids that is pretty honest. The only thing that bugs me is that in one episode-- the one with Fred, has a bad demonstration of good behavior. In the episode, Freddie says he doesn't like Fred's videos. Sam and Carly tell him to just say he likes them anyway to get Fred to start making videos. He starts to stand up to them and says no, because he doesn't have to say anything he doesn't want to say. that's a good message right? But then sam beats him up and he gives in. Yeah bad role models. OK show, know your kids.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymjj1993 August 8, 2009

Not ever okay in my house!

I forbid my son to watch this show at our house. He sees it at his cousins. Although the show itself is not awful, there are really disturbing elements. No parental supervision is apparent, kids are broadcasting onto the Internet and there are no safety precautions being taken, and frankly I do not like the way my son speaks to me after watching this show. While there is no profanity, he becomes surly and sarcastic afer seeing these children interact with each other and adults. There is often the undermining of any kind of adult authority.
Educator Written byScreen813 October 2, 2011

Too cool for school?

I have a whole lot of negative feelings about this show. First, no one else here has mentioned that there is never any talk about paying the bills on the huge high-rise two story apartment in downtown Seattle. Spencer does not work, he invents all these unlikely pieces of sculpture, who knows where he gets these materials? Does he ever leave the apartment? Why doesn't he work? I think the message here is, life is just one wacky adventure and that the real world never interferes. Yeah, that's a good lesson. Every day these kids have some weird props and things that just appear out of nowhere--like that huge pair of jeans that someone was hiding inside of. How many of us have these outrageous objects in our homes? In Carly's world, where do all these things come from? Who takes them away, or where do they go, to make room for the next outrageous and unlikely sight gag? I remember one time that Sam was hanging from a bungee cord outside the door to Carly's apartment, like it was the most natural thing in the world to do, and no one wondered who installed it, or who put her into the apparatus--which did not touch the ground, so she could not have done it herself. The kids are always winding up in these physical comedy situations, which would have been funny on The Carol Burnett Show, which was sketch comedy and by definition not realistic. But here, we are seeing kids' alleged day-to-day lives being portrayed, it seems to me the producers would like the audience to think that this is portraying Carly's life. Even though we all know Carly is not real, there needs to be some semblance of being grounded in reality. There is absolutely nothing realistic about how these kids talk, the made up words they use, the gadgets they invent or the situations they get into--or the ongoing, every-episode violence between Sam and whoever. And that brings me to the absolutely horrendous way they treat each other. Like when Carly locked her brother in that chamber at the science fair and played torturous sounds and deprived him of food and water. He was visibly suffering, and even I felt bad for him--and I was angry that anyone would think this would be tolerated. This is funny? Who even built that sensory deprivation chamber, how did it get transported to the school, and why was it allowed? Did Carly build it, including wireless microphone sound system? Where and when--and how--did she build it? Where was the principal? Where was the teacher who was supervising this science fair? Is Carly really this cold a person? How did she manage to overpower Spencer into the box--let alone why didn't he more forcefully resist? Why didn't she let him out? There really are no credible authority figures here, and the kids go out and live their lives without any adult presence like three little swingers and a younger version of Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice. The other episode that stunned me was when there was huge glass tube in Carly's apartment that Spencer had dropped the police officer's kid into, and then hung a curtain around it so no one could see him. So, basically, he kidnapped this child--a felony, right?? How did he get the kid into this thing, why didn't the kid fight back, did the kid tell his father what happened after the episode was over? Why did the kid start screaming for help only AFTER Spencer lifted the curtain?? Did he tell his father what happened? Isn't kidnapping a felony? Also, these kids never go to class. Even after the bell rings, they hang out in the hall and discuss their problems and their outrageous plans for fooling this one, getting money Sam owes them for this, etc. All the other kids disappear into their classrooms. In my school, there were hall monitors everywhere. You had to be in class. Simple as that. But these three are just too cool for school. And yes, there is no way I would stay friends with Sam after the first time she pushed me or shoved me or punched me in the arm or told me what a loser or a dweeb I was. The only thing comforting about this girl that she has no fashion sense whatsoever and when she appears at the "Red Carpet" events, she looks horrid. And her forced smile is terrible. She is a miserable, rotten, spoiled, mean-spirited, horrible person. And Carly just stands there and watches her torment Freddie and laughs. She is hostile to Freddie even after she kisses him and he visits her in the hospital. Finally, there is no way Sam would have gone to a mental institution--or been admitted unless she was a danger to herself or others--after she kissed Freddie. She would not have been admitted. Isn't her mother wondering where she is? She said "Oh, I know. I think I'll just walk to the nearest mental hospital." How did she even know where such a hospital was? It was dark. She walked all over town by herself, in the dark, with no problem? In real life, Sam and Freddie would have walked around, kissed more, talked about having a relationship, talked, and held hands and walked around. Then Freddie would have walked her home. But in iCarly reality, they kiss and then in the next scene Freddie shows up at Carly's and says he has no idea where Sam is. HUH? She was just with you outside the school, kissing. Are you saying you kissed her and she vanished into thin air and you just walked away? If you're gonna kiss her, KISS HER, ok? This is not how it happens in real life. To say nothing of the technical challenges in actually producing a live web show, or how stupid the content is, or how impossibly technically advanced iCarly's production values are. Just a horrible, horrible, mean-spirited example for their young fans. Meanwhile, Miranda Cosgrove makes millions while I can't catch a break in my career to save my life. Real fair. To sum up, people don't act or talk this way, life does not progress or unfold this way, and these kids never suffer any consequences for their behavior. Why wasn't Gibby arrested for attacking that nurse in the "mental hospital?" Also, as a therapist, I was offended by the unrealistic portrayal of the mentally ill in that episode. Mental illness is no joke, and people with a mental illness don't act like that guy from the Big Bang Theory acted. There is nothing funny about mental illness. It can be a crippling affliction. People don't sit around in hospitals and act funny.
Kid, 12 years old August 15, 2011

So So Comedy

I used to whatch this show, I don't now because.. seriously, these kids give complete disrespect to adults and annoys even me. The Show does have some making out and deals with a lot of romance, but there isn't much to be concerned about.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bydinahmichael January 8, 2011

e.g. Where are the grown ups in this show?

Cute, funny, but this show has so few adults on it and the ones that do get any time are either stupid or bad guys. They therefore deserve, and get, no respect from the teenagers. The show desperately needs some positive adult role models, because it's no OK to treat adults in real life the way these kids do.
Teen, 13 years old Written byshadanni December 23, 2010

Great for teens but not for younger kids

I really like ICarly, sometimes i watch it with my dad because he likes it too. But sometimes he describes the show as''inappropriate''. It's a really good show for teen but not for younger kids. THIS IS WHY. 1.Sam is violent, and that makes her a bad role model. 2.Sometimes carly wears really short skirts. 3. There was an episode where Carly and Freddie kissed a lot. 4. Spencer keeps dating girls he barely knows. 5. Sam and Freddie insult each other. 7. Bullying. Its a good show for teens ;)
Parent of a 2, 6, and 8 year old Written byjengrammer October 21, 2010

This would be fine for TEENS. NOT TWEENS. Saying its Ok for 8 and up is irresponsible. 8 year olds do not need to be watching teenager type shows with flirting and talking about boys being hot. Another example of how our culture is encouraging kids to grow up too fast.
Parent of a 8, 12, and 13 year old Written bymiss_monet December 3, 2009

Too Sexualized

I had to do a research paper on this show for one of my media classes. Don't be fooled parents! Just because this show centers around two tween girls and their goofy antics, there's a TON of sexual innuendo and older teen behavior in this middle school based comedy. Most of the sexual innuendo lines come from Carly's older brother, but sometimes the younger boys say a line or two that are shocking. Sam referenced in one episode about her Dad being in jail and, I believe, her mom had a drug or alcohol problem... In a few episodes the girls are wearing mini skirts and I think one episode had them wearing a push-up bra... And then there was an episode where Sam gets a boyfriend (whom she's crazy about since her last one was in 5TH GRADE...??). Carly gets annoyed because Sam starts blowing off the iCarly show to be with her "beau". Sam's relationship is to her demise, though, when at the end of the episode Sam's boyfriend cheats on Sam by kissing Carly! Seriously?? These girls are supposed to be in MIDDLE SCHOOL... probably 12 years old... and they're doing all of this?? I would not allow my kids to watch this show. Nickelodeon used to be "FOR KIDS" but now it's clearly for an older crowd... which is silly because older kids don't watch Nickelodeon, they watch MTV -- but don't get me started on that one! LOL
Adult Written byMovieLover92 April 13, 2013

Show of my childhood

iCarly first came out when I was 14-15 years old and it ended when I was 20. I feel like I practically grew up with this show along with the characters. First I have to say I love Dan Schiender's shows. I believe he is a Nickelodeon genius. He really knows what kids like to watch and the humor is hilarious especially for kids like me who grew up in the late 90s and early 2000s. Even though Carly is the main character, the show focuses on a variety of characters. There is Carly's older brother Spencer who is like an adult kid and to me it is funny to have a mid-20's, 30 year old man-child who hangs out with a bunch of kids and it is the kids who happen to be more mature than the adults. That is what kids like to watch. There is also Carly's two best friends Sam and Freddie who happen to fight like cats and dogs. Sam has to be one of my most favorite characters because she is unlike any girl I have ever seen. She is independent, sarcastic, and she can kick butt. To me, it is Sam who really makes the show with her witty come backs and just being able to scare the you-know-what out of anybody. Then last but not least there is Gibby who in the beginning of iCarly started out as a recurring guest star but as the show progresses he starts to become one of the show's main characters. From random dancing to Gibby taking he's shirt off, this show has to be one of my favorite shows of my childhood. I can see why parents might think that it is a little dumb and farfetched but that's what makes kids laugh. If parents are disturbed by some of the sense of humor or issues in the show, I think they should think back to when they were kids. Weren't there some shows back when you were a kid that your parents didn't really care for you to watch? I not saying that there aren't some issues about the show that some kids might misinterpret but that doesn't mean that the show should be banned. I think that if parents dislike the show so much, they should sit down with their kids and discuss the issues and explain to them that it is JUST A SHOW and not real. I think parents get way too defensive easily.
Kid, 10 years old December 31, 2010

Ok For Teens

It's a good show, but then a again, it is not for younger kids. They talk to much about kissing and dating. They say stuff like stupid, sucks and shut-up.