Interactive show raises social media issues for tweens.

Kid, 12 years old August 15, 2011

So So Comedy

I used to whatch this show, I don't now because.. seriously, these kids give complete disrespect to adults and annoys even me. The Show does have some making out and deals with a lot of romance, but there isn't much to be concerned about.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bydinahmichael January 8, 2011

e.g. Where are the grown ups in this show?

Cute, funny, but this show has so few adults on it and the ones that do get any time are either stupid or bad guys. They therefore deserve, and get, no respect from the teenagers. The show desperately needs some positive adult role models, because it's no OK to treat adults in real life the way these kids do.
Kid, 10 years old December 31, 2010

Ok For Teens

It's a good show, but then a again, it is not for younger kids. They talk to much about kissing and dating. They say stuff like stupid, sucks and shut-up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMoutaindewgirl September 10, 2010

Too much innapropriate stuff

It's ok for my age, but even then...... I am a christian and I hate hearing somebody saying God's name in vain. You shouldn't include this in a kids tv show. Also, Spencer is cool, but very immature. And Sam is violent. She suggests violence for everything. And Freddy always wants to be Carlys boyfriend. People, this shouldn't be rated G!
Teen, 13 years old Written byhurstårdettill August 18, 2010
I've found this show to portray AWFUL stereotypes of foreign people in the past. The Scottish are portrayed as highland-dancing, kilt-wearing, bagpipe players. The French are portrayed as baguette-eating, poodle-having, "hoh-HOH!!!" jokes. The English are portrayed merely as people with funny accents, who are loud, obnoxious, and hate Americans. The only Japanese characters were computer-whizzes and karate experts. The country of El Salvador was referenced as "El Salva-dork". The programme shows general ignorance to foreigners and i suggest you steer your kids away.
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2009

What in the name of Santa Monica--?

Great lord, what an embarrassment. This show has no educational value--heck, it practically encourages stupidity, especially by means of the way the Internet works. And what in the WORLD is the matter with this Sam character, being so...VIOLENT? Yes, a character on the show is incredibly physical with all the people AROUND her, mainly a boy named Freddie. It ranges from everything between verbal abuse (as low as geek to as high as--well, nothing too high yet, but she's coming to something very nasty) and physically harming him (as low as a slap to as high as CLOBBERING HIM WITH AN APPLE. Man, I have so much to discuss with this writer!) Not to mention, the contents of the show's dialogue aren't exactly "squeaky-clean", either. They said a certain thing about a Ms. Briggs character that were highly out of proportions and JUST PLAIN UNCOMMON for a young 13 year old girl to discuss with another girl. Adding on to discussion on the contents, the kids do many things that can land you in prison. Plus, female characters only have one main focus--drumroll please!--BOYS. Side-thoughts include lip gloss, makeup, BRAS (...?!?), and a web/Internet based show. Said show has nothing but just plain random and unsettling things to see and do that I doubt any teenager on the PLANET has any desire to watch. Are your children being unruly, all of sudden? Do they talk about things that you don't want to hear and/or are just plain random? Tell, me--is this iCarly show on their watch-list?
Parent Written byMrCrocodile April 29, 2013

I Personally Enjoy It

Very much really. If Nickelodeon has been known for years as the network that preaches "kid power" to it, this is another show that compliments that. A web show where they can do whatever they want, show people whatever they want, say whatever they want, and not have adults have power over them, it IS very kid-empowering I think. I also love how the show used to show fans doing cool things either during the show or in the end credits. I like how kids could be apart of the show through the web show. This show makes me smile. I've looked deep into this show along with Dan Schneider's other shows he's created himself on Nickelodeon so therefore I've come to really enjoy it and the other shows for what they are despite any flaws. One thing though, parents: Stop depending on shows or fictional characters to raise your kids. You show your lazy parenting by leaving your kid to watch a show alone and depending on FICTIONAL characters to raise your kids, rather than being there and making sure your kid knows what Sam does especially in the early seasons is wrong. But I digress. When I first started watching the show I loved how sometimes they'd talk about having something healthy like a healthy pizza and they'd all be excited for it. This went on for about three seasons especially. I can't remember if the last few ever did that. I also loved when I heard them say something that would seem so true to me like cool people don't say they're cool or being a grown up doesn't mean you can't still be silly and creative and fun. It's true. There were other things but these stand out to me. It wasn't a preachy sitcom, but just one I could sit down and enjoy for a half hour every night after school. There isn't much many can say about the main character herself: Carly. But I have a few. She's a nice girl for the most part, not perfect as it's shown in some episodes like iDate A Bad Boy as she makes fun of her boyfriend for liking Pee Wee Babies. She has asthma and is a claustrophobic. Sometimes she takes her guardian and older brother Spencer for granted but often we see them being good siblings to each other. And Carly definitely learns to appreciate him in the Christmas episode. She's close with the people around her. She's close friends with Sam, and unlike many girls who wouldn't handle a guy crushing on her like crazy, she handled Freddie really well. She didn't make him stay out of her life, in fact it was the opposite. Come to think of it, I'm surprised that when we see Freddie's room in a later episode it doesn't have a poster or a cardboard cut out of Carly anywhere. More on Freddie in a bit. Carly is friends with Gibby and I found she really cares about him as shown in a few episodes, despite there being several things wrong with Gibby. But despite that Gibby is awesome. And more on HIM in a bit. And several times you can see she really loves her father, the Colonel. You really see it in the series finale. Now for Freddie, I like how he doesn't come across as a typical nerd with the weird teeth or glasses or weird clothing. He looks like a kid but with a lot of brains when it comes to tech stuff. And I really hate that there are people that don't see this about him that I do: despite the many times Sam has hit him, picked on him, belittled him, he's dealt with it all and throughout the show he doesn't let Sam get to him. The same goes for Gibby. People go off about how nowadays kids would get so depressed from all that bullying, they could even go kill that someone or other people with them. But they don't consider or appreciate the fact that Gibby and Freddie didn't give into those things, that they learned to not let anything hurt them (atleast not emotionally). This is something I love about Freddie and Gibby. They both turn out so strong. And I think this is why near the end of the show they start hanging out more. Gibby and Freddie are both so confident and strong now by the end of the show. And...does no one notice the fact that the popular couples in Dan's shows consist of a nerd getting the girl? Whether she's popular or not? Despite whatever the nerds in his shows go through, they get some respect by him as he's writing them. Now for Sam, got to give credit to Jennette McCurdy for portraying a character people either love or hate or they have a love/hate relationship with her. Although that side of Sam where she is rough, sarcastic and even wild exists, good qualities of her do start coming out. She eventually understands when she needs to stop if she takes things too far with Freddie especially. She starts having a better relationship with her mom by the fourth season, when she and Freddie break up, this is the start of her character developing even more. In the episode where she goes to Canada for Fatcakes, at the beginning of the episode, it's revealed that she started to behave better which results in her surprise trip. She starts staying out of trouble (and it IS thanks to the web show itself, but more on that later), and a couple of times we see her standing up for her friends and two other kids that get bullied. Before she was simply so careless and would often be in juvie. But now she's staying out of trouble a bit more and I think with her baby sitting service in the spin off, she's going to really learn to stay out of trouble. As for Spencer, I love him as an older brother. He's cool, he's fun, the actor is very funny. He's a lovable older brother that I wish I had. By the way, even though iCarly is seen as another show where someone is famous or wants to be famous, it doesn't mean the characters in this show necessarily do. Their web show is a success, but they still live lives much more normally than the characters in other shows. They can walk around without someone going crazy over them (except in iStart A Fanwar) or starting at them. And speaking of iStart A Fanwar, I love how with episodes like this, like the series finale, Dan speaks through the characters to us. Especially the shipping couples thing which is the reason many people even watch a show these days. I read fun facts Dan has written for his episodes and sometimes he'll put something in to an episode because it's something he's seen or it's based on someone he works with. Like the huge phone Freddie has in iGoodbye is made fun of by Gibby because Dan himself knows someone with a huge phone that he and other people he works with laugh about it. Now earlier I was talking about the web show being the reason why Sam stays out of prison more. It's not just her the iCarly web show has an impact on. It's everyone. Without iCarly, the main characters wouldn't be so close as they are now, minus Carly and Sam and maybe Freddie. The web show was the reason Sam and Freddie had to spend so much time together and they would slowly learn to be friends with each other and Freddie would learn to not let Sam get to him. The closer they got because of the web show being apart of their lives, resulted in them deciding to date. Although it was short, the breakup scene I find is the reason Sam started making better choices when Freddie suggested that she tries to be a little normal while Sam suggests the opposite for him. Without the web show they never would've been so close. If all three didn't help Gibby win a date at all with the help of the iCarly web show, he would've always been too shy to go out with a girl. He later learns to just be himself thanks to their help and he becomes confident. Without the web show they probably wouldn't have been able to help him even date in the first place. And the popularity of the web show resulted in Nora Dershlitt, a super crazy iCarly fan who kidnaps Carly, Sam and Freddie, who Gibby fights to save his friends, this earning fans' respect as well as the main characters and he became more awesome ever since. It never would've happened if it wasn't for, you guessed it, the web show existing. A small thing I love is in iRescue Carly, they all are so close by now that they simply hung out and watched a movie together. The web show existing is the reason friendships and relationships formed, and mended. I love noticing how with iCarly, as the seasons progress, the show itself grows up along with the characters. Especially by the last season we see that iCarly isn't just a "kids show". (For me, though, I realized that by season 2.) There are jokes and references adults can understand and I love that Dan has always tried to make his shows appealing for adults too. He doesn't just think of the kids, he thinks of all age groups and it's good to know there are other adults out there that liked iCarly too. Even the settings and the props and the things that were created for the show are amazing. I love the iCarly studio, the Shay apartment filled with Spencer's sculptures, Sam's remote, The Groovy Smoothie, different food put on a stick by T-Bo, the supposed boss of the Groovy Smoothie. I even love the Pear products and how later the phones are shaped like a pear. And the Penny T's were awesome! I'd love one some day and I love that they were loved by people so much that they would ask Dan if they're available anywhere. And spaghetti tacos, I love that they're popular. They're actually good to have for a party or whenever really! The characters can do silly things, wacky things, even childish things. Like Spencer, but it doesn't stop me from loving this show. ***** and 10/10 by me.
Parent of a 1, 7, 8, 10, 11, and 13 year old Written byAaleigh February 27, 2012

If you want your daughters to become sluts, sit them in front of the television.

The first thing I noticed was the ugly blonde girl saying the evil C-word. Honestly, I would appreciate this word never being said at any time. They also say the word "bra" far too often. This word, and "panties" are to said only by ladies to other ladies, or to her husband. (Of course I am not promoting lesbianism, only stating that a woman can ask if this bra is in her size) Secondly, all of the girls are dressed like W-words. Shirts are supposed to reach that length, skirts aren't supposed to end there. Finally, the ugly blonde girl is very violent. She repeatedly beats upon other students, and has a reputation for going to juvie for violent crimes. In conclusion, you should NEVER let your children watch this show. Only until they've developed breasts of their own should they even glance at it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byselenagomezfan64 November 28, 2010
This is the worst show I ever saw on nick
Teen, 13 years old Written byDamon Salvatore... July 29, 2010

e.g. Iffy for older kids, but not for tweens

I think Hollywoods pushed their luck with this suppossingly kid safe show. There are many mentions of boobs, squirels having sex, (even though some younger viewers might miss that's what their talking about) sexy is used many times, and their is one very violent episode that I was suprised was rated G.
Adult Written bydharvell April 5, 2010

iWish iCarly Would Clean It's Up Its Act

iWish they would take iCarly off the air, or have the editors pay closer attention to what the episodes contain. With obvious attempts to circumvent censors with words and phrases such as "no shiz", "what the yuck", and the ever talked about "hobknocker" reference, iCarly (which used to be permitted on our televisions) is now completely OFF. Other than the language and obvious sexual references, there are absolutely NO good role models, no lessons learned for inappropriate behaviours... basically, it teaches children that adults are awkward and stupid, so disobedience should go unnoticed and without consequence. Lessons I will not allow my children to see, as disobedience is met with discipline, in our home. Poor writing, poor message, sexual overtones, and too many substitute profanity makes this show very iffy, if not off.
Educator and Parent of a 8 year old Written bydsvall January 4, 2010

Kids love it, but plenty to discuss

Your kids will love this show, and even with my negative review, it is mostly harmless and I DO let my eight year old daughter watch. However, when something happens that is inappropriate (and there is plenty) we discuss. Two examples, these are supposed to be middle school students, why is Carly alone in her studio kissing a boy? Why is Sam and Carly having a contest to see who will get kissed by specific boy first? I don't live under a rock, but REALLY? Sex is sold as "no big deal". My second grader and her friends talk about boyfriends, and how who broke up with who, and who is making "greedy eyes" at who WAY more that they should at 7 or 8, and scenes in popular shows like this support this behavior. The second major issue I have with the show is Sam's behavior of belittling EVERYONE. She is frankly, a huge brat, and her flavor of snarkiness is something else that causes discussion on our household. Kids seem to think this is funny, when it is really just mean-spirited. I hear them emulate these crass-style comments in school and on the playground, and think "wow." I will say the pear-phone cracks me up (Apple apparently wanted to much money for product placement-LOL.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bycavalos August 6, 2009
Good stuff. A light healthy comedy. Although sometimes the jokes are grows or inappropiate. I like the friendship the girls carry on with their ups and down their always joyful. They seem they act their age not like other programs that seem to be mini soap operas.
Parent of a 1, 2, and 4 year old Written bymycatslove June 2, 2009

Show Is Going Down Hill

When icarly first came on it was great. But after the episode where Carly disobeys Spencer by going to that fight to interview a celebrity, I have to say, I've lost all respect for the show. Same with the Bad Boy episode. I understand it needs to relate to tween's, but it should show that there are consequences for not obeying. The show is basically saying you can do whatever you want. Though, I do have to say, Spencer makes me laugh in every episode!
Adult Written bysophier84733 December 20, 2014

Love it

I personally love it, great for kids. and i do not understand why people are being to serious and over protective about it. It's a kids show people! well back to the review, the only part about is the language (geek,Loser,stupid).
Kid, 12 years old November 3, 2012

Family Friendly and Good for First Grade+

This is a good show for kids in first grade and up. This was when I began to watch it, and my mom was fine with it. There is a bit of language, but the worst of it is "Holy crap", which kids in fourth and fifth grade hear a lot. When kids hear that language, just tell them that it's not appropriate for them to say, etc. There are a sex references, but think about it- kids in the first grade won't get it unless you say it around your house (not trying to accuse anyone or anything), and the kids old enough to understand it are old enough to hear it. I give it 5 stars because it really is family-friendly.
Adult Written byBest4mykids October 28, 2012

Quit targeting 8 year olds with teen material I say

Why they rate these shows for 8 year olds is beyond me it's a teen show not 8 year olds show. So unless your goal is teen pregnancy I suggest you save shows that show romance for kids who are old enough to handle what follows.
Kid, 12 years old August 5, 2012

Not really for pre-teens or kids

I really dislike this show. All of the characters seem to be at least one of the following: immature, greedy, mean-spirited, shallow, or just plain stupid and clueless! For example, in the episode iDate a Bad Boy (my personal least favourite) Carly and Spencer were both being silly. Carly said things like "I kiss like a princess!" and was portrayed as an overly rebellious brat. Spencer told Carly she couldn't date a boy, but wouldn't that make her want to date him even more? There's also a fairly large amount of sexual and occasionally violent innuendo, which is pretty easy to spot. In the first episode Sam and Carly even talk about a teacher's 'pointy boobs'! My cousins are 7 and 5 and have been watching this show for a while. They've been becoming more like the characters, particularly Sam, violent and mean-spirited and even started hitting my sister and I for fun because 'they like it'. It sounds silly to blame their misbehavior on a show, but I've really been noticing a change in their personalities. The seven year old loves iCarly but she's not old enough to figure out the things in this show that make me dislike it. So if you like shows with cheesy lines, tons of innuendo, and mean-spirited characters you'll probably like this.
Parent Written byStanleypuss July 14, 2012

Bad Show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the worst television show on TV. It is crude tries to be funny (and doesn't succeed) and is innapropriate. I don't see how it's funny to refer to boobs and balls. It is not educational and it does not make sense how Sam hates Fred and then kisses him. If you want to watch a good TV show this show is a bad idea.
Teen, 15 years old Written byilovecookiez April 7, 2012

Ugh... How did this get popular?

Honestly, I don't think it's all that inappropriate, teens in real life talk about bras and boobs all the time. But still, Sam is a horrible role model (and yes, kids do copy her), Carly is a spoiled brat (I sure HOPE people don't copy her.. and yeah, she is a spoiled brat, she threw a huge fit the one time Spencer didn't get what she wanted, and have you seen her room????) and Freddy is horribly disrespectful to his mom (and it's not just him..). I mean, yeah she's a little high maintenance and overprotective but she's his mom and he should listen to her. That's how it works in my house. And I don't see how a little sexy stuff is inappropriate, but they kiss WAY TOO MUCH when they're in a relationship. Reality check, couples don't make out every chance they get. But whatever, in my opinion this show is overrated, annoying, stupid, and unfunny. And if you don't like my review, well too bad. It's my opinion, so therefore, I have a right to dislike this show.