All member reviews for Instant Mom

Funny family sitcom appeals to older kids and adults.

Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written byNCmomoftwo September 30, 2013

Good messages overshadowed by drinking/alcohol/sex references

My 10 and 11 year old just watched this and I think it's too old for them. The episode I saw, one of the teenage children snuck out to a party where there was drinking. The instant mom, I don't remember the characters name, had previously taught the kids a game to get the little boy to drink an electrolyte drink, the game she taught them was quarters. Obviously, it's not a big jump to figure out its a fun game to try with drinking alcohol. There was also references between the mom and her mother, that drinking wine helps with parenting. Overall I was not impressed, and now my kids know how to play quarters, thanks for that! Also the parents were shown in bed, kissing, her in modest slip, etc. I wasn't comfortable with the portrayal and found it unnecessary to the story.
Parent Written byKCMOM0908 October 2, 2013

FAR TOO MUCH ALCOHOL!

I work in substance abuse prevention, and what I watched on episode 1 is the reason I have a job. The main character teaches the young children how to play quarters to get the child to drink Gatorade- to me, it is completely unnecessary to have this noted drinking game used in this fashion. My 8 and 10 year olds do not need to see this at 8:00 PM on Nick. Also the older mother grabbing alcohol to help herself and her daughter cope with stress- another bad choice! Why are you showing kids (your target audience) that stress should be dealt with by using alcohol? Poor choices in my opinion and this program will not be watched again by my children.
Teen, 13 years old Written byslyfox432 September 24, 2013

My Review

I saw the commercial on my T.V., it it seems like it is just like every family comedy, nothing different...
Parent Written byLKB111 October 9, 2013

Seven and up

I am a writer on this show and have a 7 and 8 year old who frequently attend the tapings. While the pilot had some drinking and veiled references to intimacy between the parents, I wanted to reassure parents that subsequent episodes have very little to none of this. There are several parents on the writing staff, including the show runner who is very cognizant of what may be appropriate for family viewing. My children love the interplay between the siblings, but they also enjoy the adult characters in this show more than I expected, given their ages (7 and 8). Give it a whirl and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much you can enjoy a show that's still suitable for your kids. New episodes air on Nick@Nite, Sundays at 8:30 and NickJr/Nick Mom Sundays at 10pm. Re-runs are frequently available on these channels and online.
Parent Written bycalimominmv October 23, 2013

'Instant Mom' very poor taste of a family show

I didn't care for this show at all. The step mom demonstrated drinking as a way of solving her problem by grabbing a bottle of wine and rushing out of the room, she bullied back and forth with a little girl, the little girl was very sassy to adults and showed lack of respect for an authority figure and the little girl bullied/manipulated her classmate into liking her. This family is a poor reflection of what step families are. It was our family's first time seeing this show and I won't be letting my daughters watch this show ever again. It surprised me even more with Tia Mowry as a young mom herself in real life and former child star would be okay with demonstrating herself as a mom in such a poor manner.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymalikthewisdomteen1 December 13, 2013

I think that Instant Mom is a great, good, family comedy. Very very very funny. I like it. One of my favorite shows. Some mild language like "BADASS" AND "HEIFER" but funny.
Parent Written byKari 123 June 8, 2014

Highly inappropriate

My husband and I have questioned this show all season. There are a lot of suggestive comments between the parents and bedroom scenes that are inappropriate for kids. Tonight they totally crossed the line when one of the kids said the word "jack*ss" on the show. My 6 year old was watching this show with her older brothers and sisters. I thought that we were safe to let our kids watch Nick shows - especially in the 8 pm time slot. Why would a network that caters to children put this trash on their channel? Very disappointing Nickelodean. I guess we will stick to Disney channel from now on.
Parent Written byRachelGlzr April 17, 2014

Drunk stepmom, bad parenting, smart mouthed kids

Well today's episode featured the oldest brat going to the store to buy $200 pants, her talking about the size of her butt, and the sons stealing and selling the "parent's" expensive belongings online. I'm waiting for the stepmom to get drunk, and throw a fit about how "hard" it is raising someone else's kids.
Parent Written byJ.H. March 18, 2014

LEARNING

MY KIDS AND I LOVE INSTANT MOM...VERY FUNNY!

I think the show is very funny and appropriate for children to watch. Great family show and I hope it continues for a long time. Really love it and love watching it with my kids! Also wanted to say the show does not have a lot of drinking. I do not drink at all and I do not think it contains too much drinking. As far as the episode with the step mom going back and forth with the little girl, I have yet to see a show on nickelodeon that does not have a smart mouthed child talking to someone..like every day life.