Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for InuYasha

Fantasy-themed anime features strong female lead.

Adult Written byxMadxScientistx February 19, 2009

Anime is not universally intended for children.

This one's pretty tame. There's some violence, and in the dub they use on cartoon network, some cursing. I think I remember some suggestive scenes, but nothing terribly mature. That being said, I can't think of any reason a teen shouldn't be allowed to see this one.

As for quality, it's about average. The art is fairly good, but the plot gets drawn out at times. Some of the characters are kind of flat and unconvincing, but that's typical.
Adult Written byRyanPoneill June 25, 2015

Psychological effects

now... As far as violence and nudity and all that goes, this show is extremely tame. There's nothing in it.. However if your child is smart their bound to pick up on the rather nefarious plans of the characters . As the show unwinds so does the plot. Which is rather intricate and filled with duplicitous characters, and the main antagonist using other people to do is dirty work for him, with some sort of hold on them, spoiler eg naruko makes an incarnation called Kagura and in order to make her obey his every command he has her heart in her hands, threatening to crush it if she betrays him if this oppressed nature isn't enough he often plays with her life, to see if something will kill him or not.. Using his cohorts as nothing but pawns in his elaborate game of chess with no respect for life.
Adult Written byBothnianReviews February 4, 2019

5/5 when you take in consideration there are a lot of episodes.

You have to watch around 5 episodes to get hang of it, whether you like it or not... I still haven't watched all the episodes as there is a lot, but i have watched like 150. Its not something that everyone likes, its a high fantasy anime with romantic vibes. Oh and one of the characters is kind of "hyper-sexual", so that might bother some viewers. I wouldn't recommend it to kids under 13, and i recommend that you watch it in Japanese (a lot better voice acting that fits the characters way better than the english ) i just think that kids under 13 wouldn't really get the humor, and there is a lot of sexual references so there is that, i guess violence goes without saying as sword fights involving magic are kind of basis of the whole show (along with the romantic story) I should note that a lot of animes are WAY LESS family friendly than this one.

Adult Written byi know my face ... May 19, 2018

Inuyasha's mark

I've been watching this since I was 9 and I loved it! I'm currently 12 yrs old and I won't stop loving the series. The story line is so beautiful and everyone is so good-looking, like, Inuyasha is a character that kids my age really find interesting. He has a really cantankerous personality, he's a troublemaker and a very powerful character. Along with Inuyasha, every characters in the series are attractive and funny as well!

Adult Written byCerebell June 17, 2016

Loved it! But. . .

NOTE: I am not a parent but can't figure out how to change my status as a parent!
I started watching this probably around the age of 10 or 11 and fell in love with it and sometimes I would let my baby sister watch episodes that I thought were okay. This being the case, and re-watching it, now it's definitely for older kids. Most episodes have some sort of violence with the team fighting against demons but surprisingly not much bloodshed. Along with the violence though, there is much use of profanity, mostly by the male lead. Furthermore, there are scenes of nudity but of course nothing immensely provocative is shown for the most part. To add to the nudity though, there is a character which is described as a "lecher" most correctly as he chases after women and gropes their behinds from time to time. Let it also be known that the main female lead does reveal to have an infatuation with the male lead and it unfolds much like a anime middle school romance with some troubles. Now as for the positives of this show, there is a definite emphasis put on the value of teamwork and understanding. Additionally, the main female lead is a strong one that doesn't follow the "norms" of a weak female character and there are other strong female leads as well. As for the anime quality, the artwork gradually gets better, the plot can be drawn out, the comedy is laugh-inducing, and the depth of some of the episodes are amazing. This all being said: I do love this anime, it's just not for the youngsters.

Adult Written byburlieman September 29, 2015

Inuyasha Review

This is by far my favorite anime. I couldn't watch it when I was a kid since it was on after my bedtime. When I could get into it 14 years after its premier I couldn't stop watching it. For parents if you let your children watch this, I would tell you to watch it with them as there is a medium amount of violence and lots of swearing. Minor points are some episodes have non graphic nudity, but there is also advances by a male character towards lots of female characters.
Parent of a 13, 15, and 16 year old Written byNervousParentOf3Boys April 4, 2015

it's my 16 year olds favorite anime.

If he likes it, I'm glad. sorry for my overprotective reviews. I just want my boys to grow up being smart. I can't treat them like babies, I just can't no more. They're not 3, they're 13, 15, and 16. And you should know your kid.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byleizelr January 22, 2015

Adult Written byParranormalHour June 20, 2013

Enjoyable

Okay, Common Sense you have no clue what you are talking about. First Kagome ('Strong' Female lead) is weak. She is constantly getting herself into dangerous situations and has minimal fighting experience. Her weapon of choice is a bow. She usually misses what she is aiming for however when her arrows actually hit they do a lot of damage.

Second Inuyasha (the half-dog demon as his name implies) does have a temper but considering his background it is understandable. Being half-demon he doesn't really fit in anywhere. Humans bullied him as a child and demons rejected him from their world (this includes his half-brother who tries to kill him on several occasions). He is defensive and pushes people away because of the abuse he suffered as a child. Which is understandable!

Next the fox demon is a child who is strangely enough the most level headed. He sees things as they are which is ironic as he specializes in illusions.

Fourth, the monk is often shown trying to seduce woman to 'bear his children'. Personally I find it funny but I also find it strange that Common Sense mentioned none of this. Also they forgot to mention the demon slayer's (who is female) love interest is the monk.

Fifth, there is more than just the five main characters. For example, Sesshomaru (Inuyasha's half-brother meaning full demon) appears frequently in the anime. Honestly Sesshomaru reminds me of a cross between Lucius Malfoy (Harry Potter) and Spock (Star Trek).

I really could write more on this but I will leave it here as if I go on any longer I will get into the land of spoilers. All in all it is a good anime with action, romance, comedy, drama and a pinch of angst. Yes it is violent but the blood in minimal. Yes it does have role models. Yes it does have a positive message and yes there are scenes that are more teenaged in nature. However I believe a 9 year old could watch this with no problems.

Parent of a 3, 5, 12, 14, 15, and 17 year old Written byMummyof7 September 12, 2012

Its a pretty good show.

My little boy watches this show, despite a little blood here and there its actually a wonderful story line and Inuyasha is a wonderful character. To ResponibleParentOf2! I think we would all appreciate if you would turn down your rude racism and such, and just write fair and justified comments. Just because its chinese doesn't mean its a bad show, in fact the culture makes it interesting.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bydiaryofamommy March 26, 2011

Appropriate for older tweens.

My 11-year-old son once got up a little early and caught this show. He asked me if he could DVR it for a series recording because he loved it SO much. I DVRed an episode to make sure it was kid-appropriate and I decided it was (nothing worse then a little bit of intense battles, little amount of blood). I like it too, mainly because of it's positive messages and the fun action. I think you will too! Watch it with your tweens, you'll have loads of fun!
Adult Written byAmu Hinamori March 21, 2010

I would recomment ages 12+

i say this is a great anime to watch, along with the Mangas

My niece began watching this show when she was 2yrs old and got attracted to it. And she still watchs it even now.

And she began to watch it due to my addict to watching anime from i was 14. If she watches this series i woild too.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byShroud365 February 17, 2010

good series, just not for young kids

Adult Written byInuYasha_lover December 11, 2009

FOR ANYONE ABOVE 11!

THIS ROCKS!!!!!!

Adult Written byspongebobrocks22 April 9, 2008

great show

my favorite anime.if i made this i whould skip the swearing
Adult Written bydragongirl095 April 9, 2008

Inuyasha

Inuyasha isnt anything bad.OK sure they cuss by saying damn and hell and thats all.There is nothing bad about it like there is no sex,drugs,alchoal nothing like that.It is just about a guy who is trying to get a jewel back that was shattered by this woman.There is love connections but nothing serious except for a man always ask woman to bare his children thats it.My sons hero is Inuyasha.He acts like him all the time.My daughter has a huge crush on Inuyasha.
Adult Written byUnmei April 9, 2008

Good show, but only for 14+

As many of the kids have suggested in their ratings, CS has rated this show way low(maybe only the first episode was watched?). In many of the later episodes there is much nudity and one of the main characters miroku asks every pretty girl to bear his child. They also curse alot(usually not the bad side of profanity though) It can be pretty funny though.
Adult Written byinuyashafan April 9, 2008

i loved it!

I think the show is cute with shippo the young fox demon. He is a funny character. If I were the master control operator for both cartoon network and adult swim I'D put the show on cartoon networks program block. It is a lovely show. It keeps me very calm and happy.
Adult Written byUlisa April 9, 2008
Adult Written byAeries April 9, 2008

A Good Show

I don’t see any problem with Inu Yasha. I have a five and a seven year old and they watch it all the time. They absolutely love it. The violence (if you want to call it that) is nothing compared to what kids see in the movies. I would worry more about the fanfiction based on this show then I would the show itself.