All member reviews for Jake and the Never Land Pirates

Fun-filled series teaches social lessons to young mateys.

Parent Written byMrShadestep June 15, 2011

Blinded while being too critical?

My almost 3 year old son loves this show and gets plenty of good laughs from it. He recognized the characters from Peter Pan and that instantly drew him in. There are times that I get to be Captain Hook and he is Jake, but more often than that we have to be on a pirate team together. We go out on nature walks with our treasure map and he loves counting the team's gold doubloons one by one which he was not at all good at when we first started watching. This, amongst other shows, is a show that I could be overly critical of but my son proves time and time again that being so critical blinds me to the valuable lessons that he notices and then shares with me. "...Jake and the Neverland pirates and... Oliver!" =)
Parent of a 4 year old Written bymommy in montana April 9, 2011
I read the last two messages. Were these people ever children, that watched Tom and Jerry or Road Runner and Cyote? These are classics that don't teach us, but make us smile or laugh. Sometimes kids need just a fun cartoon. We as parents sometimes read to much into things, yes if they were cutting heads off and all that it would be different.
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written bylaribrook April 26, 2011

Some questionable themes but not horrible.

A few concerns with this show -- first of all, what is Disney's obsession with Pirates? For some reason it's princesses for girls and pirates for boys. Strange. Pirates are horrible role models to begin with. My boys like Peter Pan though, and are a bit confused with how this show relates to the movie. We have only watched it a few times since we don't have Disney channel, but aside from the Pirate concerns, I did not like how it was focused on money, ie the 'Dabloons'. My kids picked up on that right away and were incorporating it into their play. I found that a bit disconcerting. It's not a horrible show, but I would not watch this regularly. We are going to Disney World this year, but I do not want to reinforce Pirates as role models.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJaniousman April 30, 2011

This is the most coolest show ever!

I never did watch this show much. Just saw the ads and a little bit of an episode. Though I love tropical islands and pirates and a show about all this now makes me want to watch it. I know its for preschoolers,but I like this stuff so I will think of watching an episode. I never knew that a show about pirates would come and I can't wait to watch it!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byagbrowne August 18, 2013

It's the singing

My 6 year-old seems to like all the singing; she has learned to sing along.
Kid, 10 years old April 24, 2012

Jake Pirates

it is for babies
Kid, 11 years old October 10, 2011

NO GOOD

My little sister and cousin love this show.I don't really like it.They say things like,"Yay Hay Hooray!".There was this one episode with a singing dancing flower. Same story line EVERY time! Captain Hook and Smee steal an item from them and they get it back.And since when have pirates been good role models?Never as far as I know.I would definitely not recommend this.
Parent Written byWilliam8 April 19, 2015

Fairly harmless fun

Our 3 year old boy absolutely loves this show, and it's been a bonding experience with his older brothers (4 and 6). Like the show, they have simple adventures, use teamwork to try to get those pirates, and collect coins. There's an occasional positive message in the show, but I have yet to hear those messages referred to in their play... so I wouldn't give much credit to the show for character-building. At least it's not violent or laughing at drug use or whatever. There are some downsides. For one, pirates are basically professional thieves... I don't know why they should be "fun". We've beat the message about real pirates into our kids' heads, so hopefully it outweighs the show. Second, only 1 of the 7 main characters is a girl, and she's clearly an accessory character. Just like most movies and shows in our culture, the girls barely exist, and if they do they don't lead anybody or talk much. Parents of girls beware.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDylanLeviiHiggiNboth May 8, 2014

Not as kid-friendly as they say.

Even though the show is rated TV-Y, some episodes have a few mildly scary moments, moderate crudity and very mild suggestive content. Expect some pirate language including "swabs", "bilge rats" and "pipsqueaks". Captain Hook dreams to be the richest pirate in Never Land.
Parent of an infant, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 11 year old Written byResponsibleParentOf9 December 30, 2012

For elementary students and up.

I only let my kids 5 and up watch this as I fear Captain Hook might be too scary for them.
Parent Written byej's nana February 21, 2012

Pronoun usage

The writers should use proper English. In a recent episode, Peter Pan sand' "me and my shadow". This should have been my shadow and I. The least the writers could do is present a proper role model for young children.
Kid, 10 years old April 17, 2011

It's...

sometimes pointless, but I will say, it cans ometimes teach you to not be selfish and be nice to your friends. Peter pan is mentioned, and Caption Hook and Smee are from Peter Pan. :33 So consumerism is involved. More intended to entertain then educate, but it had positive role models. But the pirates scared my cousin, so in a way it might be scary to young kids I think the "Gold Dabloons" thing wasn't needed and is annoying. "We got __ got dabloons! Lets GRAB EM AND GO!"
Parent of a 3 year old Written byParent312 February 24, 2011

Show needs to be canceled

This show is terrible. My kids are sick and tired of pirate shows. Pirates are not good role models. There is no educational value. Show needs to be canceled.
Kid, 10 years old September 25, 2013

Stupidest show ever

It's just like the lamest show ever! My 7 year old bro watches and it's so annoying!
Teen, 14 years old Written byKevin Mo November 21, 2012

Hook

Captain Hook uses blast a lot which means screw you The language should be 1 star What in Blazes means what the f**k so dont let your kids watch this until there 3 because if they are 1 they are gonna say blast you to somebody and will get in trouble
Kid, 12 years old April 20, 2016

Great show for younger kids 10 and under!

It's such a cute show. I actually remember when it first came out on Disney Junior, and I was like, why didn't they think of this before? My little sister had a crush on Jake when she was seven or eight, and that was cute. It also teaches basic concepts, but is also really cute and funny. But seriously, it's a great show for 10 AND UNDER. Who said anything about a preschool show? It's perfect. Go ahead and press play.
Parent Written byLauraH 7 October 24, 2015

Disappointing Female Role Model

Typically, there's just one 'token' female character, among crews of male characters. In the start of each show, as they embark on their daily adventure, Jake has his sword, Cubby has his map (tools, to get them out of trouble), but Izzy has her "pixie dust" -- given to her by the pixies for whenever they're *really* in a bind. The subliminal message here is that boys use tools, but girls need to be *gifted* magical "pixie dust" to pitch in and help out. It's not even her magical skills. It was gifted to her. Like she wouldn't have a contribution, otherwise. Why couldn't Izzy use some skills of her own? The crew does team up, and there's lots of friendship, and they do everything they can to get out of the binds they find themselves in, but in the end, they always need some magic. And then they're rewarded with money!? It's so commercial. I don't get why this show is considered educational, except for the counting. Having said that, my 6 year old daughter does love it. I wish there were stronger characteristics for her to admire in the one girl. And more girl characters in general, for that matter.
Kid, 12 years old November 23, 2014

Is Jake and The Never Land Pirates any good?

Jake and the Never Lands pirates is a terrible show. It teaches little kids that pirates are good and they will want to be like them. It also is a copy of peter pan. I have two questions though… 1. Where are there parents? and 2. If they do live by themselves how did they know how to find food, and basically look after themselves. Seriously, there three kids living in the middle of nowhere without parents. I don't recommend Jake and the Never Land Pirates.
Adult Written byabbieschiller October 7, 2014

Halloween episode was too scary!

My son (age 4) is fascinated by Jake and his "adventures" and I have reluctantly allowed it but this week a Halloween episode in which Jake is transformed into a "hairy beast" scared my little guy so badly he was literally shaking at bedtime. Really, Disney?! Do the writers even have kids? Because I was tempted to call them to help me put my kid to bed! On the positive side, he was so afraid he asked never to watch TV again...
Kid, 11 years old April 20, 2014

Very unsuitable.

Some of the scenes in this are worse than 18 film. I know people who haven't slept for a year after watching this. It's also a scam. It tells kids to go on unsuitable websites as well.