All member reviews for Jessie

Funny, family oriented series has some stereotyping.

Teen, 14 years old Written byaquaprincess November 12, 2011

Here is a very long, honest review about Jessie.

Disney's humor can only be described with few simple words: Stupid. Stereotypical. Sarcastic. Shallow. These three words have shaped today's Disney, from Shake It Up to A.N.T. Farm to Jessie. There are many things I can say about this show, from the annoying eleven-year-old to the little seven-year-old, from Bertram the butler to Mr. Kipling. But let me just list it. 1. Bras. They talk about this in a forced way, as if trying to be inappropriate. Why? Why do they need to talk about bras? What's the point? What's the need? Do they find this humorous? (This goes under Stupid humor). 2. Jessie. This woman is eighteen years old. Eighteen. What is she doing as a nanny to four kids? Why isn't she at college? What kind of example is she setting? When I was seven, I thought college was like school- you're absolutely required to go. What if there's another seven year old somewhere in the world that thinks the same thing? And they see this eighteen year old character who's not going to college? What will they think then? "Wait, I don't have to go and study. I can just become a nanny!" What else can Jessie do with her life? She was offered this position and took it in less than ten minutes. She knew almost nothing about the family, except for what she'd read in magazines about these rich people. (This goes under Shallow). 3. Richness. This doesn't have to do much with Jessie, but it does have to do with Disney Channel. So bras aren't a forbidden subject, but money is? Every single character in every Disney show gets everything they want, without even thinking about money! Sure, in Good Luck Charlie they work to make money, and they do talk about affording things sometimes, but generally everyone in Disney shows can get EVERYTHING THEY WANT. What is this? What about children who can't? How about a show about a child who doesn't have money or fame or excessive talent? What about a simple show that kids can relate to? (This goes under Shallow). 4. Emma. This girl absolutely drives me insane. She is the reason- she, this character- is the reason- that parents everywhere are becoming speechless at the rude things their children are saying to them. The attitude, the sarcasm. The kids crying because they think it's normal. After all, Emma says the most horrible things to Jessie and Bertram, and not once does she get told off. No, instead they just roll their eyes while a laugh track plays. In the description, on the website, they describe her as "sweet and motivated". Sweet and motivated? I know sweet and motivated. Emma is not sweet and motivated. Another thing that irritates me about Emma is what she learns. In every episode, she could do something wrong: devours teenage magazines, tries to be a friend of a snob, et cetera, and then she always learns her lesson. Lessons aren't supposed to be this shallow. Where is the character growth? Emma is a pathetic waste of time and space! (This goes under stupid, shallow, and sarcastic.) 5. Ravi. And this one really hits me hard. Because Ravi is Indian, yes. Ravi has been adopted recently, yes. But I have never met an Indian that yells, "Great Ganesh! I am a human samosa!" There's only one word for this and that word is 'Insulting'. He talks about different Indian foods, different Indian animals, and bluntly throws around things about the Hindu religion. At some moments, he sounds like he lived in a village or a jungle, in another in New Delhi. What is this absolute junk? India isn't a bunched up place of everything it's known for! Would Disney Channel EVER throw the word 'Jesus' around? No, of course not! So what gives them the right to throw the word 'Ganesh' about? Or 'Kali'? What gives them the right to mock the Indian culture? What on Earth gives them the right to so bluntly stereotype? Is this what they want in a child's mind? That people in a certain culture are all the same? (This files under 'Stereotypical'. 5. School. Do these children even GO to school? I have never seen them once go to school, except for Emma's science fair. And speaking of her science fair, what WAS that? She created a model of the solar system and read off a clipboard. Is that really a sixth-grade science fair? Yes or no? So they must be in school, and if they are, why do they have such interesting lives? Don't they have homework? (This goes under 'Stupid', of course.) 6. Luke. Luke is annoying, full of sexual jokes and hits on an 18-year-old. Please get somebody your own age. He always acts like he's the coolest person in the world. Now, if I was in Luke's grade, I would hate him. I would hate him to a point where he'd be an enemy of mine. Even Emma is not as ridiculously obnoxious as Luke. (This goes under 'Shallow'.) 7. Zuri. There are two things that really frustrates me about Zuri is that she wears makeup, and it's not stage makeup. It's eyeliner and mascara, and it's clearly visible. She is supposed to be seven! Should seven-year-old girls wear makeup? Why should they? Young, fresh, cute- what is the point of wearing makeup? Makeup was made in order for women to hide their flaws. Now it's just being created so it can be cheaply advertised to middle-schoolers, so they can look older. Now it's being advertised to seven year olds, as well? Why? Why would they wear it? The other thing that frustrates me about Zuri is how incredibly rude she is. And it looks fake. It looks as if she's a sweet girl, yet she learned how to be rude. It looks like she got her rudeness from a Disney Channel show. What is being promoted here? (Shallow, sarcastic) 8. Mr. Kipling. I beg of you, Disney Channel. Take Mr. Kipling off the show and have Ravi mourn him. Everything he does looks as if someone's dubbed it in. He cannot move that fast. He just looks too sluggish. He cannot eat people. He looks like he's the size of an iguana. (Stupid). 9. Tony. I don't know much about Italy, but I know he's trying to be forced into a New York-Italian stereotype. He always has pastas with names I've never heard. I can't say much about him, though, because I don't know much about Italy. Or New York. (Stereotypical.) 10. Jessie's "Texas Guys" song. I have just one question: WHAT'S WRONG WITH TEXAS GUYS? Honestly? You can't sing that song! There are thousands of guys in Texas! Not all of them are the kinds that you pick, Jessie! That is judgmental and a developing stereotype. (Stereotypical). Under the 'What Should Other Families Know About..." column, why does it not say 'Stereotypes'? Or 'Bad Role Models'? Or 'Negative Messages'? Or 'The Exact Opposite of Educational'? Because that's what I give Jessie. That's what I'd like to give Jessie.
Parent Written bymotherofthreeunder10 October 26, 2011

"Jessie" NOT tween-appropriate

I was shocked that this show was on the Disney Channel. It is geared toward and advertised to tweens. There were three major no-no's in my book in a single episode and we won't be watching this show again. 1. 10-ish boy (Luke) says to 12-ish girl (Emma) "I can't believe I get credit for taking pictures of cute girls." Emma responds, "The assignment is to take pictures of New York's flora and fauna." Luke answers, "I hope those are hot Latin twins." Jessie asks him, "Do you have an 'off' button?" Luke raises his eyebrows and says, "Yes...wanna come find it?" 2. Nasty neighbor (Mrs. Chesterfield) tells her dog, "Give me a kiss." The dog licks her face, which in itself is not bad, but it goes on for a LONG time and she opens her mouth while the dog is licking her lips. In the background the doorman yells, "Hey! No PDA in the lobby!" 3. 6-ish girl (Zuri) tell Jessie that her imaginary frenemy has ripped the head off Zuri's doll. She then adds, "You should see what she did to my Build-a-Baboon! Now he'll never have children!" What is the most disturbing about #1 and #3 is that there are YOUNG children saying these things. And the show wasn't even that funny. The acting was terrible.
Teen, 13 years old Written byawesome1012 October 23, 2011

Way too inappropriate!

The only reason that I rated this ok for kids 10 and up is because kids probably won't get the sexual jokes, but they are still there. For example: jessie: do you have an off button?! little boy: why don't you try and find it *wink* or....... little girl: my (imaginary) friend hurt my monkey! now he'll never have kids! and this isn't really sexual content, I just stopped watching it after this, I was really offended: older girl: look my new leopard beat magazine! they have an article on bra stuffing, "socks or napkins?"! jessie: the answer is neither.......its two ply toilet paper *smiles mischievously* that just was horrible, they were PROMOTING NEGATIVE body image to girls as young as six! that is why i stopped even watching it.
Kid, 11 years old September 30, 2011

Really Disney?

This show was simply made to replace the "Suite Life" series. All the gags are cheap and inappropriate. I would never let my kids watch a show that is such a waste of time.
Parent of a 7, 9, 11, and 13 year old Written byadoman November 25, 2011

Thanks, but no thanks.

Bra stuffing is not a topic I'd expose my children to, same with bullying without any consequences, and the sexual references are inappropriate. Tired of the media telling our young teenagers that they need to change their bodies to meet the world's standards. Horrible role models and very negative message for kiddos. Come on, Disney.
Kid, 11 years old November 27, 2011

INAPPROPRIATE

Wow talk about an inappropriate Disney show. Dude! This is kids show. It really sends us a message when a guy sees Jessie's bra in the first episode! It's incredibly horrible to watch. Zuri talks about her teddy bear "not being able to have children", Luke wants Jessie to find his off button, and Emma wants to know what to stuff bras with. Can you imagine your child or younger sibling going to school telling kids how to stuff their bra?! I mean seriously Disney.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydoodlebuggy(: October 9, 2011

Replacement of Suite Life and Predictable. Kinda boring to teens!

Well, this show is just too predictable. Its a cheap shot at replacing "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody." I mean come on. A hotel-looking suite? A nasty uptight manager? A butler who Jessie falls in love with? Crazy kids running a muck? You probably get the idea. Other than that, Debby Ryan is getting better at acting, the characters are cute and spunky, and there are a few chuckles here and there. Great for little kids, kinda boring for older tweens. :)
Adult Written byTinyToya October 1, 2011

Self-Absorbed Parents, Crazy Kids, and Bailey-I mean- "Jesse" make for an Okay Show

Well, Debby Ryan is not the best actress Disney has to offer, but the show did make me laugh a couple times. The laughter was mostly due to actors/actresses half Ryan's age! The show moves quickly with a very predictable plot, but it is not too terrible. "Mr. Kipling" did cost this show a couple stars for me; his role is completely ridiculous, but maybe the pet lizard is funny for children. Finally, the parents so far are not role models, but that seems like it might be subject to change. Update: Upon watching more episodes of the show I find that I must say this: The acting from the butler and Zuri is grating on my nerves a bit. Zuri is a sweet girl who is constantly trying to work her mouth around attitude-inspired phrases; like the annoying "mmm-hmm" you sometimes hear her say. Honestly, it hardly seems like she can get these phrases out of her mouth! The butler (whose name I am not spelling because I don't want to butcher it) seems like he is holding back a lot of true humor in order to seem "kid-friendly". His lines fall flat because of him overselling them or underselling them. If he found the right medium he could deliver lines with just the right amount of zeal and humor.
Adult Written byHeyArnold84 October 23, 2011

"Hey Jessie!" Not!

This show seems like a harmless kids show at first glance. And, it sort of is. Sort of. There are actually some very mild inappropriate jokes, but no kid under 11 would understand them (I don't think any kid above that age would even watch the show.) The acting is pretty cheesy, with exaggerated humor and the like. The situations that Jessie and the kids get into are also highly exaggerated. I mean, what elementary school kids would find a helicopter on their roof and get inside it? But no worries, kids will just laugh and think it's funny.
Kid, 11 years old November 9, 2011

an ok show mainly for 7yrs and up

an ok show mainly for 7 yrs and up. Debbie Ryan is better in Jessie than suite life. but there are some innapropiate parts in this show like the kids parents kiss all the time. and Luke hitting on Jessie when Debbie is annoyed. i think Zuri is a little bit innapropiate like when she says to an adult said that they had a visus rodet in the hotel and Zuri says "Why not you like here" and when she says You don't wanna know what she did to my build a bamboo now he'll never have kids!" and when she says "she dosen't know it's a bra" Zuri is just disrespectful. i don't have a problem when any of the other characters. but this show is ok but it should be rated Y7
Kid, 11 years old October 23, 2011

To Sexualized

Wait, you're telling me that Fred is for teens but this show is for 7 year olds?! They have dirty, nasty jokes. One was were the little boy, Luke, was talking to Jessie and "maybe after dinner we'll..." and was reaching to her butt. Was'nt this show for kids? Stupid. I really expected better from Disney. If you see you see your kids watching this, TURN IT OFF!
Teen, 14 years old Written byrebma97 September 28, 2011

Some adult humor slipped in

This show is pretty predictable, but I enjoy it slightly more than the average Disney Channel series. Jessie is a mostly good role model who tries to teach the kids good morals. Sex: Besides flirting, there's also some humor targeted at older kids; in one episode, a girl talks about how a magazine talks about stuffing bras. She asks Jessie what she thought was good to stuff in your bra, and Jessie answers her question. Language; Some insults; no cursing, except in the first episode Jessie said, "Go kick some asteroid!" Hopefully, any adult humor will go over kids' heads.
Parent Written byParentlove October 2, 2011

Possibly Changing My Mind...A Great New Sitcom Appropriate for the Entire Family

I read over this review I wrote at the start of the Jessie series and the recent episodes have me changing my mind. One thing I loved about Jessie was that she was that cool, beautiful, mentor/ older sister that every kid loves to have while simultaneously seeing Ryan's brilliant comedic timing. I am however, becoming increasingly concerned by the level of disrespect that the kids are beginning to show to Jessie. I know that it's just a tv show, but kids are influenced by what they watch. It's the main reason why this site is so popular. I was very happy to point to both Debby Ryan and Jessie as a role model to my kids. Ryan seems to still be a great role model and has had no controversy while merging into adulthood. The sitcom seems to be steering away from this with increasing amount of insults to Jessie, one of the few decent adults on the Disney channel. This is an easy go to for comedy writers, but cheap shots at adults is not the reason I supported Jessie. I am a little concerned by the season 3 announcement where the executive said that they will focus on the kids and Debby's comedic stylings as the kids run Jessie around. I hope and pray that they do not take the one show where the kids can have that beautiful guardian angel in Jessie and turn it into the tired go to story where the adult is inconsequential factor in the show. Does anyone know how you write the Disney channel about something like this? Below was my initial review. The show is clean and fun for our entire family. The show has the potential to raise relevant issues for family discussions while still being really entertaining, even for adults. Debby Ryan is able to balance her comedic timing with a refreshing and tangible warmth. The kids are all funny! This is our new family favorite.
Kid, 11 years old October 10, 2011

Jessie

I like Debby Ryan just fine, but I feel that their are too many sex jokes. A little girl says this: "So in So hurt my Stuffed monkey! now He'll never be able to have kids!" Come on Dinsey, really? Another time Jessie says "Go kick some astorid!" Okay, that's too far! Jessie was talking to Emma about Tony, and she says "As long as he doesn't touch my N zone!" Not good. Besides the bad laugage, flirting, kissing, and sex jokes, its an okay show.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bylititzmom October 15, 2011

trying to be too much for too many

I wanted to like this show... my kids were excited about it and stayed up late to watch it (only allowed to watch TV on Friday and Saturday evenings). But the sexual innuendos and dating and all that are just too much for younger kids--my 7 and 9 year olds just don't need to have that in their face. Too bad, cause other parts of it seemed sweet with nice family messages.
Teen, 16 years old Written byveils October 31, 2011

hey jessie, hey jessie

Well it's pretty obvious it's for kids and it's completely friendly. So no worries there. Is it a good show? No it isn't for a couple reasons. There are racial stereotypes, terrible acting, overused plot lines, and the list goes on and on.
Kid, 11 years old October 18, 2011

A disney channel desire

1. A.N.T Farm replaced Suite Life 2. That's how channel's work! 3. For an 11 year-old, "bra" is NOT a bad word and neither is "moon" You sometime have to grow up and Jessie shows how.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 November 28, 2011

LOTS of hidden jokes...

I personally find this show funny. Some parts are corny, but kids find it entertaining and love to see people falling down. I LOVE Zuri. She's got such a little 'tude! Zuri: I bet they didn't have playgrounds when YOU were a kid. Mean old rich lady: I'm only 28! Zuri: Maybe in dog years... :) hahahaha. The whole "mini dinosaur as a pet" thing I find unnecessary, but little kids like seeing an animal other than a dog or cat, something from another continent, but Ravi "sat on him as an egg"? Oh my gosh shoot me now. I hate Emma. Oh my word, if she went to school with me, me and my friends would hate her snotty rich girl guts. She's a smart-alec, and is a PRISS!! She is disrespectful, and answers to no one but herself. This is why kids nowadays are snott-nosed brats. Think they can disrespect their elders, and just be brats because Emma does it. If she was a real person, and not a character, and went to my school, well, let's just say we...wouldn't get along... Or I'd have to refrain from ripping her preppy brat blond hair out. All she reads is teen magazines? Oh gosh that means she probably likes Justin Bieber and Twilight. Excuse me while I vomit. And the "Jessie being from Texas" thing. Oh my word, that ticks me OFF! They're making her sound like she lived in a trailer and ate roadkill! What on earth? But I have never seen as many hidden sex jokes in a kids' show. Such as this. Emma: If Tony touches you from wrist to fingertips it means you're about to hold hands, then you're in the romance zone! Jessie: As long as he doesn't touch my "N Zone". And this: Jessie: And where did you come from, sweetie? Zuri: Mom and Dad say the stork, but the 7th graders have another idea. I started laughing so hard then! I don't think the targeted audience will understand this, so it's not a big deal. They don't get a lot of things, and that's the beauty of being a kid! Carefree, not worrying about what they don't understand, not control-hungry like adults. This incognito little element will keep parents from ripping their hair out after watching too much Dora. If your kid doesn't understand it THEN WHY DOES IT MATTER IF THEY SEE IT?!
Adult Written byHollyworld November 19, 2011

Unfunny, inappropriate show for kids

I'm disappointed in the CommoSense review of this show. I am careful but flexible with what I let my daughter watch, and she's seen PG and PG13 stuff if the good outweighs the bad. But this show is full of inappropriate innuendo and sexual references by very young kids as well as "Jessie". I don't think 8 or 9 year old girls need to hear their heroine saying "As long as he doesn't touch my end zone". Other reviews have done an excellent job of pointing out other examples of unfunny, inappropriate dialogue. And it's just not funny, clever or positive enough to excuse those moments. This should be rated as for 11 year olds and up, if kids should watch this show at all. Oh, and the over-used, over-loud laugh track drives me crazy!
Parent Written bytoningup October 16, 2011

Gets old fast

I dont like the concept, or the characters. Kids misbehave in dumb ways talk back and dont show anything positive. Whats up with the lizard? they are milking it too much and not funny. I love debby but disney gave her a fail. Its like a single mom with baggage... the big guy butler is the only one that makes me laugh.