All parent member reviews for Jessie

Parent Written bymotherofthreeunder10 October 26, 2011

"Jessie" NOT tween-appropriate

I was shocked that this show was on the Disney Channel. It is geared toward and advertised to tweens. There were three major no-no's in my book in a single episode and we won't be watching this show again. 1. 10-ish boy (Luke) says to 12-ish girl (Emma) "I can't believe I get credit for taking pictures of cute girls." Emma responds, "The assignment is to take pictures of New York's flora and fauna." Luke answers, "I hope those are hot Latin twins." Jessie asks him, "Do you have an 'off' button?" Luke raises his eyebrows and says, "Yes...wanna come find it?" 2. Nasty neighbor (Mrs. Chesterfield) tells her dog, "Give me a kiss." The dog licks her face, which in itself is not bad, but it goes on for a LONG time and she opens her mouth while the dog is licking her lips. In the background the doorman yells, "Hey! No PDA in the lobby!" 3. 6-ish girl (Zuri) tell Jessie that her imaginary frenemy has ripped the head off Zuri's doll. She then adds, "You should see what she did to my Build-a-Baboon! Now he'll never have children!" What is the most disturbing about #1 and #3 is that there are YOUNG children saying these things. And the show wasn't even that funny. The acting was terrible.
Adult Written byHollyworld November 19, 2011

Unfunny, inappropriate show for kids

I'm disappointed in the CommoSense review of this show. I am careful but flexible with what I let my daughter watch, and she's seen PG and PG13 stuff if the good outweighs the bad. But this show is full of inappropriate innuendo and sexual references by very young kids as well as "Jessie". I don't think 8 or 9 year old girls need to hear their heroine saying "As long as he doesn't touch my end zone". Other reviews have done an excellent job of pointing out other examples of unfunny, inappropriate dialogue. And it's just not funny, clever or positive enough to excuse those moments. This should be rated as for 11 year olds and up, if kids should watch this show at all. Oh, and the over-used, over-loud laugh track drives me crazy!
Parent of a 7, 9, 11, and 13 year old Written byadoman November 25, 2011

Thanks, but no thanks.

Bra stuffing is not a topic I'd expose my children to, same with bullying without any consequences, and the sexual references are inappropriate. Tired of the media telling our young teenagers that they need to change their bodies to meet the world's standards. Horrible role models and very negative message for kiddos. Come on, Disney.
Parent Written byLumiere March 4, 2012

What You Don't Notice (Apparently)

The sad part about the core review here is what the reviewer doesn't see. The sexual and ethnic innuendos are rampant. And there are a surprisingly large number of "violence works" messages cleverly added in. Sure, most kids won't "get it", but what they will do is store the phraseology and what they see as "successful behaviors" and then start to use them. Parents, is this really how you see children? Is this really how you'd like them to be? As one acquaintance put it, "Jessie is borscht belt humor for kids." The show's parents are materialistic viscerati who are as distant from their offspring as folks who communicate only by texting or email. The "wholesome family messages" are crammed in at the end to justify the show's genre. Every moment is either a punch-line or a sight-gag setup. And because today's actual parents are rarely present as sounding boards, their kids begin to gradually model their behavior after what they see on shows like this. C'mon. As a former teacher of this age range, I could see from year to year how my students were becoming infected by the content of TV programming. And it was disturbing. People wonder why our country is becoming increasingly screwed up. Just wait 'til a few more generations of TV shows like this begin to affect even more kids. Now, having said that, this should not in any way be a condemnation of the show's incredibly talented cast. But talented kids don't automatically make a show worthwhile. They just add a glimmer of hope.
Parent Written bymysticrob August 23, 2012

I dislike reading other people's reviews anymore...here's mine though to try to correct some things

Ok...so...I read some other reviews and some are bugging me, while I do agree with others. They bug me the same way youtube comments do, and others bug me because they are just incorrect. First, I'll address the replacement notions...who cares what replaces what? People grow up and the same show can even still work years later, but also other shows coming around are usually a good thing too. Next, and seemingly important to say, Debby says in a couple interviews Disney is broadening their horizons and reaching out to more age groups. The humor in this show is very much like "regular" non-Disney sitcoms, but with some Disney extra-silliness thrown in. Also, the issue that really bugs me people keep saying is the one of racial stereotypes...no...the group is DIVERSE intentionally and Debby helped create diverse characters intentionally to make things mix in humorous and entertaining ways. It also can help the kids learn how to accept one another's differences, possibly creating good moral ideas. The very minorly edgy and sometimes heading toward sexual or sarcastic humor makes those who normally wouldn't care to watch Disney (like my friend who is also 21) like the show better, and give it a chance in the first place. Debby also has said some jokes are meant for the 12 year olds, then some for the 18 year olds, or 21 year olds or 40 year olds,etc. while others are for the other age groups. Parents should know their kids well enough to know if they can handle any show or not, regardless of recommended ratings, and this show is funny for multiple age groups like the original sitcoms were (although most were adult centered then too, but not fully inappropriate for kids) and the acting from the kids is very good. It isn't inappropriate for children, but I wouldn't let really young kids watch it like you might Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or something, because it is entertaining not instructional. It isn't meant to teach and guide, but to occasionally have a moral to the story while causing laughs and shock, like all sitcoms. Enjoy or not, but nitpicking things when the show is actually not a stupid inappropriate cartoon with too much sarcasm, insulting or violence (yet somehow misconstrued as ok because of it being a cartoon- with generally bad art nowadays i might add) which happens to be on a kid's network is silly and not too helpful. Disney is a family channel, not a kid's network primarily, they just happen to target younger age groups because it's who they can market to, but they want to now move on to targeting everyone in the family for the family network.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byfauvette March 22, 2012

Sexism, innuendo, and superficial "role models" make this a pass.

The show makes me regret relenting on the whining for Disney in my house. For one thing, there is too much sexual innuendo - in one episode "romancing the crone", an older female neighbor is bending over suggestively and mentions something about "the view" to the butler Bertram, who is visibly horrified. Disney really thinks I want my kids to watch this? I won't go into many details because you can watch an ep for 5 minutes to see for yourself. For a show that is aimed at tween girls to contain so much sexism is inexcusable. The main characters are materialistic and shallow. Stereotypes are reinforced constantly (fat, old, or unattractive characters are frequently insulted and made jokes of). This show must be marketed towards the kids of the same people who think the Kardashians and the cast of Jersey Shore are role models. This show is off in my house, and so is 99% of the programming on Disney.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bylititzmom October 15, 2011

trying to be too much for too many

I wanted to like this show... my kids were excited about it and stayed up late to watch it (only allowed to watch TV on Friday and Saturday evenings). But the sexual innuendos and dating and all that are just too much for younger kids--my 7 and 9 year olds just don't need to have that in their face. Too bad, cause other parts of it seemed sweet with nice family messages.
Parent Written bytvessia February 4, 2012

Inappropriate for school children

Just tried watching this with my 7 yr old daughter and 5 minutes into the show, a 9-10 yr old girl is asking Jessie the best way to stuff a bra and Jessie recommend tissue. Next scene the conversation turns to dating and how to tell if a boy likes you.. Not messages a child needs to worry about at least for another 10 years!!!
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 11 year old Written byAnEpicGuy December 3, 2012

Review says it all

This has nothing good in it. BANNED like MOST Disney shows.
Parent Written byMikeAB December 1, 2012

Sad circumstances

This program does not show the children in a good light and Debby Ryan is an intelligent woman in real life but on the show she is made to look completely stupid and not teaching any good values at all. My daughter sometimes watches this show and I really don’t say no to her, but when I watch it I am in awe on how totally invaluable the messages they provide are. Disney is a family network and company and they should be ashamed at themselves to allow there company provides a show like this to so many children and young adults in this matter. The other problem with this program is that the parents are never around and for being a family show this is a horror. The children do not learn a single thing from their parents which is sad and very disturbing. The writers and producers of this show and others within this channel better start growing a brain and learn from the massive mistakes they have created with the vast majority of the shows they currently have on, sadly I will start to tell my daughter to stop watching the Disney channel because the inept responsibilities of teaching good values they are currently not showing.
Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written byMommaMichelle September 29, 2012

Absolutely NOT!

This show is absolutely TERRIBLE. My twin daughters wanted to watch it, so I watched the first episode to see if it was appropriate. But there is alot of innapropriate references. I'm not one of those Mom's who bans every single show. I let my daughters watch Disney Channel, but I don't like them watching this show AT ALL. It's banned from our house. The character that gets me disgusted, is Luke. He is always flirting with the nanny in an innapropriate manner. I also do not like the episode where Jessie and Tony are at a prom at their apartment. While Tony is putting a flower on her dress, and his hands have to be near her breast to do it. But then Zuri says: "I don't want any dwaddling fingers!" This is ridiculous! There is also way too much use of the word "constipated"! DO not reccomend.
Parent Written bytoningup October 16, 2011

Gets old fast

I dont like the concept, or the characters. Kids misbehave in dumb ways talk back and dont show anything positive. Whats up with the lizard? they are milking it too much and not funny. I love debby but disney gave her a fail. Its like a single mom with baggage... the big guy butler is the only one that makes me laugh.
Parent Written byParentlove October 2, 2011

Possibly Changing My Mind...A Great New Sitcom Appropriate for the Entire Family

I read over this review I wrote at the start of the Jessie series and the recent episodes have me changing my mind. One thing I loved about Jessie was that she was that cool, beautiful, mentor/ older sister that every kid loves to have while simultaneously seeing Ryan's brilliant comedic timing. I am however, becoming increasingly concerned by the level of disrespect that the kids are beginning to show to Jessie. I know that it's just a tv show, but kids are influenced by what they watch. It's the main reason why this site is so popular. I was very happy to point to both Debby Ryan and Jessie as a role model to my kids. Ryan seems to still be a great role model and has had no controversy while merging into adulthood. The sitcom seems to be steering away from this with increasing amount of insults to Jessie, one of the few decent adults on the Disney channel. This is an easy go to for comedy writers, but cheap shots at adults is not the reason I supported Jessie. I am a little concerned by the season 3 announcement where the executive said that they will focus on the kids and Debby's comedic stylings as the kids run Jessie around. I hope and pray that they do not take the one show where the kids can have that beautiful guardian angel in Jessie and turn it into the tired go to story where the adult is inconsequential factor in the show. Does anyone know how you write the Disney channel about something like this? Below was my initial review. The show is clean and fun for our entire family. The show has the potential to raise relevant issues for family discussions while still being really entertaining, even for adults. Debby Ryan is able to balance her comedic timing with a refreshing and tangible warmth. The kids are all funny! This is our new family favorite.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byCvJ82 April 12, 2013

OMG, JUST DONT!

The actress that plays that Jesse girl is WAY TOO OLD for this channel. There are so many stereotypes on this show...so much RACISM. It's disgusting to watch. My son is FORBIDDEN to watch this show.
Educator and Parent Written byeducatork6 December 29, 2012

I think this show caters to consumerism. Most children who watch this show do not live in Jessie's socio-economic status. There's too much on what you wear, who's cool, and etc. There aren't any bad words, but the slangs are sometimes adult-like ("keep your hands above the equator"). Yes kids might not know what this means, but Disney needs to remember that kids watch this and there's no reason to add comedy for adults...we can watch other stuff. Let us think of the kids in the script!!!
Parent of a 8 and 15 year old Written byCosmo21 September 21, 2013

Yet another horrible Disney Channel show

Like many, if not most, Disney Channel programs, this one presents most adults as complete idiots. I also question the premise of this show. Jessie is supposed to be a nanny to several young children, yet considering her often irresponsible and childish behavior, she would be the last person I would hire as a nanny. The only adult regularly featured in this show is the butler, who is portrayed as a buffoon. The Disney Channel seems intent on teaching children to have nothing but disrespect (and in some cases, contempt) for not only their parents but adults in general. I think Walt would be rolling over in his grave.
Adult Written bystoryfan09 July 19, 2012

about all disney shows, even jessie

I think "Jessie" is an okay show, sure it has a lot of bad messages in the show, but kids needs to learn this at a young age, yes, they'll learn this around sixth grade (I did) but, for god's sake, yes, Ravi is stereotypical, but frankly, it's teaching kids about a different culture. Yes, the kids are rude, but it doesn't mean you should let YOUR kids take on the attitude simple solution. So, stop bagging on a show, simple solution there. Don't like it. Don't watch it. Kids like it, let them explore new horizons. Just don't let them take on the attitudes the kids on the show let off. If you do, bad parenting right there.
Parent Written byMattmckee1 March 7, 2012

Good show for all ages for different reasons

This show is obviously for all ages the younger end will like it for the crazy antics that are in it and the inappropriate things will pass over their heads. The older crowed will enjoy the somewhat more grown up things about the show as it takes a bit of thinking to catch on. As for the bra comments, there is nothing wrong or sexual about a bra. It is simply a piece of clothing that all girls wear at young ages. What do you think a swimsuit top is anyway? Nothing wrong with that. As for Luke's attempts to "get with" Jessie, they are shot down by her immeaditly every time. If you pay attention you also see that the kids may sometimes be bratty on the show, they still all care deeply for each other. It's a good funny show and the parents who see only the bad things need to open up their minds or blame themselves for letting their kids watch something they don't like and not mess it up for those of us who like the show.
Adult Written byCall_me23 March 10, 2014

Good show

This show in all is good for kids but there where some heavy stereotyping that I noticed. You have the dumb blonde, the sassy little black girl, the little white boy that hits on everything that moves, the indian boy that can't speak english very well and messes up frequently and gets made fun of for it too.
Parent Written bydostajoan September 11, 2013

pretty good

I like that the main character is not pursuing stardom. Most Disney shows are about that. Well written sitcom, good young actors. Nice diff. types of people in it. Corny, but that's fine. One story line about a young girls romantic interest was vetoed by this mom.