Funny, family oriented series has some stereotyping.

Kid, 11 years old October 10, 2011

Jessie

I like Debby Ryan just fine, but I feel that their are too many sex jokes. A little girl says this: "So in So hurt my Stuffed monkey! now He'll never be able to have kids!" Come on Dinsey, really? Another time Jessie says "Go kick some astorid!" Okay, that's too far! Jessie was talking to Emma about Tony, and she says "As long as he doesn't touch my N zone!" Not good. Besides the bad laugage, flirting, kissing, and sex jokes, its an okay show.
Parent Written byParentlove October 2, 2011

Possibly Changing My Mind...A Great New Sitcom Appropriate for the Entire Family

I read over this review I wrote at the start of the Jessie series and the recent episodes have me changing my mind. One thing I loved about Jessie was that she was that cool, beautiful, mentor/ older sister that every kid loves to have while simultaneously seeing Ryan's brilliant comedic timing. I am however, becoming increasingly concerned by the level of disrespect that the kids are beginning to show to Jessie. I know that it's just a tv show, but kids are influenced by what they watch. It's the main reason why this site is so popular. I was very happy to point to both Debby Ryan and Jessie as a role model to my kids. Ryan seems to still be a great role model and has had no controversy while merging into adulthood. The sitcom seems to be steering away from this with increasing amount of insults to Jessie, one of the few decent adults on the Disney channel. This is an easy go to for comedy writers, but cheap shots at adults is not the reason I supported Jessie. I am a little concerned by the season 3 announcement where the executive said that they will focus on the kids and Debby's comedic stylings as the kids run Jessie around. I hope and pray that they do not take the one show where the kids can have that beautiful guardian angel in Jessie and turn it into the tired go to story where the adult is inconsequential factor in the show. Does anyone know how you write the Disney channel about something like this? Below was my initial review. The show is clean and fun for our entire family. The show has the potential to raise relevant issues for family discussions while still being really entertaining, even for adults. Debby Ryan is able to balance her comedic timing with a refreshing and tangible warmth. The kids are all funny! This is our new family favorite.
Adult Written byHeyArnold84 October 23, 2011

"Hey Jessie!" Not!

This show seems like a harmless kids show at first glance. And, it sort of is. Sort of. There are actually some very mild inappropriate jokes, but no kid under 11 would understand them (I don't think any kid above that age would even watch the show.) The acting is pretty cheesy, with exaggerated humor and the like. The situations that Jessie and the kids get into are also highly exaggerated. I mean, what elementary school kids would find a helicopter on their roof and get inside it? But no worries, kids will just laugh and think it's funny.
Adult Written byTinyToya October 1, 2011

Self-Absorbed Parents, Crazy Kids, and Bailey-I mean- "Jesse" make for an Okay Show

Well, Debby Ryan is not the best actress Disney has to offer, but the show did make me laugh a couple times. The laughter was mostly due to actors/actresses half Ryan's age! The show moves quickly with a very predictable plot, but it is not too terrible. "Mr. Kipling" did cost this show a couple stars for me; his role is completely ridiculous, but maybe the pet lizard is funny for children. Finally, the parents so far are not role models, but that seems like it might be subject to change. Update: Upon watching more episodes of the show I find that I must say this: The acting from the butler and Zuri is grating on my nerves a bit. Zuri is a sweet girl who is constantly trying to work her mouth around attitude-inspired phrases; like the annoying "mmm-hmm" you sometimes hear her say. Honestly, it hardly seems like she can get these phrases out of her mouth! The butler (whose name I am not spelling because I don't want to butcher it) seems like he is holding back a lot of true humor in order to seem "kid-friendly". His lines fall flat because of him overselling them or underselling them. If he found the right medium he could deliver lines with just the right amount of zeal and humor.
Kid, 11 years old June 18, 2013

Why, Disney, WHY?!

How can this show be on for kids 7 and older? I don't think so! First, let's start of talking about ALL the characters...where do I start...Jessie. Jessie is an 18-year-old who moved to New York to "live her dreams" and then got kicked out of the cab because she could pay. Then...BAM! Zuri finds her and Jessie becomes and nanny. Just like that. That doesn't happen in reality. Jessie tells these stories about her relationships and hometown, but they don't make sense and are so boring...like, she brings them up at the most awkward moments. And she think that just because she works for a rich family, means that she is "rich" as well. Like, what the heck?! Let's move on to EMMA. Ugh, Emma. She is waaaay too obsessed with fashion, beauty, and popular. She is rude to Jessie and is just....annoying and....RUDE! I mean, I don't even know what to say about her anymore! Okay, Luke. Nasty, rude, inappropriate Luke. WHY is a 13 year old obsessed with a 19 year old NANNY?! He says the most inappropriate things that 7 year olds wouldn't understand; poor little kids. He has toned it down recently, but he thinks he's above everyone. AND he has really poor hygiene! How does that set an example for children? Ravi. Wow, for the newest adopted child of the Ross family he has a mouth! I mean, he is rude to Jessie and sometimes his other siblings! He's obsessed with Mrs. Kipling, this stupid, looks-fake-but-is-not water monitor lizard (WHY does that have to be in the show?!) Ravi is just horrible and he talks about gods waaaay too much. Why is this show using religion? And Zuri. Zuri thinks because she is so cute, she can get whatever she wants, that little diva. She is such a spoiled brat, althought she is the Ross child most loyal to Jessie (once in a blue moon). Bertram, the butler, is lazy and hates kids. My younger brother is starting to copy him when Bertram says, "It's too far," when the thing he needs to get in an inch away from him. What a role model! (Note the sarcasm.) The kids are so rude to the adults on the show, and the writers think that makes the show FUNNY! WOW! The kids treat Jessie and Bertram like servants, and so do the Ross kids' parents. That's just horrible. It also seems like the writers are OBSESSED with bras. I ALWAYS hear about bras on that show! Really, really, nice. I am sick of this show and what it teaches innocent children. I only like how determined Jessie can be and sometimes the anti-bullying messages. "Jessie" is so pointless; I guess Disney is running out of ideas! I have an idea: PLEASE cancel this show.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydirectioner23 April 7, 2013

Are you people crazy?

Everyone on here is like freaking out because of the 'sexual innuendo' it has. First of all that 'sexual innuendo' is very, very mild and no child under 10 should even understand that. If your 7 year old understands the joke then maybe its something you did wrong. Like I don't know, maybe letting them watch I FREAKING CARLY! Everyone thinks that show is so sweet and great but its not! Its a good show but its not for kids! But back to Jessie, it really cute and actually very funny. To the person that said Ravi's character is racist do you know what the definition of racism is? The definition of racism, straight from the dictionary, is "The belief that one's worth is predetermined by their race." So how on earth is giving an Indian character an Indian accent even suggesting that Ravi is any less of a person just because he is Indian. I would call the character a bit cheesy but definitely not racist! People these days!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 November 28, 2011

LOTS of hidden jokes...

I personally find this show funny. Some parts are corny, but kids find it entertaining and love to see people falling down. I LOVE Zuri. She's got such a little 'tude! Zuri: I bet they didn't have playgrounds when YOU were a kid. Mean old rich lady: I'm only 28! Zuri: Maybe in dog years... :) hahahaha. The whole "mini dinosaur as a pet" thing I find unnecessary, but little kids like seeing an animal other than a dog or cat, something from another continent, but Ravi "sat on him as an egg"? Oh my gosh shoot me now. I hate Emma. Oh my word, if she went to school with me, me and my friends would hate her snotty rich girl guts. She's a smart-alec, and is a PRISS!! She is disrespectful, and answers to no one but herself. This is why kids nowadays are snott-nosed brats. Think they can disrespect their elders, and just be brats because Emma does it. If she was a real person, and not a character, and went to my school, well, let's just say we...wouldn't get along... Or I'd have to refrain from ripping her preppy brat blond hair out. All she reads is teen magazines? Oh gosh that means she probably likes Justin Bieber and Twilight. Excuse me while I vomit. And the "Jessie being from Texas" thing. Oh my word, that ticks me OFF! They're making her sound like she lived in a trailer and ate roadkill! What on earth? But I have never seen as many hidden sex jokes in a kids' show. Such as this. Emma: If Tony touches you from wrist to fingertips it means you're about to hold hands, then you're in the romance zone! Jessie: As long as he doesn't touch my "N Zone". And this: Jessie: And where did you come from, sweetie? Zuri: Mom and Dad say the stork, but the 7th graders have another idea. I started laughing so hard then! I don't think the targeted audience will understand this, so it's not a big deal. They don't get a lot of things, and that's the beauty of being a kid! Carefree, not worrying about what they don't understand, not control-hungry like adults. This incognito little element will keep parents from ripping their hair out after watching too much Dora. If your kid doesn't understand it THEN WHY DOES IT MATTER IF THEY SEE IT?!
Parent Written bytoningup October 16, 2011

Gets old fast

I dont like the concept, or the characters. Kids misbehave in dumb ways talk back and dont show anything positive. Whats up with the lizard? they are milking it too much and not funny. I love debby but disney gave her a fail. Its like a single mom with baggage... the big guy butler is the only one that makes me laugh.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydoodlebuggy(: October 9, 2011

Replacement of Suite Life and Predictable. Kinda boring to teens!

Well, this show is just too predictable. Its a cheap shot at replacing "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody." I mean come on. A hotel-looking suite? A nasty uptight manager? A butler who Jessie falls in love with? Crazy kids running a muck? You probably get the idea. Other than that, Debby Ryan is getting better at acting, the characters are cute and spunky, and there are a few chuckles here and there. Great for little kids, kinda boring for older tweens. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byauggie123 January 21, 2012

End the Show ASAP

Disney should not renew this show for another season. Worst Disney show ever!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byCvJ82 April 12, 2013

OMG, JUST DONT!

The actress that plays that Jesse girl is WAY TOO OLD for this channel. There are so many stereotypes on this show...so much RACISM. It's disgusting to watch. My son is FORBIDDEN to watch this show.
Kid, 11 years old May 20, 2012

5 stars!

Best show you'll ever see!
Teen, 13 years old Written byChickable2 February 11, 2012

Disney's Dark Side

Jessie should be in college, NOT a nanny. Zuri is basically a sassy child, who gets what she wants. Luke, why the heck is he flirting with Jessie. Emma, is a future Anorexic. Ravi, well he's really not doing anything. But do you have to put stilettos and a dress above the knees on a 13 year old?! The kids are always into trouble. Again Zuri , a sassy girl who can't keep her sassy mouth shut, and demands everything! What happened to you Disney, now you make the worst of even the cutest things!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byEyanTywan November 12, 2011

Hey Jessie! You just got cancelled!

Positives: Replacement Negatives: 6 yr old stereotypical girl knows about: Bras , How kids are made , violent (for her age) imagination , just plain dumb Replacement of good shows Useless lizard Cheap Humor ( VERY CHEAP) Bad Acting Good if your 7
Kid, 10 years old October 30, 2011

Jessie's an approprite show.!!! :)

Well this is just me but,it does have kissing and flirting and love in it but it is not bad no naughty languages and drugs and achool or smoking in it so I think it is an appropriate show for kids 9and up.
Parent of a 8 and 15 year old Written byCosmo21 September 21, 2013

Yet another horrible Disney Channel show

Like many, if not most, Disney Channel programs, this one presents most adults as complete idiots. I also question the premise of this show. Jessie is supposed to be a nanny to several young children, yet considering her often irresponsible and childish behavior, she would be the last person I would hire as a nanny. The only adult regularly featured in this show is the butler, who is portrayed as a buffoon. The Disney Channel seems intent on teaching children to have nothing but disrespect (and in some cases, contempt) for not only their parents but adults in general. I think Walt would be rolling over in his grave.
Kid, 10 years old July 30, 2013

Hmmm........No!

I stopped watching Jessie the minute I saw it. It is racist, stereotypical, has bad acting, cheesy jokes, annoying attitude from the kids. And so many other things that are wrong. The thing that bothers me the most is Zuri. She gets whatever she wants, can do whatever she wants and not get in trouble. She's just an annoying little brat that can do whatever she wants. She is also the worst actor on Jessie. Another is Emma. She is also the worst one. She goes around making fun of people because of their looks. She also gets whatever she wants and can say whatever she wants to the adults. And Luke. He is hitting on an 18 year old. Are you serious? He also make jokes to Jessie that should not be mentioned to kids. The worst part is kids think it's funny. And Ravi. I actually feel bad for Ravi. They make jokes of his culture and where he comes from! Even though it's a show he is actually Indian in real life. (I'm saying this to the script writer) How do you think Ravi feels in real life. If I was him I would go to a different show because I wouldn't want to be made fun of because of my culture! But he also has a cheap Indian accent and is a bad actor. And last, I know it's not the actors fault about what they say. It's the writers fault. The writer needs to stop writing scripts for kids and maybe try a grown-up show.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byCargo March 26, 2013

Poor Choice...

I immediately forbid my daughter from watching this show when I saw a teen boy lean in to kiss the main character, Jessie, and she pulled away. He said "You know you want it". Absolutely not the message I want my 9 year old getting about respect from boys as she grows older. We changed the channel after I saw that and I've never seen another minute of it.
Educator and Parent Written byeducatork6 December 29, 2012

I think this show caters to consumerism. Most children who watch this show do not live in Jessie's socio-economic status. There's too much on what you wear, who's cool, and etc. There aren't any bad words, but the slangs are sometimes adult-like ("keep your hands above the equator"). Yes kids might not know what this means, but Disney needs to remember that kids watch this and there's no reason to add comedy for adults...we can watch other stuff. Let us think of the kids in the script!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byprincesschercher March 19, 2012

is jessie inappropiate

i think it is some what inappropiate for some kids 1: they talk about bra stuffing 2:luke ask jessie if she wants to find his off button 3:in one episode jessie wears a dress that is wayyy to short for her ( it stopped to her thighs) in front of a little boy 4:the kids are too spoiled and ungrateful 5:no kid zuri 's age should have a cell phone