All member reviews for Jessie

Funny, family oriented series has some stereotyping.

Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 11 year old Written byAnEpicGuy December 3, 2012

Review says it all

This has nothing good in it. BANNED like MOST Disney shows.
Parent Written byMikeAB December 1, 2012

Sad circumstances

This program does not show the children in a good light and Debby Ryan is an intelligent woman in real life but on the show she is made to look completely stupid and not teaching any good values at all. My daughter sometimes watches this show and I really don’t say no to her, but when I watch it I am in awe on how totally invaluable the messages they provide are. Disney is a family network and company and they should be ashamed at themselves to allow there company provides a show like this to so many children and young adults in this matter. The other problem with this program is that the parents are never around and for being a family show this is a horror. The children do not learn a single thing from their parents which is sad and very disturbing. The writers and producers of this show and others within this channel better start growing a brain and learn from the massive mistakes they have created with the vast majority of the shows they currently have on, sadly I will start to tell my daughter to stop watching the Disney channel because the inept responsibilities of teaching good values they are currently not showing.
Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written byMommaMichelle September 29, 2012

Absolutely NOT!

This show is absolutely TERRIBLE. My twin daughters wanted to watch it, so I watched the first episode to see if it was appropriate. But there is alot of innapropriate references. I'm not one of those Mom's who bans every single show. I let my daughters watch Disney Channel, but I don't like them watching this show AT ALL. It's banned from our house. The character that gets me disgusted, is Luke. He is always flirting with the nanny in an innapropriate manner. I also do not like the episode where Jessie and Tony are at a prom at their apartment. While Tony is putting a flower on her dress, and his hands have to be near her breast to do it. But then Zuri says: "I don't want any dwaddling fingers!" This is ridiculous! There is also way too much use of the word "constipated"! DO not reccomend.
Parent Written byParentlove October 2, 2011

Possibly Changing My Mind...A Great New Sitcom Appropriate for the Entire Family

I read over this review I wrote at the start of the Jessie series and the recent episodes have me changing my mind. One thing I loved about Jessie was that she was that cool, beautiful, mentor/ older sister that every kid loves to have while simultaneously seeing Ryan's brilliant comedic timing. I am however, becoming increasingly concerned by the level of disrespect that the kids are beginning to show to Jessie. I know that it's just a tv show, but kids are influenced by what they watch. It's the main reason why this site is so popular. I was very happy to point to both Debby Ryan and Jessie as a role model to my kids. Ryan seems to still be a great role model and has had no controversy while merging into adulthood. The sitcom seems to be steering away from this with increasing amount of insults to Jessie, one of the few decent adults on the Disney channel. This is an easy go to for comedy writers, but cheap shots at adults is not the reason I supported Jessie. I am a little concerned by the season 3 announcement where the executive said that they will focus on the kids and Debby's comedic stylings as the kids run Jessie around. I hope and pray that they do not take the one show where the kids can have that beautiful guardian angel in Jessie and turn it into the tired go to story where the adult is inconsequential factor in the show. Does anyone know how you write the Disney channel about something like this? Below was my initial review. The show is clean and fun for our entire family. The show has the potential to raise relevant issues for family discussions while still being really entertaining, even for adults. Debby Ryan is able to balance her comedic timing with a refreshing and tangible warmth. The kids are all funny! This is our new family favorite.
Educator and Parent Written byunderwaterlion82 March 10, 2014

Kangaroos reside in the outback

This show reminded me that its ok to love. I never felt so warm while still feeling so cold. Its like a snuggy in the dead of winter. No other television experience is quite like this. I have never before felt like i was on the wings of an eagle while watching a show. Sweet jesus give me more. -Love me
Teen, 13 years old Written byEyanTywan November 12, 2011

Hey Jessie! You just got cancelled!

Positives: Replacement Negatives: 6 yr old stereotypical girl knows about: Bras , How kids are made , violent (for her age) imagination , just plain dumb Replacement of good shows Useless lizard Cheap Humor ( VERY CHEAP) Bad Acting Good if your 7
Kid, 11 years old November 9, 2011

an ok show mainly for 7yrs and up

an ok show mainly for 7 yrs and up. Debbie Ryan is better in Jessie than suite life. but there are some innapropiate parts in this show like the kids parents kiss all the time. and Luke hitting on Jessie when Debbie is annoyed. i think Zuri is a little bit innapropiate like when she says to an adult said that they had a visus rodet in the hotel and Zuri says "Why not you like here" and when she says You don't wanna know what she did to my build a bamboo now he'll never have kids!" and when she says "she dosen't know it's a bra" Zuri is just disrespectful. i don't have a problem when any of the other characters. but this show is ok but it should be rated Y7
Kid, 10 years old July 30, 2013

Hmmm........No!

I stopped watching Jessie the minute I saw it. It is racist, stereotypical, has bad acting, cheesy jokes, annoying attitude from the kids. And so many other things that are wrong. The thing that bothers me the most is Zuri. She gets whatever she wants, can do whatever she wants and not get in trouble. She's just an annoying little brat that can do whatever she wants. She is also the worst actor on Jessie. Another is Emma. She is also the worst one. She goes around making fun of people because of their looks. She also gets whatever she wants and can say whatever she wants to the adults. And Luke. He is hitting on an 18 year old. Are you serious? He also make jokes to Jessie that should not be mentioned to kids. The worst part is kids think it's funny. And Ravi. I actually feel bad for Ravi. They make jokes of his culture and where he comes from! Even though it's a show he is actually Indian in real life. (I'm saying this to the script writer) How do you think Ravi feels in real life. If I was him I would go to a different show because I wouldn't want to be made fun of because of my culture! But he also has a cheap Indian accent and is a bad actor. And last, I know it's not the actors fault about what they say. It's the writers fault. The writer needs to stop writing scripts for kids and maybe try a grown-up show.
Kid, 11 years old June 18, 2013

Why, Disney, WHY?!

How can this show be on for kids 7 and older? I don't think so! First, let's start of talking about ALL the characters...where do I start...Jessie. Jessie is an 18-year-old who moved to New York to "live her dreams" and then got kicked out of the cab because she could pay. Then...BAM! Zuri finds her and Jessie becomes and nanny. Just like that. That doesn't happen in reality. Jessie tells these stories about her relationships and hometown, but they don't make sense and are so boring...like, she brings them up at the most awkward moments. And she think that just because she works for a rich family, means that she is "rich" as well. Like, what the heck?! Let's move on to EMMA. Ugh, Emma. She is waaaay too obsessed with fashion, beauty, and popular. She is rude to Jessie and is just....annoying and....RUDE! I mean, I don't even know what to say about her anymore! Okay, Luke. Nasty, rude, inappropriate Luke. WHY is a 13 year old obsessed with a 19 year old NANNY?! He says the most inappropriate things that 7 year olds wouldn't understand; poor little kids. He has toned it down recently, but he thinks he's above everyone. AND he has really poor hygiene! How does that set an example for children? Ravi. Wow, for the newest adopted child of the Ross family he has a mouth! I mean, he is rude to Jessie and sometimes his other siblings! He's obsessed with Mrs. Kipling, this stupid, looks-fake-but-is-not water monitor lizard (WHY does that have to be in the show?!) Ravi is just horrible and he talks about gods waaaay too much. Why is this show using religion? And Zuri. Zuri thinks because she is so cute, she can get whatever she wants, that little diva. She is such a spoiled brat, althought she is the Ross child most loyal to Jessie (once in a blue moon). Bertram, the butler, is lazy and hates kids. My younger brother is starting to copy him when Bertram says, "It's too far," when the thing he needs to get in an inch away from him. What a role model! (Note the sarcasm.) The kids are so rude to the adults on the show, and the writers think that makes the show FUNNY! WOW! The kids treat Jessie and Bertram like servants, and so do the Ross kids' parents. That's just horrible. It also seems like the writers are OBSESSED with bras. I ALWAYS hear about bras on that show! Really, really, nice. I am sick of this show and what it teaches innocent children. I only like how determined Jessie can be and sometimes the anti-bullying messages. "Jessie" is so pointless; I guess Disney is running out of ideas! I have an idea: PLEASE cancel this show.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byCvJ82 April 12, 2013

OMG, JUST DONT!

The actress that plays that Jesse girl is WAY TOO OLD for this channel. There are so many stereotypes on this show...so much RACISM. It's disgusting to watch. My son is FORBIDDEN to watch this show.
Teen, 13 years old Written byChickable2 February 11, 2012

Disney's Dark Side

Jessie should be in college, NOT a nanny. Zuri is basically a sassy child, who gets what she wants. Luke, why the heck is he flirting with Jessie. Emma, is a future Anorexic. Ravi, well he's really not doing anything. But do you have to put stilettos and a dress above the knees on a 13 year old?! The kids are always into trouble. Again Zuri , a sassy girl who can't keep her sassy mouth shut, and demands everything! What happened to you Disney, now you make the worst of even the cutest things!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byauggie123 January 21, 2012

End the Show ASAP

Disney should not renew this show for another season. Worst Disney show ever!
Parent Written bytoningup October 16, 2011

Gets old fast

I dont like the concept, or the characters. Kids misbehave in dumb ways talk back and dont show anything positive. Whats up with the lizard? they are milking it too much and not funny. I love debby but disney gave her a fail. Its like a single mom with baggage... the big guy butler is the only one that makes me laugh.
Parent of a 8 and 15 year old Written byCosmo21 September 21, 2013

Yet another horrible Disney Channel show

Like many, if not most, Disney Channel programs, this one presents most adults as complete idiots. I also question the premise of this show. Jessie is supposed to be a nanny to several young children, yet considering her often irresponsible and childish behavior, she would be the last person I would hire as a nanny. The only adult regularly featured in this show is the butler, who is portrayed as a buffoon. The Disney Channel seems intent on teaching children to have nothing but disrespect (and in some cases, contempt) for not only their parents but adults in general. I think Walt would be rolling over in his grave.
Educator and Parent Written byeducatork6 December 29, 2012

I think this show caters to consumerism. Most children who watch this show do not live in Jessie's socio-economic status. There's too much on what you wear, who's cool, and etc. There aren't any bad words, but the slangs are sometimes adult-like ("keep your hands above the equator"). Yes kids might not know what this means, but Disney needs to remember that kids watch this and there's no reason to add comedy for adults...we can watch other stuff. Let us think of the kids in the script!!!
Adult Written bystoryfan09 July 19, 2012

about all disney shows, even jessie

I think "Jessie" is an okay show, sure it has a lot of bad messages in the show, but kids needs to learn this at a young age, yes, they'll learn this around sixth grade (I did) but, for god's sake, yes, Ravi is stereotypical, but frankly, it's teaching kids about a different culture. Yes, the kids are rude, but it doesn't mean you should let YOUR kids take on the attitude simple solution. So, stop bagging on a show, simple solution there. Don't like it. Don't watch it. Kids like it, let them explore new horizons. Just don't let them take on the attitudes the kids on the show let off. If you do, bad parenting right there.
Parent Written byMattmckee1 March 7, 2012

Good show for all ages for different reasons

This show is obviously for all ages the younger end will like it for the crazy antics that are in it and the inappropriate things will pass over their heads. The older crowed will enjoy the somewhat more grown up things about the show as it takes a bit of thinking to catch on. As for the bra comments, there is nothing wrong or sexual about a bra. It is simply a piece of clothing that all girls wear at young ages. What do you think a swimsuit top is anyway? Nothing wrong with that. As for Luke's attempts to "get with" Jessie, they are shot down by her immeaditly every time. If you pay attention you also see that the kids may sometimes be bratty on the show, they still all care deeply for each other. It's a good funny show and the parents who see only the bad things need to open up their minds or blame themselves for letting their kids watch something they don't like and not mess it up for those of us who like the show.
Kid, 12 years old January 16, 2012

NOT for kids!!

Me and my younger sister went to watch Jessie but I just cringed while watching it! Things like "go kick some astroid"?! I mean is that really what Disney wants to be teaching people? I am twelve and find the jokes completely inappropriate! The boy Luke centered his whole world on girls and I find the most inappropriate. Emma says that "Tiger Beat is my roadmap to womanhood!" amd talks about bra stuffing! That is appaling! I am absolutely mortifyed that kids are actually watching things like this! This show is a definate NOT!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 November 28, 2011

LOTS of hidden jokes...

I personally find this show funny. Some parts are corny, but kids find it entertaining and love to see people falling down. I LOVE Zuri. She's got such a little 'tude! Zuri: I bet they didn't have playgrounds when YOU were a kid. Mean old rich lady: I'm only 28! Zuri: Maybe in dog years... :) hahahaha. The whole "mini dinosaur as a pet" thing I find unnecessary, but little kids like seeing an animal other than a dog or cat, something from another continent, but Ravi "sat on him as an egg"? Oh my gosh shoot me now. I hate Emma. Oh my word, if she went to school with me, me and my friends would hate her snotty rich girl guts. She's a smart-alec, and is a PRISS!! She is disrespectful, and answers to no one but herself. This is why kids nowadays are snott-nosed brats. Think they can disrespect their elders, and just be brats because Emma does it. If she was a real person, and not a character, and went to my school, well, let's just say we...wouldn't get along... Or I'd have to refrain from ripping her preppy brat blond hair out. All she reads is teen magazines? Oh gosh that means she probably likes Justin Bieber and Twilight. Excuse me while I vomit. And the "Jessie being from Texas" thing. Oh my word, that ticks me OFF! They're making her sound like she lived in a trailer and ate roadkill! What on earth? But I have never seen as many hidden sex jokes in a kids' show. Such as this. Emma: If Tony touches you from wrist to fingertips it means you're about to hold hands, then you're in the romance zone! Jessie: As long as he doesn't touch my "N Zone". And this: Jessie: And where did you come from, sweetie? Zuri: Mom and Dad say the stork, but the 7th graders have another idea. I started laughing so hard then! I don't think the targeted audience will understand this, so it's not a big deal. They don't get a lot of things, and that's the beauty of being a kid! Carefree, not worrying about what they don't understand, not control-hungry like adults. This incognito little element will keep parents from ripping their hair out after watching too much Dora. If your kid doesn't understand it THEN WHY DOES IT MATTER IF THEY SEE IT?!
Teen, 14 years old Written byrebma97 September 28, 2011

Some adult humor slipped in

This show is pretty predictable, but I enjoy it slightly more than the average Disney Channel series. Jessie is a mostly good role model who tries to teach the kids good morals. Sex: Besides flirting, there's also some humor targeted at older kids; in one episode, a girl talks about how a magazine talks about stuffing bras. She asks Jessie what she thought was good to stuff in your bra, and Jessie answers her question. Language; Some insults; no cursing, except in the first episode Jessie said, "Go kick some asteroid!" Hopefully, any adult humor will go over kids' heads.