So-so comedy offers tweens some worthwhile messages.

Adult Written bylc1967 November 22, 2011

Its a pass

The show does have some positive themes, particularly loyalty. But there's doesn't need to be so much innuendo. I was particularly upset when someone mentioned wet T-shirt contents being the best part of Spring Break. Of course, my pre-teen asked me what that was.
Kid, 11 years old June 18, 2011

Karate Students Can Relate

Ok, so I'm the first one to post my review for "Kickin' It." It's a very funny show about teens who go to karate. My brother and I both love this show and it's kinda a coincidence that my brother and I started taking karate around the time the show premiered. I recommend this show to 5+ because it's kinda educational because they show people doing karate and the only posistive role model is Jack and there are positive messages.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written bycrizeliz September 14, 2013

More characters with no redeeming value, courtesy of Disney.

More preteen rubbish from Disney. Like most of the programs of this genre, this program portrays absurd and unhealthy relationships between male and female characters. In the episode tonight the leading female was portrayed as a materialistic bimbo impressed by status and a free meal. The male character spoke down to her and referred to her as "woman". Reading my review does not convey the belittling tone. I changed the channel as my 7 year old was watching. I don't need my kids growing up believing that even in humor, men and women treat each other so disrespectfully. Children are easily influenced by the media and shows like this. It's time for my family to put a block on Disney Channel. We grew out of Disney Junior and found ourselves looking at a programming lineup of mind numbing sexist, bullying, awful, rubbish.
Kid, 9 years old July 6, 2011

DISNEY IS INNOCENT!!! :)

:) I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! Its funny! But, the launguge, isnt very great for little(er) ones. Ex. brat, butt, jerk,etc. But, for kids that can handle these words properly, this is the show for you!!!!!!!
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 2, 2012

Kickin it

good karate show, unlike to be on disney xd.
Educator and Parent Written byPointy-a-parent December 17, 2013

For skeptical parents, both with positive and negative points

Hi Families, It's me Pointy, that's my pen name. Here's my point review: 1) Why, if you should, let your kids watch this? Answer: It is a dumb TV show, but it is a good one. I made a list (which you could do if you're that skeptical) of which episodes were the dumbest and which weren't. It's one of those shows you let your child watch only every once in a while. And the reason why they should watch it. It test character and friendship. But kind of in a cheesy way. (I know my review sounds very unorganized.) 2) What language does it have? Nothing bad since it's for preteens. Mostly modern words like: Butt, jerk, freak, sexy and poser. I would never let my child use these words, but they are so spread out and faintly said that a preteen wouldn't notice them. let alone a ten-year-old. 3) What sexy stuff? Well the original review talks only about the first season, I have watched all three seasons. (Oh and a fourth is coming out). They sexy stuff is mild teen crushes and dating. I personally don't think you should date at age fifteen or sixteen, but that's only my preference. There are four kisses in the whole series. Kim kisses Milton accidentally, Kim kisses Milton to release a spirit, Jack and Kim almost kiss, and Jack and Kim are told to kiss for a movie, but end up not doing it. Jack and Kim start dating. All of these are mild, though with a critical eye as a parent I don't like the fact that there is any of this. 4) What violence does it have? Well none really, I just put that one up so parents would know this: Martial arts are used, but in a slap stick way. No body bleeds and no gore is in this. The characters always recover quickly. Now that I've told you all the negative things about Kickin' it, here's the good parts. Jack through the whole series is a great role model, all of them are, but mainly Jack and Kim. Anyways through the series his character is kind of downed, meaning he slowly is turning into a more funny character rather than a role model. Another good thing is each episode has a theme, usually one to two stories (it's usually two to three stories intertwined) tell about good friendship, loyalty, forgiving, peer pressure, set your goals high, seeing the real person, etc. though each episode has at least one story that is for comic relief, and even though a lot of the slap stick comic is dumb you still need to laugh people, so don't say the comedy it bad. Anyways. this is a good series, my favorite characters are Jack and Kim, I do not condone dating at a young age, but the two of them were made for each other and I like the fact that they talk about equality in one episode. So for smart parents who have the time. Watch the episodes and make a list of which are good, which are dumb and which are okay. I will promise you, the dumb section will be fuller than the good section, it's just the way it is. Oh and Disney channel, yes they are going down in morally good shows, but Kickin' it is pretty good. For more reviews like this one, just look for my name at the top or bottom on the review for a movie or book or TV show. ~Pointy, a parent
Teen, 15 years old Written byilikepie367 August 4, 2014

So Bad

It's unrealistic, stupid, and teaches kids that violence is always the answer. Every show ends with a huge fight. Ever heard of talking it out? Plus, no teenager could ever actually beat up 50 ninjas like that, so it makes no sense.
Parent Written byibsteingold July 5, 2015

liked it until I paid attention

Thought it was a cute show until I heard things like one of the male characters saying to himself "please don't scream like a girl" over and over also in another episode they were making fun of a group of boys that had on matching outfits calling them cheerleaders. I don't see it as a positive for my son or daughters to be watching a show where females are degraded because they aren't boys
Parent of a 2 and 8 year old Written byAlamedaParent November 20, 2013

One of the least-awful Disney XD programs

Kickin' It is one (somewhat) bright spot in the otherwise vapid, awful Disney XD lineup. The show can be genuinely funny, the characters are warm and supportive (if a bit cartoonish at times), and the values of teamwork, perseverance, and even empathy are often woven into the storylines. And mercifully, the female lead for once isn't the Sassy Princess of Shoppingville. While she's obviously been cast by Disney's Next Big Thing Dept. (all the girl leads in the XD shows have exactly the same face, it's really remarkable), she acts, speaks, and dresses like a normal 12-year-old might. Moreover, she's also one of the martial artists, so she doesn't strand in the corner shrieking and applying mascara as the boys take care of the conflicts. She's assertive, she's confident, she's kind—she's as good a female role model as you'll find on this network. The show does have some violent martial arts content. The intensity of the martial arts can be a jarring contrast to the overall goofiness of the show, but it's well done. The conflicts usually occur within the context of a competition, and if not, they're usually in a brief, low-contact confrontation with a cartoonish foe. Plus, a few of the kids are exceptional martial artists, so the scenes can be quite entertaining. There's a warmth and positive wholesomeness to this show that's unique among the loud, crass XD offerings. While it does have the usual faults (the dumb jock and nerd stereotypes, some violence, the occasional inappropriate joke or double entendre), it can also be fun, funny, and enriching. It's worth watching.
Parent of a 4 and 12 year old Written bybowlerskates July 26, 2016

Stereotypes and Sexism

This is just a quick warning. Please watch a few episodes of this show before letting your child watch, especially if your child is a girl. The gags are so fast and the laugh track so omnipresent that it's hard at first to detect how offensive this show is, but that's what makes it all the more insidious.
Kid, 11 years old November 4, 2014

good

It is really funny. But there is one character that is a little bit inappropriate because he talks about girls too much. There is one felafel guy who is from the Middle East and he's really funny because he's very un-culturally smart but that makes it racist.
Kid, 10 years old September 1, 2014

I've Lost Interest

The show was good until the fourth season. Sure, the acting's getting better, but the characters are obviously changing. In my eyes, Jack's just some popular jock, Jerry's evolved into a third wheel, and Milton is getting boring. I think the only good thing about the show is Rudy. I really miss the older episodes. The one with THE WHOLE CAST in it. I don't know, it's just a disappointment now. It used to be rated almost FIVE stars, now it's at THREE. It WAS good.
Kid, 10 years old May 4, 2014

Boring

I love disney channel. I hate disney XD. Now on Saturdays they stupidly put Disney XD on Disney channel. So I would just watch it because it was like 8:00 at night and there wasn't rlly anything better on. Then Kickin it came on and I couldn't even understand it, there was this girl who apperently was crazy and tried 2 force guys into marrying people, then everyone else was trying 2 stop her or something by doing karate. I couldn't last 2 minutes without getting bored.
Kid, 10 years old June 29, 2013

know your kid!!!

This show is a know your kids situation.The language is very moderate (i.e. jerk ,sexy,stupid etc.) Though it is a Martial Arts show(karate) its obviously staged and for play, so violence is nothing of concern.Jack is the main character and is a good roe model , to show kids that just because your friends do something does not mean you have to(peer pressure). So overall its a "know your kid situation".
Parent of a 2, 8, and 12 year old Written bycremepie998 September 2, 2012

Good Show

I like it. It is a karate show, so there is a tiny bit of violence but there is no bleeding or gory things. (Clicked on the violence button for picky moms & dads.) I let my kids watch it on TV and on Netflix and I've watched it too, there is nothing wrong with the show. It is clean and for kids 8 & up.
Kid, 11 years old October 16, 2011

Wouldn't recomend it

It does teach kids to like karate and to be active. Also teaches kids about good friendships but, it has language little kids shouldn't repeat. Like there was an epicode where a guy said his "sexy legs were a curce" so for older kids. A little violent too.
Kid, 12 years old September 12, 2011

its ok

i kinda like it... i just think the main charecter is cute
Teen, 13 years old Written byPhilosoraptor July 19, 2016

Great role models, but unrealistic plots and unnecessary violence

The first few seasons were the best, with the full cast and educational values. The 3rd and 4th seasons weren't as good, with 2 good characters removed and the show kind of just going down the tubes. Jack, Kim, and Rudy were the main role models, but with Kim gone, the show's educational and good role models don't show as much. While this show teaches the importance of self defense, it's not great for younger viewers as they will think that punching and kicking is okay when you don't get what you want. While it's great the characters stand up to bullies or villains using karate, your kid might end up doing this to a bully, and ending up in lots of trouble at school. Realistically, if people are being violent towards you, run and call the police. They'll take care of it, and you won't be arrested for physical assault. If you do want to watch this, only watch the first 2 seasons, and perhaps the 3rd, but not the 4th.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygrant12 September 6, 2015

very funny!

i watch this and another show in my spare time. realistic, and action and comedy based. love it
Kid, 6 years old July 8, 2015

kickin it review

it's the coolest show on television! there's cool karate in it.