Grisly, sensationalized crimes; not meant for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byccv23 April 28, 2011

Great show! but not made for kids

This is a very entertaining but disturbing show. I started watching it when i was 10 and i enjoyed it but sometimes i would turn off the tv because it was too scary haha. This show was definetly not made for kids but i think teens can handle it. Almost every episode has educated and trained people bringing criminals to justice so it has some good messages.
Parent Written bysperryking July 9, 2011

Parents relax its great show for mature teens 12+

The series is a way to show what really happens everyday and how justice is or isn't served in a rather entertaining and interesting way.the suspenseful series leaves you wanting to watch more and may inspire older kids to potentially work in that field of work.(kids should know that it takes hard work and a long time to become a detective and handle crimes like the actors o the show do, also inform them that they have their share in heavy paper work and there is much more to being a cop)alot of parents choose to smuggle there kids and not introduce them to things in the real world thinking that there protecting them. if your child is 12+ years old they should be allowed to watch this show because it helps kids understand how justice should be served and they should always inform the police about crimes. and for the people who think no one under 17 should watch you need to realize that kids can handle more than you think and there gonna learn these things either on the show or on the streets. 16 is ridiculously close to a young adult and should be exposed to these type of situations so they can understand how to handle it. i know a girl(age 16) who recently and intentionally had unprotected sex because she didnt know that she could get pregnant when she's not on her period.The result of a very overprotecive parent who tried to mold her daughter into the perfect child by not letting educating her about dangers, sex and its consequences if not 12, 14 year olds should be aloud to watch it i've been watching this since i was 11
Parent of a 11, 12, and 18+ year old Written byMarlon baker December 23, 2013

It depends on the child you have

My child loves this show and wants to be just like Olivia (one of the characters) when she grows up and she is 12 years old! I think it depends on the child you have if you think that your child isn't ready, in other words if you think that maybe it will send the wrong message, then just go with your gut. I started my child with other law and orders, because there are TONS out there, when I thought she was ready I let her watch the SUV, she LOVED it and still does! Her favorite part is finding out the Mysteries! I think it teaches problem solving skills. There are some positive role models in the addicting show but be careful if your kid is too young then it just might send a mixed message. Keep in mind that not all crime shows have rapes in them just pick the kind you want your kid to watch. The only language in the show are a few H's and D's if you know what I mean. There are a few scenes in the bar REMEMBER: teaches problem solving skills Has positive role models ( good guys: cops/bad guys) Of course it has violence! Has sex, rapes, kiddnaps, Ect but there are different law and orders on deferent channels Only "H" words and "D" words Be sure to tell your child that these crimes probably will happen but not to them even though it expanse that at the very beginning of every show
Teen, 16 years old Written bya1l2l3y4 August 29, 2013

great show

This is a really great show.for people that think that only older teens to watch this , kids know a lot more than we give them credit for.they need to get used to how the world is.
Kid, 12 years old August 4, 2011

Not a tween/teen show. Mature teens and adults only!

I hate the show, only because it is insanely scary for tweens! I like NCIS, so I decided to watch this. NOT a good idea. I was creeped out for a whole week! It is a good show, but definitly for older people.
Parent of a 1, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byJacobyShaddix32 December 15, 2009

really good show

One of the best shows out there
Adult Written bymrs.black09 September 27, 2009

Defiinitely not for young teens and younger

I had been watching the original Law and Order since I was eight or nine without issue, so my usually very cautious mother thought it would be okay for me to watch SVU starting when I was about thirteen. That was a big mistake - I was an innocent kid who didn't know much about consensual sex but I was seeing all this stuff about rape and molestation - and it kind of skewered my views on sex. It kind of messed me up for several years. My Mom could tell I was upset by it and made me stop watching it, and I'm glad she did. Now I watch it every now and then, but it is disturbing even now! Even the original Law and Order is getting darker and darker - rent the first few seasons of the good old original on DVD instead of watching on TV if you have kids or young teens.
Parent of a 2, 2, 3, 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byMarshall78 August 16, 2009

My Husband And I Love This Show!

I love this show. My husband and I record every eipsode and watch them after our kids go to bed. I started watching this the year it started. If I watch a certian eisode and don't think that its to bad my older kids might get to watch it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhewasacarrot19 September 17, 2016

An absolutely amazing show for teens

I'm 16 - and I've been watching the show for about a year. I am by far one of the most emotionally sensitive and attached tv viewers I've ever heard of, but this show means the absolute world to me. I can only watch about two or three tops a day before I need to kind of take a step back and watch something else, but that's absolutely fine with me! I would suggest doing a bit of research if you're sensitive about the season finales and season premiere's before you watch one, just to make sure you're prepared, but besides that I'd honestly really really highly suggest this series. Mariska Hargitay as the lead detective is one of the best role models for young people ever, showing that no matter what has happened in your life, you can do anything you put your mind to, and how to be a strong and loving person. The show itself is gorgeous, with by far the best writing for any show I have ever seen, and acting, it's just so enthralling. I've showed it to my brother and one of my friends, and both of them have gotten completely hooked. For teens, sadly, people don't really discuss these issues at all, especially in schools, so it's actually very educational and helpful because unfortunately these are very real issues going on in the world. It's really not gory hardly at all, more emotional. In earlier seasons, in the intro, they may show someone's reaction to finding a dead body, or part of a dead body, but in more recent seasons they don't even do that. They hardly show violence as well, really less than you would think. Occasionally the cops have to chase someone and then tackle them, but besides that all they show is sometimes, in the intro, someone walking around before they get attacked or assaulted, and then the team comes back in after. Not much swearing, sometimes they use anatomy words but I would hope everyone is comfortable with that, haha. This show will really teach you empathy too, and make you never be a bystander again. It'll make you want to help people, and I think that's pretty amazing. HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND FOR TEENS!
Teen, 15 years old Written byaidan2447 September 11, 2016

Addicting-but not for young teens!

Once I started watching this show, I couldn't stop. I have finished a season in 3 days. While it's a great show, there are some drawbacks; not about the show itself, but the ideas it puts in young teens' heads. After watching this, I became more wary of men, walking alone by myself, wearing revealing clothes, etc. I have gotten over it, remembering that this is pure fiction and not based on any specific case, but there is a chance any of this can happen. If you do watch, do not binge watch as I have learned. Stretch it out, do not overwhelm yourself with this show.
Adult Written byVictor L. September 4, 2016

Good at opening up conversations with older kids

While the violence and disturbing crimes may be a bit much for non teens, this show is a good way to educate older kids without the awkward "UGHHH do we HAVE to talk about this?" In my opinion, I think parents are also at risk from this show, becoming overprotective is easy after seeing some of the scumbag characters.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySVU for life August 28, 2016

Fantastic show

I started watching this at 14 and I thought i would be very scared because I can't handle this stuff very well. None of the blood or crimes scared me that much except for one episode where a woman was completely dismembered and they were trying to find all the missing body parts. It made me become more aware of the people im around. Also there are very strong performances by the cast. It has become my favorite show. If these crimes scare you I don't recommend for young children. They only talk about sex but never show it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bykellie_116 August 9, 2016

Important Message for Teenagers

Obviously, a show about sexual violence has a lot of, well, sex and violence. But SVU is a great show with an important message. Leading lady Lt. Olivia Benson is a strong role model who never gives up and always fights for justice. She also proved that it is, in fact, possible to work full-time and be a single mom! Even more importantly, SVU shows viewers that justice is possible for victims of sexual assault and that you can overcome an attack like this. Because I watch SVU, I know what to do if I'm ever sexually assaulted. I know that men can be raped. And I know that it is never, ever the victim's fault. I started watching this show with my mom right after my 14th birthday. I think it's probably okay for 14 year olds to watch with a parent, but I definitely think kids should watch with an adult for their first several episodes.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMharvey454 February 5, 2016

Educational and Interesting

I have been watching SVU for almost a year, and while I haven't watched every single episode, I can safely say that this is one of my favorite shows. I mark my calendar every week just to make sure that I never miss a single episode. This show is intriguing, mysterious, and educational. It shows the harsh reality, and most of the main characters are very likeable. Olivia Benson is a great strong female lead. She is fearless and incredibly intelligent. Fin is funny and not afraid to slam a criminal and say a joke along the way. Overall I would highly recommend this show to mature viewers who are willing to see how detectives fight crime.
Adult Written by☯jamie☯ November 1, 2015

Great show! Helped me mature and learn about real life!

I've been watching this show since I was 12, and although the grisly nature of the crimes in this show(rape, murder, domestic violence) may seem inappropriate, it taught me a lot. Unlike the other hormonal teenagers I was around, I didn't make or laugh at rape jokes in school, and actually wanted to listen when people came forward with their stories. This show actually inspired me to go into criminal justice. And oh, by the way, this show has an EXCELLENT role model. Her name is Olivia Benson, and she is byfar one of the greatest female characters on TV. She inspires young and old all the same with her wit, perseverance,and her charming independence. It depends on what you allow in your household. But for growing tweens and teens who are poorly educated or embarrassed to ask about the risks in an increasingly creepy society, this show is knowledge and power. I definitely recommend!
Adult Written byclarence August 4, 2015
Adult Written bynevemac July 20, 2015
I have watched SVU for as long as I can remember but it is definitely not appropriate for children under 16. Obviously there is a lot of sexual themes (rape, sexual assault, etc.) and violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhollygburns June 18, 2015

Awesome!

The show is great! I love it! I think it is a great show, but could be to much for some people!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMgrace1 May 8, 2015

Good Show

I grew up watching this show, so I was probably 7 when I started yes I got scared, heck I was always scared to watch these shows, Now like 5 years later I am hooked on Crime Shows. Family has been watching this show for 16 years, My family got me hooked on them. If your children are mature enough then, go ahead let them watch it. Keep them coming coming.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byjordynannee February 21, 2015
I've watched Law and Order SVU eversense I was 10 with the supervision of my mother and father.There is a lot of violence with children,so some kids could think it could happen to them.I stopped watching till I was 11 because one of the episodes scared me a little,I was also watching it at night so it didn't make it better.I still don't watch it at night unless I'm with my parents.