All member reviews for Law & Order: SVU

Grisly, sensationalized crimes; not meant for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byccv23 April 28, 2011

Great show! but not made for kids

This is a very entertaining but disturbing show. I started watching it when i was 10 and i enjoyed it but sometimes i would turn off the tv because it was too scary haha. This show was definetly not made for kids but i think teens can handle it. Almost every episode has educated and trained people bringing criminals to justice so it has some good messages.
Parent of a 11, 12, and 18 year old Written byMarlon baker December 23, 2013

It depends on the child you have

My child loves this show and wants to be just like Olivia (one of the characters) when she grows up and she is 12 years old! I think it depends on the child you have if you think that your child isn't ready, in other words if you think that maybe it will send the wrong message, then just go with your gut. I started my child with other law and orders, because there are TONS out there, when I thought she was ready I let her watch the SUV, she LOVED it and still does! Her favorite part is finding out the Mysteries! I think it teaches problem solving skills. There are some positive role models in the addicting show but be careful if your kid is too young then it just might send a mixed message. Keep in mind that not all crime shows have rapes in them just pick the kind you want your kid to watch. The only language in the show are a few H's and D's if you know what I mean. There are a few scenes in the bar REMEMBER: teaches problem solving skills Has positive role models ( good guys: cops/bad guys) Of course it has violence! Has sex, rapes, kiddnaps, Ect but there are different law and orders on deferent channels Only "H" words and "D" words Be sure to tell your child that these crimes probably will happen but not to them even though it expanse that at the very beginning of every show
Parent Written bysperryking July 9, 2011

Parents relax its great show for mature teens 12+

The series is a way to show what really happens everyday and how justice is or isn't served in a rather entertaining and interesting way.the suspenseful series leaves you wanting to watch more and may inspire older kids to potentially work in that field of work.(kids should know that it takes hard work and a long time to become a detective and handle crimes like the actors o the show do, also inform them that they have their share in heavy paper work and there is much more to being a cop)alot of parents choose to smuggle there kids and not introduce them to things in the real world thinking that there protecting them. if your child is 12+ years old they should be allowed to watch this show because it helps kids understand how justice should be served and they should always inform the police about crimes. and for the people who think no one under 17 should watch you need to realize that kids can handle more than you think and there gonna learn these things either on the show or on the streets. 16 is ridiculously close to a young adult and should be exposed to these type of situations so they can understand how to handle it. i know a girl(age 16) who recently and intentionally had unprotected sex because she didnt know that she could get pregnant when she's not on her period.The result of a very overprotecive parent who tried to mold her daughter into the perfect child by not letting educating her about dangers, sex and its consequences if not 12, 14 year olds should be aloud to watch it i've been watching this since i was 11
Teen, 13 years old Written byPEMDAS November 7, 2010

Not at all good for younger kids, but mfine for middle aged teens

I think the age for this show is way to high. The violence and swearing isn't more often than any other crime show. There is a lot more sex, but it's usually more talk about sex, rather than graphic scenes. I think Law and Order SVU is okay for anyone 14 or older, but I have been watching it since I was ten.
Parent of a 1, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byJacobyShaddix32 December 15, 2009

really good show

One of the best shows out there
Adult Written bymrs.black09 September 27, 2009

Defiinitely not for young teens and younger

I had been watching the original Law and Order since I was eight or nine without issue, so my usually very cautious mother thought it would be okay for me to watch SVU starting when I was about thirteen. That was a big mistake - I was an innocent kid who didn't know much about consensual sex but I was seeing all this stuff about rape and molestation - and it kind of skewered my views on sex. It kind of messed me up for several years. My Mom could tell I was upset by it and made me stop watching it, and I'm glad she did. Now I watch it every now and then, but it is disturbing even now! Even the original Law and Order is getting darker and darker - rent the first few seasons of the good old original on DVD instead of watching on TV if you have kids or young teens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMgrace1 May 8, 2015

Good Show

I grew up watching this show, so I was probably 7 when I started yes I got scared, heck I was always scared to watch these shows, Now like 5 years later I am hooked on Crime Shows. Family has been watching this show for 16 years, My family got me hooked on them. If your children are mature enough then, go ahead let them watch it. Keep them coming coming.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byjordynannee February 21, 2015

I've watched Law and Order SVU eversense I was 10 with the supervision of my mother and father.There is a lot of violence with children,so some kids could think it could happen to them.I stopped watching till I was 11 because one of the episodes scared me a little,I was also watching it at night so it didn't make it better.I still don't watch it at night unless I'm with my parents.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanimateddisneyfan December 14, 2014

killer show!

I really like this show! But it's definitely has scenes in the show that are graphic like in the beginning of this one episode you do see a lady with her foot cut off. But really it is a good show and it's a great show for people who want to do this job when their older. :)
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 November 20, 2014

Intelligent Crime Show.

This is an intelligent crime show, because, they solve cases that have to do with topics including abuse/sexual assault and i'm very educated in those field of psychology.
Kid, 12 years old May 20, 2014

Okay for 11+ with an adult

Violence 8/10: Every crimes involve a violent act with blood and sometimes realistic cut in people. Language 4/10: a*s, hell, damn, b*tch. Only said during interrorgations. Sex 8/10: Crimes include rape, torture, and sex. Positive messages 9/10: This show is based on true crimes that happened in NY. Olivia and Elliot are uncovering dark and gruesome secrets about crimes
Parent Written byGogolucke54 May 17, 2014

Amazing!

Quality for any age. All kids will enjoy this thought-provoking show.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybgreenfield22 April 29, 2014

Law and Order

This show is not super violent but it has lots of violent rape/incest. I watched this show a few times but it just scared me to think about the things going on in the show.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLinz500 February 9, 2014

SVU

Really good show!
Teen, 16 years old Written bya1l2l3y4 August 29, 2013

great show

This is a really great show.for people that think that only older teens to watch this , kids know a lot more than we give them credit for.they need to get used to how the world is.
Parent Written byAren_seaweed August 24, 2013

Careful but good

This is definitely a case of knowing your kid. While the messages of SVU - the good guys usually win and criminals are normally caught - is a wonderful one, the subject matter is gritty and rather disturbing. This has made me cringe as an adult woman, so teens may find it even more disturbing. Simply make sure you understand if your child will be disturbed or will be able to glean the positive messages that this show is full of.
Teen, 16 years old Written byscarlett_elisabeth August 6, 2013

Not for kids

the tv show is 14+ for a good reason, anybody under the age of 13 should not be watching this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThinker47 June 17, 2013

Good, but lots of sexual crimes

Parents should know there are a lot of rapes, sexually themed murders, and molest crimes in this show. There is also more violence and grittiness than in the original LAO.
Adult Written bytinycats May 25, 2013

You don't want to traumatize your kids...

Law & Order: SVU opens peoples eyes to the ugliness in the world(rape, murder, traffiking, etc.) but also the good (people who dedicate their lives to helping others, standing up to the criminals, etc). I started watching this show when I was around 14. Some parts are very scary because of how true-to-life these situations can be. I think that kids should wait until they are around 15 because it's scary and it could cause nightmares. It creeped me out when I started watching, I didn't feel safe sleeping with my windows open anymore. Some of the episodes show the crime in progress; that's usually the scariest part. When the detectives arrive, the crime scenes can be gruesome and bloody. There is violence in it because it is a crime show, but it does NOT in any way encourage violence. Some of the criminals say creepy things. I think this show can be educational because the crimes -- as odd and scary as they can be -- are realistic. It can teach kids that they need to be careful and will probably keep them from wanting to sneak out at night or do drugs since date rape is a topic on some of the episodes. Also Olivia Benson is a great role model.
Teen, 13 years old Written byelizalee814 April 20, 2013

Brilliant show with positive role models and messages!

I started watching this this year and I have to say I think it's my favorite show and I mean that! Christopher Meloni does a genius job portraying Elliot Stabler and everyone else does an amazing job as well! Although at times it can be a bit rough to watch I think it sends a good message to people and really brings awareness to stuff that's happening today! If you think that a 13 year old doesn't know what rape is then your wrong because most thirteen year olds do. Besides it's not like it's a show about people just having sex, it's about rape and other crimes like it. There is a teeny bit of violence sometimes but it's not too bad. Other than that it's got a lot of good role models and positive messages! They usually don't even show the rape they just show someone finding the victim in the beginning.