All member reviews for Law & Order: SVU

Teen, 15 years old Written byccv23 April 28, 2011

Great show! but not made for kids

This is a very entertaining but disturbing show. I started watching it when i was 10 and i enjoyed it but sometimes i would turn off the tv because it was too scary haha. This show was definetly not made for kids but i think teens can handle it. Almost every episode has educated and trained people bringing criminals to justice so it has some good messages.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhollygburns June 18, 2015

Awesome!

The show is great! I love it! I think it is a great show, but could be to much for some people!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMgrace1 May 8, 2015

Good Show

I grew up watching this show, so I was probably 7 when I started yes I got scared, heck I was always scared to watch these shows, Now like 5 years later I am hooked on Crime Shows. Family has been watching this show for 16 years, My family got me hooked on them. If your children are mature enough then, go ahead let them watch it. Keep them coming coming.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanimateddisneyfan December 14, 2014

killer show!

I really like this show! But it's definitely has scenes in the show that are graphic like in the beginning of this one episode you do see a lady with her foot cut off. But really it is a good show and it's a great show for people who want to do this job when their older. :)
Kid, 12 years old May 20, 2014

Okay for 11+ with an adult

Violence 8/10: Every crimes involve a violent act with blood and sometimes realistic cut in people. Language 4/10: a*s, hell, damn, b*tch. Only said during interrorgations. Sex 8/10: Crimes include rape, torture, and sex. Positive messages 9/10: This show is based on true crimes that happened in NY. Olivia and Elliot are uncovering dark and gruesome secrets about crimes
Teen, 13 years old Written bybgreenfield22 April 29, 2014

Law and Order

This show is not super violent but it has lots of violent rape/incest. I watched this show a few times but it just scared me to think about the things going on in the show.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLinz500 February 9, 2014

SVU

Really good show!
Teen, 16 years old Written bya1l2l3y4 August 29, 2013

great show

This is a really great show.for people that think that only older teens to watch this , kids know a lot more than we give them credit for.they need to get used to how the world is.
Teen, 16 years old Written byscarlett_elisabeth August 6, 2013

Not for kids

the tv show is 14+ for a good reason, anybody under the age of 13 should not be watching this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThinker47 June 17, 2013

Good, but lots of sexual crimes

Parents should know there are a lot of rapes, sexually themed murders, and molest crimes in this show. There is also more violence and grittiness than in the original LAO.
Teen, 13 years old Written byelizalee814 April 20, 2013

Brilliant show with positive role models and messages!

I started watching this this year and I have to say I think it's my favorite show and I mean that! Christopher Meloni does a genius job portraying Elliot Stabler and everyone else does an amazing job as well! Although at times it can be a bit rough to watch I think it sends a good message to people and really brings awareness to stuff that's happening today! If you think that a 13 year old doesn't know what rape is then your wrong because most thirteen year olds do. Besides it's not like it's a show about people just having sex, it's about rape and other crimes like it. There is a teeny bit of violence sometimes but it's not too bad. Other than that it's got a lot of good role models and positive messages! They usually don't even show the rape they just show someone finding the victim in the beginning.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTaylor0 May 31, 2012

Love This Show!!!

First of all, the violence is when somebody shoots someone or there is physical fights. Second of all, it's Law & Order: SVU, it doesn't show many sexual scenes. It does however talk about sex, but that's what the show is about, detectives solving rape crimes and children crimes. It will talk about drugs and alcohol and you will see scenes with drugs and alcohol. There is some minor bad language, but no F word or anything like that. Being 16 to watch this show that's a joke. I say as long as you are sexually educated enough you can watch this show.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRyssa May 29, 2012

Interesting show, good messages.

This show is a great legal drama. It promotes messages against vigilante justice, protection of children, advocating victim's rights. The overall message is that while not everything has a happy ending, victims of any sort of abuse should pursue legal and psychiatric help. It doesn't try to shield the heinous nature of sex crimes, because there is no way to do that. It shows victims getting justice, and continuing with their lives the best they can. If a person is old enough to understand the content, as most teenagers are, then they should feel free to watch it. It's a great show.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydancerforlife March 20, 2012

I'ts Ok, once you talk to your teen.

It's not for the faint hearted. It's a great show, sure, but it talks about things that little kids would be scared of. But for teens (older), it's almost educational. The actual acting is great, and the lead female plays a positive role for girls because she is strong, confident, and that she also can have emotions. It's definitly something to talk to your kids about first.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymolantha January 15, 2012

Nothing bad to say!

i am addddiiiicccttteeeedddd! I'm 15 and have been avidly watching for about a year now. I personally watch a lot of more mature shows, as my parents are these cool things called "liberals" and don't believe in censorship. I have also read several books with similar themes. I think that the fact that a case is over and done with in one hour is very nice because they don't throw in a whole bunch of personal crap with the cops lives, it's about the case. Also, anyone who does inappropriate things, gets locked up! I truly don't see what's bad about that. I know that for people who aren't used to hearing words like "rape" or "molestation" or don't want to see graphic fake images of dead people, they would be offended. But in today's world, that's a very, very, very select few people. Plus, if a younger kid (11 and under) was watching with you, and a term came up, "rape" for example, that's a good time to have a discussion about healthy relationships, what's wrong and right, and when and how to get help when you need it. Sure, you can water down the hard facts, but it's never too early to start teaching your children about what's out there, because it's better they know what to do. Lastly, I appreciate the wonderful female role model that is Olivia Benson. Olivia does all the same work as the male cops: goes to crime scenes, busts down doors, restrains offenders, etc. She's never a "bombshell" or ditzy at all, she's just a normal person, which is awesome.
Kid, 12 years old December 1, 2011

SVU

It's a great show, and i think alot of people need to watch it. The characters are GREAT people and GREAT role models, and honestly, it's not that bad. my 14 year old sister cant handle a drop of blood in her sight but LOVES the show. Don't let children under 10 watch thisshow unless they've had "the talk" and know about rape and child abuse and stuff. anyway, THE BEST SHOW EVER! i STRONGLY reccomend this show, and accpording to this website, 0% of people who have already seen this show would NOT reccomend it. I mean, come on, my USERNAME is named after this show. Sincerely, a random e/o shipper. p.s.: i LOVE you, other fans!
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn September 16, 2011

Visceral, graphic crime thriller show is terrifically entertaining

I know it is rated 14 on television, but honestly, Law and Order: SUV, obviously deals with constant sexual and violent themes which are both linked together in virtually every episode. Certain episodes vary on how explicit the content is, but many episodes of have plenty of often very graphic and bloody violence, graphic sexual assaults and rape, occasional non-graphic partial nudity and mild profanity throughout. This is a fantastic, realistic crime show and is likely to enthrall many older teens, but it is very graphic and sexually mature.
Teen, 15 years old Written byxaltrockgirlx September 11, 2011

Know your kid!

I started watching this show as an early teenager when I saw my parents watch it. They let me watch it on the condition that I would take what I saw on screen allow them to explain why these crimes were wrong, what I can do to protect myself, etc. While the crimes aren't usually showed, at least not the climax of it, they can be described fairly graphically and people shown afterwards can look brutal, and these crimes are more often than not committed against women and/or children. While the bad guys are clearly bad, the good guys work hard to protect their victims. The language is a little bit edgier than say something like, House, but keeps within primetime standards. Drugs can occassionally play a role in crimes, like giving a woman GHB, but none are used by the good guys. I would tell parents to really think before letting their kid watch the show, because while a mature kid like me who's been watching shows like CSI since they were nine may be fine with watching, other kids the same age could really get their heads messed up. With this kind of show, it really all depends on your kid. If they can handle it, the acting (Mariska Hargitay [who trained as a rape crisis councelor and is actually president of the charity Joyful Hearts Foundation to help sexual assault victims which I applaud her for] and the unfortunately-recently-left Christopher Meloni made one of the best cop pairings ever) is fantastic and the message that these crimes are unacceptable comes through loud and clear, which is refreshing compared to rape jokes that appear on other shows (not mentioning names).
Kid, 12 years old August 4, 2011

Not a tween/teen show. Mature teens and adults only!

I hate the show, only because it is insanely scary for tweens! I like NCIS, so I decided to watch this. NOT a good idea. I was creeped out for a whole week! It is a good show, but definitly for older people.
Kid, 9 years old May 29, 2011

not for babies

law and order is about crimal justice