All member reviews for Law & Order: SVU

Grisly, sensationalized crimes; not meant for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byccv23 April 28, 2011

Great show! but not made for kids

This is a very entertaining but disturbing show. I started watching it when i was 10 and i enjoyed it but sometimes i would turn off the tv because it was too scary haha. This show was definetly not made for kids but i think teens can handle it. Almost every episode has educated and trained people bringing criminals to justice so it has some good messages.
Parent Written bysperryking July 9, 2011

Parents relax its great show for mature teens 12+

The series is a way to show what really happens everyday and how justice is or isn't served in a rather entertaining and interesting way.the suspenseful series leaves you wanting to watch more and may inspire older kids to potentially work in that field of work.(kids should know that it takes hard work and a long time to become a detective and handle crimes like the actors o the show do, also inform them that they have their share in heavy paper work and there is much more to being a cop)alot of parents choose to smuggle there kids and not introduce them to things in the real world thinking that there protecting them. if your child is 12+ years old they should be allowed to watch this show because it helps kids understand how justice should be served and they should always inform the police about crimes. and for the people who think no one under 17 should watch you need to realize that kids can handle more than you think and there gonna learn these things either on the show or on the streets. 16 is ridiculously close to a young adult and should be exposed to these type of situations so they can understand how to handle it. i know a girl(age 16) who recently and intentionally had unprotected sex because she didnt know that she could get pregnant when she's not on her period.The result of a very overprotecive parent who tried to mold her daughter into the perfect child by not letting educating her about dangers, sex and its consequences if not 12, 14 year olds should be aloud to watch it i've been watching this since i was 11
Parent of a 11, 12, and 18+ year old Written byMarlon baker December 23, 2013

It depends on the child you have

My child loves this show and wants to be just like Olivia (one of the characters) when she grows up and she is 12 years old! I think it depends on the child you have if you think that your child isn't ready, in other words if you think that maybe it will send the wrong message, then just go with your gut. I started my child with other law and orders, because there are TONS out there, when I thought she was ready I let her watch the SUV, she LOVED it and still does! Her favorite part is finding out the Mysteries! I think it teaches problem solving skills. There are some positive role models in the addicting show but be careful if your kid is too young then it just might send a mixed message. Keep in mind that not all crime shows have rapes in them just pick the kind you want your kid to watch. The only language in the show are a few H's and D's if you know what I mean. There are a few scenes in the bar REMEMBER: teaches problem solving skills Has positive role models ( good guys: cops/bad guys) Of course it has violence! Has sex, rapes, kiddnaps, Ect but there are different law and orders on deferent channels Only "H" words and "D" words Be sure to tell your child that these crimes probably will happen but not to them even though it expanse that at the very beginning of every show
Teen, 16 years old Written bya1l2l3y4 August 29, 2013

great show

This is a really great show.for people that think that only older teens to watch this , kids know a lot more than we give them credit for.they need to get used to how the world is.
Kid, 12 years old August 4, 2011

Not a tween/teen show. Mature teens and adults only!

I hate the show, only because it is insanely scary for tweens! I like NCIS, so I decided to watch this. NOT a good idea. I was creeped out for a whole week! It is a good show, but definitly for older people.
Parent of a 1, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byJacobyShaddix32 December 15, 2009

really good show

One of the best shows out there
Adult Written bymrs.black09 September 27, 2009

Defiinitely not for young teens and younger

I had been watching the original Law and Order since I was eight or nine without issue, so my usually very cautious mother thought it would be okay for me to watch SVU starting when I was about thirteen. That was a big mistake - I was an innocent kid who didn't know much about consensual sex but I was seeing all this stuff about rape and molestation - and it kind of skewered my views on sex. It kind of messed me up for several years. My Mom could tell I was upset by it and made me stop watching it, and I'm glad she did. Now I watch it every now and then, but it is disturbing even now! Even the original Law and Order is getting darker and darker - rent the first few seasons of the good old original on DVD instead of watching on TV if you have kids or young teens.
Parent of a 2, 2, 3, 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byMarshall78 August 16, 2009

My Husband And I Love This Show!

I love this show. My husband and I record every eipsode and watch them after our kids go to bed. I started watching this the year it started. If I watch a certian eisode and don't think that its to bad my older kids might get to watch it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bykellie_116 August 9, 2016

Important Message for Teenagers

Obviously, a show about sexual violence has a lot of, well, sex and violence. But SVU is a great show with an important message. Leading lady Lt. Olivia Benson is a strong role model who never gives up and always fights for justice. She also proved that it is, in fact, possible to work full-time and be a single mom! Even more importantly, SVU shows viewers that justice is possible for victims of sexual assault and that you can overcome an attack like this. Because I watch SVU, I know what to do if I'm ever sexually assaulted. I know that men can be raped. And I know that it is never, ever the victim's fault. I started watching this show with my mom right after my 14th birthday. I think it's probably okay for 14 year olds to watch with a parent, but I definitely think kids should watch with an adult for their first several episodes.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMharvey454 February 5, 2016

Educational and Interesting

I have been watching SVU for almost a year, and while I haven't watched every single episode, I can safely say that this is one of my favorite shows. I mark my calendar every week just to make sure that I never miss a single episode. This show is intriguing, mysterious, and educational. It shows the harsh reality, and most of the main characters are very likeable. Olivia Benson is a great strong female lead. She is fearless and incredibly intelligent. Fin is funny and not afraid to slam a criminal and say a joke along the way. Overall I would highly recommend this show to mature viewers who are willing to see how detectives fight crime.
Adult Written by☯jamie☯ November 1, 2015

Great show! Helped me mature and learn about real life!

I've been watching this show since I was 12, and although the grisly nature of the crimes in this show(rape, murder, domestic violence) may seem inappropriate, it taught me a lot. Unlike the other hormonal teenagers I was around, I didn't make or laugh at rape jokes in school, and actually wanted to listen when people came forward with their stories. This show actually inspired me to go into criminal justice. And oh, by the way, this show has an EXCELLENT role model. Her name is Olivia Benson, and she is byfar one of the greatest female characters on TV. She inspires young and old all the same with her wit, perseverance,and her charming independence. It depends on what you allow in your household. But for growing tweens and teens who are poorly educated or embarrassed to ask about the risks in an increasingly creepy society, this show is knowledge and power. I definitely recommend!
Adult Written byclarence August 4, 2015
Adult Written bynevemac July 20, 2015
I have watched SVU for as long as I can remember but it is definitely not appropriate for children under 16. Obviously there is a lot of sexual themes (rape, sexual assault, etc.) and violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhollygburns June 18, 2015

Awesome!

The show is great! I love it! I think it is a great show, but could be to much for some people!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMgrace1 May 8, 2015

Good Show

I grew up watching this show, so I was probably 7 when I started yes I got scared, heck I was always scared to watch these shows, Now like 5 years later I am hooked on Crime Shows. Family has been watching this show for 16 years, My family got me hooked on them. If your children are mature enough then, go ahead let them watch it. Keep them coming coming.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byjordynannee February 21, 2015
I've watched Law and Order SVU eversense I was 10 with the supervision of my mother and father.There is a lot of violence with children,so some kids could think it could happen to them.I stopped watching till I was 11 because one of the episodes scared me a little,I was also watching it at night so it didn't make it better.I still don't watch it at night unless I'm with my parents.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanimateddisneyfan December 14, 2014

killer show!

I really like this show! But it's definitely has scenes in the show that are graphic like in the beginning of this one episode you do see a lady with her foot cut off. But really it is a good show and it's a great show for people who want to do this job when their older. :)
Kid, 12 years old May 20, 2014

Okay for 11+ with an adult

Violence 8/10: Every crimes involve a violent act with blood and sometimes realistic cut in people. Language 4/10: a*s, hell, damn, b*tch. Only said during interrorgations. Sex 8/10: Crimes include rape, torture, and sex. Positive messages 9/10: This show is based on true crimes that happened in NY. Olivia and Elliot are uncovering dark and gruesome secrets about crimes
Parent Written byGogolucke54 May 17, 2014

Amazing!

Quality for any age. All kids will enjoy this thought-provoking show.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybgreenfield22 April 29, 2014

Law and Order

This show is not super violent but it has lots of violent rape/incest. I watched this show a few times but it just scared me to think about the things going on in the show.