All teen and kid member reviews for Life with Derek

Teen, 14 years old Written byBlueSunday October 11, 2010

Realistic and Funny Family Show

This was a very fun family friendly show (and its in Canada!) Casey can be a bit controlling, but the point is she's trying to overcome that, especially when she has to be stuck in the same Household as Derek! They're all funny together, especially Edwin, Lizzy and Marty. The romance gets a tad annoying with the make-up break-ups (the parents get irritated with it too) but still, its realistic and comical. And the acting is actually good! Their problems aren't rediculous either, real and genuine and the characters can relate to a person (It NEEDs to come back on for the sake of all that's good!)
Kid, 12 years old July 14, 2009

This show is interesting to watch, but it doesn't show what a 16-year-old is supposed to act like.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMariodude23 May 11, 2010

Two stars?

First, let me address commonsense's two stars. This show is better than anything else on the Disney channel and you give it two stars? This show has many more laughs, much more talent, and better direction (and concept) than Hannah Montana and Sonny with a Chance and all of that other crap on the channel, and you give them all 3 stars. Yet this well made show comes along and you give it two stars? It doesn't have any consumerism in it, has better morals, and is better for kids yet you give it two stars? Whatever, this show is better than anything else on the channel, and is very enjoyable. I won't go into detail because I'd just be re-iterating what I said above.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!

there is nothing wrong with this show its really interesting and realistic! In case parents don't know THIS IS REALLY HOW LIFE IS! Disney finally has a show that tweens and teens can actually relate to. Of course I don't think it should be rated "G" (or even on Disney Channel) but its a great show. And there is nothing wrong with the whole DerekxCasey relationship because they are teenagers who who aren't related and they didn't even grow up together!One of my very favorite shows of all time!

Wowzers!

Life with Derek is a good show for all pre-teens. Kids 10 and under it is not such a good idea because they are using some cusswords not major but, maybe something you don't want them learning. So watch it with them and approve of it!
Teen, 14 years old Written bynatalie503 April 9, 2008

MUST WATCH with your child!

This show is about two families melding together to create one big happy family. It's nothing we haven't seen before (Brady Bunch anyone?) but this show is pointed more towards tweens, I'd say teens, from ages 11 or even 12 to ages fourteen (some say 15). In most shows where the characters are fifteen a fourteen or thirteen year old will be watching, not a fifteen year old. There are definitely some things on this show that are inappropriate for some people. They boys are obsessed with girls, or chicks and babes as they say which is also a problem, and they talk frequently about their bodies and dating and kissing.... The parents even make some remarks oozing with inuendo but depending on your kid they may or may not understand it. The parents in one episode are moving their room to the basement and the mother points out (with a suggestive tone) that there will be a whole floor between them and the kids. Your child may take that to mean that they won't hear the kids when they're fighting others may hear it differently. In this case most hear it in the inappropriate sense. They boys also have pictures of women in thongs and bathing suits on their walls which are shown in the episodes. The girls dress promiscuously in order to get the attention of guys. After the attention is won the guy (Derek) then proceeds to hit on her against a locker which can also be inappropriate. It isn't that this show shows kids being interested in things too young (i.e Edwin the eleven year old is nervous about staring at a girls chest while talking to her) but i think that people probably get so offended by these thin gs because they either think that this is the first time their kid is being exposed to these things (unlikely) or because it's on TV. Watch it with your kid so that if YOU find something inappropriate you can flip the channel. Make sure none of them get into the habit of calling girls chicks and babes either. it's distasteful and rude. Thanks for reading!
Teen, 14 years old Written byroseandcupcakes July 8, 2015

i love this show

this show is a show that looks into blended families and what can happen if that happens. I would recommend this show to 12 year olds because it does talk about relationships and there is a bit of kissing. overall this is a good show and shows how families can look out for each other even though they are part of a blended family.
Kid, 10 years old April 1, 2013

Lots of talk about puberty, but with their target audience, it is relatable

I think this show contains a realistic bit of sexual content considering there are two teenagers and two pre-teens, as well as a young girl. They continue to talk about breasts, hormones, acne, and puberty in general. Make sure you talk about puberty to your kids before you let them watch this. If they are to young for you to have that talk with them, then they are to young to watch it.
Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2011

Watch out

This show is great. But it is really sexy. Not good for younger kids, but at the end it always ends up setting a great example. There was an episode that derek liked to play a game called baberator. Its about a game and the character in the game had huge breasts and in the game she said "you want bra power, I will give you bra power". Then there was an episode about this girl at there school and derek started hitting on her. and at the end of the episode they where making out on the couch. That same episode they where talking about how big her breasts where. And nora wanter to borrow one of Caseys bras.
Kid, 11 years old March 13, 2011

ages 11+

Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana March 6, 2011

i love this show.its amazing.theres nothing really that bad in it.
Kid, 12 years old February 19, 2011

Great Tween Show!

I've been watching this show since I saw it at age 7, and still watch it again and again on youtube. It's originalIt's a great show, but there was a lot about dating, and even an episode about a sexist game called Babe Raider (The girls are fighting it in the episode.) In another episode Casey thought Derek was selling drugs.
Kid, 10 years old August 8, 2010

One of my Fav shows on disney channel

It is my favorite show on disney channel along with good luck charlie. It is by far the funniest and most realistic. Must Watch!
Teen, 13 years old Written byRainforestGal March 12, 2010

Well. . its okay, there's just too much lovey dovey junk in there, other wise its cool.
Kid, 10 years old October 7, 2009

alright,but iffy

okay...but there is a H*** in an episode,and the talk about sexual content and drugs, and mom gets pregnet..alright for 12+
Teen, 14 years old Written byMiley Cyrus Twilight October 7, 2009

Quite iffy.

Too many iffy stuff for little children. Can't blame disney as it's not the original series.
Kid, 8 years old September 4, 2009

Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2009

Awesome show, but...TV-G?

I think this show is good, but I think it really kind of pushes the G rating as far as sex, I think it would be better off as PG.
Kid, 11 years old July 10, 2009