All member reviews for Life

Gorgeous family-friendly series celebrates nature.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySynchronicity March 23, 2010

When I first saw Planet Earth, I was taken aback at how frickin' awesome it was. Three years later, we have the new series Life, done by the same production team and companies (the BBC, the Discovery Channel, and NHK). Although Planet Earth talked extensively about the world we live in, as well as its inhabitants, there's still much more out there that hasn't been filmed yet. Now, Life does all creatures, great and small, justice. There are some truly breathtaking images that have never been captured on film in this series, as with Planet Earth. The Jesus Christ lizard's unconventional method of escape (that gave it its name) and the Komodo dragon hunt are worth watching Life for alone. I can't wait to see what other beautiful imagery the BBC has given us, and moreover, I can't wait to watch the BBC version of Life. In terms of content, there are some more intense depictions of animal hunting and mating than there were in Planet Earth, which is why I set the age limit at 8+ (as opposed to my previous rating of 6+ for Planet Earth). But, if your kid can handle such scenes, by all means, watch this amazing show.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBlueSunday October 6, 2010

It will blow you away!

This show is so amazing and breath taking, I'm not sure where to start. For one, family friendly (although sometimes there is death or mating scenes) it is spectacular! I love learning about animals, its something everyone should eventually learn, and it helps us understand and respect nature much more (human beings need help with that) Plus the theme song makes me want to listen to it again and again, the butterfly wings are very dramatic :) You HAVE to see this, we watch some clips of it in science.
Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2010

This is LIFE :)

I really love animals. Who doesn't? So when I watched this for the first time, I was crying. So much beauty, it can't even be put into words. Once I was watching it with my dad and younger brother. It showed two snakes mating. My brother's like,"What are they doing?" I didn't answer his question. I didn't think a 7 year old would really need to know what was going on. They have a lot of animals doing dances for mates, which is ok, but I was disgusted myself and was embarrassed that my dad was staring too. There is also some birth, which can get disgusting. I watch Animal Planet so often, I am used to seeing tigers and lionesses attacking and eating. It's just natural, but it may not be suitable for younger children. Even though it is nature, its still EAT OR BE EATEN, so I don't recommend it for kids under 7. They still need to see a lot more of the world without violence, or it could be bad.
Kid, 10 years old August 27, 2011

Beautiful

Beautiful
Educator Written byMychemicalstinkpants April 24, 2011

Educator and Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bySierra Filucci March 9, 2010