All member reviews for Little House on the Prairie

Classic pioneer drama is one for the books.

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byloisj April 11, 2009

Beware outdated content

I love having my kids watch this show because the themes are so innocent and because there's really no violence or sexual content. However, beware some outdated themes and ideas--I've found i have to watch with my kids and be ready to turn off the episode. For example, we watched an episode about an African American character, Joe Kagen, who was trying to get the townsfolks' "permission" to attend church (which takes some debriefing with young children to begin with). The two main male protagonists (Pa and Jonathan) were of course on the moral side of the episode's message, arguing on Joe's behalf, but Mrs. Olsen, the antagonist, was arguing against it. I was shocked to hear her begin spouting racist ideas such as "those people practice witchcraft, beat on drums, and EAT PEOPLE!" Then, as if that's not enough, her husband, who is supposed to be on the "right" side of the moral message, states that her view is ridiculous and "this is America, not Africa!" So not only do kids hear racist stereotypes that they might not otherwise hear, but then they're told that those things DO happen in Africa! So things like that, which were considered moral and "progressive" in 1979, are outdated, racist, and horribly ethnocentric by today's standards. Just beware the time lag!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKelandryOfTortall April 9, 2008

Realllly good!

I love little house (and most other older shows). The episodes are really good, especially the newer ones, which seem to have more interesting plots. Must watch, especially for vintage-intolerant eleven-year-olds. :)))) xoxo KEL
Parent Written bymarz January 17, 2014

The best tv series for kids

My 11 year old very sporty son surprisingly absolutely LOVES this series. This was unexpected because I actually bought it with his younger sister in mind. He laughs, cries and even yells at the screen! My husband and I can't help but watch and get involved in the shows as well. We both remember our favourite episode. My son was begging me to tell him what happened to certain characters in later episodes. My 8 year old daughter enjoys the series as well but I think it is better understood by 9-12 year olds. The values are timeless. You can't go wrong. Enjoy.
Adult Written byclassicfilmlover39 November 19, 2012

A beloved classic

I'll go as far as to say this is one of the best television shows ever made. It's easy to see why! This series is family-friendly and pulls at the heartstrings. It also has its lighthearted moments, and even some funny moments! (For instance, I personally think Mrs. Oleson can be hilarious, but she's awful! You just love to hate her.) This is a classic.
Kid, 8 years old August 27, 2012

luv

younger kids wont understand it but....i watch it with my mom all the time and we read all the books.it is very fun to watch and read the books.it teaches you what they did back then.It seems so hard to live that way.NO make up.no beautiful clothes.no extra sleep.all it was was WORK WORK WORK.soooooo hard.i never knew that still at that time NO apple.not like apples that u eat but the electronic comunity.(ex.ipod iphone ipad etc.)
Teen, 16 years old Written byFilmFanatic April 17, 2012

Fantastic Classic! A must for the whole family!

Fantastic show! If you like Highway to Heaven , you'll love this one! The reason i chose pause for kids 7 and under, is because there is SOME language (The N word) but during the time the show is set in, the use of this word was not extremely taboo. Also, some of the themes can be a little heavy, and many episodes feature main characters in mortal peril. There is some violence, but its not graphic or gory. MOST of the times the main characters get out ok. **spoiler** In LHOTP, sometimes tragic things happen very suddenly and are unexpected. For example, Charles, (Laura's father) suddenly gets shot while on a hunting trip with is daughter. Its unexpected and happens out of the blue and can shock some audience members. All in all, a fantastic show that upholds morals and respect and addresses a wide variety of topics :) Give it a watch!
Kid, 10 years old July 1, 2011

A bit too outdated

People do smoke. There is some violence sometimes even involving guns. In some episodes people die from ilnesses, etc. The show also touches on some deep issues such as prejudice. For example, In one episode I saw Ms. Oleson discriminates against a person just because he was a midget. Of, course the "midget' proves himself at the end by saving Ms. Oleson's daughter. The problems are always solved, so there is always a positive message at the end. Because of its themes, smoking and violence i say this deserves a mild TV-PG-D ( D stands for suggestive dialouge) rating. The show is very good, but younger will probably find it too slow. Also, there are some moments that feel to last generation. Overall: 9+ 7-8 iffy. 4.3/5
Teen, 13 years old Written bySoftballlover August 6, 2010

Perfect for all ages!

I really like the show. Every episode has a good lesson to learn. Some episode have African-Americans coming in and the towns people acting wierd but that was just like it was back then. So I don't think there are any problems with the show!
Parent of a 15 year old Written bycheerbear11 February 11, 2010

Perfect for Young and old alike

I love the show. It has good role models. It teaches you how to deal with difficult people such as a Nellie Oleson. It has good values. It teaches you about perseverance. It teaches you not to make fun of people who are different. It one episode it even teaches young people to stay away from drugs and I think that's awesome.
Adult Written byshannjill April 9, 2008

In a world of "That's so Raven" (not on at our house), I am truly surprised that my eight year old will watch this at all, but no fail when she hears the intro. she comes running. A family show that teaches values and respect towards parents instead of who's wearing the best outfit, I'm all in!
Teen, 16 years old Written byKatnissArrow5 March 14, 2014

CLASSIC!!! PERFECT FOR A LAZY FRIDAY WITH THE KIDS!!

I watched this and i was stuck on pioneers when i was little :D There is nothing wrong with it but you need to know what the shows about to enjoy it!
Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2013

Awesome series!!!!

I love little house on the prairie series! All the episodes are so good but some of them may be boring or intense. Not all of them are real but some of them are. This series is about Laura Ingalls Wilder, a pioneer girl who lives on a prairie, she faces many challenges and is very adventurous. She lives with her pa, Charles. Her ma, Caroline. Her younger sister Carrie. Her younger sister, Grace. Her older sister, Mary. And her loving dog, Jack. I recommend this tv show for people who like adventure or are adventurous. Even if you do not like adventure, You will surely love this tv show!
Kid, 9 years old November 18, 2012

Little House Is AWESOME!!

THIS IS AN AWESOME SHOW!!!!!!!! I love this show and my mom really enjoys watching it with me. There is a bit of everything in it. It teaches people how we lived way back when and it has educational value it has some good messages and lots of good role models. You might not agree with me about Nellie Olsen there and I don't think he shows a good role model either but she mixes in a bit of funkiness. it has a bit of violence so not for young ones. It shows lots of people kiss so again not for young ones and it has a bit of bad language such as in one episode when Mary fell on love with Seth after Laura had met him and said "I hate you." There is also a bit of drinking, drugs, and smoking. The main adult Charles Ingalls smokes a pipe and there is beer being shown and someone drinking it.
Kid, 9 years old October 18, 2012

It all depends on the episode

This series is great but some episodes such as rage,Sylvia both parts and darkness is my friend may be a little intense for little kids. Episodes such as blizzard, mortal mission, plague and surviavl death is the main topic. But others like the nephews, the camp out, goodbye mrs. Wilder and the lake kezia monster are all very funny. Some episodes like remember me, may we make them proud and a child with no name are kinda sad. It all depends on the episode.
Adult Written byJEDI micah August 26, 2012

A little boring.

I don't want anyone to hate me for saying this, but I don't find this show entertaining. My sister loves it, and when she turns the channel to see this, I just roll my eyes. That is my opinion, so no one has to agree with me!
Kid, 12 years old March 30, 2012

Old, But GreAT!

This is a really old show,but still great in moral values!
Kid, 9 years old October 10, 2010

It has great messages

I love it. Me and my family always watch it. But please watch out for some parts about people at the saloon. Drinking, fighting, gambling, ect. But I think the message is great it teaches kids about how tough it was back then and it should make your kids appreciate what they have and how easy life is now days.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymomjen September 11, 2010

Great show

We love it! Teaches children life lessons in each show. Also teaches them how we use to live, how to get along, how to have fun even without everything, family values, and respect for others.
Kid, 12 years old April 19, 2010

Such A Great Family TV Show!!!

Little house on the Praire is such a good show! The role models are that good that ***I AM NAMED AFTER LAURA*** My parents often say that I turned out more rather like Nellie Oleson. There is always an important message behind each episode stating a rule about sharing and being positive and all that. Dad will usually ask at the end of the episode "What is the lesson this time kids?" We have all the seasons up to No7 and have learnt some interesting trivia such as... - Lindsay and Sidney Greenbush are identical twins that play Carrie. - Willie Olesen and Laura Ingalls are adopted brother and sister and so are Andy Garvey and Albert Ingalls. In later seasons, Laura and Almonzo have a few kissy scenes but it is nothing to get fussed about.
Adult Written bySuperJoe April 9, 2008