All member reviews for Mad Men

Ads and anxiety in 1960s office drama for adults.

Age

Adult Written byterra100 April 9, 2008

great show for adults only

My husband and I have watched this show since the pilot episode. It is NOT for kids under 17 -- the messages are too complicated and mature. There's enough smoking to make you get lung cancer through the television! But that's all within the 1960 context -- actually everything is within that time period, including all the sexual behavior, harrassment, treating of women, etc. It is an excellent view of some demographics of the past, and really makes you think about the present and how people treat each other today. The show is mainly a character treatment, so you have to stick with watching episode after episode to fully enjoy the show.
Adult Written byJackla April 9, 2008

A Gift to intelligent parents

This is not a show for young kids, but it does seem relevant to teens who are adrift in the complexity of todays sexual landscape. The shock of the old gives perspective to girls who need to know how hard fought the battle was for feminism. And it's refreshing, although complex, for young men to understand what is appropriate, what is masculinity etc. I also feel that the show seems to elevate the discussion of sexuality and fidelity. The characters seem to be probing true human emotions and desires and still none of the actual interactions seems glib or shallow or girls gone wild. These people are tortured by their choices. My teens have downloaded it from itunes and I think it's caused a lot of discussion on those topics.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMiscreant March 13, 2012

THIS SHOULD NOT BE HIGHER THAN HELL ON WHEELS

It is ridiculous that you have this at 16+, while Hell on Wheels is only on 15+. There is graphic violence on that show, which is centered around the main character murdering the people responsible for killing his wife, and practically all the good guys are murderers. Whereas on this show.... the main character cheats on his wife, and there are a few sex scenes that are never graphic at all. This is worse than Hell on Wheels? Really? And it's pretty stupid to put "noticable product placement" in the symbols up there. It's really bad for kids to see products in movies? Yeah, cause they don't see any products being advertised in, you know, the - real - world!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy45 February 14, 2013

In 1960 New York, at Sterling Cooper, things are surviving by a shoe string. With the difficulties in the personal lives of their employees and clients, the show chronicles that not all TV is terrible nowadays.

Whenever it comes to nudity, they censor themselves fairly well, in one episode, a characters privates are blocked by a typewriter. The show is very time consumed in the 1960's, all issues are executed not as a story, but a situation, a situation will evolve, a story is set in place with a plan. It is probably the best show on television. It is well written and acted!
Teen, 17 years old Written byhappinessisawarmgun June 18, 2011

Mad Men

Amazing show, and there is lots of derogatory attitudes towards woman, jews, blacks, gays etc. All of the characters in the show are very politically-incorrect but there is no swearing, violence or nudity so it is hard to say that this show is innappropriate. Teens should be able to watch it. However, alcohol is drunk and cigarettes are smoked throughout in every episode and there are sex references and sex scenes with out nudity. 'S**t' is used once every other episode. There is really nothing too bad about this show, but has lots of adult themes, and therefore is not for pre-teens.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTrissacar December 26, 2009

Brass tacs

Ok so I like to watch this show on and off. So I'm going to get down to the brass tacs. Nudity,foul langauge,scenes of the sensual nature. Not really appropiate for most teens. Its a great show with lots of history information and moral dilemmas. But heres what I'd reccomend if your teen (no children PLEASE) REALLY wants to watch it YOU watch it first and then watch it with them so you can edit out the parts that you don't want them seeing. But make sure you explain that you don't want them to see those scenes because you respect them not because you want to keep things from them. Teens and children that get the wrong idea about your motives will grow up very angry.
Kid, 11 years old June 1, 2015

For 12-14 year olds and up depending on maturity

Definitely a good show! I think it teaches about the 60's and has interesting plots. Depending on how mature the kid is I think 13 year olds are probably the best age to start watching this show. Since it can be a complicated show at times some kids might get bored of the show and won't even want to watch it cause they won't know what's going on. I watch this show and I think from a kids point of view it is a very good show and not too inappropriate. They do use alcohol and smoke a lot in the show but again it does take place in the 60s-70s and I think your child will understand that it took place in a different time and people living at that time weren't very well educated about the harmful effects of these things. They even talk about in the show how smoking may be fatal. Over all I definitely think you should think about letting your child watch this show.
Adult Written byDon Draper February 3, 2013

Best show on TV

Obviously by my name you can tell that I love this show. This definitely isn't for kids and younger teens but older teens should be fine. It has a great cast (how Jon Hamm hasn't won an Emmy for playing Draper I'll never know) with excellent writing and characters even the sets and clothes are great making you feel like you're really looking into the 1960's.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymymembername July 23, 2012

Mad Men

Mad Men is one of the smartest, greatest shows on television. The name refers to the fact that it's about "ad men" working on Madison Avenue (get it?), with the show taking place in the 1960s (as it's been pointed out by many). I know many people come to this site for its reliability on telling you how appropriate different things in the media are for young people. That's one of the things I like about Common Sense. So, brushing aside the fact that critically, it's an amazing show, I'll go on to tell you what you should watch out for, whether you're a young person or a parent. In terms of comfortability, this show is definitely more likely to be enjoyed by older teens and most definitely adults. I think it's unfair to imply that this show is too intelligent for people under the age of 18 or any other age limits mentioned before me. I think it makes a lot more sense to say that this show is for intelligent people of any age. That doesn't mean that a 10 year old child (for example) is not going to be upset by the content. In fact, this content can be upsetting for ANYONE who is not comfortable with sex (i.e. discreet and brief depictions of sexual intercourse, brief flashes of skin, depictions of sexual fantasies, implications of on and off-screen sexual acts, etc.), drinking & smoking (i.e. heavy and constant, with the characters accurately unaware of the negative after-effects and health dangers), consumerism (i.e. featuring brands that both exist to this day and ones that have been discontinued, the entire show is mainly a social commentary on the growth of consumerism and the promotion of large influences in the 1960s), language (i.e. infrequent, but the strongest use being the f-word for example, in episode 1, season 1, "The Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" a little over 20 minutes into the episode, said under a character's breath), violence (i.e. VERY rare, but when featured it is not done discreetly or mild in the slightest way), and lastly, but not least, a vast array of likable but bad role models that you will occasionally cheer for or boo. To steer back on to a more critical viewpoint (in the sense that this is an incredible show), the writing blows me away, as well as the acting, and the authenticity of the show in general. This is what I call a perfect show, because everything is done in the best quality and talent. When explaining this show, people often point out the fact that this show is not about positive messages and role models, and yes, this is not for young children. But it is also an amazing piece of art. I love this show.
Teen, 15 years old Written byllreichling October 21, 2010

Adult Written byprabesh2001 October 7, 2014

very mature with drugs

lots of smoking and drugs but a good show
Teen, 14 years old Written byR. Zrike July 11, 2014

Lots of Sexual Content

Doesn't show any body parts, but be aware. More than what might be expected.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySumBO March 27, 2013

Simple but significant

Mad Men is a great show, that really shows what real life is all about for an ad man in the 60's. it's the only show on tv that doesn't sugar-coat everything, making it unrealistic. The show is very logical and honest. I highly recommend it for anyone above 13 only because the show does have several sex scenes, that aren't completely explicit, but nothing someone under 13 should probably see. The language is not bad, some profanity is used time to time, but nothing bad at all. The show keeps it "Simple but significant". 5 stars. Watch.
Parent Written bylogicalboomer85 April 16, 2012

Brilliant Storytelling

This is an excellent show for Adults - very thought provoking and interesting storylines and characters that depict this era of the sixties pretty accurately - for better or worse.
Teen, 17 years old Written byEduardo Peixoto November 20, 2011

Very intelligent television

Even though smoking and drinking are very common during any episode of the show, I consider this quite appropriated for teens, due to the amount of intelligence that contains, and how positive it is for a thinking mind in formation.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byVlad19 April 4, 2010