Siblings set a positive example for preschoolers.

Parent of a 2 year old Written bymousespotter December 6, 2009
I think Max is a brat who often disobeys his sister, and sometimes wanders off on his own - not a good role model, in my opinion. After watching one episode, my 2 1/2 year old walked around in a monosyllabic trance for the rest of the night, saying "popsicle" over and over imitating Max. It was very annoying. Just like the show. itself.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byfaroffstar April 2, 2010

obnoxious and pointless

This show is truly obnoxious. My husband and I can't stand it. Every episode is exactly the same, with Ruby ignoring Max and whatever he is trying to communicate, while she does whatever it is she is trying to do with her equally annoying and dismissive friend Francine. It's no wonder that Max has no manners and is completely obnoxious, since there are no parents in this show (with the exception of an occasional cameo from Grandma) and Max is left day in and day out with Ruby.
Parent Written byBuzzgirl93 March 11, 2012

No Thanks

For a seven year old, Ruby is the most condescending, self-centered girl I've ever seen. With no parents, Max and Ruby are left to their own devices. Ruby does nothing but focus on her own goals be they baking a cake, getting a Bunny Scout merit badge or learning new dance moves. Max only wants his sisters attention and Ruby is so consumed by her own motivations that she completely disregards his feelings. Parents that think this show promotes independence are high. The only thing that this show promote is that you can get your way be being annoyingly persistent (Max) or by ignoring your siblings and focusing on yourself (Ruby). I am disappointed that Rosemary Wells would let her beautiful books be muddied by a show like this.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byAmanda D. March 19, 2011

Entertaining, but a little concerning

This show does show the consequences of misbehavior, but it has always bothered me that they depict Ruby, 8, as the parent to Max, 3, and grandma only shows up occasionally. I feel that the lack of parents encourages children's defiance at an early age because Ruby is independent.
Parent of a 2, 4, 10, and 11 year old Written bybpm01 December 11, 2010

Boring but sweet

It is pretty boring but the characters are sweet. My 2 year-old really likes it.
Adult Written byThatRussianYakAttack November 30, 2009
I personally think Ruby pushes Max around too much and has a bit too much pride for a little bunny. She always thinks she is right and acts as if she is perfect. This results in her bullying Max in just the slightests ways and teaches kids to be too confident to the point where they're haughty.
Parent Written byMommy2two August 22, 2011

Pointless and odd....not a fan.

I suppose I just do not understand what positive message children are supposed to take from this show. Ruby is a kid, who has tea parties with her friends..however, she has to care for her little Brother Max? Cook, clean, bath him, play the role of Mommy & Daddy all while trying to be a child herself. Then the occasional 'pop-in' from Grandma, but only to ask Ruby to make her some food? Max is a brat, no wonder Ruby has such a bad attitude and ignores him..SHE IS A KID!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byGoodSSJ June 17, 2011

Parents Hate Baby Shows

Why Do Parents Hate Baby Shows?I Know It's Because They Don't Enjoy What Their Young Kids Are Watching
Parent of a 2, 3, 11, and 13 year old Written bypaul946 August 21, 2009

This program seems agenda driven to empower girls by emasculating boys.

I only found one other review that was close to what I saw when I watched this with my daughter. In case Max hasn't figured it out he is the lowest rung on the ladder. Max is completely dependent on the female characters in the show. He is normally portrayed as less intelligent than the females. The only times the show gives him any intelligence is when he is being mischevious. He also has has no moral authority. If you watch the show for a time you'll see Max is usually wrong regardless of the episode. When the females are wrong it is because they have neglected their caregiving duties (because Max is always dependent on females). It's like watching a mystery movie on the Lifetime Network. It's not a puzzle, the male character did it. So in this world Ruby or the other females are nearly always right, except when they are not good mommies. Max is nearly always wrong. Ruby is smarter. Max is dumb until he applies himself properly to evil. Ruby has the power and Max is dependent with no power. The people who wrote and produced this have serious issues. I see a Patrick listed as a writer and wonder how any self-respecting male could condone let alone write something like this for children. I watch other programs with my daughter and hate it when girls are shown subservient and inferior. The idea that my girls have less to contribute simply because they are girls is ridiculous. The people who make those shows I would imagine are normally closed-minded but ignorant of their prejudices. They seem to lack an agenda. This program seems agenda driven to empower girls by emasculating boys.
Parent Written byjbj6 June 15, 2011
Parent of a 4 year old Written byallikai April 27, 2010

not good for any age unless max and rubys parents come out of their room or wherever they are

It is clear that Max and Ruby do not have parents. Their grandmother lives down the street and Ruby is always at home taking care of Max all alone. I'm starting to believe that Max is Rubys son. Television shows for children should portray an ideal realistic life not a pre-teen rabbit constantly taking care of her brother/ son day and night. Max and Rubys parents should be present the negative message being sent is that its ok to be home alone without your parents 24/7
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written byJessshue February 10, 2011

Not a good example setter

Though my kids enjoy this show, I find it annoying and I don't like the message it sends across. Ruby is supposed to be max's older sister, but she is clearly the one in charge of him as there are no parents in the picture (which I find somewhat disturbing because I would guess ruby is supposed to be around 7 or 8 years old). The whole show is based around max disobeying ruby as he attempts to communicate to her what he wants. Then it always ends with max ironically getting his way. The only reason I occasionally allow this show I. The house is because I use it as an example of how max is being naughty by disobeying ruby and how he could get hurt by not listening. Now at least my kids see that max disobeys ruby a lot and that is bad.
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byWittleness December 11, 2009
Adult Written bykeeyan January 28, 2012

max and ruby is good but not for little kids

this movie is bad for the kids under the age of 19
Parent of a 2 year old Written bychrisilowe April 7, 2010
At first glance, this show did show me some concern... with Ruby always watching max and being the "typical" older sister and with their being no parents Max is left mostly by himself to play while Ruby does her own thing, or with her friend Francine. In most episodes it shows Max's character disobeying but in the end coming out triumphant due to whatever events transpire throughout the episode, its then I noticed this show leans towards "objectionable" views rather than constructional ones that play out in the end, which to me inspires independent thinking. However for a 2 year old... like my son, not be such a great thing "objecting" to his mommy.
Adult Written byAl Jackson April 18, 2012

It's OK.

This show isn't bad.For instancethe voice acting is pretty good.So is the music.It's just this I hate Ruby.She is such a big fat jerk to Max.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bylifeincircuit July 8, 2009

Confusing, but sweet!

I have to admit that max and ruby is a little weird. Like mentioned, the only adult figure is the grandma, and she does not live with them. They're always going places(like the mall) without adults, and I believe ruby(the eldest) is supposed to be six. Weird! That said, It's an absolutely precious series. My kids both adore it. It's a great model for them to follow and I really think it does help my eldest to see how her and her brother should get along. She's also picked up some cute language habits from ruby(very proper). Overall, I love it.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bycherbear86 December 8, 2009

Max & Ruby is a horrible show!!!

I can not stand this show!!!!! Ruby is way too bossy and mean to Max. Its only teaching older kids to be mean and bossy to the younger siblings. This show should really be discontinued.
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

very good

A very nice program with nicely drawn characters
Parent Written byJenniferMarksNC December 4, 2012

Bad example -- Ruby is a Bully

Show is not positive role model for kids -- Ruby is pushy and bossy to everyone friends & brother. Max doesn't stand up for himself and is always getting his feelings hurt.