Siblings set a positive example for preschoolers.

Adult Written byFilmutante April 9, 2008

Better for slightly older Pre-schooler

Falls short of the series of books that it is based on by Rosemary Wells. It is gentle- but has the annoying habits of re-inforcing gender stereo-types as well as the superiority of older siblings. We like the pace and subtle humor. The show is written to amuse both adults and children.
Parent of an infant, 1, 4, 11, and 18+ year old Written byAdrianna R. August 12, 2016

What the heck....?

Where are the parents? Is Ruby really his mom?
Kid, 10 years old June 12, 2014

ages 10+

ages 10+ years
Teen, 13 years old Written byryan_secrest October 13, 2014

THIS IS THE BEST SHOW EVER MADE

THIS IS QUALITY TELEVISION OK IT'S AMAZING KIDS OF ALL AGE AND ADULTS TOO SHOULD ENJOY THIS SHOW BECAUSE IT'S A GIFT FROM HEAVEN!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old May 2, 2013

Terrible Show For Youngsters, There Are Much Better Options.

This is my younger siblings favorite tv program, and I am forced to watch it with them at least once a day, and let me tell you, when you're forced to watch the EXACT same episode again, amd again, you start notcing things. So, without further adieu, here is my review: EDUCATIONAL VALUE: Before every episode, there is an educational value label that is displayed for the parents. It states that when children watch Max and Ruby, they learn to recognize and handle their feelings. A very important thing for vey young children to learn, but I don't think that this is displayed in the most effective manner. Specific music plays when different emotions are expressed with the characters, so feelings are definitely recognized, but as for handling them, that's a different story. The chaacters often (but not always) make bad choices based on their decision, and they rarely seem to learn their lesson. POSITIVE MESSAGES: Most episodes don't really have a good moral. One seven minute segment featured Ruby helping Max clean his room (how exciting) and whenever Ruby finds trash, she puts it in a bucket. When Ruby isn't looking, Max sticks the trash into his shirt pocket. At the end, Ruby realizes Max's shirt pocket is full of something, then Max reveals all of the trash in his pocket by dumping it on the floor. That's it, that was an entire seven minute segment that a group of people worked to make. No real message in that episode. That was just one example, this series has been running since 2002 (wih a 3-year hiatus in the middle of its run), why is this series so popular? It's boring and bland! Why do kids and parents like this show? (Sigh) Let's move on. POSITIVE ROLE MODELS: Ruby is, well, think of a 6-year-old girl who watches shows about high school "drama" meant for girls twice her age. That sums up the character of Ruby. She's bossy, flirtatious, gossipy, clueless of her younger brother's intentions, thinks she knows everything, and an overall unlikeable character, she's also a complete "girly-girl" stereotype. Anything intended for girls, she likes, anything intended for boys she thinks is gross, or uninteresting. As for Max, he's also a stereotype. Only, a stereotype of young boys, rather than girls. Pretty much every character on this show is a flat, bland, stereotype. There are also no adult figures for the titicular characters (except the grandmother, who lives a few blocks away) so Ruby acts as Max's guardian. The serie's creator states that Max and Ruby's parents do live with them, but then how come their are only two bedrooms upstairs, and the only clue to their existance is a picture in the living room that seems to include a mother and father figure? Max and Ruby's parents are never even MENTIONED in the show let alone SEEN! Therefore, the serie's creator is full of it. SEXUAL CONTENT: Nothing too objectionable, however, Ruby and her friend constantly flirt with a (clearly uninterested) boy named Roger (All are 6-years-old by the way). With children as young as 3 watching this show, some are bound to start copying this. That's all I have to say about the content, now I'm going to focus on the quality: STORY: Almost every episode pretty much starts out as the same script: Max keeps doing something that annoys Ruby, Ruby keeps telling Max to stop and/or direct him to something else that only worsens the problem, and in the end Max's mess-ups end up helping Ruby, and she ends up looking foolish. These plots are often contrived and laced with a lot of filler dialogue and dragged out scenes to fill a seven minute time slot. Other episodes are even MORE basic than that! The writing of the episodes are also very poor. Sometimes the things the characters say are redundant, or worse. VOICE ACTING: The voice acting for the most part is decnt enough, except when it comes to the Ruby. Both of the voice actresses who voiced Ruby have done a terrible job. Their voices are COMPLETELY monotone. Siri has a more expressive voice than Ruby. One of them won an BAFTA for a role they played! If they could have been good enough to win a major award, they definitely could have shown the tiniest bit of emotion when playing Ruby. Also, I don't know WHO they're trying to fool, Ruby sounds more like a 30-year-old than a 6-year-old. Her voice is much too deep, and her vocabulary is much too large. They might as well have cast a man to play Ruby, it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference. Also, the former voice actress of Ruby kept changing how the character sounded through out different episodes. Pretty inconsistent. SOUND: In the earlier seasons of the show, the sound effects fit the art style very well, the show wasn't very over-the-top and cartoony, therefore, the sound effects weren't either. However, (this is a problem throughout the shows run), the sound editing is mediocre. There are times when characters will pronounce an unusual word wrong, and a character who has just learned the word, will say it correctly. For example, in one episode, someone is talking about origami, but pronounces it ORI-GAMMY. After hearing the word for the first time, Ruby pronounces it correctly. This causes a continuity error. No one on the sound team bothered to tell the voice actor that she pronounced the line wrong, and instead were too lazy to do so, and used the line. Now onto a problem that only occurs in the later seasons of the show: the sound effects are too over-the-top for the animation style. They will use sound effects like cowbells, ricochets, and wa-wa trumpets that wouldn't be out of place in a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Want to know why it works in Tom and Jerry and not in this? In Tom and Jerry, the characters are SUPPOSED to act over-the-top, and actions are exaggerated to such a degree that unrealistic sound effects must be used to capture the zaniness and slapstick. In Max and Ruby however, nothing is over-the-top or cartoony, and it's much closer to real life than Tom and Jerry. Heck, if the world were populated by humans and not bunnies, it would be JUST like real life. Therefore, you need to have realistic sound effects to match this style. You cannot use a ricochet sound for a character that's casually walking. It just looks uncanny. ANIMATION: Where do I even begin? HORRIBLE!!! This is some of the worst computer animation I've ever seen put into a professional production, and this show is from Canada, they produce some of the best computer animations I've ever seen! Max and Ruby is NOT one of them. The animators tend to take lazy short cuts such as rotating limbs 360 degrees during the same shot to get them where they need to be, getting physics messed up, messing up lip synching, changing faces in an instant, and perhaps the worst of all; LACK OF FACIAL EXPRESSIONS!!! This show is literally about recognizing and handling emotions, and with a show where the main character is more monotoned than Siri, the least you can do, is give the character a facial expression that matches the emotion they SHOULD be expressing through their voice. Nope! The animators end up giving the characters little to no expression in their face for the most part, and when the animator wakes up, and FINALLY thinks to themselves, "Hey, maybe she should look like THIS here." They even mess THAT up! Most significant expressions shown by the characters end up looking like something found on the internet when googling "funny faces". Overall, this show is an abomination. Never should have lasted a whole episode rather than a whopping 5 SEASONS!!! That's a long time for a show to run, like really? Why do kid's like this show? It's boring, it's bland, it's pointless. Just... Why?
Kid, 11 years old October 16, 2011

Not a good show

I think the show is adorible, but it does have falts. Like that Ruby is the big sister, but she is like the mother of Max, when she is only like 7. Their house is always a mess, and the end of every show Max makes Ruby look stupid. Example Max smased a bunch of cookies that Ruby was selling, and she very upset, but when they sold the cookies the woman was acctualy HAPPY that the cookies were smashed and praised Max. Max is always dirty. Ruby takes HUGE responobility for Max that she oviosly can't handle because of Max will grow up spiled and ill manered. Don't watch this!!!!
Parent of a 1 and 2 year old Written byazmendozafamily... July 6, 2009

Light-hearted kid fare

My kids are just 14 months apart, so it's nice for them to see how two siblings get along well together. Ruby sometimes seems a little bossy in her insistance of having Max do what she wants, but not at all mean.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byomommie June 9, 2009
Adult Written byouarda April 9, 2008
Adult Written byprismamoon April 9, 2008

My daughter and I love to watch it together!

My daughter and I have been watching Max and Ruby together since she was two (she entered first grade this year) and we still love it. Max is quite a little trouble maker and Ruby, his very patient older sister, is a good example for older siblings. My favorite part of the show is that, in most episodes, Ruby makes a rather narrow-mided assumption about how things should be done, but eventually realizes that there are other ways to get things done through her little brother's mischievous interference. I think there are lessons in this show for people of all ages, and the toe-tapping jazz soundtrack makes it loads of fun!
Teen, 15 years old Written byReallife May 20, 2016

Sexist

I have a 6 year old brother who watches this program. My family and I have forbidden him from watching it after little debate. I have seen so many cartoons and I would like to guarantee you that this is by far the most disgustingly sexist one of them all. It is genuinely disturbing and I don't even believe it should be shown. My brother has developed a sexist opinion, and as a psychology student I know this is common at their age; However, I can tell you that even though young children do usually develop sexist views, my brother - who we have grown up to be corrected whenever saying anything sexist - has started expressing these views far more ever since starting to watch this cartoon. It is sick. Honestly, teach your kids not to adapt sexist views and try to shut these down early. Max and Ruby makes my whole family dissapointed in the media.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMaya16 September 20, 2015

Great TV show about siblings

This is a relaxing TV show for little kids that will not get on parents nerves. It is not annoying like most modern nick jr or pbs kids shows.
Kid, 10 years old March 23, 2014

THIS SHOW IS A GREAT SHOW FOR PRE-SCHOOLERS!

Max and Ruby is really a cute show! I used to watch it! It's gentle for 2-year-olds to understand everything, but not too slow.
Teen, 17 years old Written byILoveTacoBell September 19, 2013

This is bad.

Ruby is not a good role model. She is WAY too bossy. Her friends are stupid and this show is not good at all. The animation is just blurry.
Teen, 13 years old Written byExtremeAlex77 February 20, 2013

Not A Role Model!

Did their parents die of a heart attack or something? My 6 and 5 year old brother and sister watched this show once and they hate it! The Boy Rabbit is always naked which is REALLY distracting to kids. This show should honestly be on adult swim on cartoon network.
Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2012

bbbbooorrriiinnngg

this show is so dumb and boring even for preschoolers and they have no parents! except sometimes they get visits from grandma plus Max only says one word throughout the entire show and Ruby's friend Francine is always complimenting her on everything she does which is very annoying
Kid, 8 years old March 6, 2011

Ok

Few Things you might want to watch out for... Make sure your Kids Do not RESPOND To the behaver...
Adult Written bySSburk April 9, 2008

Big Sis Loves Little Brother

My daughter wishes she had a little brother and she loves the way Ruby treats Max. She helps him and keeps from getting mad. He is a handful but she seems to be able to handle it all. Katie feels like a big girl pretending to be Ruby and she loves to repeat the story to me later. Very Sweet.
Adult Written byComicCandy . January 7, 2017

Great compared to "Caillou"

This show has gotten a lot of controversy for Max only saying words. I think that the team making this show are now aware of it so they made him speak sentences. This show has way more educational value than Caillou. When Max does something wrong Ruby tries her best to stop his actions while also teaching that you can't always be so strict (like Ruby) because at the end, Max is trying to help Ruby. "Caillou" does not teach children anything. No it does not teach to deal with emotions. Caillou is a whiny brat that screams. Max is a child trying to help Ruby with her problems but not the best way because he is a young child. This show has a unique feel to its animation with 2D-like CG backgrounds and hand drawn animation. The character design is not the best as every character is a bunny with different colors and minor facial differences. The story obviously isn't consistent each episode. In the latest season, the parents appear without any reason. Overall, I'd give it 4 stars.
Teen, 14 years old Written byIt's so underrated December 13, 2016

Cute but really annoying...

It's cute, but for older siblings...super annoying. Max gets his way in the end by driving Ruby crazy and Ruby needs a lesson in humility. And the worst part is that kids learn if they do this they can get their way in the end!