All member reviews for Merlin

Fresh take on legendary wizard is fun, if not truly magical.

Teen, 16 years old Written byveils July 10, 2011

The Best Show, Just Watch It

Merlin is good old British television and if you read a lot of audience reviews, you'll read a lot of good things, at least I did. This show is amazing, it blew my mind and it was also my first British show. Yeah it doesn't follow the legend, big deal, if you want the legend read some books on it or watch movies like Excalibur. But Merlin hasn't abandon all elements of the legend and what's really nice is the fact that the writers attempt to break all stereotypes of the legend, for example Morgan le fay is portrayed as a strong woman who will eventually become evil. My favorite parts of the show are the actors, costumes, and sets. Yeah the effects are really bad but just ignore them and focus on the story. The show is addicting and it keeps getting better and better from the first episode. You will really get connected to the characters, for me, I fell in love with all of them. But just to warn you, season 3 is awful. I chose "12" because there is blood, swordfighting, romance, drinking, and language. I'm a bit confused as to why some people chose "7", "8", etc because the way it's filmed is not suited for kids and it does have elements kids shouldn't see like the blood and i do remember NBC having a TV-14 rating on certain episodes like gates of avalon, excalibur, the beginning of the end, etc. But Merlin is actually at it's best when it's more "mature"
Teen, 16 years old Written byJ-Yo June 30, 2011

A Force for Good.

Merlin is a show where magic is prominent- and I love it. It's an enthralling story of Arthur and Merlin in their early years and how traditional Arthurian legend came to be. The characters undergo a lot of complex changes, like how Arthur becomes less of a sarcastic prat, but Morgana is constantly lied to and becomes the infamous Morgana le Fey. One of the main lessons is that magic can indeed be a force for good. This is a tale about loyalty and friendship in their truest forms. Now that the final episode has aired, I cannot help but comment on how wonderful of a journey it's been. I love everything about Merlin– it has its cheesy moments, yes, but it's so much fun! Thank you, Merlin, for reinventing the legends to create something that is unique, refreshing, entertaining, and inspiring. This show is a force for good.
Adult Written byJacieDaize October 18, 2011

BBC Merlin TV Series

There is a lot of killing in it and some episodes do have really bad swear words. Also there are some sexual references in a few episodes but not many. Low cut dresses are almost constant.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJulia from Sweden November 13, 2010

Not a very good show. Has but one good actor.

A fresh take on the story, and buffy-style monsters would have made this show fun to watch, had it not been for the HORRIBLE script. Everything you see in this show has already been seen before in Smallville or Buffy (which, thanks to it's brilliant script, is probably the best show ever). The only thing raising Merlin from shame is anthony head's sometimes brilliant character portrayal. Besides that, it's just not worth watching. It's too similar to the extremely bad show "legend of the seeker". Watch Buffy or Harry Potter 2 instead.
Parent of a 1 and 9 year old Written bySteffauri516 March 23, 2012

Brilliant series, some scary scenes

I started watching this BBC series when it first premiered on the Syfy channel several years ago and I love it! I have two kids, ages 1 and 8 and I probably wouldn't let my oldest watch it just yet. The show isn't that violent, but this is a series set in the middle ages, so there are plenty of sword fights, arrow shootings, and hand to hand combat. However, there is rarely any blood ever shown, though if a character is injured the cuts and bruises are present. The only other issue I have is with the swearing, although it is very minor, and not very frequent, words like d**n and h**l are used. Apart from those minor hang-ups, I highly recommend this show for preteens and adults alike. For anyone who is a fan of the King Arthur/Camelot stories, this series is a fresh, vivid, and imaginative take on the classics. The role models are positive, engaging and humorous, and preach messages of positive change in humanity and that good always triumphs over evil. I'd recommend it for anyone 12 and up.
Kid, 10 years old April 19, 2011

great!

this is age appropriate, but i chose 10+ because things can scare people under 10 and that it might be a bit too boring for under 10
Parent of a 8 year old Written bytjones0214 February 16, 2011

Great Intro to Classic Fantasy Fiction

Good take on the Arthur story. We've supplemented with "King Arthur and His Knights" by Howard Pyle. Good way to introduce differences in fiction. I'm on the border with the violence and some of the creature effects; however, both tend to be overshadowed by the positive and classic 'good vs. evil' role played out by the characters. From a Christian perspective, magic is presented as "...the old religion" but it is shown as being "practiced" and not worshiped. I would watch at least a few episodes so that you can address any concerns.
Parent of a 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bymikeslie June 16, 2010
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bybrown_eyed_girl February 24, 2013

Think Smallville meets the Round Table

Merlin is a fun fantasy romp, with some seasons and some episodes being more suitable for younger children than others. Each episode has the obligatory sword fight featuring the knights of Camelot and someone is in danger from sorcerers (both good and bad it sometimes seems) at some point in each episode, which might be more dramatic tension than some youngsters can handle. As the seasons progress, the show does get darker as the evil forces gather strength to threaten Prince Arthur and Camelot. The fight scenes become more graphic and disturbing in season 4. Also through the seasons we see the development of Merlin, as he gains more skill and confidence, and Arthur, as he begins to question his father's beliefs and stand up for what he feels is right. The relationship between the two young men starts out strained but soon becomes very close, even if Arthur can never quite allow himself as king to be truly friends with a servant and Merlin can never quite come to terms with allowing others to take the credit for his deeds done in secret for the greater good. One of my favorite aspects of the show is how every episode characters question what they have been told is the right thing to do vs. what they feel and believe is right - there is always a tension between duty and tradition vs. treating people with kindness and respect (with the latter always winning out in the end). I think Bradley James (Arthur) is an amazing actor - he's at turns an insufferable brat, a bully, a soldier willing to lay his life down for his men, a comedian, a son staggering under the weight of his father's expectations, and a man willing to give up everything for true love. By the end of the series you can't help but root for him and for Merlin every step of the way, even if many of the Arthurian characters in the TV show aren't quite true to the traditional legends. Beginning in season 3, there are several instances of chaste kissing between Arthur and his love. Knights are occasionally shown shirtless after an injury or w/o pants (bare legs but with long tunics) for comic effect, some of the dresses are low cut but otherwise nothing racy. The language is very mild - when irritated with each other, Merlin calls Arthur a "clotpole" and Arthur often calls him an "idiot". People are sometimes drinking from metal goblets at feasts and a few references to taverns, but there's rarely anything obviously alcoholic. More often people are given "potions" either for medicinal purposes or when one of the bad guys is attempting to harm Arthur or someone inside Camelot.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bySnoozhe March 1, 2012

One of the best family shows available right now!

My husband and I watch this show regularly, and our kids occasionally--but this is because we have a 5 and 8 year old and they are frightened by some of the monsters. We have let them watch some of the more funny episodes. The story is fun, the acting is good and you are excited to watch the next one. There is violence, but mostly sword fighting and no gore. Of course, there is romance--but in a mostly very clean way. There are great themes of loyalty, tolerance, and courage in a fictional setting. Why isn't there more tv available like this? Watch the series from the start on Netflix. Beware if you record this on SyFy, the previews for the other shows are NOT kid appropriate.
Parent Written bytreat02 February 26, 2012

violence.....scary....language.....

it is quite violent. It does have scary images and poison. This does have some disturbing deaths, wounds, and other things that children may not be able to see. There is not much language a couple of uses of "hell" in some episodes, otherwise this is a good series.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMerlinFan August 1, 2011

My favorite show!

This is my FAVORITE show! It's incredibly entertaining, ridiculously funny, and a great family show. Its so educational as well. I find myself wanting to read more about the Arthurian legend, and I am learning about so many characters. Violence is popular but not bloody, and usually more funny than scary. The charatcters (besides Uther and Morgana after season 2) show a kind heart and always do whats right. It's perfect for 11 and up, and probably even 10 year olds. Love it!!! *Colin Morgan (Merlin) is sooo hot!*
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byblissful June 14, 2010

Slightly violent, but a good message

We recently started letting the boys watch this show with us, and while it does get violent at times, it's not gory or gratuitous. The "bad" guys are terrible role models, of course, but it's clear that they're the bad guys. Merlin himself is a gentle soul who always does the right thing, and his mentor Gaius is noble and good. Arthur is a brat, but he is also a generally good person who struggles with his father's occasional cruelty. The characters are well-developed and our kids get the overall message, which is that black-and-white thinking is bad, and that as long as something is used for good, noble and honorable purposes, it's good. There are also strong messages about how a leader should treat his people kindly and with respect (Uther does not, but Arthur calls him out on it frequently, and it's clear that he will be a great king someday because he is kind and good). Our kids love magic and sorcery, and Merlin is a good role model for them because he struggles but he always makes the right choices in the end in spite of outside influences. We like the fact that Merlin must sometimes wrestle with his conscience and make tough choices. We like our boys to know that it's not always going to be easy to make the right choices, and that the power to do the right thing comes from within, and what you know to be right and true and just.
Kid, 12 years old January 6, 2013

BEST T.V. SHOW!

The best T.V. show ever! They have four seasons on Netflix and all seasons for no charge on youtube. I think that many people will enjoy this show. Many episodes are very humorous! It's a little iffy for kids 8- but tweens and teens will especially love it! The only language is a rare D**n. There is little romance. But in one show there is a lot of "humorous" kissing . Nothing much though!
Adult Written byZonoya February 1, 2012

for kids

I love the dragon
Teen, 13 years old Written byChloe98 August 16, 2011

Absolutely fantastic!

I absolutely adore this show more than anything! It has amazing story lines full of magic, magical beasts, sword fighting and great characters! It brings you a new take on an old legend. There is violence but it's nothing to worry too much about. The language is absolutely fine and so is the romance.
Teen, 15 years old Written byChristian gurl July 26, 2011

nice and easy

the main problem, is violence( thats the only issue, and fights just come up once in a while), a few uses of "da*n and H*ll, otherwise, it's very entertaining, much less scary than harry potter. some characters (Trolls, monsters, etc.) might scare younger kids
Kid, 10 years old February 14, 2011

Love it!!!!!!

Omg I love this show!!!!! It's educational I never knew about king Arthur until I watched Avlon high (wich is about king Arthur and Camelot) then my dad told me about Merlin at first I thought eww I won't like this but I ended up loving it. There's some blood and violence but nothing bad. I totally recommend it!
Parent Written byLeeDensmer March 20, 2015

Outstanding for kids and parents

As a family, we loved this series. We were sad when it ended. The characters are great and each episode has adventure, magic, bad guys and friendships. The message is loyalty, friendship, hard work. It seems relatively historicalky accurate so kids can learn about the castle times. After we watched and episode we would relive it and talk about it until the next one. It is so hard to find series that both parents and kids look forward to watching. New haven't found one like this before or since. Btw, my son is 9. No swearing, there is romance and a few kisses but nothing more, it is not too scary or violent but there are some ghosts and some battles. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Adult Written byphillycream2005 February 7, 2015

we need a season 6 BBC

when it's getting I don't like how it ended right when it's getting started it was just getting good please send us a season 6 we need it Merlin's biggest fan Philip Bailey