All member reviews for Misfits

Grim antiheroes make addicting TV but terrible role models.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLtCentaur November 11, 2011

Misfits- Good For Older Teens, But Watch Out In Some Episodes

I am certainly below the normal age group for Misfits, but that doesn't mean it is not a great show. Misfits is a British comedy-drama about five youth doing community payback who develop superpowers while caught in a freak hail storm. Our main characters include(and are well portrayed by):Nathan(Robert Sheehan), an annoying, get in your face, but hilarious boy who brings up humor in the most intense situations, Curtis(Nathan Stewarrt-Jarret), a former athlete who I think is actually very caring for others, Simon(Iwan Rheon), a very shy socially awkward young man who loves making videos, Alisha, (Antonia Thomas) a girl who loves being the center of attention, and Kelly(Lauren Socha), a girl who does not like being messed with. After ending up in community service, they all get caught in a freak hail storm, and gain interesting super powers. They are not the only ones to gain powers though... The gang ends up in very diverse situations, and through this, there is action, violence, mystery, drama, and a little romance. The content though, is very strong. Every episode contains strong language, mostly on Nathan's part, and sexual references. Almost every episode contains kissing at the least, but in one episode, there is upper nudity on screen with a woman, and three episodes contain the backside nudity of our three main male characters. Drugs and alcohol are seen frequently on screen, and not just social drinking is present. However, in all of this, older teens will certainly love seeing the relationships grow, action and mystery grow more intense, and Nathan's hilarious quotes will certainly bring laughs a plenty. I give Misfits 4/5 stars, and the Pause for 15 and older.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheBabblingBrooke April 11, 2012

Love this show, I'm a teen.

This show is hilarious. I'm 14 in 13 days. I get all of the jokes and LOVE this show. Obviously the characters in this show are not ones to follow. Not appropriate for anyone who is not a teen.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjeezyk112 July 18, 2011

Bad language, good story line.

This show is really, really great. The language is a huge issue as stated. A woman's breasts are shown in full view, nude. Long story short, be very careful if you decide to allow your kids to watch this show.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjade1999 February 9, 2014

Good show

I am 14 and i love this show, it has a good story line, but beware there is A LOT of swearing, sexual scenes, nudity, murder, violence etc. I would recommend this to older teens because of all of that, but also because i don't think that many people who are younger than about 12 will get some of the sexual comedy they use in it. It is set in my country (Britain) and is basically about 5 young people, Nathan, a witty guy who always has some sort of sex related thing to say, Curtis, a former Olympic runner who was caught for using drugs, Kelly, a nice girls who covers herself up by acting like a foul mouthed chav, Alisha, a overly confident sex addict and Simon, a awkward and shy guy who just wants to fit in, who are serving their community service in a rough estate where they all live, when they are hit by a freak storm and soon realise they have all developed superpowers. Its not a cheesy superhero kind of thing it sounds like because during the storm their probation officer turns crazy and they have to murder him in self defense. Their lives soon spiral out of control after that when the now dead probation officer's fiancee takes his job and wants answers. This show is a mixture of murder, crime, drugs, time travel, sex, relationships and pretty much anything else you can think of. Overall, a great and interesting show:)
Teen, 16 years old Written byanon123 March 9, 2012

Overt Sexuality Detracts from Great Plot

The show is great in my opinion. That is, the development of characters, the overall plot and premise, and amazing humor weaved into the hour long show. and that's all from just one episode - the pilot. However, the overt sexuality, nudity, and language detract from what the show could have been. The language is unfathomable and the depictions on-screen intercourse or the obvious visual references to sex is appalling in my opinion (I know this because I saw previews of other episodes). Though I loved the story line, it wasn't enough for me to sit through the rest of a series filled with such explicit content. I believe the sexual graphics depicted cross into or otherwise over the R rating used for movies in America. I definitely do not recommend it for kids, not unless over 18. If I was a parent, there would be no way I would let my kid watch this. That being said, other people may have different opinions but this is respectfully mine. In conclusion, I can't deny that the show is great and it's one of the funniest things I've seen, but I just cannot overlook the inappropriateness.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadeliina April 25, 2014

I really like this show, but some parts are bit inappropriate to kids my age. For most parts the show is ok for bit younger but it also contains drugs, sex, brutal violence, sex, and swearing.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycastielsies March 7, 2013

Best show everrrrrr!!

I just thought I had to say something here. The website says Misfits isn't for kids, but trust me, it's probably fine if you're 15 or older. It's not like people my age haven't seen all this stuff (especially if you regularly use tumblr.) All I'm saying is, as long as you can separate fantasy from real life, you won't be affected by the "bad messages." And besides, the "bad language" and all the sex really just makes the show that more REAL. Like ... hey, this is stuff that's happening all around you, people do this stuff, you've probably done it too, so why are you afraid to see it in a TV show? That's just my opinion on it. Also, the show is so hilarious and fun and just overall amazing! I watched it over a weekend and did absolutely nothing else. I don't thin I've ever become so immersed in a show in so little time. It would be my favorite show if the cast hadn't been completely replaced. Why would you decide not to watch it just because there's some explicit content? Seriously, it's a great show and you're really missing out on it if you don't. (But please take my advice - don't watch it with your parents or anything. Watch it alone. On Hulu. With headphones. You'll thank me later.)
Teen, 17 years old Written byglendoflump June 16, 2015

Hilarious and graphic

Misfits is really, really funny. The whole show is very violent and crude, but a teen should be able to handle it. I watched this show at 15 and found it shocking more than scary. I would say 15 year olds who are not sensitive to gore could probably handle it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWinchester_Misfits November 29, 2014

Awesome show, but...

To be honest, I probably shouldn't be watching this at my age. There is a lot of, well, everything you wouldn't want your kids to see. However, it is a great show! I love it, and I think and maybe 14 or 15 up would be fine watching it. The sex/nudity, while fairly graphic, is quite rare. The swearing is constant, but it loses it;s shock factor after pretty much the first episode, along with the violence and gore (not that there is much gore). There's also some drinking and drugs but that's not particularly a main issue.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykjhebb October 16, 2014

Discuss topics with younger children before hand

If you're going to let and under 16 watch this show, they should bc absolutley fine but it may be worth discussing certain issues and behaviours with them before hand. Swearing is frequent and strong (pretty quickly it loses it's shock factor) and casual sex and drug use happen pretty much every episode. The sex scenes are not overly graphic but you do see a fair amount - you may want to talk to your child about the risks of casual and unprotected sex. One character frequently smokes pot and other drugs are often taken at parties, alcohol is prevalent. Again, you may want to discuss the risks of these behaviours. Violence is sort of frequent, getting worse after the first season, but is often played with a comical/darkly funny spin and is usually punches or a bit of blood rather than excessive blood and guts.
Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014

Very strong language a sexual content
Teen, 14 years old Written bysimonakg August 14, 2014

Mature characters

The series contains many different characters. The loners, jokers and the desperate. I watched this show when I was about 12 years old, and I thought it was a great show. Very well made, exciting and most of the characters ARE mature. The plot is mature. Though, the only thing that bothered me was the very honest sex scene/s. The language is bad, but it's nothing that somebody 13 and older can't handle. I've only watched first and a bit of second season, but I don't think it should be disallowed for anyone who is 13 or older. It's a good show, with a bit too much of a show when it comes to sex scenes. It also depends very much on whether the child is mature itself, but anyone I know who is 13+ could watch this, and I do recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMickeyMilkovichBabe August 11, 2014

LOVEEE ITT!

I was 13 when I watched this and I would say 14 and up for this one. Not as bad as others I have watched however some nudity and lots of swearing.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymisfits1013 March 16, 2013

Awesome show! But not for kids!

I LOVE this show. I started watching it when I was 14 on Hulu. I was taken aback at the content at first, but it doesn't really surprise you anymore after the first few episodes. First thing to know is, it totally depends on the maturity of the teen watching. There are no positive role models at all in this show. Violence is quick but brutal. The characters kill (in self defense) a handful of people including their probation workers. They also don't grieve over this much. Characters curse constantly and are very vulgur. But the main concern in this show is the sexual content. I personally would never let my kids or young teens watch such things. Aside from all this, it's a great show. Just don't let it influence your behavior in the real world.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylalalala87 June 16, 2012

Know your kid ...

This is a really great show, but lacks any positive messages and there are very few role models. The main characters are young people sentenced to community service who obtain superpowers from a freak storm. It is gripping and addictive, and some of the more minor characters (probation workers, volunteers, Nathan's mother, etc) are well meaning, decent role models. However, the main characters are not role models. I don't have a problem with that because they aren't meant to be role models at all, but some people may not be. There are some sex scenes and intense violence, but overall this show is probably OK for mature 13/14 year olds who won't have nightmares about it and for older teens.