Witty crime drama too highbrow for most kids.

Kid, 12 years old January 16, 2011

A bit scary at times, but very enjoyable

Although I find myself cover my eyes as the victims are murdered, it isn't only about that. It is also about Mr. Monk and his trials and tributes as a lonely mega-phobe. His wife was murdered and he takes it upon himself to figure out who did it until his last breath. The writers are absolute geniuses. You would have to be extremely smart in order to write these crime shows with clever solutions. I absolutely adore this show!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byZebra_Girl July 31, 2010

Love it!

I LOVE this T.V. show! It has a great combination of comedy and suspense. I love this series, but sadly it starts deteriorating in the quality on the 7th season, but its still watchable. I started watching at age 9, and I loved it. I still do.
Educator and Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byclcfh August 25, 2012

Some episodes seem fine for a younger audience, with parental guidance

I'm usually pretty cautious about television, and sometimes prefer to wait beyond the ages recommended here, but I'm often OK with letting my almost 10 year old watch pre-screened episodes of Monk with me. Monk is an imperfect hero, which gives us plenty to talk about. We've also looked for the clues, learned new vocabulary, and discussed dated pop culture references. There are plenty of episodes without dating, realistic violence, or other questionable or worrisome topics. That said, there are also episodes where the issues are more serious, children are victims, sexual topics are featured, and the language is a bit less tame. Definitely one for parental guidance with younger viewers, but not off limits in my opinion.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byMom to Tween January 23, 2011

Not too difficult for tween to understand

I couldn't disagree more with the assessment that kids won't get the humor. That was my 10-year-old's favorite part of the show. This is a great series that will keep both mom and tween engaged with plenty to talk about and laugh over -- together. Once this series became well-known and acclaimed, in the later seasons, we have some wonderful guest actors that make it really fun. Monk is endearing and in no way over a tween's head.
Adult Written byJennie Whitcomb April 9, 2008

Quirky characters who care for each other

While the opening "set up" scene often involves a violent crime, the heart of this show is the affection and empathy the characters have for one another. The characters accept one another's foibles and truly care for one another. These values trump the opener and occasional "swears." Plus, the dialogue is witty and the plot lines keep us all interested. This is one show that my entire family (kids 8 to 15) enjoys watching together. We all laugh out loud several times in each episode.
Kid, 11 years old November 15, 2009

AwEsOmE

This show is entertaining and i watch it every friday except that this is the last season. it's not scary att all. The only bad thing is that there is usually one murder at the beggining. The murders aren't scary at all though. I defenetly recommend this for ages 10+.
Kid, 11 years old November 13, 2009

Amazing!!! Great!!!

This is an awesome show! It's one of my favorites! It is really funny and entertaining! It is a little violent...but it is a crime show... I think this show is really good!
Teen, 13 years old Written byThinker96 September 8, 2009

WHAT?!?!?!?!

Way, way, WAY milder then when the show started. Dale the Whale is disgusting, but the murders aren't even that grisly anymore. In the 1-3seasons my family would just skip the hiccup (because it was usually that murder scene) which was fine cuz we didn't wanna know who did it anyway. Now, my 8-year-old sister can see some of the episodes. Just watch the episodes b4 your kids. It's not that bad.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 September 7, 2009

Great show for preteens and teens alike

It's your average detective show, but Monk's quirkiness and the character's humor all pull together to make a very entertaining series.
Teen, 13 years old Written byzhp7654 September 2, 2009

Very good show!!

I've seen part of it. It was Mr. Monk and the UFO. I heard them yelling, but this show is great
Kid, 9 years old August 26, 2009
very good and smart.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlackadder August 24, 2009

Obsessive. Complseve. Detective.

This is a class example of A great TV show. Monk is a detective that has been having problems since his wife, Trudy died in a car bomb accident. As he searches for the murderer of his wife, he solves murders in a genius (and witty) way. It's impossible to watch Monk blunder around and not laugh. But, with the comedy is also the kind of 'Columbo' sophistication and at times a depressing atmosphere as he remembers his wife. One of the truly great modern TV shows, and I definatly recommend it to all teens and adults.
Kid, 8 years old August 8, 2009
Teen, 13 years old Written byvsquadcheer July 24, 2009

Ah-mazing

This is the best murder/crime/detective show on! I mean, it's too bad that its in for its last season...o well... This show is ha-larious and really interesting. I've been wathing it since the third grade and have never missed and episode. All of this show is clean and fine for young kids. I really can find nothing wrong with it.
Kid, 12 years old July 14, 2009

Great for smart kids, fun for the whole family

This is my favorite show EVER! Not too violent. Violent scenes usually don't contain blood, it is the crime scenes that have it. Language is rare and mild, sometimes there are drug references only because it is a crime fiction program. The character Monk is a good role model most of the time, and each episode shows that even though he struggles from his phobias, he always stays determined and observant. Sometimes he puts aside politeness for personal reasons.(Could you please just align those flowers like...no, a little to the...wait, wait! Groups of ten!) I always enjoy trying to solve the mystery before my dad and 11-year-old sister. Monk is great family show: funny characters, tons of humor, stimulating mysteries, and virtuous morals. Not all kids will understand the jokes, but if you child is very intelligent and creative, Monk is the perfect family show that will always leave you craving more.
Teen, 16 years old Written bythissiteizretarded February 7, 2009

too awesome for words

this is one of the best shows EVER made! The witty and pathetic character of Monk teaches kids sympathy if you want educational value, but some of the content is pretty deep, especially when Adrian thinks about his wife, or the episode Mr. Monk and the kid. The violence isn't that bad, the most violent epsode is when a woman gets dismembered, but all you saw was blood splash on windows and a super-quick view of the body. (almost no gore) just watch one episode and see for yourselves.
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2009

How is this 14+?

I could not find anything bad about this show besides the violence. It's a funny TV show! It's rated TV-PG!!! If it was for 14 year olds why is it not rated TV-14?
Kid, 12 years old December 31, 2008

Iffy....

Heres the thing, (Monk quote) This show is a crime show, such as CSI and Law and Order, yet it focuses on a single detective who suffers from OCD. Since Monk deals with murders, there will be (limited) blood, dead bodies, etc. There are also a few affair episodes (such as someone killing their spouse so they can marry someone else) There is also (VERY LIMITED) sexual content/references. The language is the most iffy part of the show. Bad language is used throughout the show such as, b---h and b-----d, but also use words such as h-ll and d--m. There are also many alchohol references throughout the show. Keep in mind that the writers are also making fun of a mental illness which might be questionable for some parents. If you can get past all that, Its a wonderful and fantastic show!
Kid, 10 years old December 30, 2008

I watched this when I was 9

There is violence but it is mainly just humor.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOlafhugger October 9, 2016

Good for kids sensitive to graphic shows.

My daughter (14) and asd son (13) are both very sensitive to movies/shows with any type of frightening detail. But they love humour. This is a gentle, and very humorous look at detective work. Great who-dun-it for older children/tweens and beyond. The characters are loyal (or prove to be) they are heart-warming and very human. Monk is superb. It's also really refreshing to be able to laugh at our own mental health challenges which Tony Shaloub portrays with amazing dignity and comedy. A mix of the movie What About Bob (starring Bill Murray) and Scooby Doo really, but less scary than Scooby, lol. You'll grow to love these guys.