All member reviews for Monk

Witty crime drama too highbrow for most kids.

Kid, 12 years old August 17, 2013

Homocide Anyone?

The murders at the beginnings can be scaryish. Good for mature 8 and 9 year olds they just may not get the jokes. I love it! The acting is amazing. I absolutey love it! I love homocide shows though....
Kid, 11 years old July 25, 2013

TOTALLY EPIC, ONE OF MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITES

This show is AMAZING! I love it! Shows murder scenes and after pictures, so maybe not appropriate for younger audiences.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlueHorse July 22, 2013

Great Show-Very Funny

This show is very good. Sometimes the main character thinks only of himself. He is a total germaphobe with tons of wierd fears such as milk. But he is a positive role model because when the time comes he will go into, say, a sewer to save his assistant. I say on for 10 and up because their are some references to drinking, and sex. It is slightly violent, with occasional blood and dead bodies every episode, but I used to get afraid of murderers and this show never scared me.
Kid, 11 years old June 30, 2013

Fantastic. Obsessive. Compulsive. Detective. Watch it.

Hello, EpicBoy21, yet... AGAIN. I'm here to review the TV show Monk, and, it's really good. But Common Sense Media, not to be rude, why the "14" rating? I think from what I saw it's NOT too bad. I mean sure, sure, the deaths can get a little bad. The worst I even got a glimpse of was lots of blood. Even my younger sister watches it! She's 8! But it all depends on the episode you watch. It's anything from a shove off of a building to blood on a window. And, maybe a rumour or two about a decomposed body (never saw that one). Anyway, in the way of language, it's pretty mild, but it says the dreaded "b-word". (I don't mind language, by the way.). Sex is some mild references, drugs is ingesting poisoned food, etc. Anyway, good acting, good writing, good everything. Watch it on DVD if NBC don't re-run it. Thank you for reading.
Parent of a 8, 12, and 15 year old Written byHelen Bonder June 30, 2013

My review.

A very good show! My husband got me into this. There are small "son of a b*tch" and "d*mn you"'s in it. My 8 year old son enjoys this. I recommend this for 8+. Also some of this time when a character is murdered blood is shown. And some cases involve affairs. Oh, I forgot to mention that there is "What the h*ll" in it sometimes. However the newer ones are more children appropriate. I love every night seeing a new monk on netflix. If you like this I recommend "Psych" by the way.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShawn Lewis June 28, 2013

Monk

Good USA show, very funny and usually kid friendly. Occasional language such as SOB. Let your teen watch it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byUnknownpearson June 3, 2013

Ok

Ish-ish
Teen, 14 years old Written byploopy45 June 2, 2013

Good role models

This is a good usa show. Very good story, and very funny. Some of the murders can be quite violent, sometimes to violent for a TV-PG rated show. Some episodes are worse than others as far as language, especially Stottlemeyer likes to use SOB but unfrequently. But Monk is a very good role model for younger kids, he keeps things very clean, he dosnt swear or drink, and is still faithful to his wife even though she has been dead for over 7 years. I would let an 12 year old or a mature 11 year old watch this show.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKenzi333 May 11, 2013

OCD: Obsesive Compulsive Detective

Absolutely hilarious! Shalhoub completely deserves those two Emmys and that Golden Globe, he's amazing as Monk! There is a lot of violence, but it's never too gory. Mostly just you see the body for 30 seconds and then move on. Most 11 year-olds can handle that. Totally recommend this to anyone!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMockingjay333 April 19, 2013

Love this show

This is an amazing and hilarious show! Tony is amazing as Monk!
Parent Written byjjjfffttt February 21, 2013

Love Monk. Can anyone recommend similar shows ???

My 10-year-old and I love it. Can anyone recommend other shows of similar quality for a smart 10-year-old??? I tried Columbo, but it's a bit slow (but still great tv)
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian December 31, 2012

Solve the Case--But Do Your Detective Work First

I give this crime show five stars because it's probably the only one on TV a Christian woman (and other discerning families) can watch for longer than 10 minutes without flinching. Monk is by turns endearing and annoying, and may be considered a positive influence on disability in the media. His way of solving cases will also hook anybody with the slightest "geek streak." The guy is delightfully human; who else stops a summation of a quadruple homicide to chastise a subway urinator? :) Being centered on murder, violence is a concern, although the camera is generally quite discreet for the genre. Capt. Stottlemeyer likes to indulge in profanity (SOB is about as rough as it gets, but still, it's there). Monk's assistant Sharona is fond of showing a little cleavage, and it's lightly implied she's had a promiscuous past. Murder victims are sometimes seen in bikinis, and affairs are often murder motives. Young kids shouldn't watch for these reasons, and because, as one reviewer noted, the show's premise is probably way over their heads. If you're a mature teen or adult, and either one of you is in need of something clean, yet intriguing, go for it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byrandomswimmer54 September 29, 2012

Favorite Show!

This is one of my favorite shows! My younger sister (she's 12) and I watched every season recently. There is obviously violence because it's a crime show, but nothing too graphic. The show is really funny because the main character is OCD and everything he does is very quirky! I would definitely recommend this to teens and adults, but only let your kids watch it if you are comfortable with them watching.
Kid, 12 years old August 2, 2012

BEST TV SHOW EVER MADE!

This show is incredible. In a world of violent crime dramas with too much romance and blood, it stands out like a diamond in the dirt. Mr. Monk is a great person who has never been popular. He has an assistant, Sharona, and then another one named Natalie when Sherona moves. He is a wonderful detective whose wife died because of a car bomb, and since he never found the killer, every day he kept working to help other people. This is the best tv show and movie I have ever watched, and not to brag, but I have good taste. Please watch this. It's wonderful and gives CSI a run for it's money.
Kid, 12 years old March 26, 2012

My favorite show

It is my favorite show - very funny and my sister and I love guessing who committed the crimes and how. The writers are very talented and witty. Monk is my favorite crime-type tv show, and one of the only ones I'm allowed to watch-it is not too violent, and all the humor makes it very light. There really isn't that much innuendo, an dmost of the violence is in the opening scene. Five stars, all the way!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAudreySky1 March 9, 2012

Love this show! Two Thumbs up!

One of my favorite shows! The only thing is it shows violent murders and a lot of them are related to affairs. There are some mentions of sexual behavior. But overall it is so funny and you can always fast forward.<3 =) <3
Kid, 10 years old February 9, 2012

WATCH IT

monk is awesome and most of the dead body scenes are totally fake. plus monk is a great role model, he has a disorder and is the best detective in the country.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGabe4243 December 31, 2011

Perfect.

Fantastic drama and comedy. I have been in love with this show for a long time, it is my second favorite program after smallville. Monks quirks and obsessions provide the perfect balance, making you cry one minute, then crack up the next. The show has interesting and impossible crimes every episode which strike a balance with the comedy. Never another cop show like it. Violence is the main issue, dead bodies with blood, and one haunting episode features Sharonas dead father chasing her with a screwdriver in his head (it turns out to be an actor making Sharona think shes crazy). Any dark moment always has a laugh to lighten the mood. Sexual references are infrequent and are usually reduced to "they were lovers." i great finale makes it worth it, wrapping it up. Funny, interesting, classic, timeless.
Kid, 12 years old November 29, 2011

Monk 101

I absolutely LOVE Monk! It is such a great show and has amazing actors! The language gets out of hand sometimes though.... There is a murder mystery in every episode, so of course there is gonna be stabbing and shooting. The Monk character is such a great actor, and he figures out everything! SO amazing! Definetly watch if 10 or 11+! Thanks for reading! :)
Teen, 17 years old Written bybooboostewart1231 November 26, 2011

Great Show Easy to Understand

Monk is great. The way natalie cares about monk is also very positive. The Murders are always solved and that is good for the children that are scared. This show is extremely funny and The characters are all nice to each other.