All member reviews for Monk

Witty crime drama too highbrow for most kids.

Adult Written byGracesbigsis July 14, 2010

Great show, may be too much for little kids but fine for tweens

Monk is one of my favorite shows. It's not gory or graphic. The actors are some of the best I've ever seen. The writing is extremely clever and witty. Other than a few innuendos or "sex-affiar," as Monk would call it, related crimes, there really is no strong sexual content. The main characters show each other respect and demonstrate what it is to be a true friend. Monk has a lot of issues to work through and each episode will likely have a moment in which you're laughing at some of his antics, or at some of the reactions to his antics, and then grabbing a hanky for a touching ending scene. I would recommend this show to anyone over 11. The only real issues are that some of the bodies, while tastefully filmed so that they're not graphic, may be just a little more bloody than you might want them to be. The murders can be very creepy so I advise parents not to let young children watch this. The language is very mild but it's nothing most tweens haven't heard from other TV shows they've likely seen. I don't understand some of Monk's bad reception, personally. There are a LOT more violent crime shows out there and this one is full of heart, charm, and wit. It isn't about the murder mysteries. It's about a man who is trying to cope with his many psychological issues and it's about the people in his life who are willing to help him, no matter how difficult it gets. I think that's a very positive message.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMedia Lover March 21, 2010

Very good

This show is great. Monk is a good influence, and its one of the only murder shows that is appropriate for preteens. My brother is 10, and he has no problem with this show. I love it.
Adult Written bydharvell April 9, 2008

This Show Has Potential

The characters are very well written, as is the plot line. The only real thing holding me back from whole-heartedly recommending this show is the graphic violence. This includes a scene where a woman is dismembered in a garage, blood splashing all over the windows. At that point, the show went off our TV for good. If they could find a way to portray the murders in a less graphic way, this show would be awesome.
Educator and Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byclcfh August 25, 2012

Some episodes seem fine for a younger audience, with parental guidance

I'm usually pretty cautious about television, and sometimes prefer to wait beyond the ages recommended here, but I'm often OK with letting my almost 10 year old watch pre-screened episodes of Monk with me. Monk is an imperfect hero, which gives us plenty to talk about. We've also looked for the clues, learned new vocabulary, and discussed dated pop culture references. There are plenty of episodes without dating, realistic violence, or other questionable or worrisome topics. That said, there are also episodes where the issues are more serious, children are victims, sexual topics are featured, and the language is a bit less tame. Definitely one for parental guidance with younger viewers, but not off limits in my opinion.
Kid, 11 years old August 29, 2012

THE BEST!

I am 11 and my brother is 7. The show is TV-14, and that makes sense. But I think it could get away with being PG. Parents need to know that yes, there is cursing. They say some rude words, but not in every episode. Also, there is talk of people having affairs outside of marriage, but it is never shown onscreen. My parents don't let us watch half of the PG movies out there, but they are okay with this one. We watch it every night (on Netflix) and are nearing the last one. If you want to show your kids an appropriate Monk, I reccomend Mr. Monk Gets Hypnotized. This is the best show in the whole entire world. Oh, and if you are going to show a kid this show, remind them not to repeat the language.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byMom to Tween January 23, 2011

Not too difficult for tween to understand

I couldn't disagree more with the assessment that kids won't get the humor. That was my 10-year-old's favorite part of the show. This is a great series that will keep both mom and tween engaged with plenty to talk about and laugh over -- together. Once this series became well-known and acclaimed, in the later seasons, we have some wonderful guest actors that make it really fun. Monk is endearing and in no way over a tween's head.
Kid, 12 years old August 6, 2010

Great show except it ended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only bad thing is that they stopped it!!! It's a great show. It's funny how mr.monk is scared of most things, including milk and ladybugs. It's best in the early seasons that had Sherona. A great show that's clean except for violence. See if you can find it because it's great!
Adult Written byJennie Whitcomb April 9, 2008

Quirky characters who care for each other

While the opening "set up" scene often involves a violent crime, the heart of this show is the affection and empathy the characters have for one another. The characters accept one another's foibles and truly care for one another. These values trump the opener and occasional "swears." Plus, the dialogue is witty and the plot lines keep us all interested. This is one show that my entire family (kids 8 to 15) enjoys watching together. We all laugh out loud several times in each episode.
Kid, 12 years old January 16, 2011

A bit scary at times, but very enjoyable

Although I find myself cover my eyes as the victims are murdered, it isn't only about that. It is also about Mr. Monk and his trials and tributes as a lonely mega-phobe. His wife was murdered and he takes it upon himself to figure out who did it until his last breath. The writers are absolute geniuses. You would have to be extremely smart in order to write these crime shows with clever solutions. I absolutely adore this show!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byZebra_Girl July 31, 2010

Love it!

I LOVE this T.V. show! It has a great combination of comedy and suspense. I love this series, but sadly it starts deteriorating in the quality on the 7th season, but its still watchable. I started watching at age 9, and I loved it. I still do.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJukilum June 6, 2010

Watch it with ClearPlay

Monk is a great show. My whole family has OCD to a certain extent, which makes it much more entertaining. The only real problem is the language and the violence, and many of the murders are related to extra-marital affairs. Watching it frequently gave us a bad feeling so we stopped watching it, but now Clearplay is releasing filters for Monk. We can now watch it again in peace.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Clever series

This series has got a lot of heart, and is a great mix of comedy, drama, and mystery. Tony Shalhoub is incredible in the title role. And I know no one's asking, but this is a lot better than Psych.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypeaches-and-kittens February 24, 2015

Awesome Show

This is one of my favorite shows!If you like crime shows you will love this, obviously, it has some blood and dead bodies, but it isn't that bad for younger kids although it's more intended for teens or adults. There's barely any sexual references but there is a few. Also some drug smugglers.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydkasal000 January 26, 2015

Kid, 11 years old November 27, 2014

Psych is so much better

i watch psych and my friend really likes this show and since they are both on usa i thought i should try it. psych is funnier more intersting and just well better so don't even bother
Teen, 14 years old Written byCurmagicwithin September 19, 2014

BEST SHOW, HANDS DOWN

Teen, 13 years old Written byMarioA April 20, 2014

hilarious and awesome show!!!

This show is awesome!! But I can see how this show might just be for certain people. I do recommend giving it a try!!
Kid, 10 years old November 15, 2013

Know your child

I am a 10 year old, and this became my favorite when I first set eyes on it at age 9. It is a funny show, containing some violent scenes, that may not be good for children under 11. Personally, I believe that if your child is mature, he/she can watch it. But for the sake of adults, I recommend you keep in mind that there are some episodes with gory scenes, so you might want to scan the episode, before allowing a child to watch it. My mother's idea. Overall, this show would be considered a comedy/action/drama series
Kid, 12 years old October 21, 2013

A fun TV show for you and your family

I personally LOVE these films, and I watch them frequently with parents and younger brother. Though he is ten, i still think it is a puse for 11 and under. There is normally a brief violent scene at the beginning of the movie, and it can sometimes be stomach-wrenching, depending on the episode. There is mild infrequent language, along with some sexual references and/or suggestions. So, overall, know your child 11 and under, this film may include some mature themes/references. I rate this 3 out of 5 stars because sometimes the overall theme, or "why" this or that happened is not very relevant or realistic (as if this were to happen in real life). But this stomach-churning, funny, and mysterious TV thriller will leave you at the edge of your couch for the whole second half of the film.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymusiclover47 September 24, 2013

Good show, a little violence

This show is amazing!! I started watching it at 8 years old, but my mom would only let me watch it if she was watching it with me. It really isn't that inappropriate, just in certain episodes. There is a little violence, but that has never bothered me (both my parents are doctors, I'm used to the sight of blood).