All parent member reviews for My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Adult Written byAnzek March 14, 2012

The fandom and the show.

As for the show itself, I'll keep it simple: The writing is fantastic, the animation is fantastic, the stories are immersive and the lessons taught are nearly invaluable. Compared to anything on CN, Nick, or Disney, this is quality stuff. As for the fandom, I'd like to rectify a few things Zamoonda said: "These images come from the adult fans of this show, called the Bronies. The Bronies come from the imaeboard known as 4chan.org. There are two boards in specific that I will talk about -- the /B/, also known as the Random board, as well as /Co/, known as the Comics & Cartoons board. The term Brony comes from /B/rony and /Co/lts. A /b/rony is a person who is a fan of the show but is primarily on /b/ board, whereas a /co/lt is a fan of the show but is primarily on the /co/ board." Bronies no longer only come from /b/ & /co/. That stopped happening in February '11, the term "/b/rony" also fell off then with the advent of Equestria Daily. A few like myself still hold the /b/rony title, but that's our own doing; "brony" is the name for fans now. And the term /co/lt has no relation to MLP. It's existed long before. "The community that has settled in the website, ponychan.net, is amazing. Just outstanding." I'd like to correct this. Ponychan has been known on numerous occasions to ban users for defending other users from trolls. Ban frequent donators to the site (even those who had given more than $400 out of the kindness of their heart), ban gift givers for defending their generosity, and so fourth. Ponychan is certainly not representative of the brony fandom in any way. We do not support the message of "we're better because we're nicer" that ponychan displays on almost a weekly basis. As the rest of the fandom call them: We don't support being a "Canterlot" pony. If you watch the episode named Sweet & Elite, the ponies of Canterlot are shown as excessively stuck up. Ponychan is compared to Canterlot by the rest of us. I would also like to state Equestria Daily does not represent the fandom either for the same reason. To make this relevant, you absolutely must supervise your children if they wish to explore outside of the show. As the fandom was born on the internet, at least half of its content is +18. And google images can't tell the difference. Like was mentioned in another comment, telling them to ask you what to look up is a very good suggestion. Like for instance, if they wanted a wallpaper of Twilight Sparkle for their desktop. I mention the insight into the fandom because while I was correcting some information, it should also be known that the main base of fans are from sites like /b/ & /co/ of 4chan, and fim.413chan - The fandom is inherently +18. So parents: Forgetting about internet, the show is absolutely remarkable. I'll bet it'd be hard to not get into the show yourself, that's how amazing the new iteration of My Little Pony is. Doesn't matter if you're my neighbor's house cat, the intended audience, some 20+ year old dude, or the Ice Cream Man. You WILL love this show. The letters to Princess Celestia at the end always so wonderfully close out the lessons being taught throughout the episodes. I could make this comment much longer with reasons why both you and your children should watch it, but that would take a few weeks. Remembering the internet real quick: Supervise everything. /b/ & /co/ are obvious reasons. Various sites pooling images into Google being another reason. And generally the younger audience may not be mature enough for some Youtube videos. Also be advised of ponychan. It isn't as nice as it seems, as I've stated. I'll close this out by saying the show is absolutely amazing, and if I could show it in Times Square on every single monitor at once, I would. I should watch it. Your cat should watch it. You should watch it. And considering all it teaches, your kids -with the utmost priority- should watch it. I'm just some 19 year old guy that's been on the internet for 10 years, who likes ponies. And after you see this show, you'll like ponies too. With Love, Some random brony. - Edit: There ARE good things that come from the fandom however. Like shirts! I had this delivered two days ago and am quite reluctant to take it off. welovefine com/1619-rainbow-dash-nouveau.html - So Parents, you can rock out with your kids in some pony wear if it ever came down to it :) - The show inspires so much, let it inspire your children.
Adult Written byDe2nis January 21, 2012

Not quite for the youngest sliver of humanity as it may outwardly appear, but a great show for everyone else

Another brony here, 21 years old, got into this show a few weeks ago. I've got to say, this is a fine piece of entertainment. I think kids would love it, not that I’m an expert in that field, but even on its own merits it’s a good show. The jokes are genuinely clever, often hilarious, and have a great way of catching you off guard (not because they are vulgar or anything). It’s refreshing to see a show that uses genuine wit rather than using vulgarity as a comedy-crutch. The characters are well developed and actually behave much like real people, especially for a children’s show. The plots are generally interesting too, I’m often wondering how the situations will be resolved. I’m kind of surprised the show is marketed towards the 3-6 demographic however. It doesn’t quite feel like that’s who it is intended for. I’ll go into more detail below: The lessons ring true 95% of the time. The show packs genuine wisdom. However, a lot of them seem too advanced for a four year, who is probably just learning the basics of right and wrong. For example, not being overly critical of things your friends give to you, to not be afraid to demonstrate your talents in front of friends, to use your friends to turn misfortune into a good laugh, or being willing to accept the help of others seems a bit advanced for Morality 101. Not that it’s Morality 401, either. Also, while the lessons are generally spot on, I feel Faust doesn’t really do a great job of demonstrating them, because they are either presented in contexts too fantastical to relate to real-life, or simply seem to work out instantenously, without really showing the process that leads to the end result, like how talking with your friends about a horrible night could evolve into a very entertain conversation. She sort of expects kids to take her word. The show is pretty darn clean (I still can’t get used to villains self-censoring with terms like “good gracious”). The most scandalous joke in all of season 1 involves one character joking about the punch being “Spiked” (yes, capital ‘S’, you’ll get it in context). However, I don’t know that it’s quite STERILE-clean. One episode involves a character using generous amounts of fake blood to make it look like an owl had attacked a mouse, which might be a bit disturbing to preschoolers. There are also some scenes in the first two episodes of the first two season that I think could scare a three year old. Characters are occasionally casually snarky towards each other and occassionally conduct behavior that would come off as rude in real rather than cartoon setting (like one character angrily saying "No thanks" and throwing a book across the room when a friend offers it to her), and remembering myself at three, I know that can have negative influence on preschoolers, who think that if the cartoon on television isn’t offended by the behavior, no one else will be. So I don’t quite think this show is appropriate for ALL ages. As for watching this show if you don’t have kids…I recommend you don’t judge it after watching a single episode, let me just say that. Watching three or four should give you a good idea of what to expect from this show. And don’t start with Episode 1. That struck me as pretty standard kid-TV. Episodes vary in quality a lot, at least in the first season. Some episodes seem like standard kiddy-fare, others are pure awesomeness on their own merits. Most fall somewhere in between, but lean towards the latter end of the scale and the overwhelming majority are worth watching. If you have body hair and you want to watch this show solely for your own entertainment, I recommend starting Episode 9, 15, 21, 24, or 25. These are hilarious and well written, the best of the first season. Oh, and about the objectional content. I've google-images-searched things like "Twilight Sparkle" and "Rainbow Dash" a few times and never ran into this problem. I think if you keep "safe search" on you should be alright. And pretty much ANY content has potential to be turned into something objectionable on youtube.
Adult Written bysilversatyr January 7, 2012

High quality entertainment for the family!

Packed with good morals, fun characters and lovely designs, the new My Little Pony series (of which there are 2 seasons thus far) is a must for every family. Even boys will enjoy this show, which in it's past adaptions has been aimed at young girls, sometimes with some questionable messages. Join Twilight Sparkle and her new friends as they learn about the magic of friendship. Themes such as tolerating those who are different, showing kindness to others, learning to share and put others ahead of yourself, not being afraid to be yourself, how to be a good friend and many others are scattered throughout the episodes. The characters remain true to themselves and each other without becoming cliched, boring or annoying, as so often happens in cartoons of this genre. The quality of the writing, art, music and voice work are at a very high standard and remain so. It's obvious that this show has been a labour of love for those who worked on it. Speaking of music - there are a number of catchy tunes sprinkled among the episodes that are always a delight to hear and impart important messages to young ears. "Giggle at the Ghosties", "Winter Wrap-up" and "The Pony Every Pony Should Know" are especially delightful. Definitely a show for the whole family to enjoy! :Note that the age buffer may vary a little. Personally I've seen 3 year olds that have enjoyed the show as much as their adult counterparts, but it should really depend on the child's awareness of characters and plot. Though the pretty animation is always a plus in little kids' books... :P :
Adult Written byblayzekohime December 29, 2011

family show

The consumerism isn't as bad as you'd think, mostly because there is a large disconnect between the show and the products (almost all of which are not show accurate). Other than that, it's probably one of the most positively influential shows I've seen for kids today, and unlike some kids' shows isn't a torment for parents to watch with their kids, allowing for some nice family time.
Adult Written byBigfoot1313 October 6, 2011

Great for Any Age

As a college age male, I can safely say that this has me laughing along with my dorm-mates (me plus five other male over 20 year olds) and anticipating the new episodes every weekend. I can't necessarily say that I learned a lot from the show but it is a great way to remind ourselves that friendship is a great thing. This show is a very welcome 30 minuet break from all of the grim topics we cover in school and the atrocities we hear about going on in the world every day.
Parent Written byLikaLaruku September 17, 2011

Nonpatronizing fun for men& women 3-93.

Well, this is one of those rare series with an abandoned demographic, much like Disney's Gargoyles, X-Men, & Batman the Animated Series was back in the 90s. This series is enjoyed by men & women, aged toddler to senior citizen. If it was on at a better time, it's something the family could watch together over dinner. For parents, this show, unlike Barbie & early Disney Princesses, will not inspire your kids to grow up with realistically unachievable aspirations & impossible expectations. It won't introduce them to romance, which is very inappropriate for preteens. It won't tell them that they need to be girly or that their goals in life should be getting married & having kids. It won;t tell them that they need to act & look a certain way in order to be accepted.
Adult Written byMylittleponyroxs19 August 23, 2011

All ages! Amamzing show :)

I love this show and I am 19 years old :) I am so happy they finally made a My Little Pony show everybody can enjoy not just for preschoolers. It is a great funny show for just about anybody. Parents may be disappointed it is not just for preschoolers but I think My little pony is better this way personally it is way more popular this way then I ever remember it being but I was not around in the 80s. I would recommend this show for 6 and up because it is not for real little kids there are some parts in the show that could scare the age range 1-5.
Parent Written bysmgabby August 19, 2011

Wonderful!

I loved this show instantly. My daughter is obsessed with this show and for once, I'm pleased. She outgrew Dora and fortunately, the ponies are back and I love this series. The characters are well developed and likeable; there are positive messages and it's funny, too. Adults can happily watch with their kids and even my littlest child watches and is NOT afraid. Not sure why those other people's kids got so upset but perhaps they're just more sensitive.
Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 1, 5, 6, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 16, and 18 year old Written bymykidsarebabies February 19, 2015

THOUGHT IT WAS EDUCATIONAL BUT NO

WHEN I SAW THE FINAL EPISODE OF SEASON 4 I STOPPED LET MY 5 YEAR OLD WATCH AND SHE START THROW A FIT I THREW AWAY ALL HER MY LITTLE PONY TOYS AND SHE CRIED AND SCREAMED I WILL NEVER LET HER WATCH THIS SHOW AGAIN. PERIOD.
Parent of a 12 year old Written by42jesusswag November 7, 2014

THEY PUT A SEX RATING ON MLP

You should get off this website. THEY PUT A SEX RATING ON MY LITTLE PONY FOR GODS SAKE
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byhbs78910 October 26, 2014

My husband and I enjoy it too!

MLP is refreshing on so many levels. It has enough humor to keep parents entertained, yet is clean and appropriate for preschoolers. I know of boys and girls of many ages who enjoy it. There are several episodes that can get very scary for younger kids, so be close by when Nightmare Moon, Discord or other villains are featured. In the end there is always a positive message, the girls are great friends to each other and diversity is valued among the friends.
Parent Written byBakaSaurus May 24, 2014

Cute Show.

I love this show. I actually like it better than the older G1-G2-G3 pony shows. The show has a unique art style and, plot for both girls and boys/ older woman and men that can enjoy this series.
Parent Written byAlbeith May 16, 2014

A violent show for little girls, but with good messages

I was with my two little girls watching the show. It was completely different from the oldest MLP series. Actually they just had show a violent fight in a recent episode, were a demon-like creature was fighting an alicorn called Twilight Sparkle in a "Dragon Ball Z style". I don´t think this is something my girls could see, but at least after the fight, they show Twilight and her friends cooperate to imprison the creature, using the power of friendship. I think this series is great, but for the violence, i think this show is for 10 years old.
Parent Written byJustanothercommentor May 12, 2014

Ponies... Ponies have changed

WARNING Season 4's finale may be too violent for some young kids.
Adult Written byJonathonWilder April 3, 2014

A refreshingly good tv series for children and adults

There is much that can be said about these series began by Lauren Faust, then continued after she left by many talented writers. Having a variety of good characters that can be said to break from stereotypes and show a number of good role models. I admit, mattering the writer and episodes the main characters can be better or worse as an example but one message shown commonly throughout is that for mistakes made they learn from such. Almost every single episode has a positive message that is offered at the end and can be discussed by parents. There is even Christian parallels that can be taken, even though the ponies have no true 'religion'. From the fall of Luna and her transformation into Nightmare Moon, imprisoned until such a time that she could be redeemed and forgiven. Thus in this way a lesson in repentance and forgiveness can be taught, perhaps even that of the conflict of God and Satan. Also many of the lessons offered by the episodes can be used to help children learn of good morals and values, that of how to show love and friendship to others. It can be funny, insightful and entertaining, without the dangers of so many cartoons today. Some have put there is too much violence, and yet ponies to not come to any grievous harm nor is their death. That and far greater violence c an be found in the Bible itself. The worst violence being from that of the more slapstick humor of the Looney Tunes, and this being only a few of the episodes. Again, what is shown can be discussed by parents and used to teach. Some have put there is too much sex, yet the only reference too such is Spikes crush on Rarity with nothing for then a kiss on the cheek or hugs between friends and family. Rarity has been know to charm others ponies though, being more of the beauty of the main six characters. There is also the marriage between Shining Armour and Princess Cadance, and a previous couple being that of Mr. and Mrs. Cake who later have twins. On consumerism, the show itself stays very much in story thus it would only be from commercials if watched on the Hub that would clue children in on all the toys, by finding them in stores, or online. The tv show itself will not manipulate children into asking for the toys, what needs to be watched for is the commercials.
Adult Written byTomtheCTbrony November 19, 2013

Great show for kids, and a reminder for adults

Wow. I can't begin to adequately extoll the brilliance of the team that brings this show to the world. Each character is multidimensional, pure of heart, and the very definition of a role model, as each main cast pony represents anything from integrity, kindness, generosity, laughter, loyalty, and leadership, and the strength with which these traits shine through is powerful and inspiring. I would be proud to be a parent whose child emulated what they saw from these characters. Friendship is Magic tells heartwarming, exciting, and funny stories, all while completely bereft of the cynicism and sexuality that is so prevalent in today's culture, and violence in this show is nearly nonexistent, and never the solution to a problem.
Adult Written bySourGalaxy October 11, 2013

Overall pretty great show

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic is a very well made cartoon that can appeal to all ages. Unlike with the previous My Little Pony shows, this one focuses more on characters and stories rather than try and hypnotize little girls into buying toys. As for inappropriate content, there really isn't any, but sometimes it has very mild fantasy violence. Great animation, great voice acting and good writing. My only complaints are the plots can be too simple and the "Brony" fanbase, which are male fans who obsess over the show, tends to give this show a negative image. There is also positive messages about friendship, which parents can appreciate. Overall good show, it's great show that the whole family can watch.
Adult Written bybeenwire August 17, 2013

an excellent show but it does have very slight violence

while the show is lighthearted death and violence are referenced occasionally, for instance in one episode the character spike tries to frame an owl for murder of a mouse by taking a toy mouse ripping it up and covering it in ketchup, while the scene is meant to be comedic in nature small children may find it disturbing. there is also another episode where one character endures much slapstick style violence and apparently fractures her two front legs (there wrapped in bandages) and her assistant spike lets go of the rope suspending them away from the ground causing them to hit a log with a crunch that may be disturbing to some. lastly characters often are in danger of falling to there death which may scare some small children.
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen August 16, 2013

My Little Pony is a good cartoon show.

I never watch My Little Pony before since when I was little girl.
Parent Written byjairopuelles July 24, 2013

Not for kids

A very stupid and violent series