All parent member reviews for My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Parent Written byJustanothercommentor May 12, 2014

Ponies... Ponies have changed

WARNING Season 4's finale may be too violent for some young kids.
Adult Written byJonathonWilder April 3, 2014

A refreshingly good tv series for children and adults

There is much that can be said about these series began by Lauren Faust, then continued after she left by many talented writers. Having a variety of good characters that can be said to break from stereotypes and show a number of good role models. I admit, mattering the writer and episodes the main characters can be better or worse as an example but one message shown commonly throughout is that for mistakes made they learn from such. Almost every single episode has a positive message that is offered at the end and can be discussed by parents. There is even Christian parallels that can be taken, even though the ponies have no true 'religion'. From the fall of Luna and her transformation into Nightmare Moon, imprisoned until such a time that she could be redeemed and forgiven. Thus in this way a lesson in repentance and forgiveness can be taught, perhaps even that of the conflict of God and Satan. Also many of the lessons offered by the episodes can be used to help children learn of good morals and values, that of how to show love and friendship to others. It can be funny, insightful and entertaining, without the dangers of so many cartoons today. Some have put there is too much violence, and yet ponies to not come to any grievous harm nor is their death. That and far greater violence c an be found in the Bible itself. The worst violence being from that of the more slapstick humor of the Looney Tunes, and this being only a few of the episodes. Again, what is shown can be discussed by parents and used to teach. Some have put there is too much sex, yet the only reference too such is Spikes crush on Rarity with nothing for then a kiss on the cheek or hugs between friends and family. Rarity has been know to charm others ponies though, being more of the beauty of the main six characters. There is also the marriage between Shining Armour and Princess Cadance, and a previous couple being that of Mr. and Mrs. Cake who later have twins. On consumerism, the show itself stays very much in story thus it would only be from commercials if watched on the Hub that would clue children in on all the toys, by finding them in stores, or online. The tv show itself will not manipulate children into asking for the toys, what needs to be watched for is the commercials.
Adult Written byTomtheCTbrony November 19, 2013

Great show for kids, and a reminder for adults

Wow. I can't begin to adequately extoll the brilliance of the team that brings this show to the world. Each character is multidimensional, pure of heart, and the very definition of a role model, as each main cast pony represents anything from integrity, kindness, generosity, laughter, loyalty, and leadership, and the strength with which these traits shine through is powerful and inspiring. I would be proud to be a parent whose child emulated what they saw from these characters. Friendship is Magic tells heartwarming, exciting, and funny stories, all while completely bereft of the cynicism and sexuality that is so prevalent in today's culture, and violence in this show is nearly nonexistent, and never the solution to a problem.
Adult Written bySourGalaxy October 11, 2013

Overall pretty great show

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic is a very well made cartoon that can appeal to all ages. Unlike with the previous My Little Pony shows, this one focuses more on characters and stories rather than try and hypnotize little girls into buying toys. As for inappropriate content, there really isn't any, but sometimes it has very mild fantasy violence. Great animation, great voice acting and good writing. My only complaints are the plots can be too simple and the "Brony" fanbase, which are male fans who obsess over the show, tends to give this show a negative image. There is also positive messages about friendship, which parents can appreciate. Overall good show, it's great show that the whole family can watch.
Adult Written bybeenwire August 17, 2013

an excellent show but it does have very slight violence

while the show is lighthearted death and violence are referenced occasionally, for instance in one episode the character spike tries to frame an owl for murder of a mouse by taking a toy mouse ripping it up and covering it in ketchup, while the scene is meant to be comedic in nature small children may find it disturbing. there is also another episode where one character endures much slapstick style violence and apparently fractures her two front legs (there wrapped in bandages) and her assistant spike lets go of the rope suspending them away from the ground causing them to hit a log with a crunch that may be disturbing to some. lastly characters often are in danger of falling to there death which may scare some small children.
Parent Written byjairopuelles July 24, 2013

Not for kids

A very stupid and violent series
Parent Written byOxSensationalxO June 14, 2013

A very good show.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a great TV show for the young, but can also be for older people, 'like teenagers'. I believe the show can teach kids things, like it did for me. It told me to stand up for myself in one of the episodes that explain Fluttershy's shyness. It also is entertaining for all ages. Twilight and her friends explain friendship, also to show kids about that friendship isn't all 'friendship'. It can be special.. ;-) So I give this a 5/5. It is a really great show. ;-)
Adult Written byA. Urzi January 17, 2013

MLP, not just for girls any more.

My Little Pony is a quality cartoon for children of any age, or get this, gender. Its themes and lessons are equally valuable and the show is equally entertaining for girls & boys alike. I don't expect your son to start collecting the toys and brush the ponies manes of course or want his room to be painted pink, but as an animated show, this isn't going to hurt your sons masculinity any. The show has pop culture references galore for anyone astute enough to catch them, from I love Lucy to Big Labowski to Dr Who. The show isn't about dating or cooking, or slumber parties....(well there was that one episode). Shows range from fighting off sleeping dragons, how to handle one's pride, time management, finding out who you are by discovery, not being told, the downside of vanity, addresses prejudice against someone for just being different, how gifts can brighten other's days, how you should push yourself but not at the expense of your morals, just to name a few. There is plenty of action and adventure thrown in, and just a couple of cupcakes. Unfortunately, thanks to society, and bullies, and perceived gender roles, if your male, or older child does watch My Little Pony, they should probably keep that information to themselves, I hate to say it and they shouldn't have to...but that’s how it is, and that fight against society should be fought by parents not fights on the playground. Just as a parent, if your male child shows an interest, don't panic or make him stop. To address concern over Bronies, and fan made content, when you have an unexpected adult fan base, it's only natural to have the characters, sullied up a bit, and put into some adult situations. Everyone eventually grows up, and while some of the themes that adult community explorers are adult in nature, they are for the most part natural; fillies come from someplace you know. Does it mean that content is appropriate for children? No. That said there is a lot of really amazing, genuinely good, and safe fan content created as well. Take the bad with a grain of salt, if you want guaranteed safe family friendly online content for your child, that’s what the my little pony website run by Hasbro is for. No parent in this day and age should give their child unsupervised access to the internet, especially YouTube, let alone sites like Deviant Art.
Parent of an infant, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 11 year old Written byResponsibleParentOf9 December 5, 2012

Awesome!

This is an awesome and educational show! ALL my children LOVE it!
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 11 year old Written byAnEpicGuy December 3, 2012

Truly epic.

As a father and brony myself, I declare this show epic for ages 6, as 3-5 year olds might imitate. As long as they dont imitate, this is an epic choice for all families.
Educator and Parent Written byLindseysmama November 29, 2012

My Little Pony....A great Education!

This is smart show. It is not for "four year olds". Caillou is for 4 year olds. (A great and educational show, I might add.)The vocabulary and depth of the My Little Pony" show can only be understood by the most precoscious 5 or 6 year old. Otherwise it is made for 7 and 8 year olds who have a good grasp of vocabulary. Grown-ups should take stock in this show. It is for the intelligent young audience who love musicals and a great adventure and story! The characters are the very beings who make up our world today. Kuddos to the writers and producers of this show! Thank God you were here while my little girl is young. Two thumbs up!
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 9, 2012

I'm a brony,and i'm proud of it!

MLP:FiM is perfect for ALL AGES! It will teach you A LOT about friendship.Even though Spike has a crush on Rarity,Rainbow Dash (while pretty cool) is a terrible role model,and there is a lot of mercandising (I bought a Derpy T-Shirt at Walmart one day.) One of my friends at college is a brony too! I also agree with him that it's a funny,amazing,cool,fun to watch,action packed,positive,and AWESOME show! BEST SHOW ON THE HUB!!!
Parent of a 2, 10, 11, 15, and 15 year old Written bycharmsmatuts September 5, 2012

Don't listen to some of those people who say "This is for little girls only not boys!"

In my years I've seen plenty of amazing hub shows (Looking at you Transformers Prime and Code Lyoko) But My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is probably the best show on the channel, Nah, Its actually one of the most superb cartoons I've ever seen in my intire life! So this is created by Lauren Fest, also creator of Gravity Falls on Disney Channel, and Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends and Powerpuff Girls both on Cartoon Network. I think there's more she made. Now I also love Gravity Falls, Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, and Powerpuff Girls. Now your right that I am a man, but at 1st I thought this was gonna stink! But I decided to give it a chance and It blew my mind! I see why people like this! I'm happy its popular! Unlike the original My Little Pony these ponies are way cuter! Its funnier too. The Animation is also really good, Now its not right to say the animation is too bright and colorful. Animation is supposed to be like that in the 21st century. The acting is also really fresh and superb! Its messages (Of Course) are on friendship and being clever and nice. All characters are good role models obviously. So its always okay to question to yourself why boys like this show too? What are bronies? or pretty much anything. But please don't go saying "This is for little girls only not boys" because that's just not the right way to grow up, plus that means you've never even seen any episodes. I love this show, Its always okay in my house or wherever I go. But it is probably best to stay away from the toys since they really are for younger children. PS I'll also recommend the new Pound Puppies and other shows on the hub. Currently this has had 2 seasons and I'm hoping for more! I hope this lasts like... I dunno, forever!
Adult Written byFelicity1169 August 21, 2012

Okay show but beware the fans!!

I'm in college so most of the children shows I watch are what my little brother watches. This show however was suggested to me by a friend of mine. The show it self was your average show aimed at little girls and I congratulate the creators for taking the time to make a show with great characters and good messages unlike the previous My little pony shows that were incredibly bland and looked like they put it together last minute to sell toys (this one still is trying to sell toys though). However for some strange reason college aged men and older have fallen in love with this show. I don't know why. I mean there are tons of shows that are meant for kids that have tons of adult fans like Avatar and Adventure Time but there's something off putting about grown men watching a show about something I used to play with when I was a little girl. So please parents just don't look up fan art.
Adult Written bysbarr64 May 22, 2012

best cartoon in a long time

The show have good value, like Friendship is hard but some of it is too dark for kids 1 to 7
Parent Written byskydala April 18, 2012

A valuable show for everypony!

Good for girls and boys of any age. Covers topics from bullying and peer-pressure, to overcoming fear and having self-confidence, to the importance of being a good friend and a good person (pony?) and everything in between. Yes, there is a big consumer angle, but that is merely the byproduct of it being a popular show. No one is twisting your arm to buy related products. I honestly don't think that should be a reason to prevent anyone from watching the show. It is educational, promotes many admirable character qualities, and acts as an excellent launching pad for family discussions on topics most young children will experience in life.
Adult Written byD3rpyH00ves/)(\ April 10, 2012

20%cooler than most children shows

I believe My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a well plotted series for both young children, teens, parents, the whole family to share. In the series you learn many life lessons, mostly about friendship, but others that can be very helpful for young children. Older generations will enjoy the show as well, the characters are easy to connect to and the possibility of fun and laughter is high, unless you don't see how a pink pony throwing parties with a party cannon is both funny and thrilling. This show is definitely 20% cooler in my book.
Parent Written byEquations March 29, 2012

Setting What's Important Apart

This is one of the few shows my entire family enjoys watching and it lacks the mindlessness seen in some children's television shows. MLP: FiM teaches real friendship values and though the characters don't always get along, they DO always work things out and learn in the process. The lessons that the characters learn are sort of showcased at the end by the main pony, Twilight, who writes down all the lessons she learns about friendship. This makes it easy for kids to pick out the lesson after the story is done!
Adult Written byAnzek March 14, 2012

The fandom and the show.

As for the show itself, I'll keep it simple: The writing is fantastic, the animation is fantastic, the stories are immersive and the lessons taught are nearly invaluable. Compared to anything on CN, Nick, or Disney, this is quality stuff. As for the fandom, I'd like to rectify a few things Zamoonda said: "These images come from the adult fans of this show, called the Bronies. The Bronies come from the imaeboard known as 4chan.org. There are two boards in specific that I will talk about -- the /B/, also known as the Random board, as well as /Co/, known as the Comics & Cartoons board. The term Brony comes from /B/rony and /Co/lts. A /b/rony is a person who is a fan of the show but is primarily on /b/ board, whereas a /co/lt is a fan of the show but is primarily on the /co/ board." Bronies no longer only come from /b/ & /co/. That stopped happening in February '11, the term "/b/rony" also fell off then with the advent of Equestria Daily. A few like myself still hold the /b/rony title, but that's our own doing; "brony" is the name for fans now. And the term /co/lt has no relation to MLP. It's existed long before. "The community that has settled in the website, ponychan.net, is amazing. Just outstanding." I'd like to correct this. Ponychan has been known on numerous occasions to ban users for defending other users from trolls. Ban frequent donators to the site (even those who had given more than $400 out of the kindness of their heart), ban gift givers for defending their generosity, and so fourth. Ponychan is certainly not representative of the brony fandom in any way. We do not support the message of "we're better because we're nicer" that ponychan displays on almost a weekly basis. As the rest of the fandom call them: We don't support being a "Canterlot" pony. If you watch the episode named Sweet & Elite, the ponies of Canterlot are shown as excessively stuck up. Ponychan is compared to Canterlot by the rest of us. I would also like to state Equestria Daily does not represent the fandom either for the same reason. To make this relevant, you absolutely must supervise your children if they wish to explore outside of the show. As the fandom was born on the internet, at least half of its content is +18. And google images can't tell the difference. Like was mentioned in another comment, telling them to ask you what to look up is a very good suggestion. Like for instance, if they wanted a wallpaper of Twilight Sparkle for their desktop. I mention the insight into the fandom because while I was correcting some information, it should also be known that the main base of fans are from sites like /b/ & /co/ of 4chan, and fim.413chan - The fandom is inherently +18. So parents: Forgetting about internet, the show is absolutely remarkable. I'll bet it'd be hard to not get into the show yourself, that's how amazing the new iteration of My Little Pony is. Doesn't matter if you're my neighbor's house cat, the intended audience, some 20+ year old dude, or the Ice Cream Man. You WILL love this show. The letters to Princess Celestia at the end always so wonderfully close out the lessons being taught throughout the episodes. I could make this comment much longer with reasons why both you and your children should watch it, but that would take a few weeks. Remembering the internet real quick: Supervise everything. /b/ & /co/ are obvious reasons. Various sites pooling images into Google being another reason. And generally the younger audience may not be mature enough for some Youtube videos. Also be advised of ponychan. It isn't as nice as it seems, as I've stated. I'll close this out by saying the show is absolutely amazing, and if I could show it in Times Square on every single monitor at once, I would. I should watch it. Your cat should watch it. You should watch it. And considering all it teaches, your kids -with the utmost priority- should watch it. I'm just some 19 year old guy that's been on the internet for 10 years, who likes ponies. And after you see this show, you'll like ponies too. With Love, Some random brony. - Edit: There ARE good things that come from the fandom however. Like shirts! I had this delivered two days ago and am quite reluctant to take it off. welovefine com/1619-rainbow-dash-nouveau.html - So Parents, you can rock out with your kids in some pony wear if it ever came down to it :) - The show inspires so much, let it inspire your children.
Adult Written bysonofzeal January 24, 2012

An excellent show for both parents and children

This show is one of the rare breed that is actually enjoyable to watch with your kids. Part of this is because it breaks many of the recent molds for children's shows, using a relatively rich vocabulary and complicated characters. For example, the first episode has the main character Twilight use some more difficult words like "imperative" and "precipice", and explanations of these words are slipped in naturally. Children watching the show will be exposed to new words and phrases, without feeling like they're being taught at. The characters themselves are a bit more conflicted than usual as well. They each have weaknesses they struggle with, as well as strengths. While flawed, they remain good role models because they work to recognize and overcome these weaknesses, rather than remaining flat caricatures. The show's overall message about friendship and harmony is a little cliche, but there are also powerful sub-themes about accepting those who are different, growing as individuals, how to cope with personality conflicts, and the importance of trust.