All member reviews for My Name Is Earl

Offbeat, heartfelt comedy, but not for young kids.

Kid, 12 years old July 30, 2011

Amazing show with some explaining to kids

This is one of my favorite shows. There is violence mostly comical and cartoonish like chairs being wacked over heads. There is alot of sexual refernce seeing as one of earls children is a love child. There is also a day time hooker named patty who apears freaquintly and most times she is there there is a sexual refernce (usauly somthing kinky). They have a best friend who is a striper at a crazy, rich mans club so there are often stories about her job. They drink almost every episode not often is it heavy, but it does happen. The role models are good when it's not showing you things from earls (main characters past) he pretty much went from a no good thief who would steal when ever he got the chance to a true good guy. The language isn't that bad it's usualy when joy (earls ex-wife) makes fun of randy (earls slow brother).
Adult Written byEthan511 July 15, 2014

Amazing show, but not for little kids

This is one of the best TV shows I've watched in a while. While there is crude humor, some violence, and sexual innuendo, there is almost always a good message at the end. Earl could be seen as a positive role model because the show centers on him making up for all his wrong-doings.
Kid, 9 years old October 17, 2009
I started watching when i was 7. There is this hooker that is in most episodes and they say some cuss words
Adult Written byTheBigJ April 9, 2008

I like it so far

I think this show is funny and has a good message. Earl used to only care about himself and then learns about karma and decides to turn his life around. It reminds me of a 12 step program in that he makes a list of all the bad things he has done and vows to correct them, whether it be apologizing to the people he has wronged or quitting such behavior as smoking. When he does good things, good things come his way. We could all learn a little lesson about this!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bynancylynn June 10, 2010
My son loves this show. He's almost 14 and I think that overall this show has a positive message.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byrobibeiss December 13, 2008

Best Comedy on TV

Love this show! Characters are insanely funny and premis of Karma is great for bringing a positive tone to a comdey that at times could be considered vulgar. I let my near 11 yr old watch it with me. I am a little less conservative than most parents, but I am ready to explain when things such as gay bars, hookers, and such comes up...although most of the time , he doesn't even ask cuz he doesn't get it. I.E. Hookers he thinks in the first episode- Earl tries to pay a girl to kiss and date the gay guy (because he doesn't understand 'sex' fully). If you are uncomforatble as parent explaining such things then wait till at least closer to 12.
Adult Written byIngrid922 April 9, 2008
Kid, 11 years old January 25, 2009

I laugh so hard at this!

This TV show is the best TV show EVER! I love it! I started watching it when I was like 9 or 10 and it is so amazing! Watch it!
Adult Written byCrazy Chel April 9, 2008

Good Goal, Bad Surroundings

Poor Earl just wants to make the world a better place. Little by little he works to fix his past mistakes and help others have a better life. While his intentions are good his actions, and those of people around him, are not always the best. Each episode has a clear message but there is enough violence (thanks to his ex-wife) and questionable content to make a parent pause before allowing anyone under 14 to watch.
Parent Written byPlague December 17, 2009

My Name is Earl

Very funny show. One of my favorties to watch.
Adult Written byMindypin April 9, 2008

Great premise, very funny

I'm not really into network TV, but this show caught my attention when I happened across the pilot. It's funny, and not PC. I love the message of repentance and forgiveness - and am pleasantly surprised to see it be the basic message for a TV show.
Adult Written byemmys-mom April 9, 2008

A show I don't miss!

I find the characters likeable & the writing top notch. (A well deserved writing Emmy!) I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do in the second season.
Adult Written byshecky April 9, 2008

This is one of my favorite TV shows

If I had kids, I wouldn't let them watch it since it has many sexual innuendos and sexual situations and one of the main characters sometimes works as a stripper. The first season started off fairly mild, but the second season is a bit much. Several episodes surround Earl as a prison inmate and the show seems to poke fun of jail life. Adults will love this show, but kids shouldn't be watching this.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJessica_Love February 1, 2016

Do you know your kids?

It depends on the type of kid! Earl is a great role model! Even though he has been in a life of crime in the past he is trying to make up for his mistakes! But on the other hand there is a lot of sex and swearing! Just make sure you know your kid! Make sure you watch it first and then decide!
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2015

Stop being so protective parents

This show is awesome great messages and some good role models like earl. No violence. For language they say "sun of a bitch" every episode they say "ass" sometimes but nothing worse then bitch. A lot of show takes place in a bar where they are always drinking beer, earl smokes in the first 2 episodes but trying to quit, joy sometimes smokes, there is one episode where earl and his dad buy weed and are forced to smoke some out of a bong but it is not trying to say drugs are good. The main problem is sexual content mainly Catalina is a stripper and wears very skimpy outfits, shows pole dancing in episodes and implied sex in some episodes, but no actual nudity. Overall rating 4.8/5.0 and age rating 9+.
Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2015

My Name is Epic

This show has gotten many laughs out of me. The sex references are great, the acting is realistic, and the show overall is very touching. This show is easily appropriate for my age, so stop thinking that it isn't. Idiots. I'M NOT A YOUNG KID YOU DUMBASS!
Teen, 13 years old Written bynikeultra13ac July 7, 2015

this tv show

I don't believe is meant for young kids ( 11 and younger) smoking is very common in the first 2 episodes and joy calls earl very rude names and expresses them on other things like a car. Drinking is big on this show. Earl makes great choices when he learned about karma. Also some racy comments.
Parent Written bymorrgin March 24, 2015

Funny for Adults

I think it's funny but not for kids or young teenagers. It has good mesages but i dont think it compensates for all the rest of the content. Seems like it shows more of the negative side of humans like putting others down, name calling, instant gratification, drug use, verbal and emotional abuse, disrespect for others, lack of respect for oneself, lack of respect for your body, lack of respect for another person's body, etc.
Parent Written byluism January 14, 2015

my name is earl ??

This show was grate until randy started to be all over. got sick of his fase and dependence of others he got so annoying i just stopped watching at season 3 on netflix and gave it a 3 star .
Kid, 11 years old October 6, 2013

A.W.E.S.O.M.E

Awesome I'm only 10 I love it!