Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Nella the Princess Knight

Well-rounded heroine is great role model for preschoolers.

Parent of a 3 year old Written bymcdeac May 7, 2017

She saves the day

My daughter loves this so much, and although she's a princess (this Mommy isn't big on princess stuff), she saves the day! My daughter loves to say Nella's phrase, "My heart is bright, time to be a Princess Knight!" Friendship and respect are often featured, and each "episode" is really two mini-episodes, so it works well for short attention spans or if you are letting them watch one short cartoon before doing something else. Also, Nella herself is mixed-race, which may be nice for some families to see a reflection of themselves.

Parent Written bySheila F. December 8, 2017

Creates worries for young children

I saw an episode with the family preparing for a family photo. Every character in the episodewas overly worried about their appearance and freaking out about not looking perfect. The family horse specifically. The horse is depicted as basically having a panic attack because her hair is not perfect. My little one saw this episode and worried about her hair for the next 3 days. Total superficial junk. No thanks!
Parent Written byShannon M. February 16, 2017

Dragon Breath

The writers missed the mark, so to speak, on this episode . Hypocrisy at its finest. While Nella attempts to teach the dragon acceptable social behavior, other characters are name-calling , running away from, and , at one point, one states that the dragon's "stink" has to be washed from her hair. These actions are all forms of BULLYING and I wish the little one in my presence had never seen this episode. Pointing out or addressing another person's "flaws" should never occur in the form of public shaming and embarrassment. Hopefully other episodes have been written with more careful thought and consideration.
Adult Written byMummyof1 May 22, 2019

Not appropriate for younger children

My daughter loved the ads for this show and was excited to watch. We watched an episode and I was shocked that a channel that has bananas in pyjamas, play school and other younger child viewing would have a show like this on this channel. In my opinion the themes, the characters (even though thought it was great to begin with who doesn’t love a Princess Knight?) and the whole show is just not appropriate for children that are watching this channel. I think it should be on the older kids channel not this one.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byNicole K. January 6, 2018

I like the girl of color being a knight, but man do I hate the sexist, vapid bimboness

There's a lot of bimbo, vapid behavior, particularly in the horse (Trink) whose whole personality is being a bimbo into designer clothes and hair, but even Nella speaks like a valley gal sometimes. They're always doing fashion shows and stuff like that. Which is too bad, because I like that the princess is black and that she is a knight. Up above it says that this is full of positive role models, but the positive aspects of Nella are offset by Trink's catering to every awful female stereotype possible.
Adult Written byTemarrah December 31, 2018
Parent of a 5 year old Written byDenise W. September 11, 2018

Nella the Princess Knight saves the day!

My kindergarten daughter loves this TV show. Whenever she comes home from school, she wants to watch this. She loves princesses and I think it’s really cool that she’s not just a princess, but a princess knight. Amazing show with a positive female main character. Yes Nella does carry a sword but this isn’t an issue. Great show, recommended.

Parent of a 1, 4, and 7 year old Written byMorgan J. June 14, 2018

Remember it's a kids show

I liked Nella from the moment I saw the first episode because she was a princess knight. My daughters are now "rescuing princes' which is so much different than many princess type shows and movies we've watched. Tie that it with her being biracial, which my daughters and so many other kids are, and she's a positive role model whom my daughters emulate when she shows strength, courage and compassion.

Parent of a 3 year old Written byJamie B. April 3, 2018