All member reviews for Ni Hao, Kai-lan

Parent of a 3 year old Written byjeep30girl August 28, 2010

Remove Ni Hao KEEP Dora and Diego

Hate it - It has taught my child to use Im MAD stomp his foot, throw major tantrums (More than a normal), throw things when he is mad (More than a normal), Hit and push other kids (More than a normal).
Parent of a 4 year old Written byTwin Mom1232 July 26, 2010

Bad Behavior of Characters Outweigh the Good Messages

I'm so happy to see other parents noticed a change in their children's behavior after watching this, because I did too! My 4-yr-old twins really liked this show, but then I began to notice my son stomping around the house, shouting constantly, kicking his sister, and throwing temper tantrums all the time. When I heard him repeatedly shout "I am SOOO mad!" it rang a bell and I watched Kai-Lan with them and sure enough, he was imitating the terrible behavior of Kai-Lan's bratty friends. So this adorable little show is now banned in our house. It's too bad though--my daughter loved it, and would clap like Kai-Lan to "figure out...what to do!" And hearing them repeat the Chinese phrases was really cute. I think regarding the show's other characters, parents will just have to see what their children take away from this show. Hopefully it's the good messages!
Adult Written bysp. ed. teacher mom April 9, 2010

Why so much negativity?

I do not like this show! There's always an angry character who is mad, kicking sand, or having a tantrum. Last night my 21 month old daughter was watching and came into the kitchen and said, "I'm really made like tiger!" Why do they always have to have an angry character in each episode? It's so unnecessary!
Parent of a 2 year old Written bystacey253 May 2, 2010

TAUGHT MY SON TO HIT, STOMP, AND ACT VIOLENT!

My 2 1/2 year old son mysteriously began using violence when he is not exposed to other little kids often to pick it up from them. I could not figure out where in the world he was learning terms like "I'm going to stomp you." He also began hitting and stomping on the floor, threatening to stomp me. I couldn't figure out how in the world my usually sweet little boy was learning to be so angry. Then I watched the show with him one day (he usually watched it w/his grammy/papa) and I heard the characters using these terms and hitting each other. Now my little man has a terrible problem with stomping, hitting, kicking, or acting in a violent manner whenever he does not like something or does not get his way. I think the opening credits of the show should make it very clear that the show is NOT for children under a certain age, because little tikes are not cognitively mature enough to pick up the message. In fact, all it did was TEACH my son the very behavior it was advocating against. I'm a little upset that I now have to un-train my son of this behavior. Hitting and violence is something the parents should teach, not something they learn on a child's cartoon by watching the characters act out in a violent manner. I would not recommend it to any child under 5.
Kid, 12 years old January 13, 2013

Kai Lan says bye in Italian

It is the best except for one slight error. Kai Lan says bye incorrectly. I took Chinese class in 6th grade. The teacher (who is Chinese) said the correct way to say bye in Chinese is zei jen (si jen). Kai Lan says "chow". I have learned that "chow" means bye, IN ITALIAN.Maybe she is part Italian or Nick Jr never learned Chinese. It could even be that they lied to the kids because the real way to say bye is hard to pronounce. Also, I agree that the show is a little too violent because the tiger stomps around and is almost always mad. I think the rhino, koala and the monkey are adorable though. I think it would earn two more stars when they fix at least one of the problems
Parent Written bysmoon May 31, 2011

WHY YOUR KIDS SHOULD BE WATCHING IT.

I've seen several reviews where parents are upset by their children's behavior after watching the show, but the TV show is only supposed to be a tool for learning, parents need to be part of the process too. If your child is behaving badly, do you act like Kai-Lan? Do you show them you care by trying to figure out what is wrong? Then teach them the right thing to do instead? If the parent isn't behaving like Kai-Lan than the kids are going to behave badly whether they watch this show or not. Kai-Lan is there to help the PARENTS teach the kids, she can't do all the work for you! My little girl is two years old and it already works on her. The other day she was not sharing her toy and I reminded her of one of the episodes on taking turns, and she turned to her friend and said "ok, your turn". She loves the characters so that encourages her to do the right thing like they do, all she needs is a little reminder from mom! Before you pass the blame on this show try being more involved in your kids behavior, and if you don't know how to handle your kids behavior with or without the show, then look into Applied Behavior Analysis.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byNoot May 17, 2011

Not for toddlers

While the show itself is cute and draws children in, younger kids immitate the negative attitudes of the characters when they don't get their way. Folded arms, saying, "I'm mad," kicking items, and storming away are discouraged (i'm sure) in most homes. A two year old does not get the "big picture" and relates only to what is seen and in turn immiates it. While leaning about different emotions is important, this show is geared more toward older children who can talk to their parents about what they're feeling and how to handle those feelings appropriately. My son no longer watches and he is throwing fewer tantrums and not announcing that he's mad or quits while kicking something with his hands folded.
Kid, 9 years old November 10, 2012

NOT FOR ANY AGE!!!

THIS SHOW MADE MY LITTLE SISTER CRY!!! THERE'S MANY STUPID ACTIONS AND DUMB CRYING!!! I'D RATHER WATCH Tj's World ON Goanimate!!!! THIS SHOW IS NOT EDUCATIONAL AND NOT FUNNY AT ALL!!! I WILL NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ALL AGES!!! THIS SHOULD BE CANCELLED!!!!
Parent of an infant, 2, 4, 7, and 11 year old Written bylindsey678 January 29, 2011

CRAZY PARENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU WROTE A BAD REVIEW ABOUT A CHILD ANGER AND SAYING IM MAD ON NI HOA KAI LAN THEN YOU ARE CRAZY PARENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 9 years old November 2, 2014

Why did my parents even make me watch tgis steaming pile of poop

I hear cussing like; $%^ )(*(*)(( !##VB THIS &^R$ pLIS they punch kick teach kids how nto be bad at school be mad and destroy school ect
Teen, 16 years old Written byX-Agent August 19, 2013

YOU THINK KIDS WANNA SEE THIS GARBAGE?!

This show teaches kids to kick and hit and stomp around! However I'm allowed to do that since I'm 16 years old and my brain is fully developed. However this show is horrible! Don't even get me started on how bad it is. This gets no stars.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDuper_Drew July 28, 2012

I didn't need to see that.

I hate it when they copy off Dora.By giving a kids show stupid stongs,and making the characters break the 4th wall! This show is pathetic! It's even pointless! The theme song is obnoxious and the animation is horrible! Stop copying off Dora!
Adult Written byAl Jackson April 16, 2012

A bogus effort.

This is the 2nd worst preschooler show next to Dora.In fact,it is JUST LIKE Dora except it's chinese! The reason why this show sucks is because they do the SAME OLD thing in EVERY episode! Also,that song in the end is terrible.
Adult Written bynduns December 21, 2011

You know what...

Instead of blaming the show, maybe you should all take smoon's advice. Smoon seems to be the only parent reviewer here with any sense of logic. Follow Smoon's advice. I'm done.
Parent Written byMommy2two August 22, 2011

Tigers and monkeys and ants oh my!

Bright vibrant colors, and catchy songs. However, why are the characters so angry? The Tiger, Monkey and ants all have had meltdowns on this show where they have slapped somebody, yelled and stomped around. Get rid of the anger and violence of the show and it would be great!
Parent Written byYomij July 21, 2011

Worst kid show on tv

The show teaches kids negative behaviors. Every single episode has one of the characters acting out. For once it would be nice to tune in as see the characters exhibiting some positive behavior. My daughter started saying she was mad about everything, after seeing the show. Worst kid program on tv.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byDisappointed Ni... September 24, 2010

NOT FOR TWO YEAR OLDS!

My 2 year old son started watching this show about six months ago and has been kicked out of 3 daycares. I didn't know why my son became aggressive or started saying he was "MAD" all the time until I watched the show. Oh my goodness! Then, the light bulb went off. Wow! This is so aweful! I am banning my son from watching this show. I hope his behavior improves.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEspumaMarina September 13, 2010

Pretty good, but I have a temptation to flick some characters in the nose..

Its quite adorable actually, the animation is cute, teaches Chinaes and what-not. But, the tiger, like trillions of others said, is annoying, and teaches children to stomp their foot and whine "I'm MAD" -I'm sure you are.. Also, the tiger (who's name I forgot) gets his way, the characters always get their way, weither they ask or whine (usually its a mix of both, or plain whining) For one, I saw this episode (There was nothing on TV and it was 6am) and they were playing musical chairs, OH. MY. GOSH. The koala and tiger BOTH got whiny when they got out and complained "I can't play with my friends!" The tiger got mad, and the koala ran off and cried (um, excuse me but many people do not like cry-babies, I should know because I was one) and they stopped playing the game and asked the dumbest question in the world "Why is he crying?" he was REPEATING it as he cried! "Cry-cry, I can't play with my friends!" and so it took them five minutes to figure that out, then they tried to confort him, and they changed the game so nobody would get out... um, in life, you loose, you do NOT need to go run away crying because you lost a game of musical chairs. He may be a child, but don't give him what he wants! Kids need to learn to except loosing, its hard, but it must be done. Otherwise I find this show remotly cute, and I'm sort of sure some kids may like it, but the attitudes and dumb questions are quite annoying. (I know, I'm too old to watch it anyways, but I just was curious-its the human way, and it is infact a KIDS show, and they try to make it simple. But I'm pretty darn sure toddlers would have figured out why the koala was crying much faster than the cast did consittering he was crying the reason outloud) Anyway, good show.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bydiga May 28, 2010

Mixed message

My child is starting to act like the characters and it seems that she needs to have tantrums to get what she wants. Not recommended.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byRfrady May 18, 2010

Excessive Negative Behavior

We home school our son, and while we lament the lack of social interaction our son gets, the NickJr shows have some good social interactions shows. Initially I thought this show was one of them, but our son began exhibiting anger ALL THE TIME and mimicking the Ni Hao characters. He would constantly stomp through the house kicking things and screaming "I'm Mad" and throwing tantrums. All the while quoting Ni Hao lines. We have banned this show for our son because it teaches negative behavior much more than positive behavior. It is a shame, because the characters are loveable to kids and they like to sing the little ditties they sing. This show needs to focus more on positive behavior than spending 75% of the show on negative with 10% on positive correction and the rest on cultural things. My wife speaks Hokkien Chinese and we appreciate the introduction to Chinese culture. My Wife and I are both teachers and wholeheartedly do not recommend it.