All member reviews for Ni Hao, Kai-lan

Parent of a 4 year old Written byTwin Mom1232 July 26, 2010

Bad Behavior of Characters Outweigh the Good Messages

I'm so happy to see other parents noticed a change in their children's behavior after watching this, because I did too! My 4-yr-old twins really liked this show, but then I began to notice my son stomping around the house, shouting constantly, kicking his sister, and throwing temper tantrums all the time. When I heard him repeatedly shout "I am SOOO mad!" it rang a bell and I watched Kai-Lan with them and sure enough, he was imitating the terrible behavior of Kai-Lan's bratty friends. So this adorable little show is now banned in our house. It's too bad though--my daughter loved it, and would clap like Kai-Lan to "figure out...what to do!" And hearing them repeat the Chinese phrases was really cute. I think regarding the show's other characters, parents will just have to see what their children take away from this show. Hopefully it's the good messages!
Parent of a 2 year old Written bystacey253 May 2, 2010

TAUGHT MY SON TO HIT, STOMP, AND ACT VIOLENT!

My 2 1/2 year old son mysteriously began using violence when he is not exposed to other little kids often to pick it up from them. I could not figure out where in the world he was learning terms like "I'm going to stomp you." He also began hitting and stomping on the floor, threatening to stomp me. I couldn't figure out how in the world my usually sweet little boy was learning to be so angry. Then I watched the show with him one day (he usually watched it w/his grammy/papa) and I heard the characters using these terms and hitting each other. Now my little man has a terrible problem with stomping, hitting, kicking, or acting in a violent manner whenever he does not like something or does not get his way. I think the opening credits of the show should make it very clear that the show is NOT for children under a certain age, because little tikes are not cognitively mature enough to pick up the message. In fact, all it did was TEACH my son the very behavior it was advocating against. I'm a little upset that I now have to un-train my son of this behavior. Hitting and violence is something the parents should teach, not something they learn on a child's cartoon by watching the characters act out in a violent manner. I would not recommend it to any child under 5.
Adult Written bysp. ed. teacher mom April 9, 2010

Why so much negativity?

I do not like this show! There's always an angry character who is mad, kicking sand, or having a tantrum. Last night my 21 month old daughter was watching and came into the kitchen and said, "I'm really made like tiger!" Why do they always have to have an angry character in each episode? It's so unnecessary!
Parent of a 3 year old Written byjeep30girl August 28, 2010

Remove Ni Hao KEEP Dora and Diego

Hate it - It has taught my child to use Im MAD stomp his foot, throw major tantrums (More than a normal), throw things when he is mad (More than a normal), Hit and push other kids (More than a normal).
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Oh, no...a repeat of Dora the Explorer!!!

This show is pretty much a complete and total knock-off of Dora the Explorer. Some creepy foriegn kid with a football head and a wierd monkey side-kick. I've seen it all before. She's always saying "Say This!" or something like that, and asking some kind of question to the TV screen. I mean, sure, it IS better than Dora(even though I've only seen one episode of this show), but still, it's a knock off.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bydiga May 28, 2010

Mixed message

My child is starting to act like the characters and it seems that she needs to have tantrums to get what she wants. Not recommended.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byRfrady May 18, 2010

Excessive Negative Behavior

We home school our son, and while we lament the lack of social interaction our son gets, the NickJr shows have some good social interactions shows. Initially I thought this show was one of them, but our son began exhibiting anger ALL THE TIME and mimicking the Ni Hao characters. He would constantly stomp through the house kicking things and screaming "I'm Mad" and throwing tantrums. All the while quoting Ni Hao lines. We have banned this show for our son because it teaches negative behavior much more than positive behavior. It is a shame, because the characters are loveable to kids and they like to sing the little ditties they sing. This show needs to focus more on positive behavior than spending 75% of the show on negative with 10% on positive correction and the rest on cultural things. My wife speaks Hokkien Chinese and we appreciate the introduction to Chinese culture. My Wife and I are both teachers and wholeheartedly do not recommend it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrebma97 April 11, 2011

Cute, educational, show for preschoolers

My little brothers love this show. I admit that it's a cute show. It teaches you some Chinese (my brothers picked up on some Chinese language), and it has postive messages on how to deal with anger, patience, and more. I know some parents don't like this show because of Tolre (the koala) and Rentoo (the tiger)'s bad behavior, but I think that it does a good job showing kids how to deal with emotional issues. But that's just my opinion.
Parent of a 2, 13, and 21 year old Written bygkoneski April 16, 2009

Even though this, on the surface is a very cute kids show, and in the beginning, I had taped (dvr) all of them for my 2 1/2 year old daughter being she liked them so much, I started to notice that she was picking up the bad little personality quirks of the characters Tolie, and sometimes Rintoo when they act like brats when something goes wrong, or they don't get their way. Instead of picking up the positive messages and actions from the characters, she picked up all the negative. She would copy their exact phrases and actions...so I know it wasn't just the terrible twos. We have since erased all the shows, and don't let her watch them anymore. Ill stick with Dora as she doesn't have any bratty acting friends, or shows that don't have their characters throwing tantrums when they don't get their way. This show would be really great if they took the bratty attitude concept of the characters away.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byNoot May 17, 2011

Not for toddlers

While the show itself is cute and draws children in, younger kids immitate the negative attitudes of the characters when they don't get their way. Folded arms, saying, "I'm mad," kicking items, and storming away are discouraged (i'm sure) in most homes. A two year old does not get the "big picture" and relates only to what is seen and in turn immiates it. While leaning about different emotions is important, this show is geared more toward older children who can talk to their parents about what they're feeling and how to handle those feelings appropriately. My son no longer watches and he is throwing fewer tantrums and not announcing that he's mad or quits while kicking something with his hands folded.
Parent Written bysmoon May 31, 2011

WHY YOUR KIDS SHOULD BE WATCHING IT.

I've seen several reviews where parents are upset by their children's behavior after watching the show, but the TV show is only supposed to be a tool for learning, parents need to be part of the process too. If your child is behaving badly, do you act like Kai-Lan? Do you show them you care by trying to figure out what is wrong? Then teach them the right thing to do instead? If the parent isn't behaving like Kai-Lan than the kids are going to behave badly whether they watch this show or not. Kai-Lan is there to help the PARENTS teach the kids, she can't do all the work for you! My little girl is two years old and it already works on her. The other day she was not sharing her toy and I reminded her of one of the episodes on taking turns, and she turned to her friend and said "ok, your turn". She loves the characters so that encourages her to do the right thing like they do, all she needs is a little reminder from mom! Before you pass the blame on this show try being more involved in your kids behavior, and if you don't know how to handle your kids behavior with or without the show, then look into Applied Behavior Analysis.
Teen, 14 years old Written byInvader_Zib March 24, 2009

Gave Up On Dora, Didn't Ya?

I'll only say only say one thing..........................................HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA! DORA GOT REPLACED!! LOL, THAT'S FUNNY! oh, yea, THIS SHOW IS CREEPY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) ~InvaderZib~
Parent Written byYomij July 21, 2011

Worst kid show on tv

The show teaches kids negative behaviors. Every single episode has one of the characters acting out. For once it would be nice to tune in as see the characters exhibiting some positive behavior. My daughter started saying she was mad about everything, after seeing the show. Worst kid program on tv.
Kid, 11 years old April 30, 2011

Very educational!

If you ask me, this show is very educational! I like it. Anybody who actually hates this show is stupid. I like it, I watch it sometimes and it gives me tears of joy because it is such a beautiful show. A 1 year old could even watch this because it teaches kids chinease words. I love it!
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written bypa2425 March 4, 2011

great values and education

I love this show for my daughters - i prefer this show over dora or diego any day. This show focuses on emotions and how to cope with them and how to resolve frustrating situations. it displays great examples of cooperation and friendship based values. it also incorporates another language into my childrens' vocabulary and one that is not widely taught- as Spanish is taught in their daycare and more commonly spoken. I appreciate this show as they have the character Kai-Lan appropriately dressed as well, my duaghters no loner watch dora the explorer because my 3 year old started to want her tummy to show all the time like Dora's does and we believe modest is hottest and will raise our children that way.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byDisappointed Ni... September 24, 2010

NOT FOR TWO YEAR OLDS!

My 2 year old son started watching this show about six months ago and has been kicked out of 3 daycares. I didn't know why my son became aggressive or started saying he was "MAD" all the time until I watched the show. Oh my goodness! Then, the light bulb went off. Wow! This is so aweful! I am banning my son from watching this show. I hope his behavior improves.
Kid, 12 years old July 9, 2010

Failure

Kai-Lan's voice makes me want to die.
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byvmerrell August 29, 2009

Great for 4 and up, not so great for younger ones.

Kai-lan is GREAT! Her friends who exhibit the bad behaviour...not so great. My 2 year old constantly comes away with the bad behaviour instead of the corrected behaviour!
Parent of a 2 year old Written bySheenaLongland November 15, 2010

It's okay.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byRosemama215 February 10, 2010

Great show for Toddlers and Preschoolers

This is a great show for toddlers and preschoolers, they need to make more shows like this one. It teaches children how to express their emotions and how to turn negitive behavior and emotions into appropriate ones. The teamwork and friendship aspects are wonderful too. It's very educational and teaching a few chinese is a plus too.