All member reviews for Ni Hao, Kai-lan

Cultural content, good messages make show a hit.

Parent of an infant year old Written byAllisha December 14, 2009

Kid, 11 years old October 18, 2009

Great show for toddlers.

Parents need to know that this series gives good messageds to the pre-school audience and teaches some pretty good chinease.While kids 2-7 will like it...this might not be enjoyable to the Tween and Teen audiences.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byarudek805 September 26, 2009

Empathy Education

This show is along the same vein as Dora in terms of it's presentational style. What really sets it apart is the emphasis on learning to be aware of the feelings and perspectives of others. The integration of Chinese words in nice, but unlike the Spanish in Dora it is harder to practice this with the kids because I'm learning for the first time in the episode with them.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byShortyJH68 August 18, 2009

Good show for young ones!

It helps teach a different language. It is a positive show, not too keen on the bad attitudes some have, but it does show how to solve the problem.
Parent of a 1 and 2 year old Written bymommyoftwo July 16, 2009

Great for kids.

My son loves this show. I like that it helps teach him Chinese, he loves going to the restaurants and trying to talk to them :). He also likes helping trying to figure out problems. I am not to down on the attitudes they have sometimes cause all children go through that and they show them how to handle it correctly.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byEDanner July 15, 2009

Great for kids, not too bad for parents.

My daughter loves this show. She likes to "help" the characters by yelling out the Chinese words. The melody of the two main songs is the same, so this can be a little trying for the parent, but my child enjoys the repetition and that she can always hum along. With toddlers, the parent should watch as well, so you know what your child is saying when they start picking up words from another language.
Parent of a 3 and 9 year old Written byGiovanny May 19, 2009

I like it

Es un programa muy educatiov para toda clase de ninos y me gustaria tener mas videos e informacion acerca de estos programas interesantes graciass de ante mano y hasta la vista
Parent of a 2, 13, and 21 year old Written bygkoneski April 16, 2009

Even though this, on the surface is a very cute kids show, and in the beginning, I had taped (dvr) all of them for my 2 1/2 year old daughter being she liked them so much, I started to notice that she was picking up the bad little personality quirks of the characters Tolie, and sometimes Rintoo when they act like brats when something goes wrong, or they don't get their way. Instead of picking up the positive messages and actions from the characters, she picked up all the negative. She would copy their exact phrases and actions...so I know it wasn't just the terrible twos. We have since erased all the shows, and don't let her watch them anymore. Ill stick with Dora as she doesn't have any bratty acting friends, or shows that don't have their characters throwing tantrums when they don't get their way. This show would be really great if they took the bratty attitude concept of the characters away.
Kid, 9 years old February 21, 2009

I love the show!

I love to watch this show even though I'm to old for it.I watch it on Noggin channel 223 on my TV.Ni Hao Kai-Lan is good for younger children because it teaches good manners and how to identify feelings.It also helps preschoolers cope with their feelings.
Adult Written byxMadxScientistx February 19, 2009

Highly repetitive and annoying.

I feel like this is an extension of Dora the Explorer. Characters with enormous, alien looking eyes that say essentially the same things every episode aren't what I would call educational.
Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written bymar0271 January 15, 2009

Fantastic show!

My 2+ year old LOVES this show, and it's the first show she actually has interacted with. She always responds to Kai Lan's questions and repeats the Chinese words when prompted. It has a wonderful lesson and message each episode and I love the animation as well. A great show for the little ones.
Kid, 12 years old November 29, 2008

I really wish this show came out when I was a baby. After seeing the movie Mulan, I had been really interested in Chinese culture, and could've benefited from watching a show like this and learning how to speak Mandarin Chinese. I watch it sometimes when I'm home sick, and I learn different words from it each time I see it. People often say it's a rip-off of Dora the Explorer-- I say no, it's just a better version. Dora is highly annoying with her songs and whatnot, Kai-Lan only has one or two songs she sings from episode to episode. Anyway, people of all ages can benefit from learning a new language (I guess even Dora is beneficial, to a lot of people, considering how long the show's run for).
Adult Written bymargaritamadnes... April 9, 2008

I loved it!! super fun to watch!!

I think this show is a super great show and a great way to learn!!
Adult Written bynycaznbabe April 9, 2008

Parent of a 2 year old Written bypamelapar April 9, 2008

I like the socio-emotional lessons

I watched this with my almost-3-year-old son and I felt like it did a good job of addressing issues of dealing with emotions (specifically, anger). It handled this very timely issue in a way that was really engaging and age-appropriate for him. One of the kid reviews called this a rip-off of Dora the Explorer, and, as far as the cultural lessons go, that might be true, but the socio-emotional lessons (how to deal with anger, how to be patient, etc.) are very different than you get with Dora -- or anything else my son really likes to watch.
Adult Written byyilaine April 9, 2008

My son LOVES it

Adult Written bygodiva9 April 9, 2008

Great Show!

We love the show, but wish that they would speak more mandarine. I would also like the words to be presented at the bottom of the screen. Overall we Love the show!!
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Oh, no...a repeat of Dora the Explorer!!!

This show is pretty much a complete and total knock-off of Dora the Explorer. Some creepy foriegn kid with a football head and a wierd monkey side-kick. I've seen it all before. She's always saying "Say This!" or something like that, and asking some kind of question to the TV screen. I mean, sure, it IS better than Dora(even though I've only seen one episode of this show), but still, it's a knock off.
Adult Written bymamaKim April 9, 2008

first we have dora and diego teaching spanish now this teaching chinese. no wonder my 3 year old still can't say anything but Mama, he's probably confused on what to speak.
Adult Written bycalgal April 9, 2008

Love the show

I realize this show is a little close to Dora, But my daughter is adopted from China and I believe that not only for her but for many other children it is a wonderful show for learning chinese and the culture it brings along with getting along with others, helping others and so on. I enjoy watching this show with my daughter and hope the show stays around. There are quit a bit of children that are being adopted from asia, and I know there is alot of adoption parents that really like the show.