All member reviews for No Ordinary Family

Superpowers bring family closer; fun for teens and up.

Parent of a 7 year old Written bytnmsher September 29, 2010

No "Incredibles" Here

This is not family entertainment. How do I explain to my 7 year-old about virginity and why the young girl is upset about not having done "it" yet? Also, the mother calling the daughter's best friend a "b" because she was sleeping with her daughter's boyfriend? Just not necessary. Again this perpetuates the idea that "everyone" is having sex-- and the girl didn't look older than 15. Also, the gun scene with the father catching bullets-- it really made guns look like toys (who in their right mind would consent to fire one at his best friend?). Not happy at all with how this show was billed as the next "Incredibles." We will not be watching.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bybigbuttspoop September 12, 2013

Ya Hibibi YA Zift

Anto Hemar Ya Cleab Ya ibnil kelb e dak be tezak
Kid, 11 years old April 5, 2011

My favorite show

They have a few swears but this show is my favorite. They come up with great people ( I like Joshua and Katie) and though it can be intense it seems like they always have new ideas! Just as a warning: they never made a second season.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCritiNumba1 February 11, 2011

Family Fun

I like this show, it is fun and great for the family. But in one episode nothing is shown because they close the door, but clearly Katie and her boyfriend, who's name is STILL not identified, had sex. Once Stephanie was in the shower, and then shown wrapped in a towel. The a word, h world , d word, and b word are used. Stephanie gets drunk. But I really think this show is exciting and mind racing for the family
Teen, 15 years old Written byDarkArcher64 February 8, 2011

Alot of Violence, Horror, Language, and Sexual Content

I never get scared, weather it's a horror movie or a creepy story. Until the scenario can really happen, that's what's the problem with this show. I love this show, my favorite show actually. Bank Robbers, Muderers, Wedding Crashers, Car Jackers. A ton of shotting, horror, and overall, a violent TV show. But there is alot of Sci-Fi Violence which has alot of special affects. Superpowers from strengh to shapeshifting, to being able to kill someone without touching them. Sexual Refrences and Situations. Some innapropriate language, and in the end not a family show, 12 and up at the least. 14 and up is good. But not a kids show and kind of scared me, which is suprising.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRellee February 2, 2011

Great show. Though the kids behavior is sometimes not very respectful and they can be rebellious and anger tempered. I guess thats now how America has perceived an "ordinary" family nowadays...
Teen, 16 years old Written byWebCriticGirl76 January 5, 2011

Fun, Creative, and Exciting!

This show is very fun, and I would let kids all ages watch it when I have kids in a few years. It has shooting, fighting, crashes. There is some sex scenes, many episodes referring to sex. Stephanie gets drunk at one scene, and they use medium level language. I watch this show every Tuesday and love it. It is fun, exciting, sweet, romantic, and just plain awesome!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBeachqueen_13 November 4, 2010

Perfect for tweens and above

This show is so amazing! It has good messages and it is good family show. My dad, little sister, and I watch it together and everybody loves it!
Kid, 12 years old October 30, 2010

ok for tweens

ok
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written bycrazi4mykidz October 17, 2010

okay if you don't object to foul language

This is not a show that can be claimed family-friendly, unless the family is one that accepts foul language and blatant disrespect for parental authority.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 13 year old Written byknit3tog October 12, 2010

Had potential, but disappointed us...

This show had potential. We watched the first episode, and I was extremely disappointed to hear a mother of a middle school aged girl explain to her husband that the daughter wasn't "ready" yet to have a sexual relationship, as if it was merely a lifestyle choice that a 13 year old is mature enough to decide.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byjobillnyc October 9, 2010

It is a great show for action-lovers, yet it might seem like a take-off of The Incredibles or Sky High. Very interesting, intense action at some points.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bySabriHan October 9, 2010

When did "mild swearing" include "Whore." How about "strong swearing?" This was hard to watch with a tween. And with the premise being superheros, it's too bad they couldn't include a larger audience.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMillyMolly October 8, 2010

I love it no matter what

I watch this series on my own, and its fine. Its not a thing that a whole family would watch together unless the kids are like over 11 yrs old. Ive only watched 2 episodes...so I dont know anymore of the series.
Adult Written bymontanamommy October 4, 2010

Not a winner.

I wanted to love this show -- there are so few network shows that we can watch as a family -- but it fell short. I enjoyed the portrayal of a family so into their iPhones that they ignore one another -- a good message there -- but felt that the extreme violence and focus on teen sex made the show inappropriate for my kids, ages 10 and 12. Bullets at point-blank range? Kids calling each other "whore"? Perhaps my real issue is with lazy screenwriters who take shortcuts rather than work to establish characters the old-fashioned way. Maybe No Ordinary Family will improve with time, but I don't know that I'll watch it again.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byJenniewr October 1, 2010

Concept is great, was so dissappointed when I previewed it for our family. Where are the family shows for those with kids under 12?
Teen, 14 years old Written bytheFirelives September 29, 2010

Clean and positive messages galore.

I was pleasantly surprised at how clean this show is. The violence is incredibly mild, and it's a fun show overall. The biggest concern would be the brief discussions teenagers have on sex, however, sex while a teen is not promoted, in fact staying a virgin is shown to be a worthy goal by the daughter and is refreshing to see. If your child knows about sex, then this will most likely be positive reinforcement, but you may want to preview the episode first to see if your child will handle it well. The last concern would be a few swear words. Again, depends on your kids. Bearing in mind that most kids hear worse in school every day. I love how the family really cares about one another, and are "dysfunctional" in the mildest sense. Being too busy and not always getting along are about as bad as it gets. The whole show is about the family wanting to get closer and working at it. With super powers! Making it fun and enjoyable.
Adult Written byteachermom1619 September 29, 2010

DISAPPOINTING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sooooooo disappointing! I was hoping for a show the whole family could watch together. Why all the sexual comments from a teenage girl? Could have been so much better. Too bad there are no family shows out there. We'll just continue to keep it turned OFF!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymeldog September 29, 2010

So I thought this would be a family show we could all watch together: mom, dad, 10 and almost 8 year old with the baby in bed. Sounds like a family show, looks like a family show, but not really a family show. They gotta tone down the language and the sex talk. "Dumb @$$" in the first few minutes of the show - not necessary. W*ore and b#@ch - not necessary. I had to be on my toes every time the daughter opened her mouth. Thought it was entertaining. Most of it was ok. But the parts that weren't will keep us from watching as a family and that's a shame.