Precocious pig offers positive messages for preschoolers.

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byCurleyQ72 January 17, 2011

Olivia seems a little self indulgent....

I have watched parts of Olivia and thought she had a great imagination, but the other day I actually sat down and watched an entire episode. It was the one where Olivia had a very tiny part in the school play. She was not really happy about this and engineered a "big finale" for her character. I used it as a "teaching moment" with my daughter about how you can't always be the center of attention and that there may be times that we have to take a backseat to others (like a school play). I don't want my kids to think it is OK to upstage their friends....maybe it was just this episode, but she seemed a little self-indulgent to me.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byLilybugsMom February 6, 2011
Although I like Olivia's imagination, self confidence and propensity for mischief in the original book, I think it goes a bit too far in the television show. Nick Jr.'s Olivia is, in short, a brat. She bosses her friends, she hogs the spotlight, she thinks she is better than everyone else, and her family inexplicably gives in to her every demand and whim. In one episode, she is required to give a report on a country of her choosing and bring a dish. She changes her mind multiple times with no regard to the work her mother puts in to preparing the food for her, and then finally, in the ultimate display of unchecked self absorbtion, settles on a MADE UP COUNTRY NAMED AFTER HERSELF. There's confidence and self esteem, and then there's arrogance and entitlement. Unfortunately, Olivia exemplifies the latter two.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bybythesea October 8, 2009

Bossy Pig

I think Olivia is mean to her brother and often annoyed by him. This show does not foster great sibling relationships. Also, her mother asks her to do things, and she complains and doesn't always listen. This pig is a bossy spoiled role model.
Parent Written byreadingroom1537 January 2, 2012

Olivia is a very spoiled pig.

Olivia is a spoiled, selfish, pig who sets a very bad example for young children. Her stories exemplify everything that is wrong with parenting today.When did it become acceptable for children to ignore their parents and behave as if they are in charge? Self confidence and imagination are great qualities worth promoting, but not at the cost of order and respect. Olivia needs to listen more and demand less.
Adult Written byTheViolinist123 December 31, 2009

Wonderful show for Kids!

I think this is a great show that should stay on Nick Jr. It is educational, fun, and displays a good role model for children. I hope the show stays longer for my kid to see. :)
Parent Written byMommy2two August 22, 2011

Bossy little pig

Plain and simple: Olivia is a bossy little pig.
Kid, 10 years old February 2, 2011

Olivia is a great role model

This is a great show for kids' imaginations because it always shows Olivia using hers. I really like the characters because they always talk nicely to others and and never fight. I disagree with the other reviews that say that Olivia is spoiled and always wants to be the center of attention. She is only a six year old kid and that's how they act! You should definetly watch this show.
Parent Written byScioto September 17, 2015

Has some pros and some cons

My 3yr old and I will watch it occasionally. The pros are that the animation is cute. Olivia has a great imagination. It does show how youngsters interact sometimes. The cons are she assumes the world revolves around her. Her parents overly indulge her. She does end up learning a lesson sometimes but at the cost of others actions and annoyance.
Parent of a 4, 5, 16, 18+, and 18+ year old Written byrnmomof5 November 6, 2010

we love olivia!

My 4 and 5 year old daughters adore Olivia! And actually it is the only kids show that I really enjoy as well. As for the other reviews about Olivia being selfish or Francine being a clean freak...well, kids are kids and God didn't create anyone perfect. This show is about how real kids interact, not good all the time, not bad all the time, just kids. We love the books and the tv show! Can't wait for more new episodes!
Parent of a 1, 4, 7, 11, 16, and 18+ year old Written bypopcornpop1997 March 15, 2009

Hmmm...

The books are dumb and pointless, a 4 year old could have written them! I mean really, 5 words on a page! Wow! So... they made a TV show out of it? I don't know what to say about that... but I guess any age could see it because there is nothing wrong with it, its just STUPID!
Teen, 16 years old Written byteamjacobgirl2.0 December 31, 2010

Cute little pig

Oliva's a cute show and my 4 year old sister loves it.
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byachilleseffect January 3, 2010

Olivia provides good role models for boys and girls

I have to disagree with the reviewer who said the Olivia books are stupid. They are actually very clever and Olivia, while a tad impatient with her brother (hardly an unrealistic situation), is a good-hearted, intelligent and creative character. As role models go, I think she is very good. She has many interests, has tenacity and is never afraid to try new things. As a precocious youngster, she appeals to both boys and girls. She gets into mischief occasionally, but that is part of childhood. She learns from her mistakes and her family supports her and shows kids that no matter what, their parents will love them. Unlike the case with many other programs for children, Olivia's father provides a good male role model. He is involved with his children to a far greater degree than in the books. Overall, this show is a winner.
Kid, 10 years old June 24, 2009

I like it

Nothing bad. No in-your-face talk.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 7 year old Written bysarahastrid October 21, 2015

This isn't the Olivia from the books.

Ian Falconer's Olivia is just the right blend of five-year-old over-confidence, cuteness and naughtiness, but NickJr's version of her is insufferable. She is an over-validated, over-indulged attention hog. I have seen ten or so episodes that had a just tolerable ick factor, but we just watched the episode where she swaps identities with Princess Stephanie from Poshtonia. The way she finally reveals herself to be the real Olivia is by reciting the secret Princess Pledge she shares with her friends, which includes the dictates to always "be pretty," "smell nice" and "sparkle." Ew. No thanks, NickJr. Self absorption, dishonesty without consequence and rigid gender constructs are not lessons I want to teach my children.
Parent Written byjanetn April 5, 2015

People are blaming the wrong pig...Olivia is a good pig!

Olivia is a bright little girl (pig) and she has a big imagination and enjoys being a big sister even if Ian her younger brother can be a pain. I truthfully don't understand the comments about her being bossy, self centered, and mean to others. I think they need to check what they are watching because that is Peppa pig not Olivia. Her and her siblings look out for each other even when they argue unlike Peppa she is mean. Anyway this about Olivia and she is like a girl her age should be imaginative, bright, at times a little bossy but nothing overboard. Olivia is respectful of the adults in her life as well. I hope you give this a chance and not listen to those other horrible reviews.
Parent of an infant, 3, 6, 9, 9, 10, and 12 year old Written byThe Mom who bakes July 26, 2016

Try it...

This show is my 6yo's favorite, but my 3yo is afraid of Olivia's ears. (They are pretty darn big) It depends on your kid. If you have a child who is afraid of big ears or problems not being solved (my 3yo) don't let them watch. My 6yo has everything Olivia, so if you let your child watch this, expect a phase of "Olivia says" and her being on plates, backpacks, and even toothpaste tubes.
Parent of a 1 year old Written byButterdragon513 May 12, 2016

Poorly made

I was first struck by Olivia's mother.. At the end of the show when she's putting Olivia to bed, she doesn't want even listen to Olivia's day... She cuts her off and says what ever she had to, to get out of there... Also I agree with a lot of the other reviews... Olivia is rather self absorbed... She just does what ever she can to be the centre of attention, or have the last word... I would only use it a teaching aid if I needed to point out how NOT to act...
Parent Written byDehns October 24, 2014

Pay attention and it's great.

My daughter was mailled an Olivia stuffed animal when she was very young, and we later hunted down some episodes to see what she thought. She instantly fell in love with the show and later asked for it by name. We don't have cable, so we watched via YouTube and the only ten episodes available were just fine. They were positive, there was teamwork, fair play, lots of imagination, and they were fun. Today Youtube has added more episodes and after one regarding Olivia playing soccer, I've decided to pre-screen the episodes. Not only was Olivia's behavior poor, but I was also disappointed by the role models in the episode. I know pre-screening isn't easy if your child watches via cable, but if you use an on-demand service, I highly recommend viewing in advance. If my daughter was old enough to imitate Olivia's actions, I'd be really concerned, but she hasn't hit that stage just yet. So yes, I would recommend Olivia, but I recommend watching episodes in advance to avoid unwanted influence.
Teen, 16 years old Written byfunkyrooster707 October 30, 2013

exellent kids programming

good show its not whiney or annoying i even sometimes watch it with my little sister
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheBombFunn July 27, 2013

Why so much hate?

I like this cartoon. No in-your-face talk.