All member reviews for One Piece

Close friends chase their dreams in high-seas adventure.

Teen, 17 years old Written byschuym1 December 26, 2010

Best anime ever

This review is for the subbed Japanese version. The show is has a great mix of comedy and action. The straw hat pirates' back stories make me sad and like the characters even more. The 4Kids version is horrible. They butchered the show!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byfb62 February 12, 2011

Language is not appropriate for younger kids

My main concern about this show is the language. It is not appropriate for kids. Words like b***ch, a***ole, are dubbed and also subtitled. I was very surprised when watching it with my son, who loves the show.
Kid, 12 years old August 19, 2010

It rocks if you are a mature kid

(NOT the 4kids dub) This show does have lots of violence, some of it really scary, but that's what the viewers usually like. One of the main characters does say words that translate as feces, and they say bad words. Underage drinking, smoking, etc. On to the good stuff now. One of the main themes is strive for your dream. Luffy, the main character, said something like "If I die, at least I tried and had fun". Not saying you have to die, but he strives for his dreams instead of sitting around, just hearing about the bushels of fun he could get. Another is friendship. He and the crew put their dreams on halt to help a friend save her country. In all, a great series. Great reading material, and if you want, watching material. Just be warned the idiots at 4KIDS change loads of stuff, including the heritage, believing that kids don't know what an eggplant is.
Kid, 10 years old April 28, 2011

trust me,the FUNimation version is MUCH,MUCH BETTER than the 4kids version.Other Anime 4kids has ruined is Magical Doremi,and Tokyo Mew Mew.I hope they never take Fairy Tail or Ouran HSHC.
Kid, 10 years old February 11, 2010

perfect for older tweens ,but not for younger tweens(6&under)

Kid, 12 years old March 8, 2010

My 4kids dub review

I hate the 4kids dub of one piece. It has a crappy rap song and too much editing. 4kids is racist to shounen(boys) manga. curse them. skip this dub. get the funimation dub instead.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKinbJune April 19, 2011

MANY PIECES... To the plot.

It just talks about pirates and how they want to get this thing called "One Piece". It's a Shonen Jump show, so you can infer that the plot line takes VERY long to get on its feet, and it will take very long before the show comes to an end. I watch the Japanese "Naruto Shippuden", so I have seen how many chapters there are for "One Piece". So far, there have been 634 chapters, which generates about 1 episode per 2 chapters. That's 317 episodes! They're not even done with it in Japan! It takes so long that following the story line is next to impossible because you forget what happened in the last episodes because the story line is taking too long! They have a lot of teammates and I don't know where all these extra people are coming from. Watch this show if you want, but I assure you, by the end of the series, you'll be scratching your head trying to figure out what the heck just happened!
Teen, 16 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 May 29, 2010

Leave 4kids behind

This is the review of the 4kids dub, a bad but perfect dub for little kids. For the older audiences who don't want to read subtitles, Funimation is the best. However, the origional japanese version nearly has everything on the "bad" list. Drinking, lots of blood and violence, swearing (in the unofficial translations you see on the web), smoking (like the Captian Smoker, who can turn into smoke and smokes cigars), partial nudity but nothing major, and some other bad stuff. Please note though- this isn't bad for anyone around 14 or 15. The message said constantly is "never give up" or "Always follow your dreams", and Luffy never leaves his friends behind or betrays them; and neither do they. Last thing- this show is long, like- 500+ episodes long; meaning it needs to end but it's not even close to the ending.
Adult Written byWarKittens December 4, 2009

FUNimation dub: One of the best animes ever

My first review! Here I go! Personally, I think that this is one of if not the best anime out there. As for who it's appropriate for, you really just have to know you kids. Violence: This anime is based off the manga of the same name. Since it is a shounen (Japanese for boy or young boy) anime/manga, there is going to be quite a bit of fighting and violence. Yes, there is quite a bit of blood, specifically in the fights that have Zoro (the swordsmen) as one of the participants. However, the violence is never without purpose. The main pirates, the Straw Hat Pirates, never just go out and pick fights with anyone they meet. There is always a reason. In fact, Luffy's role model told him that fighting isn't always the answer "You can pour booze on me. You can spit on me. You can punch me. I'll probably just laught that stuff off. But if you hurt a friend of mine...That is something I cannot forgive!" Sexual Content: while there hasn't been much as of yet (Season 2, Fourth voyage coming soon as I type this) There will be a bit coming up. I know this because I watch the Japanese version and can tell which parts are going to be dubbed next. While the only thing that pops up is a bit of revealing clothing, in the Arabasta arc, there is a bath house scene. In Japan, bathing is a social event, but never do men and women bathe together. There is a separate section for each sex. A few hundred episodes later, there is the Amazon Lily Arc, where Luffy is sent to the Island of Women. Nothing happens, but that may be someting that parents will want to watch out for. Language: In Japan, there aren't relaly any ways to curse. Instead, they just say things in a disrespectful manner. That doesn't have as much of an impact in America, so they add in a bit of language to convey the same meaning. Words such as @$$, h311, d@mn, and cr@p are used somewhat frequently. Sanji the chef uses cr@p/py fairly often (in Japan he says kuso which translates literally to excrement). Product Placement: Absolutely none. Drinking, Drugs, or Smoking: They are pirates, after all, so drinking is to be expected. Sanji does smoke quite a bit, and a few other characters smoke cigars, but that's it. In the Amazon Lily arc, Luffy eats a mushroom that turns out to be a special "Growing out of your body mushroom" that forces other mushrooms to grow out of his body, almost killing him. Remember kids, shrooms are bad for you! Messages: Each arc has their own villain with their own set of bad values which are then stomped upon by Luffy and the rest of the Straw Hats. Example: Buggy says that gold, jewels, and other various shineys are the only kinds of treasure and that nothing else could ever be of value. Luffy's straw hat disagrees. Role Models: Yes, Nami is a theif. We've established that. It is stressed that while her kleptomania has come in handy, it is the result of years of trying to pay back basically a mob boss to save her village. Kids don't have that problem. Usopp is a liar. The reason the Straw Hats have to fight so hard in the Captain Kuro arc is because of Usopp's lying, basically making it the boy who cried pirate. Overall: One of the better animes out there. while there is quite a bit of violence, some language, and some tobacco and alcohol usage, the show in general is one of the best, especially if you like plot twists.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTetsuo January 18, 2011

This was the best anime i ever watched. mostly because of the comedy. Nothing wrong about it. have some bad role models some good ones.Like nami she steals treasure But for a good reasonn, to buy back her land that the pirates took away. And some bad role models like the the bad guys ( of course ) any ways this show has a good over all message, follow your dreams. Each of the good guys have there own dream and try to accomplish it as the follow there captain.Violence is the only issue if your like age 5.
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2010

terrific show (the funimation kind) ^_^

THIS IS THE 4KIDS TV KIND. WATCH THE FUNIMATION KIND >:) ilove the One Piece seiries, but i watch it in Japanese. If you dont know Japanese, but enjoy the manga and Anime, you should watch it in eng. dubb. Throughout the siries, the Straw Hat Pirates meet good (and sometimes) bad characters. They always stick up for whats right. There is lots of fighting, but for good reasons, like for saving others. Luffy is mostly a good role model. (but he loves meat ._....and i was Zoro for Halloween...i know. Im a dork :))) There is swearing like dam*, bastar*, and thats pretty much it. There is a couple of girls on the pirate ship (nami and nico) but they dont act badly or wear skimpy stuff. *cough* and there is ZERO sexual behavior. ;) overall, a pretty good show 8)
Teen, 16 years old Written byNoreht December 5, 2010

PERFECT FOR EVERYONE

It's a great anime! 4Kids ruined the show. Watch the japanese version and read the subtitles, it's much better. Less censored etc
Adult Written byZephos April 9, 2008

A word about the overseas transition

In the tradition of every great adventure story youv'e ever known comes something entirely different. In the tradition of a shame comes the english adaption of this japanese television show. The "good stuff" rating was for the original version. The adaption shown on Tv here gets a low low grade on the quality scale. But what we have here is a strange trade off. I can see from this site that its some kind of "whats Jr. watching!" place. So ironically its the superior original that will make this "10 and up" show tame. The true One Piece is a bloody,goofy, smoke and liquor filled joy-ride of high adventure and Tarantino meets Walt Disney is all I can think of to descibe it. However the original also features asthetic mastery, the dialouge is well done, the emotions powerful, the humour funny, the settings breathtaking. All of which is lacking from the dumbed down adaption. My advice parents? This show you'll see on television will only give severe head trauma to any aspiring artist and storyteller you have in the family. This is a mangled piece of art that sure DOES seem like a bunch of yelling and fighting once all the intelligence and quality is gone. Maybe when the kids are older you can get them some of the generally well done One Piece comics released by Viz communications, these will provide for good fun and good quality.
Adult Written byJadie April 9, 2008

Kid, 12 years old June 7, 2012

15+

This is the wrong One Piece. There's the Japanese American Dubbed one, the one I watch. It has blood and extreme language (f---, s---, b------, d---, and hell.) The bad language is infrequent, but "d---," is used constantly. The show is really actually good, like the manga, and characters support each other. Lots of action and swordplay, yes, but for a valid reason. Young characters, like Luffy, stand up for their friends. The only problem I have is the instant cursing and the blood. I'd have to say on for 15.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhamarill April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byLeaX59 November 13, 2010

This is the 4kids dub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are reviewing the 4kids dub. Review the FUNimation dub, and you'll actually see an improvement.
Kid, 11 years old January 23, 2011

one piece fan42

I love it and there is a lot of blood, and their awesome role models, and their is a lot of action and fighting i love it. and the Japanese one is awesome too.
Kid, 10 years old April 15, 2010

Don't watch the 4kids, FUNamation is questionable

Hi, I'm new to Common Sense. As you can see by my picture and name, I love One Piece. It's a great show with amazing animation and battles. But don't watch the 4kids version. They toned down so many things, it wasn't even cool anymore. The FUNamation version is questionable. They say alot of bad words, plus all the battles have large amounts of blood on them. Overall, its a great show but make sure which the version you watch is right for you.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008