All member reviews for One Piece

Close friends chase their dreams in high-seas adventure.

Teen, 17 years old Written byschuym1 December 26, 2010

Best anime ever

This review is for the subbed Japanese version. The show is has a great mix of comedy and action. The straw hat pirates' back stories make me sad and like the characters even more. The 4Kids version is horrible. They butchered the show!
Kid, 12 years old August 19, 2010

It rocks if you are a mature kid

(NOT the 4kids dub) This show does have lots of violence, some of it really scary, but that's what the viewers usually like. One of the main characters does say words that translate as feces, and they say bad words. Underage drinking, smoking, etc. On to the good stuff now. One of the main themes is strive for your dream. Luffy, the main character, said something like "If I die, at least I tried and had fun". Not saying you have to die, but he strives for his dreams instead of sitting around, just hearing about the bushels of fun he could get. Another is friendship. He and the crew put their dreams on halt to help a friend save her country. In all, a great series. Great reading material, and if you want, watching material. Just be warned the idiots at 4KIDS change loads of stuff, including the heritage, believing that kids don't know what an eggplant is.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byfb62 February 12, 2011

Language is not appropriate for younger kids

My main concern about this show is the language. It is not appropriate for kids. Words like b***ch, a***ole, are dubbed and also subtitled. I was very surprised when watching it with my son, who loves the show.
Kid, 12 years old March 8, 2010

My 4kids dub review

I hate the 4kids dub of one piece. It has a crappy rap song and too much editing. 4kids is racist to shounen(boys) manga. curse them. skip this dub. get the funimation dub instead.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 1, 2015

Kids have an imagination too..

Although the show does have usage of profanity, it usually is only used during a battle sequence.. Blood is shown heavily, No gore is ever shown.. Parents should be strongly advised for younger audiences..
Educator and Parent Written byMonkey dee luffy March 4, 2013

Japanese sub or funimation

Don't watch the 4kids version they killed me
Teen, 13 years old Written byImnotateenbutgood September 23, 2012

Very mature for Kids' Animation and should be Drama instead

Very mature for kids. Should be on Adult Swim if on TV again.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTetsuo January 18, 2011

This was the best anime i ever watched. mostly because of the comedy. Nothing wrong about it. have some bad role models some good ones.Like nami she steals treasure But for a good reasonn, to buy back her land that the pirates took away. And some bad role models like the the bad guys ( of course ) any ways this show has a good over all message, follow your dreams. Each of the good guys have there own dream and try to accomplish it as the follow there captain.Violence is the only issue if your like age 5.
Adult Written byJadie April 9, 2008

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byxXcoolcatXx July 7, 2013

I approve! Great for pre-teens, teens, and adults!

This is a very good show especially for teens and pre teens, because it really drives home messages such as morality, standing for what you believe in, believing in your dreams, and treating friends (and even strangers) as family. It does have violence and language but if you can learn to look past it, it can give teens and pre teens a good example of character and morality that blends itself well through excellent story telling and great action. Even though the main characters are pirates and talk as such on occasion, they are probably the best and most kind-hearted individuals, and great role models. It is definitely worth the watch.
Adult Written bydgtb1994 January 4, 2012

A Great Show for All Ages

To me, One Piece is the greatest story ever told. It has a great plot with fighting on the side and it has a lot of good messages for both kids and adults.
Kid, 11 years old October 9, 2011

A good part!

it is questionable, I love it! but there is mild sexual parts in the story. good concept. my mom saw the princess madly in love with luffy with a "revealing" top.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKinbJune April 19, 2011

MANY PIECES... To the plot.

It just talks about pirates and how they want to get this thing called "One Piece". It's a Shonen Jump show, so you can infer that the plot line takes VERY long to get on its feet, and it will take very long before the show comes to an end. I watch the Japanese "Naruto Shippuden", so I have seen how many chapters there are for "One Piece". So far, there have been 634 chapters, which generates about 1 episode per 2 chapters. That's 317 episodes! They're not even done with it in Japan! It takes so long that following the story line is next to impossible because you forget what happened in the last episodes because the story line is taking too long! They have a lot of teammates and I don't know where all these extra people are coming from. Watch this show if you want, but I assure you, by the end of the series, you'll be scratching your head trying to figure out what the heck just happened!
Adult Written byheliosmajestus August 14, 2010

Friendship and detrmination pull through in this delightful anime

My review is about the original series. Its about friendship more than anything else. Made for children it provides a colorful world full of imagination especially when compared to the drivel the west produces a large portion of the time. Its violent, so what? Parents worry too much at this point. Our fairy tails and old cartoons weren't that great either in terms of family friendliness. So stop worrying about what might happen, know that this is fun and should not be missed.
Kid, 11 years old July 5, 2010

Because of 4Kids

Yeah,maybe other reviewer is right,this one piece review is from the 4Kids One Piece ,if common sense media is in the japan,this one piece thingy will be on for ages 17 +,or the worst,NOT FOR KIDS and TWEENS.
Adult Written byWarKittens December 4, 2009

FUNimation dub: One of the best animes ever

My first review! Here I go! Personally, I think that this is one of if not the best anime out there. As for who it's appropriate for, you really just have to know you kids. Violence: This anime is based off the manga of the same name. Since it is a shounen (Japanese for boy or young boy) anime/manga, there is going to be quite a bit of fighting and violence. Yes, there is quite a bit of blood, specifically in the fights that have Zoro (the swordsmen) as one of the participants. However, the violence is never without purpose. The main pirates, the Straw Hat Pirates, never just go out and pick fights with anyone they meet. There is always a reason. In fact, Luffy's role model told him that fighting isn't always the answer "You can pour booze on me. You can spit on me. You can punch me. I'll probably just laught that stuff off. But if you hurt a friend of mine...That is something I cannot forgive!" Sexual Content: while there hasn't been much as of yet (Season 2, Fourth voyage coming soon as I type this) There will be a bit coming up. I know this because I watch the Japanese version and can tell which parts are going to be dubbed next. While the only thing that pops up is a bit of revealing clothing, in the Arabasta arc, there is a bath house scene. In Japan, bathing is a social event, but never do men and women bathe together. There is a separate section for each sex. A few hundred episodes later, there is the Amazon Lily Arc, where Luffy is sent to the Island of Women. Nothing happens, but that may be someting that parents will want to watch out for. Language: In Japan, there aren't relaly any ways to curse. Instead, they just say things in a disrespectful manner. That doesn't have as much of an impact in America, so they add in a bit of language to convey the same meaning. Words such as @$$, h311, d@mn, and cr@p are used somewhat frequently. Sanji the chef uses cr@p/py fairly often (in Japan he says kuso which translates literally to excrement). Product Placement: Absolutely none. Drinking, Drugs, or Smoking: They are pirates, after all, so drinking is to be expected. Sanji does smoke quite a bit, and a few other characters smoke cigars, but that's it. In the Amazon Lily arc, Luffy eats a mushroom that turns out to be a special "Growing out of your body mushroom" that forces other mushrooms to grow out of his body, almost killing him. Remember kids, shrooms are bad for you! Messages: Each arc has their own villain with their own set of bad values which are then stomped upon by Luffy and the rest of the Straw Hats. Example: Buggy says that gold, jewels, and other various shineys are the only kinds of treasure and that nothing else could ever be of value. Luffy's straw hat disagrees. Role Models: Yes, Nami is a theif. We've established that. It is stressed that while her kleptomania has come in handy, it is the result of years of trying to pay back basically a mob boss to save her village. Kids don't have that problem. Usopp is a liar. The reason the Straw Hats have to fight so hard in the Captain Kuro arc is because of Usopp's lying, basically making it the boy who cried pirate. Overall: One of the better animes out there. while there is quite a bit of violence, some language, and some tobacco and alcohol usage, the show in general is one of the best, especially if you like plot twists.
Teen, 17 years old Written byeidolem April 9, 2008

So many unforgiving people in this world...

I did not like some of the professional reviews given for this show. They were ugly, harsh, and just plain rude. Truly I thought One Piece was fantastic, despite whether its dub or original, hell, even the Shounen manga was wonderful. But what I want to complain about is that a bunch of critics were so negative about the show. Yes, I agree that the translation and cut-outs were sloppy, but you can't say that it's all the corporation's fault. And you only judge the way the dub had been put up, saying it was horrible and terrifying, like how your eyes were about to burn off or something. Then why do some of you STILL watch it?! And don't you say how dumb it is, it's not. It's not all about mindless violence, even though pirate's life IS all about mindless violence but the fights are what makes it unqiue if you see the way they fight or what techniques is used. But One Piece is also about friendship, companionship, hopes, dreams, adventures, laughter, good times, bad times, and successes in life that we want to see happen or experience. The show is so far away from something crossed between 'Aho Mitey' and the traditional eyepatches and peglegs. The characters are complicated and deep, and you really need to see further into the show than just what they wear or their voice. The characters are not expressing just one emotion at a time, nobody in the show is just bad, evil, or good, loving, or scared, or cowardly. There are many times where a bad person has good intentions, a coward are sometimes courageous, there is no right without left, no up without down, and sometimes in One Piece, friendship is betrayed. If you don't like the show, it's not anyone's problem, so don't make it anyone's problem by submitting awful reviews to get everyone to hate it too. Just find some other resource to watch it, that would suit you, or just watch something else. Thank you for your time.
Adult Written by4kidsSUCKS April 9, 2008

4Kids ruined it

This anime has received mixed reviews(some from people who only watched one version of the show). I personally enjoy this anime a lot. The content of this show is generally directed towards an older audience. content includes: Slight sexual content (slight nudity(no sexual organs shown)) Violence(yes there is alot of it) Vulgar Language(some) Alcoholic Content(there is drinking in this show but it doesn't show them acting drunk) as I stated before this anime is directed to an older audience and I suggest that if you have a problem with it, you can find something else to watch >_>
Parent Written byAnime reviews January 25, 2015

Not for kids!

This anime has lots of violence and some girl characters dont wear properly please dont let your kids whatch this until 14, this has inappropiate language like ass and bastard and more and teaches your kids attitude!