All member reviews for Orphan Black

Teen, 14 years old Written bynatile55 July 27, 2013

Amazing show. A+

Orphan Black is a science fiction drama/thirller, and it had me hooked from episode one. Most of the episodes have blood and gore in them, some of them having gunshot wounds, others have people stabbing or mutilating others. The first epsiode is one of the more grisly ones, a woman commits suicide by jumping in front of a train, and later, a woman is shot in the head. There is partial nudity, a lot of strong language, and there are some seriously messed up characters. Tatiana Maslany does an outstanding job portraying all of the clones, the plot is very well done, and the cinematography is incredible overall. I would take caution if you're squeamish around blood, I almost stopped watching because of it, but I gradually got more tolerant of it. Also if you're easily offended by any type of language, stay away from this show. Decide carefully if you think your teen is ready to handle all of this. Aside from that, it offers a gripping plot, surprises at every turn, and a season finale that will leave you wondering what's going to happen next.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygemmaobrien December 16, 2013

Great show, sex and violence levels low

This is one of my favourite shows at the moment. I'm 15 and I started watching when I was 14 and I don't think it exhibits strong themes of sex or violence. Considering myself quite mature for my age, I have recommended this show to a number of my younger friends and they find it just fine as well. I watch this with the knowledge of my parents as they believe that I am mature enough for the content. As far as sex and nudity goes, the most graphic scene of the series occurs in the first episode which only shows brief views of backsides. The only swearwords used are "s***" and other minor profanity. The show has a few violent and disturbing scenes such as when a man has his artificial tail cut off, and when a woman is stabbed in the stomach. Overall I'd say Orphan Black is suitable for teens over the age of 15, although it depends on the maturity of the viewer.
Teen, 16 years old Written byClobrim January 16, 2014

I love orphan black!

It's a really good show but really not for anyone under 16 because there is a lot of sex and references to gay sex (character felix but he's fabulous) someone gets run over and a lot of it is to do with science which kids wouldn't get.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybookgeek101 April 25, 2015

Cool Clone Show

A show that will really mess with your mind! But it is really cool to see one girl play so many different characters! There is a lot of gore in this show (has to do with the plot). There is also a lot of sex (but it doesn't really have nudity, only butts). Sarah looks like a terrible role model, but she grows and realizes many things about herself and saving the people she loves. She does many questionable things, but they are usually justified with wanting to save someone she loves. All the clones have their good and bad attributes and it makes them more dimensional. Being able to see into each life is very cool, but can be confusing. It deals with a lot of science and biology of the clones (which may be confusing to younger teens). It should be appropriate for most 16 year olds (as long as they're mature).
Teen, 15 years old Written byThecoffeeowl224 February 6, 2015

Teen, 15 years old Written byThecoffeeowl224 February 6, 2015

Teen, 14 years old Written bysc-hunter December 13, 2014

Fantastic And Positive Messages That Are Clearly There

While there may be two or three short sex scenes that only last less than a minute, and violence, it is a fantastic show. Sarah may have 12 known clones, but what this show stresses in individuality. Felix, Cosima, and Tony show that you can be whoever you want and your sexual orientation shouldn't matter because you are you and that's what's important. Yes, there is a character with a drinking problem but she gets over it. Yes, there is swearing but its not that much. There maybe some characters that die but this show is still fantastic. The clones have problems like real people and also show good qualities. Trust me, I've watched it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byangel181633 October 29, 2014

amazing show

genius, highly recommend!! especially to mid/older teens and adults
Teen, 17 years old Written byreviews27 October 15, 2014

Orphan Black

Really enjoyed this series, only watched season one so far. There is quite a high level of violence and quite a lot of drug references, there are a few sexual scenes but nothing to graphic/explicit. I feel this could be overlooked because of the brilliant story line, and could be suitable for more mature younger viewers. I have given it a 15 rating as that is the netflix age rating.
Teen, 15 years old Written byallonsy October 13, 2014

AMAZING SHOW - great acting and story

Orphan Black is probably my favorite show out there right now. The characters are all very intriguing and it's great to see an amazing show where the gay characters aren't defined solely by their sexuality ("My sexuality is not the most interesting thing about me" -Cosima). While admittedly, there's a fair amount of sexual content, I don't think it's worth skipping over the show just for that. You'll fall in love with all the characters and their stories. Tatiana Maslany, who plays the clones, is the best actress I've ever watched and it's hard to believe only one actress plays all the clones. 10/10 I would recommend this show to pretty much any mature teen, who can handle some sex and drugs.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhugopaws September 24, 2014

One of The Best Shows in Recent Memory

Orphan Black is INCREDIBLE. It's writing, directing, special effects and most of all acting are all an A+. It's creative plot, beautifully creative and three dimensional (if not four dimensional) characters make this show the definition of what television should be. It's exciting, intense, crazy, action packed, beautiful, romantic and most of all - fantastic. It's an amazing TV show. It portrays sex in a mature manner that's either beautiful or hard to watch. It uses it not as filler, but as a plot device. It's language is mostly English swear words, unbeknownst to us American viewers. It has a little bit of violence, but not to gory and makes the show even better. If you're going to watch one sci-fi drama in coming years, make it Orphan Black. An Truly Amazing A+ TV Show.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheKibbleMonster September 21, 2014

Depends on the person

The biggest issue for most people would probably be the sexual scenes and gory scenes. Casual references to sex are made frequently, and blood is common. Another reviewer stated that kids will likely not understand the science, but no one with basic knowledge of some areas of science--especially genetics-- should have any issue with understanding it. It is a fantastic show, but it may not be the best for anyone squeamish. Parents should be cautious with the sex scenes.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycatperson August 23, 2014

Amazing show!

Orphan Black is a great sci fi/action show and the acting is impeccable! I started watching a few months ago and couldn't stop watching it! you have to know there is some nudity in the show like bare backsides and some drug use and drinking minor swearing and action/violence but once you get past that there is excellent message and role models. I would say that a 13 year old would be able to watch this no problem!
Teen, 15 years old Written byeloisep16 June 26, 2014

Absolutely Amazing

Super great show. I love it so much. It is absolutely worth your time to watch it, the acting and writing are both stellar and the plot is unbelievably intriguing. Fabulous gay characters in Cosima and Felix, and a just generally all around amazing show. The things you do have to watch out for are nudity, which while fairly infrequent takes you by surprise when it happens, and the occasional mildly graphic sex scene. Oh, and language. But it still airs, so it's not too bad. One of my absolute favorite shows.