Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Parks and Recreation

Local government spoof for mature viewers is goofy at heart.

Parent Written byWriteorDie September 21, 2013

Case By Case Basis...

We have been watching this show since the beginning. By we I mean my 9 year old (who caught up via Netflix), myself and her dad. My daughter has seen basically all of the episodes She started watching about a year and a 1/2 ago. She understands the jokes and has grown fond of quite a few of the characters. She LOVES Leslie, April and Andy and does an amazing impression of Jean-Ralphio:) Here's the deal. There are some episodes where there is some sexual innuendo. There are episodes where there is some mature language. If you live in America, your child quite possibly will have encountered both of these themes by this age. I truly believe that every child is different and in my daughter's case, she is a well-rounded, creative child. Art and writing (short stories, scripts, etc.) are her thing. Her father and I are both writers so creativity and humor is encouraged in our home. With that said, if your 9 year old is not mature enough to appreciate and/or understand the humor or turns bright red when they hear the word "sex" then this show may not be for them. However, if you have a child who gets the jokes and is able to appreciate the fictional town of Pawnee and all its quirks, I HIGHLY recommend this show.

Adult Written byDon Draper February 4, 2013

This is LITRALLY the best comedy on TV

4 out of 5? C'mon people as Chris Traeger would say this is LITRALLY the best comedy on TV. *Note that is not a typo and is how Chris Traeger (played by Rob Lowe) pronounces the word literally*

Adult Written by02befree December 8, 2016

Adult themes, reference to genitals repeatedly - Why does everyone think this is okay for their kids.

This is obviously a popular show, and it even has a cult following, so I was a bit shocked as I watched part of this while my teens where watching it, and so many times there were things that really disappointed me. I'm a Christian and I'm not living in a box. I'm a business owner, I travel, I have gay relatives, and I'm quite aware of what's "going on out there". But to say Well times have changed and I think kids need exposure to stuff like this....I totally disagree. Hearing swear words and talking about male genitals has never been okay, and never will be okay. If your morals change with time and move with technology and "the times" that's your choice, but I don't think this show is appropriate for even teens and I think it will have an adverse effect on what they think is "normal". Isn't that the goal of the immoral forces of the world - to change what's "normal". Pull your head out of the sand.

Adult Written byCarson aw May 7, 2015

Great but Slightly Mature Show

Some episodes of Parks and Recreation are worse than others. Some could be for a 10 year old, others for 15 and up. The quality of the show is great overall. Except to laugh multiple times! However, mild language, and lots of innuendo makes it an older teen show. Don't let your preteens view this one.

Adult Written bydavidm2 December 17, 2014

great

good for kids

Adult Written bymisy132 March 17, 2013

so good

Adult Written byNathanD23 November 28, 2014

Parks and Recreation - Good for tweens and up.

Hi everyone, my name is Nathan. Frankly, I think shows like this are a moral grey area for some families. My opinion is this; times are changing! Because of the media, kids are much more exposed to the themes expressed in shows such as these. Unlike how it was 20 years ago, these themes don't have as much of an impact as they used to. In my case, I'm twelve years old. I started watching this show on Netflix when I was 11 with my parents, and my entire family has become very attached to it, and shows like How I Met Your Mother. With kids these days, things like swearing, sexual themes, violence, drinking, drugs, etc. are just the norm. With the internet, we've discovered these things long ago. Some call it societal decline, I call it change. And change, after all, is inevitable. Regardless, I think Parks and Recreation is a great show. Characters like Leslie Knope, Ann Perkins, Chris Treager, Ben Wyatt, etc. Are all great role models who send positive messages to viewers. But please, keep in mind that this is a comedy, and the characters in this show are supposed to have odd quirks, or in some characters, habits that might make you cringe. But overall, it really just comes down to knowing your own kids. If they have more exposure to these kinds of things, the show is for them. There's honestly nothing more that the show will talk about than they would already know. Besides, the more extreme expletives are censored out. Just use your best judgement. If you think your kids can handle it, there shouldn't be a problem.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion April 19, 2009

An Okay Show...

PARKS AND RECREATION is an okay show. The whole weekly episode is only 20 minutes long, and there are some funny parts. It's like this: when it's funny, it's really funny. But when it's not funny, it's dull. There is some language: "b**ch", "a*s", and "d**n" are all used some (stronger language is bleeped out). Reference is made to "getting plastered" at a meeting, and mention is made of two colleagues sleeping together. There is mention of covering up cartoon penises on a mural (nothing is shown).
Adult Written bySincerus July 18, 2014

Clever and amusing

Very funny show, anything objectionable is blurred/bleeped out or spoken of with such frankness you soon get accustomed to it. Leslie Knope is a good role model, and while many (ok, all) of the other main characters are immensely odd, they too have good qualities. Lots of swearing and candid (primarily for laughs) talk about sex and drugs, but this show is good intentioned. If your kid knows what sex and drugs are, they'll find it funny, if they don't this show still won't harm them.

Adult Written byMithrandir117 January 8, 2011

Don't miss out on Parks and Rec!

Great show. Like with the Office, we found that catching this show every now and again when it aired was disappointing, but we started the series from the beginning this go round, and allowing the show to introduce the characters and build relationships/personalities/etc. with each episode created a much "funner" experience. The show does not really seem to push any agenda politically, which is nice, too. There are characters who voice opinions about limited government involvement, and those who are proponents of government use of resources for good purposes... but the show never really presents an over arching support of either idea, and the particular characters with these views show so much respect for one another, which is really awesome. The characters are much nicer and more likeable than their Office "counterparts," with the exception of a pretty universal animosity for one character by all the other characters (but this is never portrayed to be an appropriate sort of behavior). Drinking is an issue in some episodes, but generally it is not presented in a positive light. There is some innuendo, but it's pretty ridiculous, and I'm pretty sensitive to that kind of stuff. There is one character who can be a little sleazy, but like so many other things in this show, they don't glamorize the behavior. Overall, a good show. Most episodes would be appropriate for kids even younger than I have voted this show, so if you review before watching with your kiddos, you will find some episodes you'd want to pass on them seeing, but mostly a pretty good and appropriate show. My husband really likes this show, too.
Adult Written bytheoh February 27, 2015

Great Show

Lots of adult humor and references that many young children will not understand, but Leslie is a great role model and empowers women. Strong theme on preserving National Parks. Almost no violence, zero consumerism (though there is a strong theme on the consumption of waffles), and the swearing is not that bad. Overall a hilarious show with laugh-at-loud, rolling on the ground, eye-watering moments. I recomend it to ny middle schooler. This is simply one of the best shows on TV.

Parent Written bymycaricature January 22, 2014

Clever comedy for 12 and up

Generally good role models in a clever comedy. Features drinking as an escape mechanism a little too often. The gang's picking on Jerry may be a point to bring up with younger teens and tweens.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byCole3575 November 12, 2015

Written byAnonymous June 20, 2015

Adult Written bymardoggie2013 November 20, 2014

Parent of a 1, 9, and 10 year old Written byabrotmanabrotmanbrot July 16, 2012

Hilarious show

This show is fantastic--hilarious with an excellent cast. There are some episodes that contain some romantic elements and language (although actual words are bleeped out) that may not be appropriate for kids under 13 or 14.

Adult Written byJasonMR February 8, 2016

Best

Excellent show that sneaks in positive messages throughout. Very very well done and good, fun characters. Amy Poehler will go down in history as one of the greats

Adult Written byFujimo January 30, 2016

Good show

It's a good series, funny. Some mild sexual innuendos mild drinking. Leslie is a go getter and follows her heart. Good role model in a comical way. We need role models like her on tv today.

Adult Written byatomic_incinerator April 22, 2009

Pretty good

This Show is pretty funny, I wouldn't quite say "tame" but a far-cry from the worst thing I've ever seen. I think I'll continue watching it. I think this is appropriate for 14-15 year olds, any younger and I just don't think the kids will find it funny
Adult Written bybalinx June 30, 2016

From the creators of The Office, Parks and Rec has edgier episodes than most TV-14 comedies.

Parks and Recreation is a show that aired on NBC for seven seasons. It stars Amy Pohler, Rashida Jones, Aziz Ansari, Aubrey Plaza, Rob Lowe, and Chris Pratt. It is slightly edgier than The Office, and it has more sex and language. I would give Parks and Recreation, 5 stars and 13+.