Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for PAW Patrol

Cute pups rescue neighbors in friendly cartoon.

Parent of a 2 and 2 year old Written bySalviati September 14, 2013

Mindless Mass Consumer Garbage for Preschoolers

As far as I can tell this show has practically no educational value. It appears to be a construction out of the mind of a market researcher. You can imagine a market survey asking parents what their child's favorite things are. The results of the survey are as follows: 1) puppies 2) toys 3) rescue services ( fire, police, etc..). 'Perfect lets go make some money....'

Adult Written byunderscorex June 1, 2014

Carefully engineered to appeal to little-boy interests.

Very toy-centric cartoon about a little boy and his team of dogs that drive city service vehicles (fire truck, police car, etc). Everyone over the age of 10 is totally incompetent, nobody is capable of speaking in a tone of voice other than "excited hollering", the girl dog flies a pink helicopter because of course she does (girls should remain above the action and only engage from a distance, you know). It's produced by a toy company to sell toys, and is generally lowest-common-denominator kid vid. It doesn't have anything explicitly troubling - no violence, sexual content, or even anything resembling real danger, but it's also loud, obnoxious, and not very good. Also, expect the usual subtle messages about girls (not as active as boys) grown ups (not as smart as kids), etc.

Adult Written byJen A. January 5, 2017

Avoid season one - newer episodes are much better

I recently bought seasons of Paw Patrol on Amazon as holiday gifts for my son. There are drastic differences in quality when comparing monotonous season one episodes to newer ones from season two or three. Season one includes dull, repetitive storylines that can't hold my son's attention. (Like the dogs going to a farm, or in another, helping kids find their backpacks. No fun for parents in these episodes, either.). On the other hand, my son puts season two/season three episodes on repeat and we both enjoy them so much more. There is definitely more originality and creativity in these ones (like the dogs putting on high-tech air gear to save their hilarious scientist friends from a volcano, or the dogs finding dinosaurs running around town) that set Paw Patrol apart from the other boring kids' shows on TV. If your kids want to watch Paw Patrol, try to make sure it's a newer episode.

Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byvtgeek May 8, 2015

Cute and problematic

My 3 year-old adores this show. It hits all his favorite buttons for dogs, awesome vehicles, catchy theme song, and saving the day. It is not educational, but Ryder and his pups are great helpers in their community, and we like to use the catch phrase "no job is too big, no pup is too small!" to encourage my 3 year-old to do "hard" or distasteful jobs. However, my goodness, how on earth did a show get out of development that suffers from the Smurfette Principle on a major children's network in 2013?? For a while, there was only one female pup: Skye. Now, she is pretty awesome. She can fly! She's my 3 year-old boy's favorite character. But in terms of gender equity, this show is stuck firmly in 1952. If you're a boy, you can be anything you want, but if you're a girl, you have to be the "pink one". We know a lot of preschool girls who love this show too, and there is no reason on earth that any of the other pups couldn't have been a girl. They added another girl pup in a later season, but she is a snow dog in what seems to be a southern California setting. I'm sure she's really super useful and all, but come on. Couldn't she at least have been a paramedic pup, which the crew is obviously missing? No doubt they will add another boy pup to do that job... Ugh.
Adult Written byVRCrowe March 29, 2015

Mindless toy fodder.

It's so well animated, I wish it was any good. Lessons are iffy at best, and episodes appear to be 90% transforming montages and weird catch phrases.

Parent of a 1 year old Written byMegan S. November 10, 2017

Buy our stuff!

The first time I saw an episode of Paw Patrol I commented to my husband that it seemed like a TV show built around a toy line. Sure enough, I'm noticing Paw Patrol themed items everywhere in stores. My husband downloaded a bunch of episodes one day and once our son (now 20 months) watched one he was hooked. He asks for "Puh Puh" now and if it's during our TV time I try to steer him to other shows like Hey Duggee, Sesame Street, or Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. It's not that I necessarily have anything against Paw Patrol. It's cute and engaging. It's just that I want to avoid licensed toys for as long as possible. I was *obsessed* with 101 Dalmatians when I was a kid and had scads of Disney licensed toys, stuffed animals, school supplies, posters, books, etc. Also, despite having an affinity for dalmatians, Marshall annoys the bejesus out of me. Someone once mentioned the sexism present, and while I don't consider myself a feminist, I did notice Skye often gets the shaft. Finally, my husband and I often comment about the absurdity of the show's premise and ask what the town residents' taxes and insurance premiums are like when they rely on an adolescent and his team of dogs for public services.

Parent of a 3 year old Written byAkyaa M. November 3, 2017

Consumerist TV

My son was obsessed with this show and the toys. He is now forbidden to watch it because wherever we go there's Paw Patrol soap, clothing, merchandise at exorbitant prices. Also, it teaches children to have blind faith in authority and to glorify them. However, power isn't always used for good. For children of colour, they have to understand police and others may not be looking out for THEIR safety. It's very uneducative, especially for homeschooling families, and it's on our No Watch list.

Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byRyan H. September 17, 2016

Toy-delivery platform disguised as entertainment...

This "show" is basically a half hour infomercial for the Paw Patrol toy line. Check out all the pups! And their transforming doghouse vehicles! And the flying versions of their vehicles! And the big vehicle they all ride around in together! And their super-special pup base! Already own everything? Don't worry, every season they'll add a new pup to the mix! With its own doghouse vehicle! And... Etc. etc. etc. All this might be tolerable if the shows included some form of educational value... Or at least an attempt at such a thing. Heck, even "Blaze and the Monster Machines" taught my 4 y.o. the meaning of the word, "trajectory"... But no, they don't even bother to try... At least we were able to turn this into a "teaching moment": 4YO: Daddy, why don't you like Paw Patrol? ME: Because it's trying to trick me into buying things. 4YO: Trying to trick you? That's not great. ME: No, it's not. 4YO: Can I watch "Bubble Guppies"? ME: Yes. Yes you can. (Minor victory)

Adult Written byLaleh the Ghost May 29, 2019

Needs more strong female characters

For a while, Skye was the only girl on the Paw Patrol, and she flies a pink plane. Nothing wrong with a pink plane, but since she's the only one, it's pretty gendered. Would it have killed them to make the police or fire dog a girl, for example? I'm glad they added Everest later, but it was too little, too late. The mayor, a woman, is regularly shown as incompetent and needing to be rescued by a little boy and a pack of dogs. I realize that, in kids' shows, they need to show kids saving the day, but this takes it really over the top (though they're not the only show that is guilty of this). But I like the chicken.

Adult Written bySavagesolitbruh February 22, 2019

Not family friendly

My 4 year old kid is obsessed with it. He buys all the toys and watches it every night. It encourages child addiction.

Adult Written byathenac December 14, 2017

Heavily Gendered and Passive

Not only does this show have only one female rescue pup (who is associated with pink) but it’s also upbeat to the point of being frantic in music and tone and is watched very passively by children - my son is like a zombie watching this show, he doesn’t engage with it at all. I see no educational or developmental value to this show and I’m incredibly disappointed by the archaic represention of gender and people of colour.
Parent Written byAandJ February 10, 2016

Good for kids, one drawback.

Generally this is a great show for the little ones. The puppies do fun things, help people, go on adventures, use teamwork, overcome fear, all sorts of good stuff. Some episodes are even fun to watch, which I don't usually say about kids shows. That said, as my child gets older (he's 4 and a half now) I like this show less because of one major drawback. While the real heroes are the dogs, their leader is Ryder, a young kid. Not sure how old but clearly not a teenager. There are plenty of adult characters in the show but they are ALWAYS portrayed as bumbling idiots. The mayor of this town would probably be in jail if she were real, the scientist couldn't even figure out that the "ghost" on his ship was actually one of his favorite sea creatures, I could go on and on. My four year old pointed out to me one time that Ryder lives by himself and all those grown ups don't realize that he is a kid. The show is really cute, but people should at least be aware that this age/responsibility dynamic is ongoing through every episode of every season. The adults are always the ones in trouble, and the kid is always the one directing the help.
Adult Written byLetKidsBeKidsPlease August 27, 2015

It's a Fun Show!

I have a really bright, ahead of the curve soon-to-be 6-year-old daughter who adores this show. I am one of those parents who didn't allow my kid to watch T.V. until after her 4th birthday, so I can't attest to the ideal age range, but my daughter loves it. I, for one, am glad that there are shows like this that appeal to girls that aren't princess-oriented. She loves any and everything to do with animals, and I love the fact that this show gives props to critical public service personnel, while teaching kids about teamwork and helping others. That focus on social service is VERY educational IMHO, and any show that shines a light on careers (other than slapping on a princess gown and waiting for Prince Charming) are AOK in my book.

Parent of a 2 year old Written bymamaduck2012 June 22, 2015

very cute

So many people forget about their community, and this show demonstrates great community value. This is educational in the sense that it teaches values that we are not always able to demonstrate daily. Team work is another big part of this show. I personally recommended this for toddlers and pre-school aged children.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byhmaymyers May 9, 2015

Theme of other pups teasing another

I thought this was a relatively harmless show for my 4-1/2 yr old...although I agree with the other reviewers that this show has very little educational quality...it's just not clever at all, compared to something like the Octonauts... However, as I watch several episodes with my son, I realize there is a theme of all of the puppies teasing and playing tricks on Marshall (one of the pups). It seems like he may be the target in each episode? Not sure haven't seen them all...? If so, that's worrisome. I know it seems like harmless fun, but it could send a message that its ok to bully.
Adult Written byMummyof2 May 19, 2019

Lovely little show

i have 2 children 1 aged 2 and a half and the other is 12 the youngest loves paw patrol he has paw patrol everything and my 12 year old always loves playing with her little brother and his paw patrol toys she always likes to watch it aswell i am aware paw patrol is for 2-6 year olds but i dont care what she likes as long as its nothing to old for her overall i think this show is very cute

Adult Written byMovie TV April 23, 2019

Paw Patrol

Paw Patrol is a great cartoon for young kids who like to watch TV and has some educational stuff here and there but mostly it is supposed to be a entertaining show and make learning fun for little kids and it has stuff that keeps kids interested like how the pups use all these gadgets and Rocky teaches kids to recycle.

Parent of a 5 year old Written bypjurnik April 22, 2019

Simple, promotes good role models and behaviors

Adult Written byMarielG2000 March 31, 2019

Bark bark, I love this!

This is one of the best Nick Jr shows IMO even though I'm neutral to that channel because some of the shows sucks big time. Anyways, I love this show so much because it is about a 10 year old boy named Ryder and his pups going on PAWsome adventures! All the characters are very good models. The lessons are useful. The theme song is great and catchy, great CGI and I love the "Mighty Pups" movie! Me and my family enjoyed it so much. I personally think that this is for ages 4 and above because there might be some tense and violent scenes but there is always a happy ending! Parents should stop complaining about the "consumerism" stuff. OMG, really parents? Just simply buy your kids who is obsessed *sorry if the spelling is wrong because I'm from the Phillipines but I'm a weeaboo because I love anime and manga* with PAW Patrol stuff some PAW Patrol toys! Goddamn it! Anyways *again*, I always buy myself and my little sister who is 4 this year *she started watching PAW Patrol at the time she was born in 2015* toys because we are obsessed with PAW Patrol stuff, and so does my family. I hope this will stay in TV forever, renew for a 7th season and never get cancelled. And don't call me a "baby" because I watched some little kids shows but I hate alot of baby shows.

Adult Written byCam94 March 6, 2019

Brilliant, my daughter loves it.

Great show, age appropriate and gives good messages about helping people and problem solving. The characters are friendly, colourful and entertaining. My 3yr old can't get enough of paw patrol.