All member reviews for Peg + Cat

Spunky girl's math skills solve problems, teach lessons.

Parent Written byChickens5 November 12, 2013

A waste of my children's limited television time - skip it!

I agree with KatherynMc's review. This show is not worth my childen's television time. Peg's character is a drama queen - I cringe when she yells "I am totally freaking out!" Really? About what? How to share fruit evenly among your friends? That's freak out material? I have the same problem with SuperWhy when every daily encounter is a "SUPER big problem." Really? I don't want to teach my children to freak out or view everything as a problem. It's not, it's just something that requires a little thought. And as far as the math in Peg + cat, yeah, again, nothing stellar. All the characters seem to yell through out the show. This show is just not for us. There are so many other, better, more educational and entertaining shows out there.
Parent Written byAtlMom January 31, 2014

Funny for kids AND parents

My six-year-old show adores this show. It actually has some inside jokes for the grownups, too. I was surprised that other moms made such a big deal out of Peg saying "totally freaking out" because soon after she says this, they work out the problem. Kids tend to be melodramatic anyway so it makes sense to me. I would rather watch Peg Plus Cat than a lot of other kids' shows and my son seems to be enjoying math a lot more since we started watching it.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bynicemom72 November 11, 2013

fantastic cat

brilliant - nothing else like it
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byMishiOK November 13, 2013

Best children's show since "Blue's Clues"

Peg + Cat is one of the most delightful children's shows on television right now. The lessons are simple and well-integrated with the story - no breaking the flow for a "teachable moment". The characters and situations are quirky, and the animation style is refreshingly unique. My young son and I love singing the silly songs together. Hearing "I've got chickens all over me" from a goofy three-year-old never gets old.
Parent of a 1 year old Written byTamaraPaints January 21, 2014

A Breath of Fresh Air for Children's Programming!

This show is amazing!! My daughter is about 1.5 years, so I am not sure how much she is actually learning currently, but she does enjoy the songs! Every time the intro comes on she dances her way to the tv. As an artist I really appreciate the fun and funky animation style. Loving the graph paper backgrounds with math problems and diagrams on it. I am really impressed with the fresh breath of life brought into PBS with this show. I feel like Peg + Cat is more in tune with the times than other shows out there-- i.e. cell phones with apps, younger kids thinking teenagers are awesome, etc. I actually enjoy watching it with my daughter! The music is fun, the characters are adorable and funny, the math/science/logic that is being presented doesn't feel forced, and the various catch phrases are cute! I already used the term "freaking out" so now I think of the show when I say it. And if I say it-- or hear anyone else say it-- I immediately respond with "I (or you) should count backwards from five to calm down!" So in a way I think this makes me calm down too! Give this show a shot. It is great fun.
Parent Written byMs.Marshmallow May 26, 2014

Our favourite new children's programming

My 2.5 year and I love this show. He was able to count to 10 before. Since watching this show for a couple weeks, he counts to 20, to 100 by 10s and backwards from 5. I have no problem with the so-called "drama queen" behaviour. Whenever Peg says she is "totally freaking out", she calms down by counting backwards from 5. So now, when my son starts to get wound up I tell him that he's "freaking out" and to count... And it actually calms him down. Also, after we solve a problem around the house he sings the "problem solved" song. It's not often that such educational programming is this entertaining as well!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySportyGirl91 January 3, 2014

Funny show but not the best show for young children.

I love this show, but I'm much older than the age meant for the show. It's really funny, but I don't think it's a good show for kids because Peg is always talking like the "teenagers" and admiring them. Little kids will pick up the drama queen language- I'm TOTALLY freaking out! Or something the teens say, Like, omg I am like so totally texting! Being a teen myself I think it is hilarious but a young child we start reappearing what they hear on TV. They do teach math skills, but they are fairly easy concepts even a young child could already have mastered. But I guess it's a good review.
Educator and Parent of a 3 year old Written byanna4austin July 24, 2015

There's an educational reason for Peg's obsession with Teens!

The reviews about this show made me want to respond. I'm a K-5 teacher (10 years) and mom of a three year old. I love for my son to watch this show because of the problem solving emphasis. In response to the other reviews about it focusing too much on teens- the educational point is to get kids to understand what a teenager is because students in kinder and first grade can struggle with remembering the teen numbers. The teens don't sound like one, two, three like the higher numbers (the twenties still say twenty-one, twenty-two, etc., but the teen numbers don't follow the normal counting pattern which is confusing for young children). The shows' researchers are obviously researching what students both need to know to be successful in school, and responding to areas research shows students do struggle with. As a reading and math intervention teacher, I work with students who struggle. If kids were watching educational math shows like this one at home, it would be helpful for their school life! I love that the show weaves in literature into the problem solving stories (Such as twists on Romeo and Juliet, and Jack and the Beanstalk- very clever and makes me pay attention). I love shows that engage parents, because it helps them know what their kids are watching, and gives them educational ideas for what to work on with their kids. In response to the parents worried about Peg "freaking out," the shows creators are just making an entertaining way to make math problems for Peg to solve. And don't we all freak out about stuff all the time? This helps kids think of problems as something they can overcome, which is awesome! Our country needs more students to excel in math (and especially girls like Peg!), and this show is creatively helping kids get interested in math. My three year old loves it, but I think he will be more ready for the math concepts at age 4 and 5. I can see value in kids up to age 8 watching this on their own. As a teacher, I would even use clips of this show to yeah new concepts. The horizontal and vertical line segment in Romeo and Juliet would be useful to third and fourth graders!). And the Beethoven episode would be great for music teachers!
Parent of a 1, 10, 14, and 17 year old Written byBJacques July 8, 2014

The yelling... oh, the yelling.

I understand the thinking behind Peg + Cat: Problem solving, pre-math, truly the basics of computer science combined with social interactions are valuable lessons for little ones. However, Peg yells ALL THE TIME. SHE NEVER STOPS YELLING. I can't stand the noise and it seems to stress out my littlest guy, so we don't watch it. Peg is (dare I say it?) bossy and that's not the kind of behavior I want my kids to emulate.
Kid, 9 years old March 5, 2014

Iffy for kids aged 5 and under

This show is iffy for kids aged 5 and under beacuse when Peg says something like "I'm TOTALLY freaking out!" younger kids will think she's a 12-years-old drama queen. I think it's appropriate for kids aged 6 and up. As being a 9-years-old myself, it's better for kids aged 6 and up.
Parent Written byMamiMom May 5, 2014
LEARNING

Peg is loud and annoying

Sorry, but this is my least favorite show that we've watched; my kids aren't much interested in it either. Peg seems so negative, does not have language that I'd like my kids to emulate, and is even mean to her cat. We are changing the channel when this show is on.
Educator and Parent of a 2, 6, and 8 year old Written byKittycat56 April 4, 2014

Great for kids aged 7 and up, iffy for any younger.

Mary Anne and Krissy sould not be allow to watch Peg + Cat..
Kid, 9 years old May 1, 2014

Agreement.

I agree with SportyGirl91. This show is not for younger kids. Younger kids can take the drama queen lanquage "I'm TOTALLY freaking out!". Or something the teens say "OMG, I'm totally texing!".
Adult Written bymrsgustin February 21, 2015

fun and educational

My 4-year-old daughter and I really enjoy this show. Peg is a spunky girl, and her friend Cat is a lot of fun. They make a great team as they tackle their problems with math. I love the creative way basic math concepts are presented. As a parent I don't find the voices annoying, which is a bonus. The songs are fun, and the graphics are unique. Great show!
Adult Written byTenhundfeld September 26, 2015

Best New Kid Show

This is a truly great show. The songs are fun and catchy. It has occasional humor for adults to enjoy, while still being age-appropriate. And like others have said, I love that it has a girl solving problems with math, something I'm happy to show my 2yo daughter. I really don't get people complaining about Peg saying, "I'm totally freaking out." Do they even have children in the target age range (3-5)? Toddlers/kids this age are ALWAYS freaking out about the smallest things. Peg isn't going to turn your tyke into a drama queen; they already are one. Learning how to voice your feelings and cope with frustration are critical skills to practice in this time. And every time Peg "freaks out", she immediately describes her emotions and practices a calming technique of counting backwards from 5. This is exactly the behavior I want my daughter to model. Feeling strong emotions is inherent to childhood. I want her to learn how to respond thoughtfully instead of having a meltdown. My 2yo is probably a little young for it, but she enjoys it a lot. With her limited screen time, it's one of her top 5 requests, along with Elmo, Gruffalo, Curious George, and Daniel Tiger.
Parent Written byrhiannap September 11, 2015
Peg + Cat is a show that incorporates kids ages 8 to 12 foundational math skills in a creative and exciting way. The characters count, sort, and group their way to solutions to everyday problems, and the stories often illustrate concepts like superlatives, ordinal numbers, rhyming, and musical rhythm as well. What's more, because it's a girl leading the charge to solve these numbers quandaries, the show challenges the traditional gender divide within the mathematical field. This series goes hand-in-hand with a multimedia platform that includes an educational website (which is advertised at the end of each episode), videos, and a mobile app.
Teen, 17 years old Written bylovaajesus March 24, 2015

It's official

It's official, the folks over at PBS have run out of ideas. Seriously, it seems like the next thing you know, Dora the Explorer will be moved to PBS. I mean, they scraped the bottom of the barrel with Super WHY! (Another show that follows in Dora's footsteps and tries to have the characters "interact" with the audience) and it must have finally broke and they found this show. Peg is always claiming that they have a "big problem" at stuff like she can't count past 10. Dude, (I know I'm talking to a girl, but I just call everyone dude) the sky won't fall just because you can't count past 10, so stop saying its a "big problem," and take a chill pill. It's also worth noting that this show lacks the presence of any adults. Well, I guess it's a rather harmless show, provided your kids don't get bored first, but still. What ever happened to the old PBS Kids? You know, the good PBS Kids?
Parent Written byLostShoe June 27, 2016

Yes great for Anxiety

There was complaints about her being overly dramatic. But for my nieces, they get anxious during tornado weather so we say, "Be like Peg! Don't freak out!" and we count backwards. They are 3 and 6. They haven't learned to scream or freak out over everything. It does help with the things they've always been anxious about. I enjoy watching it and glad they have someone to focus on when they're freaking out when other things aren't working.
Adult Written byHdame87 June 27, 2016

I find it creepy

I have 3 children ages 6, 3 and 1 so I end up watching a lot of children's shows and PBS is the only station I allow them to watch because every other station has turned kids programing into adult content and Peg + Cat if you really think about it is quite creepy. So you have a girl which I believe is 10-12 years old with a cat that sounds like a 30 year old dude which she takes a bath with in every episode and she has sleep overs with pirates which are really old guys that she constantly has to calm down and her mom turned 30 in an episode which means she was between 18 and 20 when she had Peg which to me for PBS is a bit young to have a child.
Adult Written byLowe's man May 29, 2016

PEG + CAT = ENOUGH OF THAT! Drama queen is an overstatement, but...

Peg yells too much, especially at her cat. She's not nice to him. She freaks out too much. WAAAAAAAYYYYYY TOO MUCH! Peg is very bossy as well. It also hurts that the animation is ugly. I'm sorry, but this show is not for the preschoolers at whom it is aimed. Teaching math to preschoolers is a good idea, but they'd be better learning it from some other tv show or through some other way. It's hard to believe that this show is produced by The Fred Rogers Company. Mister Rogers himself would surely be turning around in his grave if he saw this.