All member reviews for Pingu

Young penguin learns and grows at the South Pole.

Kid, 12 years old April 26, 2011

Not a good choice.

This Swiss cartoon is not one of the best choice for preschoolers. The characters speak in a jibber-jabber language that kids may imitate. It sounds a bit like they're swearing sometimes. Pingu and Robbie are poor role models. There are some scenes that may scare younger children (like the episode with the walrus) and on one episode, we actually see Pingu weeing! Not a good choice. :(
Adult Written bymegnkyle April 9, 2008

Hands down my favorite cartoon from our extensive collection.

I discovered this wonderful, delightful cartoon quite by accident. After watching it with my children 7 and 3, I knew we had to own every one of them. A year and a half later my children are still watching this and still laughing out loud. The neatest thing is that there is no "real" dialogue but a penguin gibberish but young or old you understand exactly what is going on. Pingu and his sister Pinga are adorable and will certainly remind you of your own children. I can't say enough about this series, I have given it many times as a gift and always get grateful acknowledgements. This series orginates in Switzerland, so it can be harder to find. I found on a popular auction website and hope they put out more of the series.
Kid, 10 years old September 5, 2014

Bad, inappropriate and disturbing for young children

There are 3 banned episodes the first one is pingu's dreams it when his mum reads him a story and he dreams and gets stalked by a freaky looking walrus. The second one is the dentist he bangs his beak on the table and ITS BLEEDING I didn't know there would be blood on a kids show his mum takes him to the dentist and he is terrified by the tool the dentist has to heal his beak. And finally it's one when pingu has dinner and he hates what they are eating so he starts rocking on his chair and pulls the table mat of the table and his mum puts him on the table and gives him several smacks this is something that happened in the 1990's so pingu runs of into the dark night angrily. Look it up on youtube and watch the banned episodes you'll see what I mean.
Kid, 10 years old November 13, 2011

I LOVE THIS!

I love Pingu!!! I don't know why.
Adult Written byRileyx July 16, 2010

Beware!

I think its a very good show. However, there is one scary episode called 'Pingu's Dream', I would definatley not recommend this to young children as it is incredibly scary for them. I'm 14 and I'm scared of it! In Pingu's Dream, Pingu's igloo moves away (can't remember exactly what happens) and his bed's legs grow longer. This hideously scary, giant, red walrus then appears out of no where and starts stalking Pingu. It makes absurd noises then eats Pingu's matress. Pingu tries to escape but as he runs he falls (I think) and wakes up only to find it was a dream. His mother then comforts him. I'm sure they banned this in a few countries because the walrus is so scary. Apart from that, Pingu is great! :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byoogleboogle May 17, 2010

its a very nice relaxing video

Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2014

OMG NOOT NOOT

Pingu is the most cutest penguin in the world by far. The show is meant for kids but some older people me included like to watch it too! I think pingu is a good role model for kids who have siblings just don't tell your kids what noot noot actually means (its %*@!! you):o
Kid, 11 years old January 7, 2013

This show is great

This show is cute and awesome! Although the penguin language is a problem. I have been watching it ever since I was a baby.
Kid, 10 years old June 25, 2011

Pingu's Banned Episodes

OK this is a review about the banned episodes. PINGU'S DREAM Pingu's DreamIt is time for Pingu's bedtime, and he falls asleep while Mother is reading him a story. As Pingu sleeps, the igloo jumps up and down before floating away. His bed then sprouts legs and moves around. Although being rattled at first, he has lots of fun riding the bed, but he is unaware that a giant non-tusked whiskered walrus (or a leopard seal) is stalking him Censorship: This episode was placed on unofficial ban from broadcast distribution because it contains a giant grotesque-looking walrus/leopard seal that moves in very strange, disturbing ways trying to capture Pingu and was considered frightening for young children. It was also removed from rotation on British television in 2003, and was one of the few episodes pulled from Cartoon Network. and PINGU RUNS AWAY *clears throat* Is another banned one Pingu and his parents are enjoying a quiet dinner, but Pingu isn't happy due to him refusing to eat his disgusting dinner. Mother and Father decide to share their food. Father give Mother fish, Mother gives Father greens and Mother tries to give Pingu a brown potato, but he refuses and splatters it all over Mother. Father becomes enraged and tells him off. Pingu then rocks his chair and ends up pulling everything off the table. His parents becomes furious and Pingu ends up getting a spankingCensorship: Since the 1990s, Pingu Runs Away was deemed controversial due to its offensive scenes (including Mother spanking Pingu and Pingu running away from home). As a result, Pingu Runs Away was placed under unofficial ban from broadcast or video distribution from the US by The Pygos Group and other rights-holders and broadcasters (including Turner Broadcasting and HiT Entertainment) Also, the episode contains dark, frightening images that have scared many young viewers. Due to the upsetting themes in this episode also, it was removed from British television in 2005. This was also one of the few episodes pulled from Cartoon Network and Sprout due to its offensive material. The Last 2 ones PINGU GOES TO THE DOCTOR Mother goes out and leaves Pingu and Pinga at home. They decide to play dentist, but Pinga does not want to play when Pingu threatens to use a hammer and chisel on her. Pingu chases her, and during the chase a table gets knocked over by Pinga and Pingu bangs his beak on it. His beak is broken and bleeding. Pinga is sympathetic about this, So she bandages it up and takes Pingu to the doctor. The doctor, at first though, thinks that Pinga is the patient and takes her inside. She then tells the doctor that Pingu is the patient. Pingu is terrified when he sees the tool the doctor is going to use and runs off. Pinga and the doctor chase him round the outside of the igloo, but Pingu comes back inside and locks the doctor and Pinga out. Outside, all the other patients laugh at the whole fiasco. Pingu then rings Mother, who comes to the doctor and comforts him while his beak is being treated. Censorship:That episode had depictions of blood in it thus it was banned on CN. And the but not the least PINGU'S LAVATORY STORY its the well umm.... take a guess! Pingu and his family are eating lunch. Pinga opens her mouth for Pingu to put a piece of fish in her mouth, but Pingu ends up eating it himself, much to Pinga's annoyance. Pingu then heads off to go to a bar type shop to get a drink. Pinga follows him and wants a drink too. Pingu buys her two, but when she drinks them, she tinkles on the ground and Pingu hurriedly sends her home; she makes it to her potty just in time. Pingu then finds he needs to go to the toilet, and rushes home just in time to see his father go into the bathroom. He pushes Pinga off her potty so he can use that instead, and is sent outside, and he then in a rage plays doorbell ditch so that Dad has to rush out of the bathroom to get it and Pingu can run in and use the toilet. He urinates on the floor. Because, the toilet is too high. However, Father becomes enraged and tells him off to clean it up. Censorship: That episode had graphical depictions of urination and to put the salt on the wound The Pygos Group (the people who censor him) could'nt cover it up so now BANNED! but as long you avoid those episode even Hello,Pingu (cause it haves violence) it ok and like csm says Pingu and Robbie are magnets for trouble but the show is overall good 4/5 check for more Goodbye! or Mizz Mizz
Parent of a 2 year old Written byOlyfoodies August 25, 2010

Poor for language

Ok show. No taking, just jibber jabber. When my son started talking like that.. off
Parent of an infant and 5 year old Written byDomestica November 7, 2009

This show is just plain fun. Episodes last about 10 minutes each, so it is easy to dose for little kids. Pingu is a young penguin and lives with his caring mother, father (who knits!), and little baby sister Pinga. Pingu is a bit mischievous but not in a bad way. Plots are easy enough for a 4 year old to follow, may be a bit advanced for a 3-year old, but aesthetically nice to look at!
Educator Written byjoedeyejr March 7, 2009

Funny, cute and my 3-yr old grandson loved it, too.

Teen, 14 years old Written byWWEWRESTLINGFAN103 February 7, 2014

LEARNING

Pingu is a cool kids show

Pingu is awesome because all the episodes are funny and cool to watch and the characters are awesome, The clay animation looks amazing and the theme song is super awesome and the score Im giving Pingu is 100/100 I think this show could have more characters
Kid, 10 years old February 5, 2014

Funny, engaging and Pingu, although he is cheeky, he is a good role model. They do talk jibberish though. In one episode Pingu says,"hanamanaba go to the moonah?" Which I think means can I go to the moon?
Kid, 10 years old August 22, 2013

Pingu

I Love Pingu!Even Though I Only Saw One Episode,It Was Hilarious And Totally Kid Friendly.The Animation Is Great(I Think It's Made From Clay,All Of It)The Plots Are Great,And My Mom And I Laughed Out Loud When We Saw It. I Would Recommend This To Everyone Who Wants A Good Laugh.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFairyWars9 March 22, 2013

Cute show, but watch out for banned episodes repeats!

I've liked this show since I was a toddler! But a little warning to parents, some of the banned episodes get re-aired on APTN in Canada, but if you live in the United States you shouldn't worry. One of the banned episodes is "Pingu Runs Away" and it was banned by Sprout because his mom SPANKED Pingu (yeah you heard me) and Pingu runs away and during that time you can see weird looking cave things that was too scary for toddlers. But I saw this episode as a toddler on Treehouse TV and I thought Pingu's parents were abusing him! I know, a weird thing for a toddler to think, but I knew what it was from seeing a PSA about it. So overall, a good show for tots, but it's best to steer clear of YouTube and APTN to find/watch episodes. Stick to the DVD's.
Parent Written byShugocharafan88 January 7, 2013

yeah, its a looong story.

A picture of what the misc. forums is all about.....
Teen, 15 years old Written byOfficial Critic June 5, 2012

Good TV Show - with little education

A good TV show for kds under 5. Kids will pick up some education, but Pingu is for entertainment as well.
Parent Written byCarolineSL July 26, 2011

A mischevious little penguin

Because Pingu and his family and friends speak "pinguish", children can imagine their own interpretations of their dialogue based on intonation. Pingu is a funny and mischevious little penguin and my son enjoys watching him solve problems. The portrayals of sibling issues are great.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMr_ging July 19, 2011

It's ok just watch out for some episodes

To all the parents out there i think pingu is a good fun show for kids age 5+ but you need to watch out for some episodes (if they are still aired on TV) because as a experienced viewer of most of pingus bad moments some episodes are scary/disturbing for children under 4-5 i only ever saw pingu dreams and pingu runs away i'll start with pingu runs away- the only part i found scary as a child was the ice sculptures at the end but the episode made me upset when he was crying .ect. Pingus dream this is the episode that scared the living daylights out of me and caused some nightmares (yes i will admit this episode scares me even to this day) the scary part of the episode is at about 2 mins into it and then a giant red/brown walrus pops up and starts stalking pingu and looks slightly grotesque in some ways but apart from it looking disturbing it has a very scary laugh that was put in to make it less scary after the original was more of a doctor hibert laugh (the doctor from the simpsons) the newer one is well its hard to explain overall i think it is fine for children 4-5+ i also think in the walrus one it is saying even though some dreams are scary they are not real WARNING TO PARENTS: the 2 episodes mentioned ARE on the dvd box-set for season 1