All member reviews for Pretty Little Liars

Tantalizing mystery plays up glamour, sexiness of teen life.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byBs Mom July 27, 2010

The kids may be watching it but that does not make it Good.

There is not a lot redeeming about this show. The subject matter is too adult. I had to check it out because all of my 12 year old daughter's friends are watching it and she wanted to too. I was not impressed. The language, the sexual innuendo, the drug use, teachers kissing students, suicide, boyfriend stealing and these are supposed to be 15/16 year olds acting this way. God help us if this is the way our kids are really acting. This is nothing more than a soap opera aimed at kids. I cannot believe the young kids reviewing it on here saying it's great; I hope there is someone around to discuss the very adult subject matter that they have been subjected to. Even the show's creators say it's for 14 & up, but frankly I think it's pretty rough for a 14 year old much less a 10 or 11 year old. Makes me wonder if parents are just assuming it's fine because it's on ABC Family. It is not and my opinion of ABC Family has been reduced because of this Ultra-Trashy show.
Parent of a 4, 11, and 13 year old Written byjburnett711 March 31, 2011

Depends on the child and the parent!

I watch the show with 11 and 13 year old girls. They are both very mature, and this show is as scandelous as their media exposure gets. There is kissing in every episode, and once or twice a season sexual relationships are implied, but there are no make-out scenes longer then 5 or so seconds. I talk to them about boys and relationships, and try to provide healthy relationship and moral examples for them to follow. We spend more time together doing activities and talking then watching TV, but 40 minutes a week on Pretty Little Liars simply gives us something to talk about, and the topics are things that need to be addressed whether seeing them on TV or not. The characters are constantly faced with blackmail and bullying, and remain loyal to each other throughout the show. If there is a sexually themed episode, it is usually results in serious consequences involved. The student-teacher relationship is a non-sexual relationship between a 17 year old and a freshly graduated teacher who is very young, and they started dating before either of them knew he would be her teacher. Although I feel the age difference is inappropriate, the details of their relationship are moreso innocent then scandelous- meaning if he WEREN'T her teacher, it would be completely harmless. The most exciting part of the show is byfar the mystery! About the gay/lesbian relationship, I don't agree with it, but it is reality. Not to mention, this is a very small part of this show, and the parent can simply talk to their kids about it if it makes them uncomfortable. The only thing I do not like about the show, is that the main characters are very prone to lie to their parents which sets a bad example. However, this presents and opportunity for my to talk to them about this practice by using this negative example as "what NOT to do". Other then that there are several good ethical examples on the show- for instance, self-esteem and exceptance, high amounts of athletic activities, such as sports, and time outdoors, loyalty to each other, etc. I think the show honestly makes the kids appreciate the simplicity of their life more then they want to have the kinds of lives on this show.
Parent of a 2, 4, 10, and 11 year old Written bybpm01 December 11, 2010

Not appropriate for teens even.

I would not let my child watch this show until she was at least 16. My biggest issue is one of the girls is 16 and having an affair with her teacher who is in his early 20's. They make it seem totally okay and very exciting. This is in no way appropriate for a 14 year-old! Another character keeps sleeping with her older sisters boyfriends who are also in their 20's and she is like 16. Do people not understand that is illegal? So why would it be ok for a young teen to watch? There is also murder, drugs, alcohol and lying. It has no messages in it I would want my kids to learn.
Parent Written byFabMamaOf3 August 23, 2011

Pretty Little Liars: A-okay!

As a parent, who also has a degree in psychology, I just thought I would put my opinion on here. I am a younger mother (27) and I have 3 children, 2 of which are daughters. At this point my children are too young to watch or even grasp the show; however, if my children were older, 14+ I would not have an issue with them watching this. Yes, I would not want them cussing, no parent does, however this show is ultimately harmless when it comes to the sexual innuendos, kissing scenes are extremely short, the 'sex scenes' really dont show anything. I actually enjoy this show, myself. There are so many parents on here saying, 'God I hope our children don't behave like this', but the reality of it is, most teenagers do behave like this. Most of us did when we were in high school (okay, didn't have a relationship with a teacher, but still), most of us did have sex, drink, say curse words, and bicker with our friends and frenemies. Overall I think it is an okay show for kids to watch. If you have issues with it, then you need to be talking to your child. Do not just sit around and expect tv to teach them what to do. I remember learning about sex, in explicit ways, from my friends, because I, like many of the women that I know, had parents who were not open and honest about sex, and made it uncomfortable for you to talk to them. Bottom line, YOU are the parent, not the TV. YOU set the rules, and it is YOUR responsibility to teach your child right from wrong. If you have a good relationship with your child a tv show isn't going to change that. There is no point in blaming ABC Family, for what you are not talking to your children about. Because trust me, if they dont learn it from you they WILL learn about it from someone. Better step up and talk to your child now, and quit blaming the media!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTLPeace August 4, 2010
I Love this show, and I watch it EVERY TUESDAY and sometimes i recap online. Honestly I'm 13 and i watch it, and personally i think some parents can be really annoying with these kind of situations. Because it's all about what your kid knows and what you actually tell them. Because my parents always told me what i didnt know and what i had to look out for so it doesnt bother me if i see it on TV, because i already know what it is and i know what i am and what im not supposed to do.The lives in this series could very well happen to anybody. I mean one of my friends had an un-explanable death, and anybody could be in the closet, or a shoplifter, or they're parents have issues. So honestly I think parents should just sit down and talk to their kids because its not like none of these things could happen, and you cant act like it doesnt exist.
Teen, 13 years old Written byvamp4ever July 29, 2011

Diffently ok for 12+

I just wanna start out with saying this show isn't what some people make it out to be. First, Emily is lesbian, but that shouldn't be a problem because they're not slutty or anything. They have a good relationship and Emily's friends are supportive of her. I do not agree with lesbians but that doesn't mean they should be treated any different, and besides the show doesn't revolve around this and its not focused on overly much. Another complaint many have is that Aria is dating her teacher. The age difference is a bit bad, but its not terrible, and we don't know their exact ages anyway. Also, they met before he became her teachcer. The show doesn't exactly support (or not support) them dating as well. A negative is that there is kissing and drugs and language. However, the kissing is no more than 5 seconds, and basically how they kiss is in "Monte Carlo" too, which is a very ok 9-10 year old movie. With the drugs, there really isn't that much. Adults drink but its not very noticable or focused on. Emily does smoke but there was consequences and her mom did talk to her about it. The language really isn't bad at all just the "B" word, and some other mild cussing. But i doubt if the child is 12+ they don't know about those words. And besides they probablly hear them at home anyway(altho not always). Also negative, the kids on the show do lie to their parents alot, but it doesn't completely support it. Most of the lies are because they can't explain truthfully everything because they cannot tell their parents about 'A' and the blackmail. Also, i truely think from my heart that they lie to their parents so much because they fell they can't trust their parents and don't have a very good relationship with them. So as long as you have a good relationship with your child it should be completely fine. Also, when they try to tell the truth 'A' stops them(Ex: Emily decides not to send fake invite for college scolarship(which sounds bad but not like that) even tho she knows there is a 75% chance she'll get in, but 'A' somehow manages to send it anyway.) There is positive messages too. The 4 main girls fight through Allison's death, and support each other through everything. This show also supports body image, and how your gorgeous no matter what. Spencer is a very well brought up girl who tries super hard in school and Emily follows her dream as a swimmer. There is some violence (Ex: Hannah get ran over and Ian gets murdered, however its not bloody and the murder is completely off camera, they find him already dead and there is just some blood where he got shot, but its not gory, and Hannah getting ran over isn't completely onscreen either). This show also shows how bullying and black mail can affect ones life, but in no way supports it. Finally, I was completly upset when commonsense says "plays up sexiness of teen life" because it makes it sound way worse than it is. This show isn't about hair, makeup, nails, going to the mall, and dating.This show is about the stuggles of Alisons death and trying to learn who killed her and who 'A' is, friends supporting each other, boyfriends who support you, and struggling to make the right choices in life, which is all very important. Overall, this show is not as bad as some make it out to be. Its a great series and kids 12+ should diffently be ok with it. No younger though.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byclaire123 January 15, 2011

11 year olds can handle it!

i think this is a good show and kids over 11 can handle everything in it, my daughter is in 5th grade and can handle the storyline. she has read all of the books and asked to watch the show. 11 year olds are capable of this show!
Teen, 14 years old Written byI am Running to... July 11, 2010

Coool

If parents are worried, just watch it with your daughters. Plus, they probably already read the books. Also, you'd be surprised how much they already know....
Teen, 13 years old Written byscreenname666 March 25, 2011

Don't be afraid to let your 12/13 year old watch this

I probably seem like some stupid 13 year old who thinks I'm older than I am in reality. But, whether I am 13 or 30, I think it's okay for 13 and up. Iffy for 12 and up. As an eighth grader now, I know that we covered most of the inappropriate content in health class in 6th/7th grade. Your kid at about 12 is exposed to this already. There are no doubts in my mind. I don't believe that most tweens/teens will attempt to immitate this inappropriate behavior. If you feel that your child is not responsible enough, simply ban the show. There is violence, but again, not more than typical kids are exposed to on a daily basis. Kids at this age realize that murder and violence are a reality and not good. The show is mostly about the girls being harassed and attempting to discover who A and Alison's killer are. Some role models aren't good, but many are positive, as well, which is the case in most TV shows. The language is inappropriate for younger kids/tweens. b***h, h**l, ect. By 12, your kids should know what these words are and they probably hear them at school already. If don't swear by that age, I highly doubt that a show will change their minds about curses. The gay/lesbian thing- come on. That is not inappropriate and every parent should be okay with their kid seeing these things. If you are a homophobic and refuse to let your children view this content, you have problems. One of the positive messeges of the story is equality. The story can be a bit scary, but it is a great teen mystery!
Parent Written byGaga Fan March 26, 2011
Whether to watch this show depends on your child. I read the books as has my 14 year old and we watch in with our 10 year old. My 14 year old daughter is not impressed by the mean girls and thinks the relationship between Aria and Ezra is inappropriate. My 10 year old is male and just enjoys it for the mystery storyline and and shuts his eyes during the kissing. I don't have a problem with the lesbian storyline, but I can see where others might. It depends on your family and their values. It's definitely milder than Gossip Girl and Skins. My kids are not adversely effected and don't emulate the behavior of the characters. If your kids would admire these girls and want to make similar choices, I would not watch this show!
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byelizabeth mc August 3, 2010
I saw the commercials for this show and thought it might be fun for my daughters to watch. They are 11 and 13. I also saw that a lot of their friends were watching the show, and so I didn't do my homework. I have learned a huge lesson, and strongly oppose any child being exposed this show or these books. Everything about this show is meant to shock and to normalize bad behaviors. ABC Family definitely needs to take the family out of its name with this type of programming. They are really targeting young viewers. It amazes me how inappropriate most "teen" books are and that middle school aged children are reading them. I watched the last episode where two best friends casually kiss. I really could not believe this was on TV. It was a very provocative scene that didn't seem to have anything to do with being gay, but more of one girl being seduced by one of her "best friends" who was just out to hurt people. It really trivializes what a gay teen might be going through. I am at a loss. Not to mention the teacher student relationship and the cheating parents and so on and so on. Just terrible role models all around for kids. The mystery part can be scary for kids, too. Sure kids may "know" about some of this stuff, but to show it on a "family" television station and make it seem okay and normal is very irresponsible. Guess that is the world we live in.
Parent Written byAndrew Jefferson July 11, 2013

PLL beautifies dying young.

This show is simply designed to make death at a young age appealing to teenagers. Just after watching the first season I have noticed many reoccurring suggestions about how tragically glamorous a young women's death can be. This can play with young, not fully mature, women's minds. The reason I am even writing this is because a high school girl who my wife was very close to committed suicide over a break up a few months ago. This girl was extremely popular and never showed any previous signs of depression. Just last week my wife suggested we start watching Pretty Little Liars because it was also this same girl's favorite show. After just completing the first season it has made me seriously consider if this show could have possibly had any influence in this girls choice in death. I am not saying the show is completely to blame, but, what I am saying is that it does have many little seeds that could very well be planted in young women's minds in regards to making suicide seem appealing. Just in the first episode during Ali's funeral one of the girls says something along the lines " I wish Ali could be here for this, she would have loved it. She is even more popular in death than in life." In episode 8 Ali is also shown romanticizing about dying young and describes how leaving behind a beautiful corps is true immortality. Dying old is less glamorous and few are around to morn your passing. Remember, film motifs can have very powerful effects on the conscious and subconscious mind. Especially on the adolescent.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymurdermygymsox January 11, 2011

Parents: Watch it first, then you decide. Kids: Watch with caution.

I'm 16 years old, and sometimes I cringe when watching this show. The story is addicting and interesting. I watch the show every week, and I actually think about the show and who the mysterious "A" is. However, the things that make me unhappy about the show are the sexual content, the less than positive messages, and bad role models. While there are not sex scenes, there are lots of innuendos and kissing. Along with that, provocative relationships. While the stories of Aria and her teacher's relationships and Emily's lesbian relationship with Maya are addicting to watch, parents should watch out for those scenes. The messages in the show are not positive, either. The entire show is centered around "A" who haunts and blackmails the girls with secrets from their past. Rarely is there ever hope of being free of "A"'s oppression, even after hard persistence and investigation from the main characters. Lastly, which bothers me the most, are the negative role models. Every character has a dark, and often dirty, secret that they must keep hidden from everyone they know that matters, and that encourages desperate secrecy and lying, especially towards the characters' parents. And not even the adults are safe from poor leadership. Several adult characters, including the teacher Mr. Fitz and Hanna's mother, hide secrets as dark as the teenagers, and don't handle them any better. All in all, great show. I'd encourage parents to watch an episode or two first to get the idea if the show is right for their children.
Adult Written bySpartyon May 26, 2011

I really like Pretty Little Liars ages 11 & up

Pretty Little Liars is a pretty good show I really like it a lot. It has a positive message that being a bully isn't cool and it has good role models. I think 11 & up can handle this show and if they know from right to wrong parents shouldn't have a problem with this show.
Adult Written byBerrybones July 5, 2011

Pretty Little Reservations!

I decided to watch an entire show first so I could decide whether I would let my teen (13) watch it. In the last minute, they showed a teen dead on the ground with a gun next to his body. He had just shot himself in the head. Not entertaining. I think I'll hold off on that decision for a while.
Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2011

Awesome for mature kids!!!

I started reading this book series and knew that i had to watch the show!!!! It is awesome for mature kids that are at least 10 and that is how old I was when I started watching pll. There is some language, as teenagers use in real life(I have an older brother) and drinking.
Adult Written byJiMiF October 24, 2012

Caution Parents: The PLL Characters Live/Dress Like 20-Somethings, NOT Teens

I enjoy this show as an adult, but I know I would not have been allowed to watch it as a teen. All four girls are sexually active, and the love scenes are racy. The character Hanna was in a rush to lose her virginity, and when the character, Aria, who is in a relationship with her former teacher finally did the deed with him, she was met with approval and cheering from her friends. It depends on the values you're trying to instill, but these girls live a 20-something lifestyle, rather than that of a teen with even their access to big spending. When they show flashbacks of the girl who was murdered (who the show's plot centers on), I'm always surprised and find myself hoping no teens are watching and being negatively influenced. There's almost always alcohol and skimpy clothes in those scenes, and that character was supposed to be a new high schooler! It's such a fun show for grown ups, but I think it could lead teens astray from the values of home, especially if you have a conservative home or want your children to (and want to) preserve their virginity.
Parent of a 2, 14, and 14 year old Written byprettylittlelia... March 3, 2011

tweens and teens are okay

I love this show because it teaches children what life is like starting at about high school. They will know what kind of behavior to watch out for and stuff like that.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook January 29, 2011

Flawed, Addictive Guilty Pleasure

Before I begin, I'd like to say why I started watching this show. I'd seen pictures of one of the couples being compared to one of my favorite television couples. It was Glee's Brittany and Santana being compared to PLL's Emily and Maya. So, if you're uncomfortable with lesbians, this is not a show I recommend for you (I also recommend you take a lesson in tolerance). Emily Fields, with the exception of her lying, is an amazing LGBT role model. Unlike Brit and San, the show treats Emily and Maya as more than a joke. They're treated like a real relationship. Neither of them are sluts, and their friends are completely accepting. It's refreshing to see a show that treats a lesbian couple like this, and it's one of the few reasons that I'm still watching this show. Unfortunately, I can't say the rest of the couples. With a few exceptions, the boys often come across as accessories rather than characters. The most notable example is Aria and her teacher, Erza Fitz. All they do is fight, make up, and make out. I can't help but wonder why they would risk it all to keep this relationship going. Admittedly, this pairing is slightly less creepy than the review implies (the teacher's in his twenties and they meet before school). The parents are all awful role models, they steal, lie, have sex with police offerers to cover up their daughters tracks, have affairs, etc. The characters all lie, but everytime they like, their situation seems to get worse, and I can't help but wonder why they don't just tell the truth. While I can't stand two out of the four main characters and the subplots often bore me, the mystery gives me an incentive to keep going. Don't expect anything deep - it's the teen girl version of a detective show (with things like lip stick color being evidence), but once you start watching, it's hard to stop. Language is pretty mild for a teen show - d--n, b----h, nothing worse.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bylive4tea@msn.com August 21, 2010

fine for someone else's kids

I told my 13 yr old if it was so important to watch it, she needed to read the books first, then tell me if she felt is was appropriate. So far, no books...Maybe she IS the only 13 year old not watching it, but I didn't say she couldn't, just put some conditions on it.