All member reviews for Pretty Little Liars

Teen, 13 years old Written byTLPeace August 4, 2010

I Love this show, and I watch it EVERY TUESDAY and sometimes i recap online. Honestly I'm 13 and i watch it, and personally i think some parents can be really annoying with these kind of situations. Because it's all about what your kid knows and what you actually tell them. Because my parents always told me what i didnt know and what i had to look out for so it doesnt bother me if i see it on TV, because i already know what it is and i know what i am and what im not supposed to do.The lives in this series could very well happen to anybody. I mean one of my friends had an un-explanable death, and anybody could be in the closet, or a shoplifter, or they're parents have issues. So honestly I think parents should just sit down and talk to their kids because its not like none of these things could happen, and you cant act like it doesnt exist.
Teen, 13 years old Written byvamp4ever July 29, 2011

Diffently ok for 12+

I just wanna start out with saying this show isn't what some people make it out to be. First, Emily is lesbian, but that shouldn't be a problem because they're not slutty or anything. They have a good relationship and Emily's friends are supportive of her. I do not agree with lesbians but that doesn't mean they should be treated any different, and besides the show doesn't revolve around this and its not focused on overly much. Another complaint many have is that Aria is dating her teacher. The age difference is a bit bad, but its not terrible, and we don't know their exact ages anyway. Also, they met before he became her teachcer. The show doesn't exactly support (or not support) them dating as well. A negative is that there is kissing and drugs and language. However, the kissing is no more than 5 seconds, and basically how they kiss is in "Monte Carlo" too, which is a very ok 9-10 year old movie. With the drugs, there really isn't that much. Adults drink but its not very noticable or focused on. Emily does smoke but there was consequences and her mom did talk to her about it. The language really isn't bad at all just the "B" word, and some other mild cussing. But i doubt if the child is 12+ they don't know about those words. And besides they probablly hear them at home anyway(altho not always). Also negative, the kids on the show do lie to their parents alot, but it doesn't completely support it. Most of the lies are because they can't explain truthfully everything because they cannot tell their parents about 'A' and the blackmail. Also, i truely think from my heart that they lie to their parents so much because they fell they can't trust their parents and don't have a very good relationship with them. So as long as you have a good relationship with your child it should be completely fine. Also, when they try to tell the truth 'A' stops them(Ex: Emily decides not to send fake invite for college scolarship(which sounds bad but not like that) even tho she knows there is a 75% chance she'll get in, but 'A' somehow manages to send it anyway.) There is positive messages too. The 4 main girls fight through Allison's death, and support each other through everything. This show also supports body image, and how your gorgeous no matter what. Spencer is a very well brought up girl who tries super hard in school and Emily follows her dream as a swimmer. There is some violence (Ex: Hannah get ran over and Ian gets murdered, however its not bloody and the murder is completely off camera, they find him already dead and there is just some blood where he got shot, but its not gory, and Hannah getting ran over isn't completely onscreen either). This show also shows how bullying and black mail can affect ones life, but in no way supports it. Finally, I was completly upset when commonsense says "plays up sexiness of teen life" because it makes it sound way worse than it is. This show isn't about hair, makeup, nails, going to the mall, and dating.This show is about the stuggles of Alisons death and trying to learn who killed her and who 'A' is, friends supporting each other, boyfriends who support you, and struggling to make the right choices in life, which is all very important. Overall, this show is not as bad as some make it out to be. Its a great series and kids 12+ should diffently be ok with it. No younger though.
Teen, 14 years old Written byI am Running to... July 11, 2010

Coool

If parents are worried, just watch it with your daughters. Plus, they probably already read the books. Also, you'd be surprised how much they already know....
Teen, 16 years old Written bymurdermygymsox January 11, 2011

Parents: Watch it first, then you decide. Kids: Watch with caution.

I'm 16 years old, and sometimes I cringe when watching this show. The story is addicting and interesting. I watch the show every week, and I actually think about the show and who the mysterious "A" is. However, the things that make me unhappy about the show are the sexual content, the less than positive messages, and bad role models. While there are not sex scenes, there are lots of innuendos and kissing. Along with that, provocative relationships. While the stories of Aria and her teacher's relationships and Emily's lesbian relationship with Maya are addicting to watch, parents should watch out for those scenes. The messages in the show are not positive, either. The entire show is centered around "A" who haunts and blackmails the girls with secrets from their past. Rarely is there ever hope of being free of "A"'s oppression, even after hard persistence and investigation from the main characters. Lastly, which bothers me the most, are the negative role models. Every character has a dark, and often dirty, secret that they must keep hidden from everyone they know that matters, and that encourages desperate secrecy and lying, especially towards the characters' parents. And not even the adults are safe from poor leadership. Several adult characters, including the teacher Mr. Fitz and Hanna's mother, hide secrets as dark as the teenagers, and don't handle them any better. All in all, great show. I'd encourage parents to watch an episode or two first to get the idea if the show is right for their children.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook January 29, 2011

Flawed, Addictive Guilty Pleasure

Before I begin, I'd like to say why I started watching this show. I'd seen pictures of one of the couples being compared to one of my favorite television couples. It was Glee's Brittany and Santana being compared to PLL's Emily and Maya. So, if you're uncomfortable with lesbians, this is not a show I recommend for you (I also recommend you take a lesson in tolerance). Emily Fields, with the exception of her lying, is an amazing LGBT role model. Unlike Brit and San, the show treats Emily and Maya as more than a joke. They're treated like a real relationship. Neither of them are sluts, and their friends are completely accepting. It's refreshing to see a show that treats a lesbian couple like this, and it's one of the few reasons that I'm still watching this show. Unfortunately, I can't say the rest of the couples. With a few exceptions, the boys often come across as accessories rather than characters. The most notable example is Aria and her teacher, Erza Fitz. All they do is fight, make up, and make out. I can't help but wonder why they would risk it all to keep this relationship going. Admittedly, this pairing is slightly less creepy than the review implies (the teacher's in his twenties and they meet before school). The parents are all awful role models, they steal, lie, have sex with police offerers to cover up their daughters tracks, have affairs, etc. The characters all lie, but everytime they like, their situation seems to get worse, and I can't help but wonder why they don't just tell the truth. While I can't stand two out of the four main characters and the subplots often bore me, the mystery gives me an incentive to keep going. Don't expect anything deep - it's the teen girl version of a detective show (with things like lip stick color being evidence), but once you start watching, it's hard to stop. Language is pretty mild for a teen show - d--n, b----h, nothing worse.
Teen, 13 years old Written byscreenname666 March 25, 2011

Don't be afraid to let your 12/13 year old watch this

I probably seem like some stupid 13 year old who thinks I'm older than I am in reality. But, whether I am 13 or 30, I think it's okay for 13 and up. Iffy for 12 and up. As an eighth grader now, I know that we covered most of the inappropriate content in health class in 6th/7th grade. Your kid at about 12 is exposed to this already. There are no doubts in my mind. I don't believe that most tweens/teens will attempt to immitate this inappropriate behavior. If you feel that your child is not responsible enough, simply ban the show. There is violence, but again, not more than typical kids are exposed to on a daily basis. Kids at this age realize that murder and violence are a reality and not good. The show is mostly about the girls being harassed and attempting to discover who A and Alison's killer are. Some role models aren't good, but many are positive, as well, which is the case in most TV shows. The language is inappropriate for younger kids/tweens. b***h, h**l, ect. By 12, your kids should know what these words are and they probably hear them at school already. If don't swear by that age, I highly doubt that a show will change their minds about curses. The gay/lesbian thing- come on. That is not inappropriate and every parent should be okay with their kid seeing these things. If you are a homophobic and refuse to let your children view this content, you have problems. One of the positive messeges of the story is equality. The story can be a bit scary, but it is a great teen mystery!
Teen, 14 years old Written byZarah November 12, 2010

Can't wait till next season!

I love this show! There is some content that wouldn't be good for younger kids though ( such as two girls kissing) but overall it is a great show with suspense and alot of fun trying to figure out who "A" is.
Kid, 12 years old July 7, 2010

Awesome!

I love it! i am a little young for it but, it is very interesting and i know right from wrong. It makes you wonder, WHATS NEXT??? i love this series and would recamend 13 and up
Kid, 12 years old June 24, 2010

great- teens will love it

i really like pretty little liars, but there is to much drug use. also, there is a relationship between a teacher and a high school student. it is a great show that leaves you at a cliff hanger at every episode. i think that it's ok for young teens- deffinetly nobody under 12, though.
Teen, 17 years old Written byKateeRose February 4, 2014

Pretty Little Liars ~ One of my favorites

I love this show so much, and started watching it when I was 13 when it first aired! In addition I am still keeping up with it and watch it every Tuesday night I can! This show does not present anything that most 11 year olds can't handle! The level of drugs and alcohol is practically nonexistent as well as sex, with the exception of very few episodes! If anything its more all talk then actual show. Kissing is really all that is ever displayed. Otherwise the show is by all means appropriate for age 11 and up! Its a very fun mystery that will keep you hooked and always wanting more! The only concerns I would have is if your child is rather sensitive, for some scenes can be a bit intense and creepy, but as long as they aren't watching it alone in a dark room, then there really shouldn't be any worries! Its a wonderful show that has forever been on my favorites list and is probably one of the only shows that I have consistently watched from the start, which really says something! Highly recommend.
Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2011

Awesome for mature kids!!!

I started reading this book series and knew that i had to watch the show!!!! It is awesome for mature kids that are at least 10 and that is how old I was when I started watching pll. There is some language, as teenagers use in real life(I have an older brother) and drinking.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLibstudent6 February 28, 2011

Love it. One if My Favorite Shows. Watch it every monday.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykitkatdancer August 2, 2010

I am a thirteen year old girl who watches this show. I love it, it is a murder misterey with the twist of teenage drama which is very entertaining. I think that if you let your child watch this show you should know what is on it and if that is somethimg your child can handle. If it is I think you and your child will have a great time watching this show together!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMarion Rijskamp December 9, 2012

Fine for kids 12 & up

I'm thirteen myself and I'd say anyone above the age of 11 is able to understand the things that happen in this show. Your kids know more than you think! First of all: The teacher-student relationship is fairly innocent. The 23-24 year old fresh college graduate and the 16-17 year old junior in high school meet before the school-year starts. There's only a difference of about 7 years, which would be seen as completely okay and normal, if they weren't teacher and student. They're not sexually active until about a year into the relationship. Besides, you can't help who you fall in love with. I also think one of the main characters struggling with their sexuality really helps and relates to teens all over the world. And if this is a reason you don't allow your kid to watch this show, I suggest you alter your morals. The swearing isn't that bad, and I think teens are sensible enough to decide whether they're going to swear/drink/smoke or not. It's the parents' job to educate their child about matters like this. A show that's created to entertain shouldn't be used as an excuse. I've been watching this show for a while now and I haven't magically mirrored the bad behaviour in the show because I realise it's wrong. Overall I think parents are exaggerating. If your teen enjoys watching this show and simply understands what's happening and knows it's wrong they should be fine.
Teen, 15 years old Written byteen143 August 18, 2012

what parents should know

i think parents might get the wrong idea from this tv show because they will watch one episode and see the girls doing bad things like making out with teachers, stealing, cheating on sister's boyfriends etc then the parents will think the show is bad. But if you really know the FULL stories of the show, it comes from a good place. In the novels, every girl has one big problem or secret that they are going through in their life. and these problems are things that real girls go through. for example, one girl is coming out of the closet, another girl is insecure about her weight, another's parents are going through a divorce, another is constantly being compared to her older "perfect" sister. So even though the girls do act out, they have real problems that real girls watching the show can relate to. So before you go and critisize the show for being bad make sure you know the whole story witch you will not understand from watching one episode.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybpixie August 20, 2010

Mixing all together the basic ingredients for the best show ever!

This is my FAVORITE show of all time. The plot is perfect, the cast is completely amazing, the acting is awesome. What more do you need? The show follows four girls one year after their best friend Alison was murdered. Alison took four secrets to the grave, one for each of the girls. And when the girls begin receiving mysterious text messages from the forever-sly "A", the girls begin to question Alison's secrets. The show is fabulous, with the right amount of suspense, romance, drama, and a tinge of horror - or more like creepiness. Put it all together and you get one result: The best show ever. Language is not that bad, just normal teenager talk, lots of kissing and mild sexuality, nothing graphic at all. I don't rate it 13+ for the language or sexuality, but just mainly the basic creepiness of the show. THANK YOU ABC FOR FINALLY AN AMAZING SHOW!!!!
Kid, 12 years old March 26, 2011

Gotta have your values in life set.

I LOVE Pretty Little Liars. It's my obsession! But, I'm going to review it as if I had never read all the books, and only seen the show once. (I've seen every single episode:D) Pretty Little Liars takes place in a suburb of Philidelphia; Rosewood. Four high school girls recently lost their best friend in a murder, and they're receiving 'blackmailing' from a mysterious person who goes by the name of "A" Well, a lot of girls in my town watch this show. So, people are naturally being pressured into watching it. I think that you need to have your values in life set before you watch it, because as I, and all of my other friends are just now becoming a teenager - or have just become a teenager, we need to know that the affairs, language, and behavior is not how kids should act. I am mature, and I know that the whole show goes by a script. It's not real life. The message of the show? Not so great. The language? Eh. But as far as shows go that make you stay on the edge of your seat, this one's great.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynutellagirl June 28, 2015

A SIMPLE REVIEW

AGE RATING: Children that are 12 years old or more could watch it without any problems. Children that are 11 years old would depend on the maturity they have. Children that are 10 or less years old shouldn't watch this show. GENDER: I think this TV show is mostly for girls. No problem if a boy likes it or not, but it's more about girls' problems and their life. (like a teenage drama show for girls) ABOUT THE SHOW: It's a good show. It's about four teenagers whose's life is threatened by an unknown person. He/She interferes with common situations in a teenager's life (boyfriends, school, etc). PERSONAL RATING: 5 stars
Teen, 13 years old Written byTVaddict February 6, 2013

Parents Get 'A' Grip

I only started watching the show because my friends kept on talking about it in school. Let me tell you I'm glad I did. it is so amazing; the characters, the story line and the mystery. the story centres around four girls who are known by fans as the 'liars', they are Aria Montgomery, Spencer Hastings, Hanna Merin and Emily Fields. there is a lot about relationships in the program. Spencer seems to be attracted to her sisters partners who are older than her (she is roughly 16-17 with her sister being roughly 23) . Hanna is involved with Caleb who seems a bit shifty at the start but turns out to be a loving and caring boy who will do anything to protect Hanna. Emily's relationships seem to have caused a bit of bother between people on this site as she is dating Maya. Aria's relationship is the one i find most interesting. she is dating her English teacher Ezra Fitz (you are gasping now), its not as bad as it seems, they met before he was her English teacher and they have the strongest relationship. they hide it at first but face the consequences when they tell aria's mum and dad who happen to be Ezra's colleagues. (personally i am on team Ezria) there is mild drink and drug use although it is all underage. Violence? of course theres violence that makes the best shows. i have jumped a few time with fright especially in the first Halloween episode. (scary) i have read reviews with parents saying 'oh i feel this is inappropriate and teaches my child bad lessons'. i mean seriously get over it, your children are not thick they get that some things shouldn't be done (if they don't that's your fault) and to all of you who say i sit down and talk with my child about the show afterward give it up. my mum has never even seen the show, she knows i watch it, but says she doesn't need to watch it she trusts that i wont watch anything that is too inappropriate, so trust your child. it is a fantastic show i encourage all 13+ children to watch it. Thank you.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjm97 October 14, 2012

Pretty Little Liars

This is an amazing show! I watch every Tuesday and pine for it when it's on hiatus. There is some violence, but it is not over-the-top. The sexual content is kept to a minimum, and there is minimal language. There is some drinking, but that is only once in a while. There are a few provocative topics, such a teacher being involved with a student. He is no longer a teacher and truly loves her. They're relationship is very sweet with little sexual activity. Also there is a lesbian character. I would like to thank ABC Family for creating an amazing, normal gay character. She is one of the best role models. She is a great example that means just because you are gay doesn't mean you are different. I love this show and the mystery, romance, and comedy that comes with it. This should be fine for anyone 13 and up.