All member reviews for Pretty Little Liars

Tantalizing mystery plays up glamour, sexiness of teen life.

Kid, 11 years old February 7, 2015

MY FAVE SHOW

I'm 11 and I love this show. Not inappropriate at all! A little bit of violence but not much.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThecoffeeowl224 February 6, 2015
Parent Written bycamolin February 5, 2015

Latest Series

Can anyone tell me if it is correct the latest series 5 is classified for 18 year old plus?. The DVD is not yet available but download from Amazon has 18. I cannot let my daughter see this if true but so annoying as started as 12 , then 15 and now 18 !
Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2015

Good

This is amazing for mature 10 year olds this always keeps me gripped and is very mysterious.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygracemilia January 18, 2015
Educator and Parent Written byJessesmith1 January 13, 2015

Pretty Little Liars

I discovered my daughter (age 12) watching this a few weeks ago. Luckily I've seen all the episodes, so I am relived that she's watching this and not gossip girl! I think this show is okay for her because it's mothing we haven't heard about in this week's episode of Downton Abbey! I've decided to let her continue to watch it on the conditions that she skips any scenes she wouldn't watch if I was in the room. I would recommend making this deal with your kids because you will find it is a great trust building exercise. I wouldn't trust the review common sense gives, I have found that that writer isn't great, she said elemo isn't approp for ages 2 and under! Overall I am going to let my daughter continue to watch Pretty Little Liars.
Teen, 13 years old Written byericasto December 31, 2014

Some iffy material -- but otherwise pretty appropriate

The show has some iffy material like language and romance, but otherwise it is quite appropriate for ages 11 and up. There are some bad things like inappropriate teacher-student relationships and such, but everyone faces consequences for their actions and when someone does a good thing they are rewarded.
Teen, 15 years old Written byglitterbear22 December 30, 2014
if you think your child can handle small amounts of kissing and some violence. its a good show
Teen, 13 years old Written byReadMyReviewPlease December 28, 2014

Pretty Little Liars- Good Show

Pretty Little Liars is a very good show surrounding a mystery about an unknown blackmailer, and the drama of teen girls. The show's story line is pretty good, but the acting is not. There are some mature concepts, which aren't appropriate for anyone under 12. This show is dramatic, mysterious, and very addicting. There are a few good messages including being who you are, and helping others. The only curse word they really use is "bitch", but besides that, the language is appropriate. There is a lot of violence, which is why kids probably shouldn't watch it. There are a few disturbing scenes, but other than that, this show is very good. It's one of my favorites and I'd recommend it to most people.
Adult Written byrobinlaste November 7, 2014

Great Show!

This show is really interesting, there's only a couple iffy things about it, but I think its good for kids after 12/13.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPrettyLittleWalker November 4, 2014

Know Your Kid

I'm thirteen and I've been watching the show since I was twelve. I think you really need to decide how easily your child is influenced to make a decision, because there are some iffy topics on the show and you need to make sure that your child knows these things are wrong. Great messages - the girls generally are given consequences for their actions (Maya smokes weed and gets sent away and later dies, but her death is unrelated; Hanna shoplifts and gets arrested; Aria dates an older teacher and gets in trouble with her parents) and the show is focused around the girls sticking together and being themselves. Great role models - the girls do lie a lot (hence the title of the show) but they generally have sufficient reason, such as protecting someone. Too much violence - nothing really gory or onscreen here at all. You honestly don't see anything. If your kid watches The Walking Dead, this is a preschool show in comparison. Too much sex - not really. There's some kissing, between both same- and opposite-sex couples. Hopefully nobody has a problem with there being a lesbian relationship is this show. It encourages Emily to be herself and not care what anyone else thinks about her. There are some implied sex scenes, but nothing is shown, and those scenes are pretty rare. There's a character who tells his girlfriend he won't have sex before marriage because it isn't right. He's definitely a positive role model. Too much swearing - nothing too strong. B*tch, d*mn, hell, and crap...nothing kids don't hear on a daily basis. Too much consumerism - I don't even inderstand how this one could make you decide not to let your child watch a show. There isn't any in the first place, but I doubt an Oreo package or the MTV symbol could make a show inappropriate. Too much drinking - there's some, by both adults and teens, but nothing major. I recall two instances - in the first, one girl goes missing and the others don't realize it because they were drunk, and in the second, Hanna gets drunk at a wedding but ends up getting in trouble with her parents. Lately, Hanna has had a drinking problem because of her boyfriend, but she's convincing him to stop. Too much drugs - there's one character, Maya, who smokes pot, but she gets sent away and it is recognized that her actions were wrong. Also, Spencer takes pills to stay awake but gets help. Too much smoking - extremely rare. There's the Maya situation and one scene where Wren is seen smoking a cigarette. That's all about this show. I think most kids eleven and older already know all of the content in the show and nothing will differ from what they hear on a daily basis.
Kid, 11 years old November 1, 2014

LOVE IT !

I always watch it online and its amazing ! Really good TV show and my mom's ok with it !She also watches it, we are both in season 6 now ! Nothing else to say ! Love it ! also alot of suspense, mystery, tension and other like that ! great tv show on ''ABC family tuesday 8/7c''.
Parent Written byPhil16 October 19, 2014

Not a bad show but no good for impressionable young minds

A fairly enjoyable show especially in the early seasons. I do feel however that it send the wrong messages to young children who may be looking for role models. Pros: Emphasizes the value of friends Shows that secrets almost always come out Cons: Characters focus on their weight a lot (actually show scenes of one girl throwing up to loose weight), Lots of focus on Fashion and boys (one main character actually has a long term relationship with her young english teacher) Lots of lying to each other and parents One girl even shoplifts just for the fun of it and when she is caught her mother sleeps with the cop in order to get to drop the charges. This show send all the wrong messages to children and teens, but is perfectly fine for mature teens who have a strong identity of their own and a clear sense of what is right and wrong. Early season are not too bad but later season are not as good.
Kid, 12 years old October 1, 2014

Twisted, captivating show can get frightening at times

It's safe to say that pretty little liars is my favorite tv show. But this dark mystery is not for everyone. Some younger kids might be scared by the intense action sequences, taken aback by the frequent cursing, or unsure of the sexiness of the show as well. Teens also get drunk, stoned, and there are some times where the mysterious "A" tries to give the pretty little liars certain drugs to carry out their evil plan. But all in all, these things are not very frequent (except for the @$&!?) and if you have a younger child these things will probably go right over their head. And the show does have one positive message that csm didn't pick up on: lies always come back to bite you. Always.
Kid, 10 years old September 15, 2014

Pretty Good

I like this show so far, and it's pretty cool.
Kid, 12 years old September 12, 2014

a great show for the tween and teen audience

It's a great show for tweens and teens, not very bad, I'm 12 and my rather overprotective mother allows me to watch it on my own. It suggests characters having sex but you never see or hear anything bad, (spoiler!) For instance when Hannah gives up her virginity to Caleb all you see is a shadow from their tent of her taking her top off. There are a few swear words, the main one being b-tch, if you or your child gets very easily creeped out I might recommend being cautious because it can be rather creepy and as for me, whom watches it on Netflix, usually around 2 in the morning, it can get creepy and get me slightly freaked out if I hear something outside. But it's really, not bad. If your against lesbians or gays/ maybe you wouldn't like the teacher/student relationship you may want to be cautious about that. If your sceptical about it, watch it with your child, but don't say no!, it's a great show!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymahin124 September 2, 2014

Good choice for 13 in a half and up!

First off, this show is not as bad a people make it out to be. In my opinion the first season is probably the worst after that everything gets toned out and its all about A. My mom never let me watch this show till I am in 8th grade witch now. Yes their are nt the best messeges in this t.v show aka Aria dating a man older thne her and spencer almost dating her sisters fiance but they all stop. Spencer feels guilty and stops. Aria continues but nothing is show and all their is is some kissing that alsts under 5 seconds. This is nothing like gossip girl if parents were wondering and I love this show. Its a great drama and mystery and if you are worried you could watch it wiht your child but they feel embarrased. Overall your child should be at least 13 or going on to 14!
Teen, 14 years old Written bylilyy.xx August 27, 2014
I started watching PLL when I was 12 years old. It is NOT an inappropriate show whatsoever. There is some sex but they always hint at it not exactly show anything or say dirty things. There is obviously murder but I mean if your child can handle that I think it is fine since there is no gore or anything really dusturbing about that. Honestly if you are a mature 12-13 year old I think this is a fine show to watch and it's honestly really good :)
Kid, 10 years old August 26, 2014

Depending on how mature you are

Pretty Little Liars is a great show! It has some inappropriate scenes but theyre not graphic, my opinion is if you are about 11 or 12 and youre mature enough youre really going to like this show:)
Teen, 13 years old Written bylovelacrosse1228 August 21, 2014

Mystery for Mature Teens

This show has gotten a lot of bad rep from parents. There IS a relationship between an 18 - year - old and a freshly graduated teacher, but it isn't glorified and it's innocent, and there are consequences. There IS mild swearing (damn, b***h, crap, etc.,), but it isn't something your 13- year old can't handle. There IS a lesbian relationship between two main characters. There ARE intimate scenes between 18-year olds who clearly love each other. There IS a little underage drinking, but it isn't glorified and there are serious consequences. I personally think it's a great show, and I'm in it for the compelling mystery. Many parents on her are concerned that your children will learn bad messages and be influenced by bad role models- and if your child is still that impressionable, then it isn't appropriate. But, I think a mature 12 or 13 year old can handle Pretty Little Liars.