All member reviews for Pretty Little Liars

Tantalizing mystery plays up glamour, sexiness of teen life.

Adult Written byiliketea February 21, 2014

It's a naughty show that will require talking to your kids

I don't have kids. I'm 25 years old. I remember what it was like to be a teen though. It feels like yesterday. Of course high school was NOTHING like this show. People weren't getting murdered, having relationships with teachers (and our teachers weren't that young and cute), or driving their own 2014 model cars. But since when does any old lady live in a town like the one in Midsomer Murders? It's a drama; it's not supposed to be realistic. Which brings me to my main point. This show is excellent. The mystery is well-written and it will force viewers, young and old, to exercise a part of the brain that might not be used very often (problem solving, investigation, and asking questions). It will require parents to talk to their children about the issues in the show. Teens don't need to be reminded that it's make-believe -- they already know that. A good exercise for parents to practice with their children is to remind them that their children can talk to them about anything, any time (and not only mean it, but follow through with it). It would also be helpful for parents to ask their children or teens what they would do in the same situation, and to make sure their kids' answers are what they want their children or teens to be doing. Honestly, this show is awesome. I don't wear makeup, and I never really have. I think I'm on the same eyeliner I had since I was 19. I'm not so fashionable, and I'm a critical thinker that questions the system all the time. And the reason I am like this is because my single-mom allowed me to watch whatever I wanted, so long as she could talk to me about it. The only problem I have with this show is the level of consumerism (one of the girls is on the run, penniless, and still carries an expensive handbag and wears fresh lip gloss). Some of the messaging is good; for example, one of the characters develops an dependence on drugs to keep awake, and her friends stage and intervention because they know how harmful this is. I also think the messaging is good because the girls manage to balance doing the right thing with maintaining the knowledge that the friend they're saving wasn't really a good friend at all.
Parent Written byBrooklynMom1 January 1, 2016

Great mystery at first but insulting as it progresses

Despite telling my 11 year old she could not watch it, she went ahead because all her friends were watching it. So I had to watch it to see what it was about. If you can prevent under 14's to watch, do so. The amount of older guys with teenage girls is gross and even the young lesbian teen starts to get entangled with a married woman. The first episode has one character in a bar, hooking up with an older guy in the bathroom and the presumably driving to pick up her younger brother!!! The show presents these 20-something actresses as just that but they are supposed to be 16! That was the worst of it--the sex part with the age appropriate boys is ok if your child is ready for that. The mystery starts out great but progresses into a bad TV soap opera where all the parents are blind or no morals. The girls are in very grown-up relationships but too stupid to shut their blinds!
Parent Written byChristi4556 April 11, 2015

Best show for Tweens!!

I know the title "Pretty Little Liars" might sound inappropriate, but it's actually not. Don't get me wrong, I'm a loyal Christian at my church and try to raise my 11 year old daughter with morals, but the show teaches kids about choices and consequences, and being who you are. It teaches that when you make bad choices, for instance when you lie and you steal, you get consequences. Also, it shows you that you can be who you are, Emily in the show is gay, and handles it very well and it shows that it's okay to be who you are. I have to admit, there are a lot of kissing scenes but they are never more then 10 seconds, I just have my daughter cover her eyes. But the plot of the story makes up for all of the "inappropriate" parts of the show. It is very suspenseful and I find myself loving the show. Overall I think Pretty Little Liars is a good and suspenseful for Tweens 11 and up, but I do suggest parental guidance.
Adult Written byjcq October 12, 2013

Television for an intellectually-inclined child

Undoubtedly, your child has already been exposed to all the themes in this show, especially in the 21st century (though this did not happen as frequently in the 20th century). I would say to watch the show with your child because it is a mystery which makes it so addictive, and through that, you can truly engage your child in taking a critical approach, delving deeper into the questions the storyline poses, solving the issues and inconsistencies. Furthermore, issues of morality ("What is moral? What is not?") are raised. The show does not answer these questions but there is a subtle suggestion of answering them for yourself. The four main characters are faced with this question in nearly every episode. I say this particularly in relation the deceased character, Alison, who represents the good and bad that simultaneously exists within every person. There are also several literary and cinematic references throughout the entirety of the series, ranging from Hitchcock films to famous pieces of literature that your teenager will likely read in school, i.e., To Kill a Mockingbird, The Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby, Hamlet, and many more. What a great way to use pop culture to influence your child academically! On that note, I'd say that this show is appropriate for more intelligent, inquisitive teenagers that have more developed cognitive abilities. If your child is more of mindless absorber that is likely to jump off the bridge with the others, this show can likely have a negative influence on him or her. However, please remember television deprivation will not retroactively aid your child when he or she is in his or her late teens.
Parent Written byWiccaSteve April 6, 2013

People need to relax

After reading the above reviews I have this to say..People should really watch the show and pay attention to it. The show is called Pretty Little LIARS! So yes they lie. Alot. To each other. To teachers and to their parents. The one girl does not sleep with her sisters older boyfriends but has kissed them. The student teacher relationship is not what you may think. They met at a pub having lunch before school had started and although they fight and make up they love each other and are willing to fight to keep their relationship. They have also told Aria's parents about the relationship and although they were not happy and tried to keep them apart they realized that the two of them might really be meant to be together. As for the lesbian relationship Emily started out the show dating a boy. She soon came to understand her feelings and why she never really loved him. Her coming out to her friends and family was one of the great pieces of TV. Yes the show is at times racy and dark there is nothing on it that the kids don't learn about in school or the bus to school.
Parent Written byganser February 2, 2013

Not a family show.

This show is rather disturbing. Too many lies, drinking, lies, sexual content, lies,......... Not for even young teens to watch. My teenage granddaughter loves the mystery of the show but I really don't think it's really an appropriate show for young people.
Kid, 11 years old August 17, 2010
I love this show! It's really about being yourselve. I like the story line, two!
Kid, 10 years old August 3, 2010

e.g. Perfect for older kids

i like this show even if im to young to watch it. my friends watched it and they thought their mind was going to explode!!!! with all the drama and stuff. but when i watch it, it make since to me. my friends think that is crazy that i get it and they don't and their older then me by a year or a couple of months!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybabayaga September 3, 2016
Although most of the messages the show sends are, well, not that good, there are a few positive ones that really stand out. The emphasis on not keeping secrets and being careful who you reveal personal information to is great, and I ESPECIALLY enjoyed the LGBT+ representation in the relationship between Em and Maya. However, parents should definitely know that there's a lot of sexual innuendo, sexual scenes, some drug use, and a few 'b*tches'. Nothing that a mature teen wouldn't be able to handle, but parents should definitely discuss some of the strong themes in the series (e.g. sex, lies, keeping secrets).
Educator and Parent Written bypatty277 February 18, 2015
Parent of an infant, 2, 5, and 10 year old Written byAG Fan Parent January 30, 2013

Amazing, scary and complex but very good!

Wow, this show is scary. It's all different kinds of scariness, too. Dark rooms (with the "haunty" kind of scary feeling) and death/violence, too. To top it all off, there's plenty of sex talk, pretty and popular girl glam (the main girls are NOT unpopular, one of them is even the "it-girl" in the first season and the first half of the second). However, I can't be mean about this show. My 10-year-old (I know I say 11-and-up, but she's hooked and I watch it with her) and I watched this show about every night and now constantly wait to watch more on ABC's website. This show is SO super addictive and you will not want to stop watching. But a word of warning: DO NOT WATCH THIS ALONE. It's all great and "not that scary" until the lights go out and your little one (and you) are frozen with fear. But if you just watch it with plenty of lights on and with somebody else, the fear decreased a lot. Some episodes are fairly harmless, with little fright, others contain quite a bit. The main plot of this show involves "A," their blackmailer, who is quite good at terrifying everyone. They get into the house, viodetape people and give them the tape (anonymously of course, with "A"), and make the girls do things for various reasons (to save someone's life, to keep info from being released, and even for money in the case of Hanna). These things are not always safe, right, or the least bit amusing. There are so many things dealt with in the show that it might be considered education (the girls do learn good things), or something you don't want your kids seeing. The various things presented are: Bullying, student-teacher relationships (HATE this one, the couple is so bad and is not brought at all, though it does promote a lot of good messages about love), eating disorders (Hanna used to be fat and suffered from bulimia), divorce (to the extent that Hanna used to be so upset she would binge and that's how she became fat), homosexuality (Emily is a lesbian, and this show is VERY good about showing it's not easy to come to terms with this and tell, but you should. LOVE this about the show especially), good lessons about love (I know this sounds odd, but there are quite a few), teen depression (Aria's brother experiences this to a major extent), good lessons about doing what's right (when Emily's girlfriend runs away and tells Emily where she goes, Emily has to decide whether to tell the parents or listen to her girlfriend), trust (the girls have great difficulty knowing who to trust with their secret, but eventually do tell a therapist), sticking together (except for a few, soon resolved fights, the girls are very tight-knit and stick together through everything), and quite a few more things I don't really feel like mentioning also! I wouldn't recommend this to anyone younger then middle school, but it's not evil or anything. It addresses issues that may be complex or uncomfortable for very little ones, but are very, very good for anyone, as long as you feel comfortable letting them see it and their old enough to understand. This is definitely scary, though, so careful on that note.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjm97 October 14, 2012

Pretty Little Liars

This is an amazing show! I watch every Tuesday and pine for it when it's on hiatus. There is some violence, but it is not over-the-top. The sexual content is kept to a minimum, and there is minimal language. There is some drinking, but that is only once in a while. There are a few provocative topics, such a teacher being involved with a student. He is no longer a teacher and truly loves her. They're relationship is very sweet with little sexual activity. Also there is a lesbian character. I would like to thank ABC Family for creating an amazing, normal gay character. She is one of the best role models. She is a great example that means just because you are gay doesn't mean you are different. I love this show and the mystery, romance, and comedy that comes with it. This should be fine for anyone 13 and up.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMysterious_ballerina January 19, 2012

Really?Really?

This show is horrible. First off there is so much dating, a girl dates her teacher and acts like it's ok, boy friend stealing, lying (lots of lying), it's just a bunch of high class snotty girls who are dealing with a horrible plot line. There is no point in watching it unless its one of the last tv shows on Earth.
Parent Written byJimena1506 January 7, 2012

pretty little liars

its the best serie watch it ;)
Teen, 14 years old Written byKids Representative May 28, 2011

Parents, stop over-reacting.

I understand why many parents have concerns with letting there children watch this show. It does have some scenes that are slightly inappropriate. But some of you parents are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If you think you shouldn't let your child watch this show, because they would behave like the characters do, or you just don't want your child to be exposed to this sort of behavior then fine. But you obviously need to give your child a good dose of reality. There are Bi-sexuals, and Lesbians in the world, and unless your planning to keep you're kids locked up in a box, then they will live around it too. So just because a show shows a lesbian in it doesn't mean you should change the channel. Also this show isn't just bad scene after bad scene. I am not blind, and I can see that there is bad behavior, well that exists in the world too. But all the lying all the characters do just puts them in a worse situation, and even a six year old could see that. As in don't lie. And i know that all you parents are refusing to see this show in any good light. But this show does make kids NOT want to lie. The sexuality in the show is the only thing I think should bring any concern from parents. But if your child is mature enough to handle it, then let them. The show is very popular, and its not because its stupid, kissing garbage. But the story line is very enticing. I think some parents need to give kids credit. We aren't all idiots who fallow everything we see like sheep. We have a brain, and some of us has learned to use them. And to be frank, some kids happen to be a LOT more mature then some adults. Although I bet hardly any of you parents have even bothered to read this, or any other teen reviews on why YOUR teens and kids are watching this show, but if you have, (and you got off your high and mighty horse) please don't be so strict. It isn't going to do you any favors. And that is why I think any mature teen should be aloud to watch this.
Adult Written byteenmom1 April 22, 2011

great show in general!

love the show. this show only had one type of sexual scene but it goes to commercial. they are very careful with the way they say things and i think kids would love the despense in the show. ali is deffinantly not a good role model considering shes a murderer!!! but the rest of the girls are. yeah you might see some drinking but that is exactly how teenagers are and i can honestly relate.
Teen, 14 years old Written byqueenofrandom01 August 3, 2010

for teens and tweens ONLY

i am 11 and i watch pretty little liars EVERY TUESDAY!!!!! its an addicting murder mystery sort of like CSI (which i also like) PRETTY LITTLE LIARS IS AWESOME! for ppls 11+
Teen, 16 years old Written byPretiLitleLiar December 1, 2012

PRETTY LITTLE LIARS - LIFE CHANGING TELEVISION SHOW

This is an amazing show. It does sometimes have topics you may want to monitor for your child but it is very special. Each character is extremely relatable. If you can't find yourself in one character you'll see yourself in another. It shows the coming out story of a Emily. It teaches everyone that it doesn't matter what other people think of you as long as you love yourself. This character's father is also in the military which is very difficult. You shouldn't be ashamed of who you are no matter what. Another main character, Hanna has suffered from an eating disorder after her dad abandoned her and her parents divorced. She was dealing with a lot and bullying. It shows the fear you have that everyone in your life is only temporary once you've been isolated in your time of need. But Hanna is a very strong character who remains happy through her obstacles. Her eating disorder shows many teens that it's okay to ask for help and that recovery is possible. In the end she realizes she is loved and is found by many people in her life. Aria is also one of the four main girls who has been relatable through her parents divorce. Her storyline shows that when you love someone you will fight to be with them no matter what the odds. The last main character is Spencer. She is very neglected at home. Her parents don't pay much attention to her and they make it seem as if she has to be perfect. Her mother kept her cancer a secret in season 1 because she was afraid as being looked upon as "imperfect" Spencer has ran away as a child. On top of all of these very important lessons it is an intriguing mystery that leaves you on the edge of your seat.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written bychild.councelling August 27, 2012

I watched it with her!

My child began watching this television show, so I decided to watch an episode with her to check if it was alright for her age level (13). It had a bit of kissing, parties, and things to educate young teens with the real world. At 13 your daughter becomes a teenager and needs to be trusted by their parents. It is important for their learning to know that their parents trust and respect them. My daughter, and most teens, can relate to this T.V show, and she believes that it helps her get through problems in life such as bullying and friendship troubles. I enjoyed the episode, and i believe that you have to trust your child with many things, although it is hard. After I said that she could watch it, we built a stronger relationship and she changed and built more respect for me as her mother. Her father and brother have also noticed a big improvement, so I say... let her watch it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypogishishipin August 26, 2012

Wonderful show -A

Got a secret, can you keep it? Swear this one you'll save! ~ Pretty Little Liars honestly, is my favorite show. I'm a thirteen year old boy. I find the student and teacher relationship is sweet to me. But just because a girl on a show is dating a teacher doesn't mean that your daughter will start cussing, doing drugs, become a prostitute, date your teacher, or get bullied. ~ Pretty Little Liars revolves around four girls. Their leader went missing for a year and died. Suddenly, the girls start receiving texts from a mysterious person, 'A'. The girls must find out what who is sending the texts, and what caused their friend to die. ~ Of course 'A' wouldn't send "Lovey Dovey" texts. 'A' is blackmailing the girls, calling them bitches and liars. 'A' wouldn't call them sweetheart, sweetie, or honey, would she/he? ("Hey hun, eat all those cupcakes sweetheart made for Sadly Overweight Hanna and then vomit them. Sorry about that") Blackmailing doesn't work that way. ~ What's up with people bickering about Emily and Maya, Emily and Paige, Emily and Alison, or any other lesbian couple. It's love. I watched Emily and Pagie make out for five seconds, and I didn't turn gay. ~ THE MAKE OUT SCENES ARE FIVE SECONDS. THE SEX SCENES DON'T SHOW THEIR PRIVATE BODY PARTS. ~ Pretty Little Liars is a very good show that I love watching. It's like a mystery and romance mixed together.