All member reviews for Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Outstanding anime is more violent than you'd expect.

Adult Written bynduns August 6, 2013

First, a quick warning to parents...

Do NOT be fooled by this show's outward appearance! Trust me, that look was meant to troll audiences into thinking it was a cute and innocent show when deep down underneath, this is one of the darkest and most brutal tragedies you will ever see! That said, though, it is a very well-written tragedy, a masterpiece if you will. It's very short but gets so much done and conveyed during that time. Heck, you have to wait a really long time for the main characters to get their powers, something you normally wouldn't expect from a magical girl anime. Anyway, if you're old enough, this one's highly recommended.
Teen, 15 years old Written byvioletflames November 13, 2012

Deconstruction of a classic anime genre

First off, I am surprised to see this on here haha! As a huge anime fan, I have sifted through many a harem show of a show that promises to be such a great, new thing, and seen many disappointments. I have to say that Madoka Magica is not one of them :) It is an extraordinary magical girl show, that fools you into thinking that it will be like all the rest, then hits you hard with what it really is! This is NOT for anyone under 13, as Studio SHAFT (The creators) have a very stylistic way of animating things (some scenes can be creepy to younger kids, especially the labyrinths) and they are not afraid to let characters die terrible deaths. I have heard that there is some language in the dub, but there is none in the sub. This show has positive messages, especially about standing up for yourself and protecting the ones you love. I thoroughly recommend this to any anime fan!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byVanillaSalt January 25, 2013

Puella Magi Madoka Magica!

Puella Magi Madoka Magica was the diamond in the rough for me when it came to anime. There are so many anime out there with great potential, yet it never seems to build itself up to what it could be. Puella Magi Madoka Magica is NOT this and was a breath of fresh air. The story follows Madoka Kaname, a naive and sweet girl who leads a seemingly normal life with a few close friends and a loving family. This all changes when she crosses paths with Kyubey, an extraterrestrial being that offers to grant her one wish in return for her service as a Puella Magi. While the show seems very innocent when you begin watching it, there is more than what meets the eye as it takes a sharp, dark turn several episodes in to the anime. However, the anime itself is thought provoking and makes for an excellent discussion topic as there is so much to think about and draw meanings from. The positive messages are strong with this anime, and the character's personalities are true to life and human. -Concerns- This anime tends to be violent in certain scenes (examples of this include a pity-kill that is silhouetted, two decapitations that are silhouetted/ off screen, and several deaths. There is not much blood or gore (only a few cuts and scrapes here or there, nothing that would be sickening to watch.) Language is not particularly strong (I watch the subtitled version) with just a few curse words dropped here and there, but there is one scene in the anime that drops a few insults towards females (However, the behavior of the people doing the insulting is looked down upon by a lead character, who is quick to correct their behavior.) (For those who have seen this anime already and are questioning what I mean by this, it is the train scene with Sayaka.) Alcohol is scene very briefly in the anime, but the characters that consume the alcohol are adults and are not portrayed as drunks. I really can't say bad things about this anime as it is just simply wonderful. This is one series that cannot be passed up; it's just that good!
Parent Written byojamajomary November 19, 2012

Magical Girl ver. of Watchmen, with Magical Heroine ver. of Optimus Prime

If you like Magical Girl, especially the Magical Heroine ones, that would be the classical story. However If you still under 13, you have to watch it later. Puella Magi's storytelling would like Watchmen: dark, cruel social problem background, with the humanity struggles (including the faith, in Kyoko's Christian case)... But less bloody violance and sexual stuff, and same with the ending of Faust, good ending with hope. It is let more teenager can reach the story, and rethink themselves. Kaname Madoka, from shy to brave changing, having strong power with kindness heart, and her legacy life, is it a tribute to Optimus Prime? Maybe.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHainesama123 July 5, 2013

Pretty Good

This is acutally pretty good for a magical girl anime(I love anime). I would recommend this for anyone 12 or older.
Teen, 17 years old Written byGiygas June 29, 2013

Magical Girls, with a twist

Teen, 13 years old Written byUxie Trixie Usa... January 16, 2013

Puella Magi Tenebrae Magica

I consider myself pretty mature, but given the violence and overall tone, I believe it might not be the best for children, but a teenager could handle it.
Adult Written byBlancaster December 14, 2012

A brilliant, and deceptive gem of a show.

This series gets far darker than people might think and there is some very bizarre and beautiful imagry, violence and mature themes. This is a harsh, dark, and uncompromising tragedy of a story. That being said, you should not stop your kids from watching this, as you would be depriving them of one of the best shows the anime medium has ever produced, the art, animation, chracters, tone, and story are all brilliant and complex and had me (an 18 year old male) completely engrosed very quickly.
Teen, 13 years old Written by4NeverEcho April 22, 2015

LOVED IT

I think it would be appropriate for whoever can handle violence and total tragedies. Sure, there is cussing- I watched subbed. My friend and I found this when we were 11 and watched it when we were 12. I didn't cry, but she did. It's sad for people who love anime and get connected to the characters, but it has positive messages. You should be thankful for who you are and what you have. I told my mom about it, and she was shocked when I told her about Hitomi mixing chlorine bleach with other chemicals. I guess if you can stand stuff like this, like me, then anyone can watch it 11 and above. It's only twelve episodes, but one of my favorite manga and anime series of all time!
Parent of a 10, 11, and 12 year old Written byVery Fancy Woman April 8, 2015

why do my kids watch anime?

I raised them to have sense and be fancy! Not to watch violent characters!
Parent of a 13, 15, and 16 year old Written byNervousParentOf3Boys April 4, 2015

it's okay,

I want my teens to grow up being the best. He loves this show and that's the good part.
Adult Written byscotierainwater March 24, 2015

NOT FOR CHILDREN

Great anime, for mature teenagers and adults. It's not for kids though. Too violent, too dark, a character gets her head bitten off.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySuper Fangirl November 13, 2014

Really is NOT as bad as some people are saying... But still for semi-mature audiences.

This show is NOT for young kids, I know that, especially seeing as the show is rated a 15, people should'nt be too surprised about that. I personally LOVED this show, so did my Mum, and also my Friend who watched it after I did. The show is about a 14 year old girl called Madoka and her Friend Sayaka who meet a creature called Kyubey who asks them to make a contract and become a magical girls in exchange for one wish. Sounds pretty straight forward, right? Just like sailor moon right? Wrong. The girls don't agree right away, they think long and hard about if they should do it or not and what their wishes would be, while the new girl Homura is trying to stop them from making the contract (She knows the truth). Sayaka eventually makes the contract to heal the boy she loves (I won't go over the whole thing now), they meet mami who is all friendly and really good at fighting witches but.... well..... She gets her head bitten of. It is NOT gruesome though, but if you are worried you may want to look this scene up on youtube (Its from episode 3). This is where the series takes a dark turn and introduces itself as a kind of weird and serious anime about friendship, descisions, morals, and saving the world. This series is somewhat psychological, and often questions the morals of the magical girls and motives of the Kyubey. It can get quite sad and emotional, with the girls often between a rock and a hard place. This show contains some swearing, but it doesn't go as far as to say the F word (Although in the english dub they begin the word but do not finish it in one scene. NOTE: This series has subtitles and a dub so you can choose) There is also action, blood and sad scenes. Well, I seem to have made this anime look realy bad... When in fact it is AMAZING! \(^o^)/ Like sad and interesting anime? This is the one for you! This anime is not really appropriate for anybody under 12, but it really depends on how mature said individual is. I would say it is a 13 plus as two out of 3 discs of this anime are 12s (the third is a 15), again, watch some clips if you are really not sure, they have clips of the witch fights on youtube, so have a look :) Thank you for reading this reveiw, I am sorry I listed a lot of the bad things, it's just that I wanted to make it clear that this is NOTHING like the other magical girl anime. Do not get angry with me for my opinions, as they are just my veiws.
Kid, 10 years old October 3, 2014

Awesome!

I love this anime! The first two episodes are obvious troll moves and then episode three just made it into beautiful, dark destruction. My favorite character from this would be Sayaka Miki!
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimeFan3000 September 10, 2014

I think the description is spot on / just a beautiful show

If a cute little furry creature came to you and asked "If there was something in this world that you wanted to wish for what would it be, I could make anything possible". Wow, it would be hard right? This show is beautiful in art and spirit but be warned the cuteness may just be a mask. I suggest daughters watch this with mothers or close girlfriends because it is a handful to take in. The story is fascinating and great but dark and conflicting. It was not hard for me to choose what I would wish for, all I will say is Homura Akemi. I really want to rate it 5 stars but it's kinda my policy to not do so because there will never be a movie or show to be given 5 stars, but that's just me.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFalse August 25, 2014

Not Your Typical Magical Girl Anime

When you start this anime you think your going to get sailor moon and thats what the first episode looks like and the episode after that but then you get attack on titan except more adorable. this is probably my favorite anime i have ever seen and it may be hard to watch past episode 3 but persivere and you will laugh and cry and love it so dont give up
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarky'sReviews June 19, 2014

It Won't Let You Look At The Magical Girl Genre The Same Way Again

I definitely didn't expect to see this show getting reviewed by CSM, mainly because it's rather unknown outside the anime universe. As much as it might seem like another of those cheesy fantasy girl shows that you see all of the time on channels like 4Kids. Deep down to the core, it really is a psychological thriller and a darn good one at that. With the constant twists and turns presented in beautiful and extremely inventive animation, it is definitely worth renting out 12 episodes. However, this isn't one I would recommend to your fairy loving 5 year old as it is quite violent and it can get pretty dark. This anime is also one of the rare cases in which the language is a lot milder in the original Japanese sub than what it is in the English version (just something that I would watch out for since most people not familiar with anime usually go for the dub.) This is a certainly a show that is worth checking out no matter how much you like magical girls or not, but it's one that's definitely meant to be left for teens, although it's worth trying out with older preteens as well, if they're mature enough. ON: 13+ IFFY: 10-12 OFF: 9 and under
Parent Written byKristina1234 June 3, 2014

Madoka Magica

This series has a character named Homura who is very mysterious and can give fear to kids at younger ages. The opening is very ' iffy ' because of the way the main character Madoka transforms into a Magic Girl. There are some disturbing scene like when a Magic Girl named Mami get's eaten by a witch and the noises that sounded in that scene can cause great fear towards most children. I recommend this show for tweens at the age of 12+. To watch the ' iffy ' opening go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VVEduVaOWo
Teen, 15 years old Written byleahcar May 19, 2014

Masterpiece anime

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a very deceiving anime; it looks like a cute magical girl anime for little kids. Trust me: only the artstyle is cute, and it's NOT for little kids. It is actually a very dark, complex show with complicated timelines and tells a lot of story despite being only 12 episodes long. There is a lot of violence and the witches may scare viewers, and there are deaths and despair (LOTS of despair). It is an emotional rollercoaster which gets you thinking deeply even when the episode has finished. I loved PMMM; it's very different from many other animes of the same genre (e.g. Sailor Moon and Pretty Cure) and I recommend it if you like emotional programmes full of action, tragedy and philosophical mindbenders. There are many positive, deep messages from the show: be careful what you wish for; be grateful with what you have, and suffering comes with life so don't avoid it but fight it. And also, don't trust Kyubey!
Teen, 13 years old Written byNear01 May 18, 2014

Best Magical Girl Anime Ever.

This anime starts off as a cutesy, sweet girly anime, but by episode 3 it cruelly turns the sweetness off. After the episode 3, it becomes more horror based. However, I watched this when I was 11, and I was totally fine, even though it had very brief moments of gore and death. All in all, you SHOULD watch this, it's going to be considered a classic from now on..