All member reviews for Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Teen, 15 years old Written byvioletflames November 13, 2012

Deconstruction of a classic anime genre

First off, I am surprised to see this on here haha! As a huge anime fan, I have sifted through many a harem show of a show that promises to be such a great, new thing, and seen many disappointments. I have to say that Madoka Magica is not one of them :) It is an extraordinary magical girl show, that fools you into thinking that it will be like all the rest, then hits you hard with what it really is! This is NOT for anyone under 13, as Studio SHAFT (The creators) have a very stylistic way of animating things (some scenes can be creepy to younger kids, especially the labyrinths) and they are not afraid to let characters die terrible deaths. I have heard that there is some language in the dub, but there is none in the sub. This show has positive messages, especially about standing up for yourself and protecting the ones you love. I thoroughly recommend this to any anime fan!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byVanillaSalt January 25, 2013

Puella Magi Madoka Magica!

Puella Magi Madoka Magica was the diamond in the rough for me when it came to anime. There are so many anime out there with great potential, yet it never seems to build itself up to what it could be. Puella Magi Madoka Magica is NOT this and was a breath of fresh air. The story follows Madoka Kaname, a naive and sweet girl who leads a seemingly normal life with a few close friends and a loving family. This all changes when she crosses paths with Kyubey, an extraterrestrial being that offers to grant her one wish in return for her service as a Puella Magi. While the show seems very innocent when you begin watching it, there is more than what meets the eye as it takes a sharp, dark turn several episodes in to the anime. However, the anime itself is thought provoking and makes for an excellent discussion topic as there is so much to think about and draw meanings from. The positive messages are strong with this anime, and the character's personalities are true to life and human. -Concerns- This anime tends to be violent in certain scenes (examples of this include a pity-kill that is silhouetted, two decapitations that are silhouetted/ off screen, and several deaths. There is not much blood or gore (only a few cuts and scrapes here or there, nothing that would be sickening to watch.) Language is not particularly strong (I watch the subtitled version) with just a few curse words dropped here and there, but there is one scene in the anime that drops a few insults towards females (However, the behavior of the people doing the insulting is looked down upon by a lead character, who is quick to correct their behavior.) (For those who have seen this anime already and are questioning what I mean by this, it is the train scene with Sayaka.) Alcohol is scene very briefly in the anime, but the characters that consume the alcohol are adults and are not portrayed as drunks. I really can't say bad things about this anime as it is just simply wonderful. This is one series that cannot be passed up; it's just that good!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarky'sReviews June 19, 2014

It Won't Let You Look At The Magical Girl Genre The Same Way Again

I definitely didn't expect to see this show getting reviewed by CSM, mainly because it's rather unknown outside the anime universe. As much as it might seem like another of those cheesy fantasy girl shows that you see all of the time on channels like 4Kids. Deep down to the core, it really is a psychological thriller and a darn good one at that. With the constant twists and turns presented in beautiful and extremely inventive animation, it is definitely worth renting out 12 episodes. However, this isn't one I would recommend to your fairy loving 5 year old as it is quite violent and it can get pretty dark. This anime is also one of the rare cases in which the language is a lot milder in the original Japanese sub than what it is in the English version (just something that I would watch out for since most people not familiar with anime usually go for the dub.) This is a certainly a show that is worth checking out no matter how much you like magical girls or not, but it's one that's definitely meant to be left for teens, although it's worth trying out with older preteens as well, if they're mature enough. ON: 13+ IFFY: 10-12 OFF: 9 and under
Teen, 14 years old Written byHainesama123 July 5, 2013

Pretty Good

This is acutally pretty good for a magical girl anime(I love anime). I would recommend this for anyone 12 or older.
Teen, 17 years old Written byGiygas June 29, 2013

Magical Girls, with a twist

Teen, 13 years old Written byUxie Trixie Usa... January 16, 2013

Puella Magi Tenebrae Magica

I consider myself pretty mature, but given the violence and overall tone, I believe it might not be the best for children, but a teenager could handle it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySuper Fangirl November 13, 2014

Really is NOT as bad as some people are saying... But still for semi-mature audiences.

This show is NOT for young kids, I know that, especially seeing as the show is rated a 15, people should'nt be too surprised about that. I personally LOVED this show, so did my Mum, and also my Friend who watched it after I did. The show is about a 14 year old girl called Madoka and her Friend Sayaka who meet a creature called Kyubey who asks them to make a contract and become a magical girls in exchange for one wish. Sounds pretty straight forward, right? Just like sailor moon right? Wrong. The girls don't agree right away, they think long and hard about if they should do it or not and what their wishes would be, while the new girl Homura is trying to stop them from making the contract (She knows the truth). Sayaka eventually makes the contract to heal the boy she loves (I won't go over the whole thing now), they meet mami who is all friendly and really good at fighting witches but.... well..... She gets her head bitten of. It is NOT gruesome though, but if you are worried you may want to look this scene up on youtube (Its from episode 3). This is where the series takes a dark turn and introduces itself as a kind of weird and serious anime about friendship, descisions, morals, and saving the world. This series is somewhat psychological, and often questions the morals of the magical girls and motives of the Kyubey. It can get quite sad and emotional, with the girls often between a rock and a hard place. This show contains some swearing, but it doesn't go as far as to say the F word (Although in the english dub they begin the word but do not finish it in one scene. NOTE: This series has subtitles and a dub so you can choose) There is also action, blood and sad scenes. Well, I seem to have made this anime look realy bad... When in fact it is AMAZING! \(^o^)/ Like sad and interesting anime? This is the one for you! This anime is not really appropriate for anybody under 12, but it really depends on how mature said individual is. I would say it is a 13 plus as two out of 3 discs of this anime are 12s (the third is a 15), again, watch some clips if you are really not sure, they have clips of the witch fights on youtube, so have a look :) Thank you for reading this reveiw, I am sorry I listed a lot of the bad things, it's just that I wanted to make it clear that this is NOTHING like the other magical girl anime. Do not get angry with me for my opinions, as they are just my veiws.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRikaTanaka May 25, 2015

Really great anime, very dark

Madoka Magica is a wonderful anime. It has a beautiful story line. I'd say it's almost like Sailor Moon - if it wasn't so depressing. The anime begins to be very cheery and depicts being a Magical Girl to be a fun job, but as the series progresses, it begins to show that it's actually very frightening and dangerous. The characters are almost always afraid, and if they become too depressed, they will turn into witches. Though it's very dark and depressing, it also shows you that no matter what happens, you have to keep moving on, no matter how hard life gets, and you must accept fate as it is.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheChocolateQueen May 3, 2015

Oh my glob!

At first it seem like a cute girly show whit the like ''girly violence'' If you know what I mean. But then there are the witches that are NOT cute and a bit scary. And as the story flows it gets more and more scary and dark . A bit like the movie: ''Coraline''. I had some fun watching it but I will not watch it again.
Teen, 13 years old Written by4NeverEcho April 22, 2015

LOVED IT

I think it would be appropriate for whoever can handle violence and total tragedies. Sure, there is cussing- I watched subbed. My friend and I found this when we were 11 and watched it when we were 12. I didn't cry, but she did. It's sad for people who love anime and get connected to the characters, but it has positive messages. You should be thankful for who you are and what you have. I told my mom about it, and she was shocked when I told her about Hitomi mixing chlorine bleach with other chemicals. I guess if you can stand stuff like this, like me, then anyone can watch it 11 and above. It's only twelve episodes, but one of my favorite manga and anime series of all time!
Kid, 10 years old October 3, 2014

Awesome!

I love this anime! The first two episodes are obvious troll moves and then episode three just made it into beautiful, dark destruction. My favorite character from this would be Sayaka Miki!
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimeFan3000 September 10, 2014

I think the description is spot on / just a beautiful show

If a cute little furry creature came to you and asked "If there was something in this world that you wanted to wish for what would it be, I could make anything possible". Wow, it would be hard right? This show is beautiful in art and spirit but be warned the cuteness may just be a mask. I suggest daughters watch this with mothers or close girlfriends because it is a handful to take in. The story is fascinating and great but dark and conflicting. It was not hard for me to choose what I would wish for, all I will say is Homura Akemi. I really want to rate it 5 stars but it's kinda my policy to not do so because there will never be a movie or show to be given 5 stars, but that's just me.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFalse August 25, 2014

Not Your Typical Magical Girl Anime

When you start this anime you think your going to get sailor moon and thats what the first episode looks like and the episode after that but then you get attack on titan except more adorable. this is probably my favorite anime i have ever seen and it may be hard to watch past episode 3 but persivere and you will laugh and cry and love it so dont give up
Teen, 15 years old Written byleahcar May 19, 2014

Masterpiece anime

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a very deceiving anime; it looks like a cute magical girl anime for little kids. Trust me: only the artstyle is cute, and it's NOT for little kids. It is actually a very dark, complex show with complicated timelines and tells a lot of story despite being only 12 episodes long. There is a lot of violence and the witches may scare viewers, and there are deaths and despair (LOTS of despair). It is an emotional rollercoaster which gets you thinking deeply even when the episode has finished. I loved PMMM; it's very different from many other animes of the same genre (e.g. Sailor Moon and Pretty Cure) and I recommend it if you like emotional programmes full of action, tragedy and philosophical mindbenders. There are many positive, deep messages from the show: be careful what you wish for; be grateful with what you have, and suffering comes with life so don't avoid it but fight it. And also, don't trust Kyubey!
Teen, 13 years old Written byNear01 May 18, 2014

Best Magical Girl Anime Ever.

This anime starts off as a cutesy, sweet girly anime, but by episode 3 it cruelly turns the sweetness off. After the episode 3, it becomes more horror based. However, I watched this when I was 11, and I was totally fine, even though it had very brief moments of gore and death. All in all, you SHOULD watch this, it's going to be considered a classic from now on..
Kid, 11 years old July 23, 2013

:) a really good anime!

This anime really good! I haven't watched ALL of it, but its interesting and cool. It says in the review "there's girls with short skirts" GIRLS IN SHORT SKIRTS?! Are you kidding me?! There's no underwear showing! Sailor moon has a short skirt too!! The series is great, anyways, but it takes a while for madoka to actually become a magical girl. It can make it a bit boring if you're waiting for that.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySweetDisposition July 14, 2013

Darker than your average magical girl storyline.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is an anime centered around five girls; Madoka, Sayaka, Mami, Homura, and Kyouko; who all are or become magical girls at points in the series. They became magical girls after forming a contract with an alien animal called Kyuubey. Kyuubey offered them a trade of sorts- the girls could wish for anything they wanted as long as they became magical girls and defeated enemies known as witches. The catch? Witches can kill magical girls. The story centers around Madoka, who is percieved by Kyuubey as having the capability to become the most powerful magical girl ever. However, Kyuubey has no idea why that's the case with Madoka. The series has many positive messages- standing up for what you believe in, realizing that for every good thing there also comes bad, and that doing what's right for someone else might not be the best thing for you. There is some violence with the girl's weapons- Homura fights with guns and bombs, Madoka with a bow, Sayaka with swords and knives, Mami with guns, and Kyouko with a spear. However, I don't think the violence was graphic enough to scare off a mature young teen. The part that might be scarring are the graphic deaths in the series, and the psychological effects these have on the girls. The series has a darker undertone, and it makes you think about many of the darker possibilities in life. Overall, the storyline is fantastic- as are the characters, animation, and music. Definitely worth a watch for anime fans!
Teen, 14 years old Written byFairyWars98 June 16, 2013

Show is OK, Movies are NOT for kids though

Even though I like the TV show, the Movies however are NOT for small kids six and under. My friend went to see Part 1 in the theater (a very rare thing in Canada, an anime movie in theaters) and saw tons of little kids that looked to be about 4 or 7 years. A couple minutes into the film there was a scene with some guns(?) or a very loud bang that startled a lot of kids. He said that most parents with young-looking kids left the theater within the first 15 minutes. But, if your not a young kid, then the movies and show should be fine! ^ ^
Teen, 13 years old Written bychibiakari April 4, 2013

Puella Magi "Madoka" Magica

The main character of our story is Madoka. Oh- scratch that. It seems as if it looks like it's centered around her, but really, it's about *SPOILER!* Homura's struggle to keep Madoka away from her horrible fate, which she has done about three or four times. *END SPOILER!* The positive message is to never give up, and keep on trying. As quoted by Homura, it's really: "Wherever you are, keep fighting. Someone is there for you." The positive role model is... Madoka. She's the "main character" archetype, played well. Homura's a pretty good one too, if it wasn't for stealing guns and weapons out of clubs. But, I digress... Of course there's violence! If you're kid is fine with this stuff, let it be. If you know they're going to be jumping around the house "collecting grief seeds", then... wait, I'm talking about teens here, aren't I? Oh well! :D There isn't any sex scenes in this show, except for the ending, in which Madoka and Homura share a "naked space hug." We also have Mami, but that's about it. The language is okay. It's basically the B-word and the A-word, done by Kyouko. Granted, she's older, so give her some slack. The english dub tried to spice things up, but the Japanese version the better to go for this kind of stuff. Madoka and the teacher go out to drink in one episode, but neither get tipsy. Lastly, if your kid's online looking at Puella pictures, make sure you turn the Safe Search on. Some of the artwork can be suggestive. tl;dr: Madoka is a great series, but there are some things you should know about, such as violence and cussing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFairyWars9 March 22, 2013

The Movies are NOT FOR TODDLERS!

OK first off, I am NOT reviewing the anime, I'm reviewing the movies (Part 1 and 2) and I didn't see the movie myself, my friend did. So all the stuff I am saying comes from him. Ok? Well here goes. My friend went to see Part 1 in theaters since it's rare for an Anime movie to appear in Canada in theaters. But when he went to sit in his seat, he was shocked to find that little kids and toddlers were watching the movie (and this is a PG movie with guns, swords, some cussing, but crap isn't a cuss to me) and a couple minutes into the film, there is a scene with a big boom or explosion that freaked the entire audience of toddlers out. He even saw tons of people come in and out with their kids. So parents, here is my message to you...PG IS NOT THE SAME AS G!!! I saw the EXACT same thing went I went to see the first SpongeBob movie in theaters in 2004 or so (I was 6 then) the movie was PG, yet there was tons of toddlers that got scared by Dennis. I don't have any complaints about the movie itself, though. It's pretty cute!