All member reviews for Reign

Racy royal drama is guilty pleasure for mature viewers.

Teen, 17 years old Written bylotrlove October 19, 2013

Inaccurate, over-sexualized, and frankly just corny

I'm a teenage boy okay, so mushy period dramas are not my thing, but I gave Reign a try for one reason: Anna Popplewell. Yes the actress of the Narnia movies is like the love of my life, so I watched it for her. Looking back that probably wasn't a good idea. Parents should know that this show is built on sex. Francis is sleeping around with some mystery woman who we see start to undress. The girls watch a marriage consummation with freakish interest that leads one to masturbation and an eventual sexual encounter with a married man. Also, Mary is nearly raped in an attempt to ruin her engagement. That aside I could go on about the violence, brief language, and horrible historical inaccuracies, but why bother. The show is just plain inappropriate. It teaches that casual sex is okay and that betrayal is necessary. Anna should've stayed in Narnia
Teen, 13 years old Written byNatRosy November 11, 2013

Good, but inaccurate

I think this show is very entertaining. It is not very close to the actual story of Mary Queen of Scots but it is an interesting take on it. There are it's flaws though. For one thing, there is a lot of infidelity and sex, probably more than there should be. Also this show is very historically inaccurate. There are a lot of simple time period flaws in the show that take away from the educational value of the story of Mary Queen of Scots.
Parent of a 3 and 10 year old Written bySteffauri516 November 13, 2013

Rather Disappointing; rife with inaccuracy

...The title of the review about sums it up. Reign is a show that [very, very, very ,very, VERY] loosely chronicles the teenage years of Mary Queen of Scots with a supernatural twist. There is quite a lot of sex and sex appeal present in the show; nothing extremely lewd or graphically shown in nature, but frankly, it’s not the sex, violence or language that concerns me the most. And I’m sure that for those who have watched the show already, you know exactly where I’m going with this... Now when I first saw previews of this show prior to its release, I was excited. I love history. And I find royal history particularly intriguing, being an illustrator and designer. Historical clothing is one of my niches; and I've studied it in-depth for years. And after watching the first few episodes of Reign, all I have to say is wow, was this costume designer sketching up concepts for the show while thumbing through a Vogue magazine?! Obviously, every form of media, the producer of the content, be it literary, via TV, film, etc. that dapples in historical fiction, or even the retelling of true historical events has a lot on their plate, and a lot expected of them as far as accurately portraying the clothing, events, accents, dialects, architecture, etc. of the period. And I must say, Reign falls painfully short. As I said, all media forms are subject to taking creative liberties; we've seen inaccuracy in plenty of historical films and dramas; The Tudors, The Other Boleyn Girl, Borgia, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, Marie Antoinette and more. But what sets these productions apart from Reign, is that you can tell that the producers have done SOME research as far as basic construction and layout of historical clothing, and for the most part, the creative liberties taken are rather slight in comparison to the purely modern clothing used in Reign. But then there's Reign: or what I like to call, "Ye Olde Beverly Hills." Young ladies of court walking around in sleeveless, shoulderless, low-cut dresses, strapped high heels, mini cardigans and long sleeved tee shirts over skirts? I'm sorry, what? The closest they come to devling into the 16th century is a Victorian corset that one woman is seen wearing while undressing. [And even THAT’S a pretty big stretch!] Probably what bothers me the most about Reign is that it has taken a wonderful opportunity to get younger audiences [the series is aimed at teens] engaged in and enthused about mostly ACCURATE history, and totally misses the mark. If you ever visit their Facebook page and read some of the comments by fans, young and old, a lot of them agree, there are major inaccuracies, but there are even more who adore the show for what it is, and some, that don't believe the outfit choices are incorrect! The shortest, and yet most fitting comment I found to describe this series is: “Gossip Girl in corsets.” I think that Reign feels too inconsistent and all over the place as far as their clothing choices are concerned. In the promo image they used before the series’ release, the trio of main characters is shown wearing clothing that looked more like storybook royalty, as opposed to true historical royals, but, it was MILES ahead of what was to come. Now, this more storybook feel of the court’s clothing continued for part of the first few episodes, and then randomly, we get girls running around looking like they’re gearing up for their high school prom! It’s as if the creators just arbitrarily insert whatever they feel like, whenever they feel like, as opposed to easing us into new concepts / their ideas, and it doesn’t work. The most painful part of this though, is that Reign has a decent story. For a stickler like me though, I just can’t see that far past the inaccuracies to thuroughly enjoy the show. For those of you who don’t care about those details though, Reign is a fairly decent show; I’d rate it on for teens 14 to 15 and older. As I said, there is some sex, language and violence, but of course, since it airs unabridged on TV, there isn’t anything extremely graphic in nature.
Parent Written bycmaine December 8, 2013

A Great Show for mature viewers

This show is a great, and entertaining drama for older children to watch. My 15 year old is obsessed with the show, and my 13 year old is allowed to watch as well. I keep my 9 year old away from it as it does have a few mildly violent scenes and one or two sex scenes. Also, kids that young won't appreciate the show. Kids won't have interest in the show if they aren't at the right maturity level. Its a great show and my daughter loves it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheNymphettes February 8, 2015

Fine for 14

I heard a lot of comments saying it was really racy on-line and I tend to avoid that even though i'm not opposed to it, but then a friend recommended it and said nothing really happened They allude to sex often but hardly any characters actually have it, considering the time period, the most sex i've seen of the first season so far was all in the first episode where they use shadows and sounds to show characters having sex which was quite racy, but after that there's not really any sex, most of the characters have been abstaining for marriage. Very little blood and gore as well but there are some sword fights
Adult Written byGinaS 1 January 7, 2015

Reign

I think that reign is truly an amazing show, it is quite educational in many ways if one wants to learn about the ideas of people in the Middle Ages. There are a few very blunt references towards sex but they play no main role in the show. Over all it is an absolute must watch
Parent of a 9, 11, and 11 year old Written bykrystalh January 6, 2015

ENOUGH WITH YOUR POSTS ABOUT IT NOT BEING HISTORICALLY ACCURATE!!!!!

First off to every one else... the show never said that it would be historically accurate EVER! I'm annoyed to read everyone saying that its a bad show because it's not accurate, well guess what, no one who had anything to do with the production of this show EVER said it would be. The show is great, I really enjoy it. While I'm 23 and the stepmother of two twin boys who are 11 and a girl who is 9, I would never let them watch it only because of the amount of sexual advances and actual sex in the show. Unlike most people who have written reviews, I have watched the ENTIRE first season and have to say that this show is extremely creative and has so many twists and different plots, definitely worth watching.
Teen, 17 years old Written byag1093 December 5, 2014

Inappropriate and pointless

I saw this show on Netflix and decided to give it a try. I love the time period and love stories with complicated situations that the time period expressed in reality, such as arranged marriages only to determine whose allies with which country with the fascination to see if they found love in the end. What about this show wouldn't I like??? So I gave it a try. Violence doesn't bother me so I knew that that would not be an issue. As I started watching everything was sexualized. Within just the first episode, which is all I watched and plan on watching, you find out that the man Mary is engaged to marry is sleeping with another girl, who you see reveals her shoulder to him in his bed quarters. This was suggestive but not relatively awful. I mean it was only a shoulder. Also Mary and the ladies in waiting attend a wedding where they sneak after into the viewing of the bedroom quarters of the bride and groom. You watch as the couple begins to moan and ultimately has sex. The girls run off and separate which leads one girl into a secret place every she starts to masturbate. She is stopped in the middle by a married man, who had already had mistresses down in public with him, who proceeds to do the favor for her. Also a man sneaks into Mary's bed with her and tries to rape her to consider herself unclean for Mary to marry the Prince. I think could have been a terrific show without all the sex. Everything about it interested me until I watched it. Honestly,I think that teens should not be watching this.
Parent Written bycallier1 October 9, 2014

Adult Written bygeckoechoechoecho October 3, 2014

Terribad

Not worth the time.
Written byAnonymous September 14, 2014

great

Amazing. Best programme but has some bloody-violence. Wouldnt recommend to anyone under 13.
Teen, 16 years old Written byNaids Bowen May 12, 2014

Its good, but...

I've only recently started watching Reign, and, in my opinion, I find it an enjoyable show, (despite being historically inaccurate). I admit I'd prefer it if it had fewer sex scenes (they seem to over-do it quite a bit and I don't recommend it for younger viewers). The politics are intriguing, but everything in the end comes back down to a girl's virtue, who slept with who, the king's mistress, the battle between Francis and Sebastian (the kings two sons) and their fight for Mary, Queen of Scots. Loyalty is slack, honour is rare, and violence is graphic and often unnecessary. I admit, though, the show is oddly addictive. Many compare it to Vampire Diaries. I find them about the same, all in all. I recommend it for at LEAST 15 and up. 16, if you want to play it safe.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKelly-Noelle March 12, 2014

Not historically accurate, but addictive!

This show may not be historically accurate, but it's a great show. I am 13 and love this show. I think that tweens and teens who are mature enough will also really enjoy it. The show has little swearing but it does have some sex scenes. Nothing to bad but a little racy, also violence is on the show. At times you do see blood . It also has some drinking.