All member reviews for Reign

Teen, 17 years old Written bylotrlove October 19, 2013

Inaccurate, over-sexualized, and frankly just corny

I'm a teenage boy okay, so mushy period dramas are not my thing, but I gave Reign a try for one reason: Anna Popplewell. Yes the actress of the Narnia movies is like the love of my life, so I watched it for her. Looking back that probably wasn't a good idea. Parents should know that this show is built on sex. Francis is sleeping around with some mystery woman who we see start to undress. The girls watch a marriage consummation with freakish interest that leads one to masturbation and an eventual sexual encounter with a married man. Also, Mary is nearly raped in an attempt to ruin her engagement. That aside I could go on about the violence, brief language, and horrible historical inaccuracies, but why bother. The show is just plain inappropriate. It teaches that casual sex is okay and that betrayal is necessary. Anna should've stayed in Narnia
Teen, 13 years old Written byNatRosy November 11, 2013

Good, but inaccurate

I think this show is very entertaining. It is not very close to the actual story of Mary Queen of Scots but it is an interesting take on it. There are it's flaws though. For one thing, there is a lot of infidelity and sex, probably more than there should be. Also this show is very historically inaccurate. There are a lot of simple time period flaws in the show that take away from the educational value of the story of Mary Queen of Scots.
Teen, 16 years old Written byNaids Bowen May 12, 2014

Its good, but...

I've only recently started watching Reign, and, in my opinion, I find it an enjoyable show, (despite being historically inaccurate). I admit I'd prefer it if it had fewer sex scenes (they seem to over-do it quite a bit and I don't recommend it for younger viewers). The politics are intriguing, but everything in the end comes back down to a girl's virtue, who slept with who, the king's mistress, the battle between Francis and Sebastian (the kings two sons) and their fight for Mary, Queen of Scots. Loyalty is slack, honour is rare, and violence is graphic and often unnecessary. I admit, though, the show is oddly addictive. Many compare it to Vampire Diaries. I find them about the same, all in all. I recommend it for at LEAST 15 and up. 16, if you want to play it safe.
Teen, 17 years old Written byag1093 December 5, 2014

Inappropriate and pointless

I saw this show on Netflix and decided to give it a try. I love the time period and love stories with complicated situations that the time period expressed in reality, such as arranged marriages only to determine whose allies with which country with the fascination to see if they found love in the end. What about this show wouldn't I like??? So I gave it a try. Violence doesn't bother me so I knew that that would not be an issue. As I started watching everything was sexualized. Within just the first episode, which is all I watched and plan on watching, you find out that the man Mary is engaged to marry is sleeping with another girl, who you see reveals her shoulder to him in his bed quarters. This was suggestive but not relatively awful. I mean it was only a shoulder. Also Mary and the ladies in waiting attend a wedding where they sneak after into the viewing of the bedroom quarters of the bride and groom. You watch as the couple begins to moan and ultimately has sex. The girls run off and separate which leads one girl into a secret place every she starts to masturbate. She is stopped in the middle by a married man, who had already had mistresses down in public with him, who proceeds to do the favor for her. Also a man sneaks into Mary's bed with her and tries to rape her to consider herself unclean for Mary to marry the Prince. I think could have been a terrific show without all the sex. Everything about it interested me until I watched it. Honestly,I think that teens should not be watching this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKelly-Noelle March 12, 2014

Not historically accurate, but addictive!

This show may not be historically accurate, but it's a great show. I am 13 and love this show. I think that tweens and teens who are mature enough will also really enjoy it. The show has little swearing but it does have some sex scenes. Nothing to bad but a little racy, also violence is on the show. At times you do see blood . It also has some drinking.
Teen, 13 years old Written by12leah345 July 23, 2015

A good guilty pleasure for teenagers

This show isnt historically accurate but is a captivating show. Reign shows that it is tough being a royal and there are many hard decisions. There are a sexual scenes most not to provocative, but a couple contains content along the lines of BDSM. There is also a scene that gets close to rape but doesn't go that far. There is violence that contains blood but nothing too graphic. There are no drugs. They do drink wine at almost every meal and in one occasion someone gets a little tipsy but doesn't result in anything serious. There is no bad language. Overall its a great show for teenagers that shows what it was like back then to be royalty.
Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2015

A teen-friendly version of Game of Thrones

This show is by far one of the best shows I've ever seen! It's full of political intrigue, with plot twists at every turn and lives are constantly at risk, and you can never tell what will happen next! The old-timey royalty reminded me a bit of HBO's Game of Thrones, but without half the sex, language, and violence. Mary Stuart (a.ka. "Bloody" Mary) is not portrayed as "bloody" at all, but as an inspiring female lead who must do what is right for her country while trying to follow her heart. I say this show is appropriate for everyone ages 12 and up, because I am 12, and I could not have asked for a better fit!
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheNymphettes February 8, 2015

Fine for 14

I heard a lot of comments saying it was really racy on-line and I tend to avoid that even though i'm not opposed to it, but then a friend recommended it and said nothing really happened They allude to sex often but hardly any characters actually have it, considering the time period, the most sex i've seen of the first season so far was all in the first episode where they use shadows and sounds to show characters having sex which was quite racy, but after that there's not really any sex, most of the characters have been abstaining for marriage. Very little blood and gore as well but there are some sword fights