All member reviews for Sam & Cat

Mediocre spin-off recycles characters, needs reality check.

Teen, 17 years old Written byTeensOpinion17 June 10, 2013

I watched and got bored within the first 12-15 minutes.

I just watched some of Sam & Cat online just now and I got bored within the first fifteen minutes. I sat there with a straight face throughout..Nothing in the show made me laugh but if I were to watch Victorious or iCarly it would be different.
Parent Written byanthony90210 June 9, 2013

Parents Should Know to Watch a Dan Schneider Show Just to Be Safe.

Lets face it, most of the people who will comment are fans of the show, but in my view, I'm still on and off on this show, there are a lot of inappropriate events that happen, especially when Sam puts a Baby in Bushes (which could be allergic) and the part when the Grandmother puts Sam and Cat inside a sofa bed (which could suffocate someone) and also the part when they were helping revive a man by jumping and sitting on the man. I wouldn't say that the show is funny at least not as funny as icarly or victorious, but parents should know already, if it is a Dan Schneider show, YOU BETTER WATCH IT YOURSELF JUST IN CASE.
Parent Written byMrCrocodile June 9, 2013

Moving Past the Fame Concept

Sam & Cat starts off really well! It begins with Sam (I assume after high school since the series finale of iCarly actually takes place most likely in May or June and Carly was revealed to be too old for a father-daughter dance by the next year, which is usually 18) who is driving across the country on her motorcycle, with no where else to be now that Carly's gone. Once she meets Cat and they have to take over the responsibility of babysitting kids that was previously done by Cat's grandmother, she finds a reason to settle somewhere. Note that this is a show created by Dan Schneider, so quit looking for fictional role models! If you understand his humor or why he adds in things if you read the fun facts for some of his shows on his blogs, you'll be able to understand and hopefully enjoy this show. Take the show like this: we all know Sam isn't that good with kids as she never really got along with them, and although Cat is just about Sam's age, she's still like a little kid herself. I feel that can make their time with kids so crazy and part of why the show will be fun. To top it all off, as you see in the first episode, the kids give Cat's Nona a hard time and by the end of the episode, the kids and Sam and Cat are able to have a overall good day with each other that pleases their parents. Sam living with Cat and taking care of little kids can bring out a softer side of her which I think is evident in the first episode - but more on that in a bit. Cat could have more of a tougher skin living with Sam as she probably would if it were Jade from Victorious. It was nice to see that good side of Sam almost after the show starts. Saving Cat and giving Cat all the money they earned from babysitting at the end of the day. Cat, being already sweet, whether or not you've been irritated by her voice, sleeping with Sam on the couch for the night was also a good scene as we are told what made Sam not stay in Seattle anymore. With their connection already in check, I can tell we can see more of that as time goes on which is what makes the show good: Sam & Cat's connection. It's sweet in its own way the way Sam & Carly were in iCarly. What else makes the show good are the other main characters, Dice and Nona, played by Cameron Ocasio and Maree Cheatham. Especially Nona, who already fits in as the sweet grandmother of Cat's we heard about in Victorious. There's going to be a ton of crazy stories during this show's run and I'm prepared for it. For me, this show will either show in a funny way, why you should or shouldn't leave your kids with Sam & Cat. Still, it's best to look at the show in this perspective, of all the things that's been mentioned and enjoy the show. It had a good opening, one of the best pilots I've seen for a show from Schneider's Bakery and it was funny and sweet (the least I can say without already going deep into the show).
Parent Written byLandD's Mom August 15, 2013

not very sensitive...

The episode where an adult character has a transracial adoptive mom is insulting and ill-written. "I should have saved the receipt." is one of the more offensive quotes. My children are transracial adoptees and asked me to turn the channel because they now think the show is "stupid". I should note that we have not watched any of the previous shows that this is spun-off due to their ages (6 & 8)
Adult Written byTinyToya July 11, 2013

Cat's voice drives me up a wall...

Okay, this show overall is a huge disappointment. Sam (Jennette McCurdy) can pull her own weight as a main character but Cat (Ariana Grande) really can't. Cat's ignorance and childlike behavior needs to be grounded by more responsible characters which Sam certainly isn't (Sam needed Carly and Cat needed Tori, Beck, and others to be steered in the right direction). The show also desperately needs adults, structure, and a better message (ignorance + an I-don't-care-attitude = fun?). Oh and just for the record, the voice Ariana has to do for her character Cat is just INTOLERABLE.
Parent Written byRoseLilly March 8, 2014

Inappropriate humor for Kids!

Am I the only one that finds this show a bit offensive??Although the show may give you a laugh or two, I find it very meaningless and inappropriate for any kid, but especially younger children. I am a mother of two (daughter 4 and son is 1). The show comes on Nickelodeon which my kids sometimes watch. When the cartoons go off, Sam and Cat comes on and my children for some reason take much interest in it, especially my son who is only 1! He loves it...It seems as if that's his favorite show right now!(weird, I know) So for that reason we decided to tune in and see what it is that he likes about this show. I will have to see it is sort of entertaining and silly. Cat's voice at first is very disturbing and annoying. Then after awhile you get used to it. My problem is that there are so many little things I pick up on when I watch it that are not right. It seems like they make a mock of retarded people very often. Cat is always acting very dumb. Sam is Always mean and rude. They have a grown man who acts retarded ( hate to sound harsh). Nothing against people with disabilities, but when you use them just for laughs what message are you sending? I guess this show is not meant to be a role model type but I wish they would show it on teen nick so that small children wouldn't watch it. I assume maybe I'll have to stick with sprout and other channels because nickelodeon is definitely on the borderline for kids. Also I know some people are into the whole symbolic thing and I would have to say there are definitely a few symbols, numbers, and such, that are VERY questionable, but I won't go into that. Also one episode at the very end there were like three young boys and an old man and they were all in Girls dresses?? Um Yea...I really didn't like my son seeing that. Another thing there are no parents. I think both girls are beautiful and it may be ok for teens, but overall it's just bad taste and does not send a positive message and many times offensive.
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written bykaloren July 22, 2013

Ditzy red head and mean girl friend

So far from what I have seen this is a tween show that makes girls look mean and dumb. My tween thinks its funny, but I am not so sure I will keep letting her watch it. I need to watch another episode before I make a full judgement, but definitely not for younger kids in my book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAleluvsyou June 8, 2013

Best show ever

I seen it on nick Canada tonight it was the best new nick show ever it's really funny and the plot line is really good and I'm a huge fan of Ariana gran she's like so funny I can't wait for the second episode :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byPoppicovergirl August 9, 2013

okay, but kind of weird

okay so i liked victorious and icarly, but im not really getting this show because if sam is so annoyed by cat then how could she stand living with her and to be honest i would say this show should be PG because they say stuff that i dont think little kids should hear. Jus givin my opinion c:
Kid, 11 years old February 22, 2014

This is CRAP

NOT a good role model! Sam is just teaching kids how to be a bully. Whenever this show comes on, I groan. Its not funny, and Cat's voice is obnoxious! Its stupid, don't let your kids watch it!
Educator Written byBigchris June 6, 2013

Looks like a kid version. Of the two broke girls

Ok here we go I haven't seen this show yet but I plan too but I have seen alot of ads and I am a 23 year old man with a 9year old sis however I do not think Sam is a very good role model she has already left cat alone to do all the work even in the previews ps I love cat mabey talk to ur girls or boys about being more of a cat then a Sam ps yea This does remind me of cbs s two broke girls hopefully alot cleaner though lol
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmashingepicness767 July 13, 2013

Best show ever

Awesome show! Love it, love it, love it!! Way better than iCarly and Victorious!! But I still love them! Sam and Cat, they're roommates and they run a babysitting job together. Two British stars, who normally appear on Ellen, Sophia Grace and Rosie, also appear as Gwen and Ruby in #thebritbrats. I have to say it's clean and funny so 6 year olds can now watch it.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 10, 2014

So glad it ended

Victorious and iCarly were both solid shows. This show, however, is a big step down. There's not much realism and worse, the show has questionable content. This show seemed at first like it would have potential, but the show only kept getting worse and worse every new episode. Luckily, it got cancelled due to problems on set. Final score: 1/10 ("awful")
Adult Written bycommonsensegal September 25, 2013

Ariana Grande or Jennette McCurdy can be my wife!

Kid, 12 years old August 25, 2013

Funny; despite recycled characters it gives a fresh viewpoint

For once this is a show that isn't advertising a website of any kind. I find it neat that this show features a thing where various fans' faces can appear on, the bottom of a prop mug that Sam (Jennette McCurdy) "drinks" out of. Though these are reused characters, they are both good ones and I always find that opposite-personality relationships are hilarious. I miss iCarly so much, and Victorious was pretty cool too, so the fact that both shows had cameos in Sam & Cat (iCarly: Freddie is mentioned, Victorious: Sikowitz's classroom is in a scene from #MommaGoomer). I love shows that have themed episode names: like for iCarly, everything had the "i" before it such as iPilot or iNevel, and this show does the same thing, having a hashtag before episode titles. Overall I find this show pretty funny, and it reminds me of good old iCarly. Hopefully Miranda Cosgrove will appear soon, even if her character Carly is in Italy.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bydramaqueen@hotm... August 9, 2013

i Carly is much better!

im more of an i Carly fan but some shows have to end and new ones have to be on tv so this show eh it's okay but not as good as i Carly.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMinedude78910 July 26, 2013

Funny show with odd couple dynamic has some good role models and positive messages, but no consumerism, and better than shows like Hannah Montana, because it isn't centered around music.

What families really need to know is that the show teaches that you can accomplish as much as you feel like doing. Sam and Cat seem to be around 16, yet they live alone and babysit kids. While Sam is not a great role model, Cat is fun and happy. I don't agree with the violence. There isn't much, but the reports about "consumerism" are so stupid. Ignore that. The brands in the show are mostly fake. Sam and Cat appeals to a younger audience then iCarly or Victorious, and is OFF for 3 and younger, but PAUSE for 4. It is better than shows like Hannah Montana, as it isn't centered around terrible music or musical "talent".
Teen, 15 years old Written byJames_ June 15, 2013

This is what a kid show should be.

It is about two girls, Sam and Cat, who end up as room mates and use babysitting as their source of income. This show is what a kid show should be. It's kid friendly and it uses the most popular characters from iCarly and Victorious so it's bound to be a successful series.
Kid, 8 years old June 9, 2013

Missing parental guidance

Hilarious but far-fetched.
Parent of a 1, 9, and 11 year old Written byamymomof3girls October 24, 2014

Kids Love It!

We were so sad when iCarly ended. There are still reruns, but no more new episodes? Then Victorious ended, another one of our favorite shows. But then came Sam & Cat. The kids were elated, and so sad when this show ended early because of a minor scandal. Despite the little scandal, it is a really good show that keeps us laughing and it is nice and clean!