All parent member reviews for Sesame Street

Parent of a 2 year old Written bydroleo November 8, 2010

The Street Has Changed

What happened to this show? We rented some of the older episodes from the 1970s to watch with our 2-year-old. They were sweet, peaceful, funny and educational. So we thought we'd tune into the new ones and...wow, things have changed. The show is a lot more hyperactive and abrasive. There's a lot less focus on teaching letters and numbers, and a lot on teaching science and conservation, which seemed a bit beyond the show's younger demographic. Tons of celebrity cameos. Yesterdays bits with Ray Charles and classical musicians and jazz legends has given way to the kind of processed pop music you find all over the radio. I thought Sesame Street was supposed to be an alternative to mainstream commercial children's entertainment, but it seems like nowadays it just wants in the game.
Parent of a 2, 10, 14, and 17 year old Written bySystemOfANintendo December 21, 2010

A wonderful, clever show that not just little kids will love.

Me and my kids all grew up with Sesame Street. When I retire, I hope Sesame Street's still on, so I can watch it daily. It's not just for little kids either. There are plenty of funny jokes for adults. A must-see for any toddler who gets PBS.
Parent Written bySesame Street Review May 31, 2011

Elmo's world skit a disappointment

I have watched multiple episodes of recent episodes of Sesame Street with my 3 year old and 1 year old. I grew up watching this television show and only have fond memories of it. One skit in particular really bothers me about the show, enough so that I will not let my kids watch the show because of it. It's the skit feature, Mr. Noodle, or "Nuno" on Elmo's world. The adults are portrayed as complete idiots who can't understand simple instructions. It is not funny as it is intended to be, it's insulting and teaches kids to view adults as idiots. We have a problem in this society that kids think they know more than adults...lets not encourage it through educational shows like Sesame Street. If children are to value education, they should be taught to at least respect and recognize that most adults can teach them instead of the other way around. VERY disappointed.
Educator Written byshashabel9 June 25, 2011

BIG BIRD ONCE SANG THE ABCS LIKE

lol ab cdef ghij klmnop qrstuv wxyz
Parent of a 2 year old Written byLady Dee October 4, 2010

I love these clips for kiddie entertainment & grown-ups love it too!

This show is so-o-o educational, and very comical, which makes for good clean entertainment for the kids. The content is very engaging from the start to finish of each clip. I highly recommend it for pre-school learning and beyond.
Parent of a 1, 9, 10, 14, and 14 year old Written bycharmsmatuts August 15, 2011

Great for all ages!!!! So Cute!!!!!!

This is a very cute show! This is all puppets talking and teaching little kids early learning skills. Most puppet shows are creepy like Mr. Meaty. This show is not creepy at all. Cute. My daughter can talk now since she is 1 and I ask her questions on what she remembers from Sesame street, like if they would say something like "What is 4+3"? and my son will say 7. And he will answer most questions characters like Elmo would teach my son. Just because this show does stuff that little kids or babies will enjoy doesn't always mean it's only for little kids or babies, I mean, I used to watch this all the time when I was a kid, tween and teen, Well I didn't watch it too much because there were lots of shows I loved, even right now. There are some funny parts like When the cookie monster goes totally crazy over the cookies, Sometimes it would make kids think cookies were healthy which is not true. So they turned him into the Veggie monsters so they can teach kids how important it is to eat healthy foods. That is like one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I mean, Kids would get grossed out sometimes when they have to eat it but I have never laughed harder than this when I have seen somebody going insane over Veggies. When My kids go to school and hang out with their friends, They will always remember how to be a good friend which is what they learned from this show even though my kids 9-14 are too old for some things they already learned at different times instead of watching Sesame Street. It's 50% TV-Y and 50% TV-G. TV-G means this show is for anybody no matter what age. I LOVE IT!!!
Adult Written byPal101 April 9, 2008

Great

thoght this does contain some iffy humor and mild comedy violence and some bad attitude its a great show for younger preschoolers. They could be smarter then average when the enter kindergarted. even older kids like this show!
Adult Written bykbonardi April 9, 2008

Adult Written byKel77 April 9, 2008

Engaging and educational

I have two children, a 2 year old and a 5 year old. They both love the program. It teaches letters, numbers, social lessons and spanish. I couldn't be more pleased with it's content.
Adult Written byJanH April 9, 2008

Lessons for all ages

The best part of Sesame Street is that it cares about kids of all ages and circumstances. It helps everyone deal with each other and shows the best way to interact with peers and all other ages. It helps children get rid of inhibitions and shows them that it GREAT to be different. You can't find such great content on any commercial network.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

A good show

The characters are fun and my kids love the show.
Adult Written byJillsmom April 9, 2008

Great for 2 to 22!

This program continues to be quality television! While my five year old has out-grown Elmo, he continues to be engaged by the rest of the program. Really good stuff!
Parent of a 9, 13, and 16 year old Written byesams June 5, 2010

worst seasosesame street through the years

1969-test show and first episode 1970-grover comes 1972-oscar turns green 1978-sesame street christmas 1981-first repeat 1982-tenth aniversary 1986-time for the 2000's 1989-elmos song is created 1992-time for 3000's 1993- 25th anniversary specail 1997-29th season premire 1998-new theme song 2002-new theme song 2002- time for 4000,s 2004- 35th episode specail 2006- abby comes to sesame street 2007-new theme song 2007-murray comes to sesame street u know from 1972 2009-the 40th anniversary
Parent of a 2, 5, 9, 9, 13, and 17 year old Written byAmjmcpk1 October 24, 2010

5 * * * * *

Great for when my older kids are in school! I got my youngest over seas so she is a different skin color then me and when she heared the " i love my hair song" she felt so so happy and excited because she was a different and beatiful girl!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bysRicker March 26, 2010

Family favorite

We all love curling up and learning together with jim hensons classic and newer puppets!! I grew up with this program, and that makes my kids love it even more.
Adult Written bymememememe1 June 4, 2012

i think its bad

it it terribal
Adult Written byOriginal May 6, 2011

Awesome kids show!

This is the best educational tv show when I was a toddler. My favorite character is Elmo!
Adult Written bybeingvenus April 9, 2008

Can't go Wrong with this classic

I absolutely adore sesame street. It engages my four year old, makes me crack up and has tons of interactive, educational material. It is, of course, imperitive to reinforce all of this with educational play but the show itself is wonderful.
Educator and Parent of a 2 and 2 year old Written byfraurice April 12, 2013

Old=Good, New=Bad

Sesame Street has evolved. So much so that I really don't like my kids watching the new episodes. It is now much to quick paced and doesn't show what I would consider to be positive social behavior. The OLDER Sesame Street episodes however, are a favorite. They may be out of date, but they are at least more age appropriate for my 2 year olds. I did go to a talk at the local library about Sesame Street, and the muppeteer for Cookie Monster said that the emphasis used to be on the pre-preschool set and now it is on the preschool/early elementary set. My advice...skip the horrendous, Elmo-centric new episodes, and get the dvds "Old School Sesame Street" or watch clips on YouTube.
Educator Written bycaffinegirl85 January 21, 2012

great for your children!

When i was a child i grew up on this show and i loved it. im happy Pbs still has it on for the newer generation of younger children. espically Big Bird he was the best!